Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wide vs narrow hallways  (Read 4391 times)

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wide vs narrow hallways
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 12:07:19 am »

So, is the situation the same 10 years later?
I haven't noticed any downside to having a 1 square passages - do they slow down the traffic?

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 01:12:10 am »

Harder to tell on Steam version because you don't have the same notifications that you would see when dwarves would be going past each other in classic.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 07:13:10 pm »

I am pretty sure they do. I try to make important hallways 2 tiles wide and major thoroughfares 3-4.

So, is the situation the same 10 years later?
I haven't noticed any downside to having a 1 square passages - do they slow down the traffic?
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

armads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2022, 08:00:20 pm »

In my experience, 3 wide hallways allows for one lane going one way, another going the other, and one for dwarves passing each other. You can usually get by with just 2, if you really want, but in general I think 3 is optimal.

The exception of course, are stairs, which should never be less than 3x3, because dwarves carrying things up and down need a lot of room if you've got hauling jobs and 200 dwarves.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2023, 09:38:30 am »

Yes, 1-wide slows traffic.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2023, 12:06:00 pm »

1-wide corridors and stairways are fine when there is only one way to get into an area, like that staircase going down into the depths. Dwarfs slow down when passing each other, but once the work is completed in the area, it doesn't matter.

The problem with 1-wide passageways happens when you have more than one path going into an area, because when two dwarfs are going in opposite directions in a 1-wide tunnel and they meet, one of those dwarfs will turn around and take another path. If that other path happens to go through 500 tiles of caverns, so be it.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: 1 [2]