Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best training Weapons  (Read 687 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Best training Weapons
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:09:57 pm »

Due to an incident involving cold weather and an aquifer, I have no stone or metal. Thus my entire fortress defense is a single (legendary) fighter and his war grizzly bear.

I want my soldier to take down the native camels faster. In short: What training weapon hurts enemies the most?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Best training Weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:14:21 pm »

If you have obsidian, then a short sort made from the crafting shop would be best.  Aside from that, hmm... I should think an axe.  All training weapons are blunts, and axes should be bigger than spears and swords, right?  So more damage.  In this case, your material will matter, because density affects your blunt weapon power.  Wiki up "wood" to get the density values.

Also, since you have wood, I assume you have a woodcutter?  This woodcutter is equipped with an axe, no?  Take that axe, and give your cutter a training axe, it works, don't ask.  Soldier gets a copper axe, woodcutter keeps going.  You'll need to make your cutter into a miner, so that he'll drop the axe and try to equip a pick, or manually Dump the axe, change the cutter's job, and then assign military.  Bonus points if your woodcutter IS your militia!

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:16:08 pm »

Camels, especially to a legendary fighter, shouldn't bother him much at all.  In fact if he's legendary, I suggest not giving him a training weapon, under the risk he might get attached to it after butchering Camels.  I've always favorited Spears though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:18:57 pm by squeakyReaper »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:17:57 pm »

Good point too.  If he's a wrestler, he's likely to grab the animal and keep it still and/or strangle it.  That means less running around and more time in close combat.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:21:34 pm »

Throw him in unarmed and get his wrestling skill up. A high-skill wrestler can toss goblins off of mountains.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:46:55 pm »

Also, since you have wood, I assume you have a woodcutter?  This woodcutter is equipped with an axe, no?  Take that axe, and give your cutter a training axe, it works, don't ask.  Soldier gets a copper axe, woodcutter keeps going.  You'll need to make your cutter into a miner, so that he'll drop the axe and try to equip a pick, or manually Dump the axe, change the cutter's job, and then assign military.  Bonus points if your woodcutter IS your militia!
:facepalm:

Camels, especially to a legendary fighter, shouldn't bother him much at all.  In fact if he's legendary, I suggest not giving him a training weapon, under the risk he might get attached to it after butchering Camels.
It's not that he's having trouble; before the bear, he attacked a single camel for weeks without killing it. Good training, but not productive. I'm just trying to make him faster at getting the meat and bones and more prepared for ambushes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 09:54:03 pm »

Actually, your best bet is likely to wait.  Ambushes come at a certain value limit, and if you're below that value, no ambushes.  I think that's 10k created wealth.  So, lay low, buy a new pick, dig deep!

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 02:14:27 am »

Crossbows,  lots and lots of wooden bolts
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 02:18:12 am »

Bone bolts too.  Slaughter, butcher, bone bolts, repeat.