Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Round 18 - Game Over  (Read 124952 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Round 18 - Day 2 - Death to Psychics!
« Reply #285 on: February 18, 2011, 10:04:09 am »

Dariush: You never answered my question:

Dariush:
Jim, Toaster:
At the start of the game I find it more useful to wait for someone who slips while responding to someone else and focus on him than randomly sling questions around. And Toaster, I find your overreaction not only to someone who claims to play passively, but to someone who defends this playstyle (i.e. me) pretty suspicious. Why are you so jumpy?

How (and where) am I overreacting and being jumpy?  I don't like people being passive and never have.

Ottofar:  Here are, as best as I can tell, your contributions to the game:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77045.msg1968791#msg1968791  You voting me when Jim asked you why you weren't
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77045.msg1971419#msg1971419  Making an excuse
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77045.msg1976156#msg1976156  Showing fear
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77045.msg1978216#msg1978216  Admitting to being lazy with your vote
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77045.msg1978735#msg1978735  Moving it up to self-preservation.  Also admitting to being scummy without doing anything about it, AND posting a scumlist without reasoning, which you never go back to provide
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77045.msg1981595#msg1981595  Here you move your vote onto someone not on your scum list for "flimsy reasoning" (snicker).  Said reasoning is the same reason you had previously voted me.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77045.msg1992706#msg1992706  Your most recent post, where you continue to not provide reasoning.

What would you say you've brought to the town this game?

Argembarger:  I missed the second half of your question.  I don't have anything for thinking exty+vig except gut feeling, and the way Joker came out and declared two vigs strongly.  That went nowhere since he claimed Enchanter.

This is half my post- I gotta run for a bit.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2011, 10:13:21 am »

Dariush: You never answered my question:

Dariush:
Jim, Toaster:
At the start of the game I find it more useful to wait for someone who slips while responding to someone else and focus on him than randomly sling questions around. And Toaster, I find your overreaction not only to someone who claims to play passively, but to someone who defends this playstyle (i.e. me) pretty suspicious. Why are you so jumpy?

How (and where) am I overreacting and being jumpy?  I don't like people being passive and never have.

Sorry, I didn't notice it.
Dariush:
Toaster:
You vote MBP for assuming the passive position, which is a viable strategy, considering that this is first day and almost nothing happened. In all probability he could simply lurk his way to the next important event and nobody would bat an eye. Also, he said nothing about everyone sitting back and waiting. This looks remarkably like looking for easy lynch targets.

Viable strategy for who?  Scum?  How is sitting on the sideline and watching what happens good for the town?  Don't you think town should be active instead of reactive? 
Yes, I consider that response an overreaction.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2011, 12:10:45 pm »

Dariush: I don't people playing passive, doubly so when they admit it, and I'm not going to apologize for it.

Why aren't you questioning any of your scumpicks?

Book:
Well, my D1 scum list was Janus first, then MBP, Org, and you.  Since that was pretty damn off, I think that Book fellow is the new #1.  I dare you to call it an OMGUS.
Yeah, it was pretty damn off. How sure are you now? How many scum do you think are currently voting me?

Confident enough to see you hang, barring anything else coming up.

That list is currently: Jim Groovester, Leafsnail, Mr.Person, Toaster, webadict
Hmmm... I'd say max two, but probably one.  I'm not confident on which is which.

Claim:  Your reasoning that it being that fast makes it scummy just sucks, and is borderline WIFOM.  As far as web's defense goes as part of your case, you called it suspicious before that happened, so that doesn't hold for your first statement.

Web in general:  I'm not looking for his defense, but I did made myself stick out early on.  Something like that is going to form the meat of people's arguments.  He should make his points more with reason and less with statistics.  He can't be role-based certain since he said that D1, but I take that to mean he's quite confident in his statement.

Leafsnail:  What's your view of Web's use of statistics?  Who else do you suspect?

Jim:  Do you think web is scummy for bullshit statistics?  Who are you #2 and #3 scumpicks?

Pandar:
Quite a case you just built, Mr.Person. I need to shower then sleep, but I'll be hoping to wake up to... telling answers from Jim either way.

Have your reads of the two of them changed since D1?  You weren't very committal on them D1.

While I've got you, who are your #2 and #3 scumpicks?  Who on your scumlist do you find worthy of shooting if they don't hang tonight?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2011, 01:55:08 pm »

It's not just your position on bullshit statistics, it's that you've been trying to convince everybody he's scum by throwing as much as you can at him, most of it questionable.
How questionable? The core of it I'd say is solid: his defence, his claim of certainty he can't have, and his utter crap numbers used to back it up. In addition, his little things like "thank you for admitting you want to chainlynch the kooks", and that "you shorten because I pointed it'd be scummy not to" are not just irritating, but scummy on their own merit.

Eh, you'll forgive me if I don't want to trawl through your infinities of text you traded back and forth with webadict to look for points you make that are inconsequential, irrelevant, and not even indicative of scumminess.

The meta thing is still the most salient example in my mind, and I don't really buy your explanation.

Jim:  Do you think web is scummy for bullshit statistics?  Who are you #2 and #3 scumpicks?

Not really, since webadict does bullshit like that all the time. I don't think it's an effective scumhunting strategy, but whatever.

Mr.Person is in #2 for a lot of his Day 1 stuff. Jokerman-EXE and Pandarsenic are up next, because they are both waving their town flags about the things they did. I hate it when players wave their town flags.

Jokerman-EXE says he didn't make it in time to ask for an extension or change his vote, or even better, turn off his enchanter power. He also mentions he wasn't sure JTF was scum and that he saved him. So, was it intentional or unintentional? Seems like he wants it both ways, to have the credit for saving somebody and avoid the blame for not letting the lynch go through.

Pandarsenic killed JTF to settle the matter. I appreciate that. But why is he doing the town favors instead of following up his own targets? I don't really like it.

webadict, why do you say Toaster is town because Book is scum? That looks like either/or reasoning to me. Or, you know, crap.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2011, 02:00:15 pm »

The Whiteboard
Book: Jim Groovester, Leafsnail, Mr.Person, Toaster, webadict
Leafsnail: Book
Ottofar: Argembarger, Dariush, Pandarsenic

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Monday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2011, 02:12:31 pm »

Ottofar: Two vig, or camo ext + vig? Top 3 scumpicks? Why so lazy?

Camo+Ext, I guess.
Soonish
PFP'ing.

How "soonish" is "soonish"? It feels like you're waiting until I get bored of you and go away.

Also, where'd Jokerman go? Why isn't he voting? It bothers me that he's not being more transparent, considering he's a confirmed enchanter.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2011, 02:52:19 pm »

Tomorrow.

Last PFP is this. Hopefully.

And Toaster, I admit it, this is my most useless game in ages.

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2011, 03:02:38 pm »

Crazy week. Sorry.

I'm the Enchanter; stop pushing me to place my vote, because my vote is a lot heavier than yours.

I wanted to save Janus, yes, but I would have been willing to let him die to get information out of the day. As things fell out, I'm both happy that I protected town and rather bummed that I didn't get to contribute more. Does that satisfy?

I have to do a lot of really short-notice stuff today, so I might not be on til much later tonight. I will be back, though.
Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 18, 2011, 03:10:27 pm »

Pandar:
Quite a case you just built, Mr.Person. I need to shower then sleep, but I'll be hoping to wake up to... telling answers from Jim either way.

Have your reads of the two of them changed since D1?  You weren't very committal on them D1.

While I've got you, who are your #2 and #3 scumpicks?  Who on your scumlist do you find worthy of shooting if they don't hang tonight?

I'd say a combination of Book and Jokerman, for stalling yesterday in the no-lynch that forced me to waste my nightkill being the law.

Pandarsenic killed JTF to settle the matter. I appreciate that. But why is he doing the town favors instead of following up his own targets? I don't really like it.

Are you really going to apply the Too Townie Fallacy to me? Because that's what I'm hearing. I don't like that you're taking issue with me doing what we've both agreed was the proper thing to do.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 18, 2011, 03:26:06 pm »

Does that satisfy?

Not really. Not even the town you temporarily saved was happy with your decision. So why are you happy with it?

How about instead of everything you did in action and inaction was for the town's greatest benefit, you say this: You screwed up. I'd be willing to buy that more than the crap you're trying to sell me now. I still wouldn't be happy with it, but at least I'd be willing to say you were being honest.

Are you really going to apply the Too Townie Fallacy to me? Because that's what I'm hearing. I don't like that you're taking issue with me doing what we've both agreed was the proper thing to do.

Oh, damn. With mafiascum on your side you must be right.

I don't care.

If you don't like it, tough. More than enough scum have paraded around their protown contributions for me to be suspicious about it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 18, 2011, 04:23:47 pm »

Book argues over the same technicalities again while not refuting the actual scummy points, and invokes staggeringly bullshit statistics (probabilities of over 1?  So, uh, more than 100% chance of that event happening?).  Y'know what?  No, I'm not gonna go through that shit point by point again.

Leafsnail:  What's your view of Web's use of statistics?  Who else do you suspect?
Not sure about web's, but Book's use is fundamentally wrong and retarded.

Nativeforeigner is still on my list.  Jokerman's wasting of the day and his subsequent overexplanation are bad.  Darvi is bad for the post below.

Holy shit, the first time I see the thread after the night and there're already several walls of text.
First of all, I want to apologize for my passive play day one - as I said, I had a busy week and I was thinking more than writing.
Book: Ottofar - scum, just as day one.
Argembarger - I think town, but I can't pinpoint reason.
Leafsnail - his answer day one seemed pretty solid, and I don't have much else, so I'd say he's town.
Top scumpick:
Ottofar, webadict because of his useless statistics, Toaster for the same reason as yesterday.
Now, why do you alternately refer to webadict's numbers and discard them as bullshit?
What in the heck is this?  You seem to miss out you're stuff on Book for some reason, mark 2 random people as town (you don't even seem to have any towny tells... for me it's just "lack of scumminess" and for Argembarger it's... what?  Why put it on your list if you can't explain it at all?

Then webadict for "useless statistics".  Even if they were completely wrong, I don't really see why that'd be a scumtell on its own.

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 18, 2011, 06:04:09 pm »

Unfortunately, it does make sense. I don't really believe you would waste your time trying to bus your partner, as you seem to assert by implying I, as well, would not bus a partner but would protect mine. Because you seem to think I would protect a partner, I will therefore imply that you WOULD NOT attack a partner with such nonsense. This is simple projection.
That still makes no sense. I make no implications on Toaster's alignment due to your defence. It's you who is scummy for it, not him.

You are still not justifying your jump from "a slight town tell" and "more likely" to the conviction with which you assert his towniehood. This is not "a slight tell" that you're defending him for. You've claimed it's defence of a townie. How did you make that jump? And you are incorrectly applying Occam's Razor: it specifically does not apply when there may be active intent to deceive (which is the nature of this game), and it never provides certainties, merely tendencies.
I am justifying my jump as inversely proportional to your attitude toward his lynch. You are overlooking that one thing that I have repeated over and over again. It was a slight town tell to begin with. Your attitude turned it into a certainty, as you suggested chainlynching, didn't scumhunt, and turned a null tell into a scumtell into a null tell into a scumtell ad nauseum.
Bullshit. I never asserted certainty he was fakeclaiming, I merely distrusted it. Prove my attitude turned to a certainty, or you're a liar. I never suggested chainlynching, merely pointed out how retarded your numbers were. Prove I did or you're a liar.

Bah again. He made a scummy comment. I called him on it, and did follow up with a direct question. He answered to my satisfaction. I moved on with the game. It certainly wasn't a big enough scumtell to warrant much more attention.
One question? Is it because you were certain you could calm him down first? You probably would have voted for him if he didn't, as is your tendency.
Of course I would have voted him if he didn't answer the question to my satisfaction, but he did. I don't see your point here.

You voted Leafsnail after he attacked you with valid reasons.
Please cite the valid reasons you mentioned. Hint: I didn't shorten the day or tied the vote, and I didn't call for a chainlynch.

I will call it activelurking because you were attempting to appear active by attacking Jokerman, instead of your target Toaster, who you were avoiding. Your failure to follow-up shows lack of care for even wanting to scumhunt.
You're quick to assume who my target is. I was voting Toaster at the time, as I didn't trust his claim, and stayed on him until I found a scummier target: when you strolled in with bullshit numbers "proving" that Toaster was confirmed town, and you backtracked from slight town tell to certain town to slight town tell to certain town ad nauseam.

And yet, you didn't rebut some of my points. Does that means they're valid? You can call my statistics bunk. Even if they are wrong, you haven't proven you're not scum. You've just proven that a bunch of numbers are wrong. Which I'm pretty sure they aren't anyhow.
I believe I've refuted every actual point of yours. The ones I haven't are not valid, but idiotic misreadings of a post (like "thank you for admitting this or that", bah).

My proving your numbers bullshit doesn't prove I'm not scum, it proves you are, as you brought them up as backup for a very scummy defence, as justification for "knowing" stuff you certainly couldn't know, and as proof for you to from slight town tell to certain town to slight town tell to certain town ad nauseam.

Right, so you're saying that instead of my scumhunting, I have been doing nothing but posting nonsense. And you're trying to get me to suggest chainlynching. Your plan has a couple of holes in it, the biggest being that I've brought up legitimate points about you that you fail to defend adequately and some points that you fail to mention at all. Probably because you're too busy backtracking.
It's worse than posting nonsense. It's posting nonsense and then using said nonsense as evidence for your decisions about people's alignment. That's awfully scummy. But go ahead and cite the "legitimate points" you say I've not addressed. And you say I'm "too busy" backtracking, which obviously means you think I'm backtracking now. Please prove that; where am I backtracking now?

I also love that you say that you're not proposing a strategy based on numbers. I also am not.
Yes, you are. You are proposing the strategy of assuming kook claimants as confirmed townies based on your bullshit statistics. That's what's scummy: proposing a strategy based on bullshit numbers, as you have (and I have not) done.

Now you're just getting my goat. I didn't stop the lynch yesterday, that was Jokerman.
Ooooo, nice try. You were the last one to suggest a shortening, losing the lead.
What lead? How does not extending cause anyone to "lose the lead"?

You weren't voting for any of the people that were being lynched. You didn't even want them lynched. You shortened, though, for no reason. It is your fault.
Neither were Leafsnail, Ottofar, Native, and I forget who else. Is it their fault too? No, I didn't particularly want either of them lynched, they were not high on my scum list, hence I didn't vote them. And I did have reasons, which I posted in reply to Janus. He indirectly asked me to take a stance for or against extending, so I did. Your trying to blame this on me is, frankly, a made up reason to try to increase your case on me, where rational thought clearly shows it's not the case.

Bullshit. Go ahead and quote the fifty posts. This is my position, which has remained constant: A Kook claim, on its own, is a null tell. The circumstances of that claim, along with the reading of a person, can be scummy. I've also said that while I distrust Toaster's claim, I don't have enough on him to call him scum, so I moved my vote to where I saw scummier: you & your minion Leafsnail.
No, your reasoning is terrible. When he first looked at his PM (No, I don't KNOW this, but that's what he claims, so I'm going to take his word for it) and claimed instead of looking at it and claiming an hour later IS NOT LESS SCUMMY. Your distrust of Toaster's claim stems from wanting to turn the null tell INTO a scumtell. You didn't apply appropriate measures in trying to determine Toaster's alignment.
So, where are the fifty posts? And what makes you able to say where my distrust stems from? Who are you to decide what appropriate measures are? No. This entire thing is bullshit. You have failed to prove that I've moved back and forth between null and scum tell. You are a liar. As I said from the beginning, the claim is a null tell, the circumstances and the person can be scummy.

I also love how you're no longer pairing me with Toaster. Do you admit he is town, or is that you trying to not provoke Toaster, as well?
I most certainly do not admit he's town. But your scummitude and his are independent. You are perfectly capable of defending someone you know is town (because you are scum) to incriminate someone attacking him. You are also perfectly capable of defending a scumbuddy. Your scummy defence doesn't either absolve him or condemn him, it merely condemns you.

Summary.

- Wuba lies when he claims I ever asserted certainty that Toaster was scum. He has no evidence for this, and he knows it.
- Wuba lies when he claims I've backtracked on my stance on a kook claim. He claimed he could quote fifty posts about it, but failed to find a single one when challenged.
- Wuba lies when he claims he didn't propose a bullshit strategy based on bullshit numbers, he did: make claimed kooks into confirmed townies.
- Wuba lies when he claims I "lost the lead" D1, whatever that means.
- Wuba lies when he claims I called for chainlynching people.
- Wuba is guilty of backtracking from "slight town tell" to certain town to "slight town tell" ad nauseam. Unlike him, I can prove it by actual quotes, and will if people are interested.
- Wuba is guilty of posting nonsense statistics, and using them as evidence for his defence of Toaster. He's guilty of claiming knowledge he couldn't possibly have, and guilty of continuing to defend these bullshit underpinnings of his case even after proven bullshit.

Conclusion: Webadict is scum.

Claim:  Your reasoning that it being that fast makes it scummy just sucks, and is borderline WIFOM.  As far as web's defense goes as part of your case, you called it suspicious before that happened, so that doesn't hold for your first statement.
It being fast was enough for an RVS vote, and for me to not immediately buy it. Your lack of opinion on wuba's defence happened later, and is merely added to your case when that happened, just like your three D1 scumpicks being townies didn't get added until after the fact. His defending you doesn't make you either more town nor more scum; your lack of opinion on it until repeatedly prompted, however, is suspicious.

Web in general:  [...]He should make his points more with reason and less with statistics.  He can't be role-based certain since he said that D1, but I take that to mean he's quite confident in his statement.
Yes, but why? Originally it was because of his bullshit statistics. Now it seems he's found faith. No reasoning whatsoever. It's that certainty, found so fast early D1, in the face of lack of any real evidence at all, which I find scummiest in him.

Book argues over the same technicalities again while not refuting the actual scummy points,
Please cite the "actual scummy points" I haven't refuted.

and invokes [wuba's] staggeringly bullshit statistics (probabilities of over 1?  So, uh, more than 100% chance of that event happening?).  Y'know what?  No, I'm not gonna go through that shit point by point again.
That's what wuba claims, a higher than 100% that there's a kook. He says it's certain there's at least a kook, so at least one of them is a confirmed townie just by virtue of claiming. But yeah, let's not rehash.

Then webadict for "useless statistics".  Even if they were completely wrong, I don't really see why that'd be a scumtell on its own.
They're a scumtell because he uses it as justification for his defence of Toaster, and his certainty that kook claims are genuine. It's his position on this that is scummy, and he uses bullshit statistics to "prove" it.

Dariush: I refer to them to prove they are bullshit, as I've explained above. Question for you: what's your read on Mr. Person? How would you have voted yesterday if you had known Jokerman was an enchanter?

Mr.Person: Please tell me how many of the people voting me you think are scum, and your read on Leafsnail's arguments on me. You mentioned five scumpicks earlier; can you elaborate who and why?

Argembarger, Ottofar: Please weigh in with your thoughts on Wuba vs. me, your reads on Leafsnail, Toaster and Person, and your top scumpicks.
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 18, 2011, 06:20:47 pm »

Book argues over the same technicalities again while not refuting the actual scummy points, and invokes staggeringly bullshit statistics (probabilities of over 1?  So, uh, more than 100% chance of that event happening?).  Y'know what?  No, I'm not gonna go through that shit point by point again.

Not sure about web's, but Book's use is fundamentally wrong and retarded.

Nativeforeigner is still on my list.  Jokerman's wasting of the day and his subsequent overexplanation are bad.  Darvi is bad for the post below.

Holy shit, the first time I see the thread after the night and there're already several walls of text.
First of all, I want to apologize for my passive play day one - as I said, I had a busy week and I was thinking more than writing.
Book: Ottofar - scum, just as day one.
Argembarger - I think town, but I can't pinpoint reason.
Leafsnail - his answer day one seemed pretty solid, and I don't have much else, so I'd say he's town.
Top scumpick:
Ottofar, webadict because of his useless statistics, Toaster for the same reason as yesterday.
Now, why do you alternately refer to webadict's numbers and discard them as bullshit?
What in the heck is this?  You seem to miss out you're stuff on Book for some reason, mark 2 random people as town (you don't even seem to have any towny tells... for me it's just "lack of scumminess" and for Argembarger it's... what?  Why put it on your list if you can't explain it at all?

At least you're not tunneling me anymore.

Heading to work, something productive when I get back.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2011, 10:42:01 pm »

This post and the next intentionally left blank, to allow the LurkerTracker be at the top of the next page.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 18, 2011, 10:42:27 pm »

This post also intentionally left blank, to allow the LurkerTracker be at the top of the next page.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40