Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nerves.  (Read 764 times)

kokoszka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nerves.
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:52:05 pm »

Ok, i have a difficult situation here. My fort prevailed hordes of enemies, leaving many many crippled dwarves. They have the motory or sensory nerv damage that does not heal. Since i'm hesitant to just kill them, i decided to edit my save's raw file adding the [healing rate 1000] thing to nervous tissue. Will it work? I'm waiting and waiting and nothing happens (maybe 1000 is a very long time?) My save didn't crash.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Nerves.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:53:37 pm »

No.  The nerves are severed, and severed body parts don't grow back, no matter how much you increase the healing rate.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

kokoszka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:55:35 pm »

Ok, thanks!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:08:42 pm »

There's a thread about this in the modding forum.  What was decided is that nerves are fragile things, and that changing their density and elasticity has interesting results, namely that hammers will bounce off them like rubber!  Once severed, it never heals, no matter the healing rate, but if bruised or such, it will eventually heal.  If your military dwarf has suffered important nerve damage, they either need a desk job or Extensive Physical Therapy (read: Fun Lever).

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »

"If you want your dwarves to heal nerve damage, go into the raws, find the tissue_template_default and set [HEALING_RATE:100] to the NERVE_TEMPLATE. Optionally, specify 2000 for a much slower rate; bone has a healing rate of 1000, so this will make nerve damage heal at half the speed of broken bones."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:20:39 pm »

"If you want your dwarves to heal nerve damage, go into the raws, find the tissue_template_default and set [HEALING_RATE:100] to the NERVE_TEMPLATE. Optionally, specify 2000 for a much slower rate; bone has a healing rate of 1000, so this will make nerve damage heal at half the speed of broken bones."
Except they won't, because nerves are only ever severed, and severed body parts never heal.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:00 pm »

I have four total invalids in my current fort right now who basically just lay in bed and sleep all day. For dwarfitarian reasons I haven't killed them. They just lay there and keep getting fed. Have never seen them wake up. Maybe they're all in comas, but they seem quite happy with their situation. I changed their job titles to "Invalid" so I wouldn't accidentally assign them to anything.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »

Except they won't, because nerves are only ever severed, and severed body parts never heal.

Oh? Really? Perhaps you should correct the DF wiki post on healing that I quoted?

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:28:16 pm »

I have four total invalids in my current fort right now who basically just lay in bed and sleep all day. For dwarfitarian reasons I haven't killed them. They just lay there and keep getting fed. Have never seen them wake up. Maybe they're all in comas, but they seem quite happy with their situation. I changed their job titles to "Invalid" so I wouldn't accidentally assign them to anything.

This is precisely what I do, and when I start to collect them, I just lock the doors of the hospital and let them starve/die of dehydration.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:25:52 pm »

What about the old 40d trick of removing a body part and then restoring it? I vaguely recall reading that it doesn't work like it used to (which was really simply), but I don't know if it's completely off the menu now.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.