Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plump Helmet Men.  (Read 1957 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plump Helmet Men.
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:47:15 pm »

I love the little guys. What about you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Plump Helmet Men.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:13:21 pm »

*NOM*

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:43 pm »

I have yet to see a Plump Helmet Man in any fortress I've run.  But now I feel an urge to mod them to be breedable, and build a fortress dedicated to breeding them as a food source.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:06:12 pm »

That does in fact sound very dwarfy, and like a positively delightful alternative to farming!  The only issue is if you can get enough of them to support your population, as I should think it would require a great many of them.  Fun fact - you can make these modifications in an existing fort.  Naturally, they have a lifespan of 60-80 years and are children for 12 years before maturing, so you may want to knock this down to 1-5 child years.  They [CAN_LEARN] so unless you have modded ethics, you'll need to tweak that to remove intelligence tokens.  They seem to be only edible when butchered, and not when killed in the field, but I've not tested this so I'm only reading raws.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:17:21 pm »

I've got some tame ones in my current fort, just modded to be tameable.  Their children go through the baby/child/adult cycle.  And all you get for butchering them is a "plump helmet man tissue".  Which I don't think counts as food, since it's either not on the kitchen list, or I missed it.

Not much you can do with them either.  They're like tigermen.  So they gain in social skills with each other, but can't be assigned work.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:19:50 pm »

I've got some tame ones in my current fort, just modded to be tameable.  Their children go through the baby/child/adult cycle.  And all you get for butchering them is a "plump helmet man tissue".  Which I don't think counts as food, since it's either not on the kitchen list, or I missed it.

Not much you can do with them either.  They're like tigermen.  So they gain in social skills with each other, but can't be assigned work.

We should mod their bucher-returns to a few units of mushroom wine and a few PHs.  :P

Also, PHM mayor?

YESS

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:38:48 pm »

Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:40 pm »

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:03:14 pm »

I'm tempted to mod a fortress with plump helmet men in it instead of dwarves, and have dwarfs be tamable and edible and the food source.

A strange sort of commentary on dwarf's indwarfanity to dwarfs, or something.  :D

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:18:16 pm »

I'm tempted to mod a fortress with plump helmet men in it instead of dwarves, and have dwarfs be tamable and edible and the food source.

A strange sort of commentary on dwarf's indwarfanity to dwarfs, or something.  :D

Sig'd!
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 11:23:57 pm »

Having terrible DND flashbacks. My DM at one point killed my Dwarf, as we'd stumbled upon a colony of Myconids (mushroom people). As he plays DF as well, he had the Myconids freak out upon seeing me and attack. I was dragged away screaming after they broke a few of my limbs.

I was never seen again, but it was assumed that I was killed and used as manure.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 11:35:12 pm »

Used as manure...  Does that mean you were responsible for the next generation of mushroom men?

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 12:10:00 am »

Used as manure...  Does that mean you were responsible for the next generation of mushroom men?

Either that or they sat down to dinner. On my rotting corpse.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 04:41:49 am »

Urist McMario likes Plump Helmet Men for their shrewd advice and tastiness with butter and garlic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:43:39 am by cog disso »
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.
Pages: [1] 2