Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Giant Rat has stolen {{Preserved Toad Brain[4]}}!  (Read 1384 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
A Giant Rat has stolen {{Preserved Toad Brain[4]}}!
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:08:26 pm »

Is it normal for Giant Rats to successfully thieve from underground civs? Is it also normal that this message shows up even though I have not even found the civ?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: A Giant Rat has stolen {{Preserved Toad Brain[4]}}!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:09:16 pm »

Yes, happens to me all the time.  Also "Giant Cave Alligator has given birth to hatchlings" is a common one for me.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:39:44 am »

Is it normal for Giant Rats to successfully thieve from underground civs? Is it also normal that this message shows up even though I have not even found the civ?

Yep. Even though you haven't found them, you can see their stuff on the stocks menu [z]. They probably have weapons, often made of the wood of cave trees, and leather/food from cave animals. If you tab to see the individual items, you can even zoom your screen to the area of the caverns where they are, even though it's not discovered yet for you.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 12:42:02 am »

my most feared messages are when female blowgunner or something gave birth to triplets and such. I fear that one day there'd be too many of them for me to handle.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:20:43 am »

Yes.  Having more idea of the lifestyle and family occasions of the Blowgunner Clan two caverns down than of my own fortress was interesting, and I imagined the number of dwarves not working was related to then sitting down to watch the next episode of the sage, Dallas style...

Especially their tragic climax as they were slaughtered by an unknown FB.  It was like watching someone else play a separate game down there...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 06:50:58 am »

Yes, happens to me all the time.  Also "Giant Cave Alligator has given birth to hatchlings" is a common one for me.

How did you do that? I thought wild animals didn't give birth in 2010 yet?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:12:49 am »

How did you do that? I thought wild animals didn't give birth in 2010 yet?
animals with [PET] tags will produce offsprings even when wild, usually 6-9 months after migrating to your fort.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 09:13:46 am »

my most feared messages are when female blowgunner or something gave birth to triplets and such. I fear that one day there'd be too many of them for me to handle.
I believe their kids are friendly to you.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:16:23 am »

Your belief is going to be shattered as you read the next sentence: They dont.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:18:00 am »

Huh. That's usefull information. My forts never live long enough to need it anyway.

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 11:02:36 am »

Your belief is going to be shattered as you read the next sentence: They dont.

Actually, they do. I've killed entire cave-swallow men families, except for the ones marked Friendly (Swallow-men breed quickly, I guess, seeing as I had 18 Friendly children and young adults with only 7 adult hostiles). Those ones are perfectly fine. They then grew up and kept living in the caverns, killing random things that encroached on their territory.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 01:22:04 pm »

You should weaponize them!  Cage trap them, put them above ground, and let them fight sieges!  Or let them fight FB with deadly deadly fumes.