Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Round 18 - Game Over  (Read 125023 times)

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Round 18
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2011, 03:39:32 am »

I don't disagree, and my intuition has been wrong before, but he's still at the top of my list. But the day is young, so let's see what the next day or two of discussion will bring.

Who are your top three picks for now, Jim?
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2011, 07:42:58 am »

@Ottofar:
- Why did you vote Toaster *after* finding out there had been two kooks in a previous game?

Laziness, mostly. He was as good vote as any. All kinds of deleting on my phone takes ages.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2011, 08:41:26 am »

I'm going to call for an Extension. This might take me a while, and I will be busy until late.

I apologize for any wall of text that may be forthcoming.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2011, 10:49:29 am »

Oh, yes, I forgot, extend

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2011, 11:14:11 am »

You also forgot to answer my question.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2011, 11:15:11 am »

Native:
But would you have voted him if he didn't have any votes but the circumstances were otherwise the same?

Yeah, pressure him a little. But he already had enough pressure.

What do you plan to do with your vote then?  You're not using it now.

Dariush:
Toaster:
You vote MBP for assuming the passive position, which is a viable strategy, considering that this is first day and almost nothing happened. In all probability he could simply lurk his way to the next important event and nobody would bat an eye. Also, he said nothing about everyone sitting back and waiting. This looks remarkably like looking for easy lynch targets.

Viable strategy for who?  Scum?  How is sitting on the sideline and watching what happens good for the town?  Don't you think town should be active instead of reactive? 

MBP:
For now i'm concentrating on the 2 kook business.

What are your suspicions among those who haven't claimed kook?

Ottofar:
Ottofar, Why would you not have claimed if toaster did not do it first?

I was afraid of the 'hardheaded idiots', as someone put it.

Why are you afraid?

@Ottofar:
- Why did you vote Toaster *after* finding out there had been two kooks in a previous game?

Laziness, mostly. He was as good vote as any. All kinds of deleting on my phone takes ages.

Are you trying to look scummy?

Jim:
I didn't coerce Ottofar into anything. How Ottofar responded was up to Ottofar. He responded poorly, just like Ottofar. Do you see me calling him scum for it? No.

Did you expect him to vote me in response?

Janus:  Of the five people you asked questions here, which two are the most suspicious?  Do you think your Org vote is doing any good?

Book:  Same way I would as town- as soon as possible.  I somewhat agree with Person's stance.  If someone claimed Kook in a post-D1 massclaim without anyone claiming Agent against it, I wouldn't be strongly fazed by it.  If someone claimed it in response to a dopp result on them, I would be very hard pressed to believe them.

With regard to the timing of the claim, I did it so soon after the game started because I was on when the role PM came out.  I wasn't going to wait to start up RV, and there's only one first post to claim Kook.

Finally, I'm all for the extension.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2011, 11:58:10 am »

Jim, Toaster:
Toaster:
You vote MBP for assuming the passive position, which is a viable strategy, considering that this is first day and almost nothing happened. In all probability he could simply lurk his way to the next important event and nobody would bat an eye. Also, he said nothing about everyone sitting back and waiting. This looks remarkably like looking for easy lynch targets.

While I disagree with you, why do you think the wait and see approach is a viable town strategy?
At the start of the game I find it more useful to wait for someone who slips while responding to someone else and focus on him than randomly sling questions around. And Toaster, I find your overreaction not only to someone who claims to play passively, but to someone who defends this playstyle (i.e. me) pretty suspicious. Why are you so jumpy?
Dariush: You have been unusually quiet. Who are your top scum picks? Do you think there's an Exterminator? If you were a kook, would you have claimed? What's your read on Mr.Person and JimG?
Well, nobody has been on my back from the beginning and I have a busy week, so it's understandable that I've been quiter than usual. My top scumpick are webadict and Toaster (for reasons I posted earlier). I think there would be an exterminator since there's such a lot of players. If I was a Kook I wouldn't claim since I don't consider myself experienced enough to deal with the stream of question (and votes by 'hard-headed idiots') that would follow. In my opinion the argument between Person and Jim is a whole load of bullshit offset by Ottofar's RVS question; I don't think that merely conflicting points of view about how much must be revealed in answer are something to panic about.

Also, extension. I want to see what our lurkers have to say about the whole matter.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2011, 12:07:10 pm »

There's a lot of information here, guys. So much lovely information. Please remain calm.

NOTE: I may have replaced Book's name with Zathras. Please replace these as seen, since I keep forgetting he changed his name.

You're scum. All scum. But most particularly Org. Tell me, why shouldn't we lynch you Day 1?

A few questions for others while I'm at it:
  • Pandarsenic, if you were a Heroic Guard and knew nothing who would you absolutely protect with your life? Who would you absolutely not?
  • Book, which alien do you think would be most interesting to play? (Also, I now think of Shepard Book anytime I see your name...)
  • Ottofar, why do you think I picked these three people to question?
JanusTwoface. You think I'm kidding when I voted you. Some sort of randomvote, eh? No. I was being incredibly serious here.

Let's start with the first two sentences. If you had left these out, I probably would not have voted for you. While policy lynching Org seems to be your goal in life, it's meh. However, calling everyone scum - making a joke - has caught my attention.

Since quoting these next pieces of evidence would take up a lot of room, I'll post URLs. I'll also give brief descriptions, and how they completely differ from what you usually do.

Bastard Paranormal: You do not, in fact, vote for Org here. You do point out your previous Org policy lynching, and instead vote for Leafsnail. But, instead of cracking a joke, you get straight to business. You ask questions. You do things. That's the difference.
Paranormal 17: I would say that this one is perhaps the most influential. Here, you DO VOTE Org. But, you don't make a single joke. It's serious. There are a few points made, but never a joke.
Supernatural 3: Combining this with Paranormal 17. You make the first post, but you do not make a joke. You don't vote for Org, but that doesn't matter to me.
Supernatural 2: You again make no joke here.

Please note that I chose the last Mephansteras games I could find, as that would have both you and Org in them. Not one of them were you scum. Not one did you make a joke while randomvoting. So, I am voting you for that. Believe it or not, I will see you lynched for such a small detail.

Jim:  Sadly, Meph's script broke down and made me town this time.
However, it did make me a Kook, so that's something.
Interesting. Toaster, webadict and Janus: what do you think of the viability of claiming Kook right away as a scum tactic? We went through this during Bastardnormal, and I still think it's a ballsy but viable possibility.
As a scum tactic? Terrible, really. It makes them more suspicious later on. It saves Agents from having to investigate people that would return Kook right away. We already know what we'll get when they're investigated. Not only that, but they'll be prime targets for other roles.

If the scum want to claim Kook, I say that it can only be helpful for Town. It's such an easy way to make yourself become the target of other roles.

Plus, in Bastard Paranormal, the scum didn't win. So, your point is extraordinarily moot. You've only successfully proven that you're part of the hard-headed idiots that you seem to be afraid of.

Toaster, I find two kooks unlikely.
Unless there's been a game with two before?
You know how you can check this? Do a little search.

Paranormal 17 - 1 Kook/16 Players
Paranormal 16 - 2 Kooks/16 Players
Paranormal 15 - 1 Kook/14 Players

Now you look awfully stupid, don't you. This took me 5 minutes to find. Seriously, it takes so little time to do information checking.

Meph: I see Jim as voting me, not Toaster. Is it an error, or is there something funny going on with the voting?
The Whiteboard
Toaster: Jim Groovester

Book, as the exterminator, which techs would you pick?
I find the timing of your question interesting: are you an ext, looking for help in figuring out what to pick? I will leave your question unanswered, in case there is an Ext out there (whether it's you or not) I'd rather not assist with tech choices. Let him pick the lamest ones.
I'm going to say you're equally suspicious now.

The first is stupid. I love how you ask if there's something fishy going on in a game without any such fishy things available. It's hilarious. It's incredibly scummy, too.

Secondly, your refusal to answer a simple question is idiotic. If you figured that the Exterminator would pick it, why not just list off the stupidest equipment ever? But, really, I figure it's more likely you're looking for the Exterminator as a dopp. So, have fun being dead heh

Zathras, I claimed already. I wouldn't have if Toaster hadn't. See above.
So I see. Yes, gambler's fallacy notwithstanding, I find it suspicious of both of you, though I think Toaster would be better at getting away with it as scum strategy.

Toaster: yes, extra attention is garnered, but as we saw in earlier games, if it can be withstood it leaves the person almost confirmed-townie and won't be inspected, which is an ideal position for a crafty scum.
Are... are you serious? We know what happens when they're investigated. They'll turn up dopp. THAT'S THE POINT OF CLAIMING IT. WE ALREADY KNOW THEY WILL TURN UP AS DOPP, TOWN OR NOT!

I find the timing of your question interesting: are you an ext, looking for help in figuring out what to pick? I will leave your question unanswered, in case there is an Ext out there (whether it's you or not) I'd rather not assist with tech choices. Let him pick the lamest ones.
Pfffft, this is lame. What's the point of asking RVS questions if you're just going to refuse to answer them? If there is an Exterminator out there with half a brain he won't need your advice on it, and if he does need advice on tech choices he'll probably reveal himself in other ways. So just answer the question.
No. Or at least, not yet. I don't give free advice to the enemy. If people are still interested, I'll answer this in as much detail as you want D2. In the mean time, if you think not answering this question hampers RVS, ask more questions.
The Exterminator is your enemy? Why are you so focused on the Exterminator? Oh, I know. It's because you're a doppelganger. That's why. There's no point in finding an Exterminator on Day 1. You are an idiot if you think you could possibly influence the Exterminator to pick the ULTIMATE gear.

Watch: If I were the Exterminator, I'd pick the goes through protection thing, and I'd pick that permanent inspection protection thing. That way I'd only have to worry about dying, but I'd be so suspicious that I'd rather just fight off the Town during lynching season than get killed by the Dopps.

See: If an Exterminator picks this, they'll still fall to problems of being forced to find a cover, and the Dopps will still be able to kill him. There is no flawless solution.

... He's scum. The automatic attack on everyone enters the game as a joke, rendering any point he makes as moot.
Say what? That sentence doesn't even make sense.
I can understand that. What I meant to say was you cracked a joke. You made a joke, and it was to make your RV funny, instead of serious, so you're not trying to be suspicious. That's the point.

Why are there three people voting Argem?
That's actually a good point... Dariush, Leafsnail, Toaster? Care to elaborate? Particularly Toaster being the third vote and already claiming Kook.
That's not a good point at all. Why does it matter how many people are voting how many people? Three people are voting me. It that a good reason? I mean, have any of them given me a good reason? I don't think so.

I love how you're trying to enforce a particular scumtell for third voter bandwagon, as well as make the Kook claim scummy as well. On a randomvote. That's kind of the point, isn't it? To randomly vote? Yeah, I thought so.

Let me make this perfectly clear: YOU ARE SCUM. YOU ARE SCUM. YOU ARE SCUM. Think I'm still randomvoting? Point out where I started. Yeah, I will make sure you and Zathras start dying.

Interesting. Toaster, webadict and Janus: what do you think of the viability of claiming Kook right away as a scum tactic? We went through this during Bastardnormal, and I still think it's a ballsy but viable possibility.
I wouldn't personally do it. Attacts too much attention (with the possibility of a Reporter or Warden blocking you). It is viable though for some people. Based on previous meta, I don't think either would have tried it without scumteam prodding.
Which ironically clashes with this:
Particularly Toaster being the third vote and already claiming Kook.
So, you don't think it's a scumtell, yet it is probably a scumtell. That is terrible logic, and a passive way of saying that he's scummy.

For the scientist choices, Id Go Assasin bot, body double. For intelligence scientist I really don't know.

As i did in para 17, i would claim day 1 if i was kook. I believe I explained my reasoning quite enough back then.

Webadict, how could massclaiming help ? At worst that would reveal cops and guardians to the dopp, or cause myslinchs if they refuse to reveal. Can't see it helping.
Mysterious, massclaiming helps in certain role heavy games, as there's a balance to be had. It also stops players from claiming things later that inspection and watching would prove they did. Players can come up with a plan for who does what, and everything works out fairly well.

Your assumption seems to be that Guardians and Guards are the best things since sliced bread. Sure, they're great. They usually stop me from dying. But, then they can be watched to see who kills them. They can have people working together. The scum usually horde information. People will claim a couple of times over the course of the game, giving the scum more information than the Town will have. They'll also have guessing and roles that will help them.

Therefore, webadict,
why massclaim? Wouldn't that be giving information to the wrong people? After all, scum already knows who is likely to be telling the truth.

Also, if you were a town roleblocker, who would you block tonight and why?
That's entirely the point. If the scum don't tell the truth, they'll be found out eventually. Multiple roles won't hit each other. Information can be collected secretly, and even Mediums can help out.

Also, you forget about Aliens.

And I would block Janus. Or Zathras. Those two for now. I'll check out who's suspicious later. EDIT: Actually, you're probably scum too, now that I look at it. So, you're in, too.

Webadict, how could massclaiming help ? At worst that would reveal cops and guardians to the dopp, or cause myslinchs if they refuse to reveal. Can't see it helping.
I think he meant a kook massclaim. But yeah, fishy.
Nope. I said massclaim. I do want all Kooks to claim, though. It's not really all that fishy, if you think about it. It's only suspicious if it were a game like BM, where there are few roles to begin with.

To Web, leeway or not you cause hard situation for some town roles. Guardians should never claim, since they are(in my opinion) the most powerfull town role. Claiming is idiotic ( at least until late game) since you basically sacrifice yourself. Not claiming is the same, youll get myslinched or the scum will catch on to it and NK.  Scum is hardly that impared. Sure thing like reporter or scan can invalidate the claim, but again they know who to target. You could protect guardians and scans by using pm etc, but again why massclaim in the first place ?
Meh. People are going to die anyway, right? Just remember that there are a few roles that can only be somethings. Kooks can be any role, but Dopp Leaders are Townies, and so anyone that comes up Town to inspection for a role other than Townie will automatically be non-Dopp. You seem to forget this. But, I do appreciate you standing up for your beliefs. It takes some guts to say I'm wrong. I hope you stay alive, so long as you start going after scum.

All he has to do is scumhunt. Same of you. I seem to recall you getting lynched for not scumhunting last game...

To Web, leeway or not you cause hard situation for some town roles. Guardians should never claim, since they are(in my opinion) the most powerfull town role. Claiming is idiotic ( at least until late game) since you basically sacrifice yourself. Not claiming is the same, youll get myslinched or the scum will catch on to it and NK.  Scum is hardly that impared. Sure thing like reporter or scan can invalidate the claim, but again they know who to target. You could protect guardians and scans by using pm etc, but again why massclaim in the first place ?
In defense of claiming, you do have several options. Perhaps you have multiple Guardians. They can protect each other. Perhaps you have a Reporter, they can see who goes to kill the Guardian. There's always options, especially in a powerrole heavy game.
I never appreciate people defending things for me. JanusTwoface gains another notch on his scumbelt. It's a form of buddying. Plus, I am more than willing to answer most questions, so long as they do not waste my time.

Plus, Guardians guarding each other is weak. I'd rather they were secretly sent targets while being told targets in thread. This causes WIFOM for scum, especially because I would tell them the exact same thing.

Well, now I wouldn't.

They could coast to victory, but only if no-one scum hunted. Which is *exactly* why I want you to. Why do you refuse to do so?

Regarding the not the other types, the Observant Guard would also be great because you're trading one town for one scum. 99% of the time, it's worth it.
No one can hear you over your chainsaw, Janus. He's attempting to get questions answered, especially on things he believes are scummy.

Interesting.  I am 70% sure that a body double death (even lynch) doesn't confirm alignment.  Meph, is there any sort of role flip if a body double dies?
They do not. Paranormal 5 had Org, and Paranormal 14 had Jim. They were killed, but they simply showed them as being cyborgs or something else. No flip was done.

So, everyone should step off the Kook claiming thing. Let whoever wants to claim Kook claim Kook. There's nothing scummy about it. But, we'll assume anyone who hasn't claimed Kook is now scum. There. Feel free to freak out about that.
Anybody who wants to claim should, sure. But no, we're not stepping off. It's interesting, important, and a vehicle of inquiry into people's motivations. You feel free to assume anything you want to assume. I'll feel free to step off or not anything I wish.

In general however, I do agree that a Kook claim in itself is a null tell: it doesn't make people scummy on its own, but it doesn't make them townier either. I caution people from falling into that trap, because fakeclaiming it is a viable (if ballsy/non-optimal) strategy for scum. If you're a kook, there are good reasons for claiming, and there are good reasons not to. People's scuminess will be weighted and decided on other factors.
It's about as useful as any of the questions people are asking. Claiming kook tells us what will happen if they're inspected. That protects inspection roles from getting the obvious with no means of counterclaim anymore. This saves us roles that would otherwise be busy trying to lynch kooks.

I, however, like how you say it is both a null tell and making them people of interest. That means that you believe they are in someway more likely to be scum or something. I've got statistics that could prove you wrong, but that's mostly the Gambler's Fallacy at work.

You, sir, are full of shit.
You, ma'am, are even fuller.   ;-P
Jokes are never welcome. Not only do I intend to make this serious business, I will use that as evidence against you. You're trying to joke with Joker now. Buddying on a person you're FoSing is never good, especially if they're also going after you.

but thank you for blatantly putting words in my mouth.
I didn't. I merely simplified to give context in a short quote. But never mind, people will read it as they will. I'll instead ask you the direct questions: do you think MBP is town? do you think only town uses the "wait and see" approach?
Another attempt to calm the Joker. You seem to be trying to pacify him so he'll stop going after you.

We do, however, agree on the Kook-claim scenario. It's not a tell, and each person will read into it how they will. Trying to force one or the other is not the optimal way to play.
Agreed. It is, however, interesting, and a worthy topic to start discussion rolling. What's your read on Ottofar so far? What do you make of Wuba's insistence to drop the topic, or the reasons for his vote on Janus?
Oddly enough, you seem to jump from your initial suspicions to others. You've taken a step backward into RVS on Jokerman, despite voting for Toaster for... doing something. Probably being Kook.

like painting town to be the bad guy for doing something else. Like what [Toaster is] doing here. [about MBP]
So, Toaster is painting town to be the bad guy? What makes you think MBP is town? Do you know something we don't? Or is it that you want us to believe "wait and see" is something only town does? Mighty suspicious of you, Jokerman.
The irony is that you yourself are voting for Toaster at this point. And yet you're defending him? Either you don't believe Toaster is acting scummy enough to agree with him, or you believe Toaster isn't doing that, but either way, that's Toaster's concern. Not yours. Why are you protecting the player you're voting for?!? Why are you attempting to calm down a player you yourself stirred up?!?

This is a bunch of crap you've got stewing.

Heheh... no, not really. I just found it funny. But as I said, I don't wish to rehash old arguments, I was just making a point. The rest are normal questions: what's his read on so and so, when to use which tactic, and so on.

No, no fascination. Not my type. 8-P
Emoticons are bad form in mafialand. Please, turn your attack into even MORE of a joke, why don't you. You weren't ever really serious about Jokerman at all, were you? Backtrack.

As for WUBA, I feel like calling for people to drop it isn't a tell either. I'm actually basically saying the same thing; people read things how they want to read them, so they can go for it. It's not really a matter for discussion until it gets like this, you know? As for his reasons for Janus, I feel like there's plenty of time for it to change, since it's sort of a silly reason anyway. I can see what he's saying, but I feel like he's coming on way too strong.
Hahahaha. You feel like I'm not serious about Janus. That's too bad. It's not silly. It's not even fully meta. Janus should hang, and I will only switch to Zathras at this point, unless Argembarger start being more scummy, which I'm sure he will.

You can think I'm coming on way too strong, but there are people saying we shouldn't call people claiming Kook Town. Sure. That goes without saying. But the problem is that they don't want them to be considered more likely to be Town. I do. They are more likely to be Town. And it's due to simple statistics. I'll use the last three games as evidence:

There is a 100% chance of at least 1 Kook. This is surely more like 90%, but using empirical evidence, it's 100%.
33% of those games have had 2 Kooks. So, we'll assume that 66% chance of 1. 33% of 2. All on empirical evidence, of course.

1(2/3) + 2(1/3) = 4/3 as an expected value. That means in every game, there is likely to be 1.333 Kooks. They can only be Town. That means .5(2/3) + 1(1/3) = 66% chance to be Town at the lowest. As opposed to the 4 scum + 2 third parties in a group of 14 people. That means 8/14 = 57% chance to be Town on average. So, yes, they are more likely to be Town.

JanusTwoface, you basically entered the game by claiming we were all scum. It was a joke. I don't like it. I'm voting you. You're going to stay voted, especially since you defended massclaiming in a question to me. Not really pleased with any of that.

So, first you say massclaiming isn't such a bad idea.

Then you give JTF crap for defending massclaiming.

Why are you voting JTF for things you've done?
I'm not voting JTF for things I've done. I'm voting him for a lot of things. The defending of massclaiming was taking my question and answering it in my defense. It was totally uncalled for.

@Jim: Are you mentally deficient? Janus answered a question directed to me for me. That is a form of buddying, especially since I'm voting for him. You're misconstruing the meaning purposefully. I'll congratulate you on finding a new way to fail, however.

So, why are you defending Janus now, Jim? What'd he ever do for you? Why do I hate you always?

Oh, sweet, a WUBA hissyfit.

Because a simple clarification would not just do at all.
It wouldn't, really. It seems like you aren't paying a whole lot of attention when you accuse me of things, and the only efficient way to reclaim my name is to be extra serious.

What made you think I was freaking out?

Because this:

Why do I hate you always?

Awful lot of vitriol for a simple question.
That's because I always dislike your manner of play.

Are you aware you're overreacting to questions? Did you ever attempt to rectify the errors you made, instead of jumping to whatever conclusion is most relevant to your situation?

Because I hardly consider what you did to be trying. All you're really doing is shifting my attention away from Janus for no good reason. (Well, you acting like scum is a good reason, but why would you do that at all?) So, have anything else to say? Or will you jump to a conclusion? (I've got money riding on the jumping!)

This is so lame.

I've responded to all that was worthwhile to respond to. Anything else you want to discuss, WUBA? Because otherwise you're just throwing shit at me to see what sticks.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. I wanted to see how you'd respond, I suppose.

And then there's this one:
First off, unvote.

And to whoever freaked out instantly about massclaiming, go cry in a corner. I never said to massclaim. I said it would be a good strategy. At least learn to read.
You backtrack pretty quickly, I see. What was the sense of offering 'good strategy' if you aren't going to follow it through? And then comes this:
JanusTwoface, you basically entered the game by claiming we were all scum. It was a joke. I don't like it. I'm voting you. You're going to stay voted, especially since you defended massclaiming in a question to me. Not really pleased with any of that.
You acknowledge that this was an RVS joke and still vote JTF for it. Explain, webadict.
JanusTwoface made a joke. I think you're misunderstanding something rather basic. Why would I say I don't like it if I were the one making the joke? Though, I suppose if you're getting to this point in the quote, you'll see I already defended this vote.

Also, it was never a random vote. Not once.

As for the massclaim thing, I'll bring up a quote, since you seem to be so observant. Please, read to me what it says outloud:
I'd even go as far as to say that we should all massclaim, but I'm not entirely sure that would work anymore.
If you're not reading that as a hypothetical, you're not really reading it. We should massclaim. I did not say that we will/must massclaim. I will, however, defend the idea, as it is strategically promising.

For Person

For now i'm concentrating on the 2 kook business. Heres my tought
2 kook are possible, but maybe due to a kink in meph program i dont remmeber it the last games. Unlikely
2 scum fakeclaiming is incredibly risky ( especially if there is a real kook, no way there is 3 in a game) so id say nay to that.
1 scum 1 kook is possible, and i would have a easier time believing the 2nd claim. Scum as few good reason to claim Kook in second, since this funny business will get looked upon more closely. Town kook as no such problem, since he know he can stand up to a telepath investigation.

Question
I've got a suggestion: Don't. Focusing on the Kooks is a nowhere road, as at least one of them is Town. You've got better odds of hitting scum by shooting randomly into the crowd of non-Kook-claimers.

For reference, anyone who doesn't claim kook d1 and tries to claim kook later on is scum. End of story. There is no reason whatsoever not to claim kook d1. [...] Alright, I'll bite. What good reason is there to not claim Kook? I can't even imagine.
We've had this conversation before. We clearly don't agree, but we don't have to. There are good reasons for claiming (what you cite), and for not claiming (not to deal with the 'hard-headed idiots', etc); there are good reasons for scum fakeclaiming it (some consider it a "slight town tell" and is an alibi against inspection), there are good reasons for scum not fakeclaiming it (attracts attention). Just as you oppose my finding it suspicious, I oppose your "lynch non-kook-claimaints-D1" policy. Everyone will vote however they want. No matter how many times you say "end of story", everyone writes their own story.
Except for the fact that not claiming it on the first Day is incredibly anti-Town. You waste the Agent's time, get found out, claim it, and then get lynched. Not only do you waste a Night for an Agent (or more), you waste the town's lynch. This is a massive waste of Town resources, and you don't even bother to give them a headnod.

It is a slight town tell, if only because the statistics prove it is. Also, you've managed to backtrack slightly.
Just as you oppose my finding it suspicious, I oppose your "lynch non-kook-claimaints-D1" policy. Everyone will vote however they want. No matter how many times you say "end of story", everyone writes their own story.
You claimed earlier that claiming Kook is a null tell.

We do, however, agree on the Kook-claim scenario. It's not a tell, and each person will read into it how they will. Trying to force one or the other is not the optimal way to play.
Agreed. It is, however, interesting, and a worthy topic to start discussion rolling. What's your read on Ottofar so far? What do you make of Wuba's insistence to drop the topic, or the reasons for his vote on Janus?
So, yes, you are backtracking as well.

The hard-headed idiots are you. You're voting Toaster at this very moment! You've got little more evidence against him other than he claimed Kook. So, idiot, how hard-headed will you remain?

Pandarsenic, webadict: who are your top scum picks so far?
Janus and you. Argembarger to a milder extent. You two will die, though. There is no redemption for either of you.

Webadict is being suspiciously loud this game. I mean, he's always loud and, well, WUBA, but this game it feels as though he's trying too hard to defend himself before evolving into an attack on Jim. I expected the attack sooner, to be honest, and it felt as though he wasn't playing as he usually does as Town, though that's been abated a bit.
I'm not attacking Jim. I'm after JanusTwoface. See the first post of the game? It was directed Janus. Not Jim. I can see how you'd confuse the two. They both start with Js. J is a tough letter.

JTF...it's never easy for me to read JTF, but I feel like he's giving off a more Town vibe. His posts have been constructive and he's been voicing suspicions and pursuing scum. All in all, Town read.
How do you know he's been pursuing scum? Nobody has flipped. I may have to add you to the list.

Could you also refer me to your arguments on Toaster, or just rephrase them so that I can look over them and either agree with them or pick at them?

I haven't made many arguments on Toaster yet, mostly because it's intuition-based on his tone & timing, but there's [1], [2], and I'm still surprised by how fast his claim was: twenty minutes and six posts into the game. Too eager for my tastes, really seems designed to preempt a counterclaim.

As I said, not much, but he's a cryptic fellow.
Right. That means he had no chance to confer with any possible scummates he'd have, which is what I'd do if I were fakeclaiming Kook as scum. Ottofar following it up means he ALSO had no chance to talk.

SO, REMEMBER WHEN YOU SAID IT WAS A NULLTELL?!?

Yeah, I didn't think you did. I think it is now acceptable to call you a hard-headed idiot. And scum.

Jim, Toaster:
Dariush: You have been unusually quiet. Who are your top scum picks? Do you think there's an Exterminator? If you were a kook, would you have claimed? What's your read on Mr.Person and JimG?
Well, nobody has been on my back from the beginning and I have a busy week, so it's understandable that I've been quiter than usual. My top scumpick are webadict and Toaster (for reasons I posted earlier). I think there would be an exterminator since there's such a lot of players. If I was a Kook I wouldn't claim since I don't consider myself experienced enough to deal with the stream of question (and votes by 'hard-headed idiots') that would follow. In my opinion the argument between Person and Jim is a whole load of bullshit offset by Ottofar's RVS question; I don't think that merely conflicting points of view about how much must be revealed in answer are something to panic about.

Also, extension. I want to see what our lurkers have to say about the whole matter.
How am I your top scumpick? I am utterly baffled by your misreading. You seem to think I'm backtracking, but what? Also, explain Toaster while you're at it. I want a re-post of the reasons.

So, all-in-all, JanusTwoface and Zathras are scum. Argembarger is probably scum.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2011, 12:51:07 pm »

Ottofar:

I was afraid of the 'hardheaded idiots', as someone put it.

Why are you afraid?

@Ottofar:

Are you trying to look scummy?

1) Useless townie lynch,

2) Nope. I do realize I've been even more scummy than usually.

You also forgot to answer my question.

Yeah.

Uhm. I'd say Mr. P. Also, Pandar and Leaf seem somewhat towny, and Toaster's somewhere in the middle.
Actual reasoning when I have time.

Also, webadict, you do realize most of my posts come from a phone?

And this week is a test week, most of my time goes to studying. Next week, however, is the skiing holiday. I'll have plenty of time to not be so goddamn useless.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2011, 01:05:13 pm »

The Whiteboard
JanusTwoFace: webadict
Jim Groovester: Mr.Person
Mr.Person: Jim Groovester
Mysteriousbluepuppet: Toaster
NativeForeigner: Leafsnail, Pandarsenic
Org: JanusTwoFace
Toaster: Book, Ottofar
webadict: Argembarger, Dariush, Mysteriousbluepuppet

Day has been Extended to ~5pm Pacific Tuesday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2011, 01:06:30 pm »

Webadict's... Getting lynched on D1?

Never seen that one before.
I think.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2011, 01:11:58 pm »

So, why did you pick those three people to ask questions? And what was that question supposed to reveal about Ottofar?
I picked them at random. I wanted to see if Ottfar would draw any conclusions. I do find it interesting that he brought up being hard to read.
Is interesting anything, well, interesting?
Interesting in that it could be read as thinking those three are hard to read. Not interesting because I'm guessing he just remembered me calling him hard to read for not posting much in previous games and went on that, so it doesn't reflect on the other choices.

JanusTwoFace, Toaster: If you were scum, and had decided to fakeclaim kook, how soon would you do it? What's your view on Person's policy-lynch of all kooks who don't claim D1?
I wouldn't. If I did (or if I were a Kook), I would probably claim via PM to 1-3 people on Day 1. So far as policy-lyches, I think it's kind of extreme. If there's no better target, it's not a bad idea to lynch a late Kook claim because it's a last straw measure. But if there is, it's a policy lynch.

JTF, what is your opinion on Mr.Person?
There's a decent chance that he's scum based mostly on meta. He's acting like he normally does as scum.

@Ottofar:
So why didn't you just not post it and post later?

Janus:  Of the five people you asked questions here, which two are the most suspicious?  Do you think your Org vote is doing any good?
Webadict feels like he always does (an arrogant asshole with delusions of usefulness, see the spoiler for more on that) and hasn't answered the question I asked.

I don't really think NativeForeigner is scum, my main point against him had already been answered, I just missed it. Ottofar feels scummy, but that could be explained by his PFP as always. Leafsnail feels like he was

I really think we should lynch Org. Yes, it's a policy lynch. Nothing else has done any good though.

blah blah blah
For one: That's the scale of wall of text that goes well beyond being useful into useless. Too much to parse, people will tend to just ignore it. Particularly when a good part of it is repeating/answering things that have already been answered.

Spoiler: More webadict (click to show/hide)

1) Useless townie lynch,

2) Nope. I do realize I've been even more scummy than usually.
Both of these points are scummy. Calling yourself town and admitting to being more scummy than usual (particularly without fixing the behavior).

Webadict's... Getting lynched on D1?

Never seen that one before.
I think.
Um, why would you say that? He only has one more vote than either NativeForeigner or Toaster and the day's been Extended. While I wouldn't mind seeing him lynched from an he's-an-arrogant-ass perspective, it's probably not the best use of the Day 1 lynch.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Book

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2011, 01:25:59 pm »

Plus, in Bastard Paranormal, the scum didn't win. So, your point is extraordinarily moot. You've only successfully proven that you're part of the hard-headed idiots that you seem to be afraid of.
Sure it did. I was the scum, and I won. I also did fakeclaim kook D1 (not on thread, but on PM to the agent), so I stand by my assessment that it's a perfectly viable (if ballsy) tactic for scum. But yes, I grant that I'm one of the "hard-headed idiots" the phrase refers to. I think I'm justified there too, though.

Pfffft, this is lame. What's the point of asking RVS questions if you're just going to refuse to answer them? If there is an Exterminator out there with half a brain he won't need your advice on it, and if he does need advice on tech choices he'll probably reveal himself in other ways. So just answer the question.
No. Or at least, not yet. I don't give free advice to the enemy. If people are still interested, I'll answer this in as much detail as you want D2. In the mean time, if you think not answering this question hampers RVS, ask more questions.
The Exterminator is your enemy? Why are you so focused on the Exterminator? Oh, I know. It's because you're a doppelganger. That's why. There's no point in finding an Exterminator on Day 1. You are an idiot if you think you could possibly influence the Exterminator to pick the ULTIMATE gear.
Yes, the exterminator is my enemy. Isn't he yours? Sure, we won't find him D1, but I won't help him. Yes, I do think there are some mighty clever tech combinations possible, and no, I won't detail them now, I'd rather they're not picked by the ext if there is one. I thought that answering the question honestly ("no") was better than just listing lame gear outright, but I'm OK with either option; what I won't do is give solid advice. Incidentally (Jim), this is different than talking about "who would you kill tonight" and similar questions, as a) the Ext is alone, no team to consult, and b) kills depend too much on circumstance, where tech is a strategic D1 choice.

Nope. I said massclaim. I do want all Kooks to claim, though. It's not really all that fishy, if you think about it. It's only suspicious if it were a game like BM, where there are few roles to begin with.
I found your wording fishy, as it read as in favour of massclaim, but I interpreted it in context as a kook massclaim; you have clarified that, though. But yes, I think people calling for a D1 massclaim is misguided. I read your argument in favour, and I think it's bunk. It's better for the town not to massclaim D1, and I find those who propose it to be misguided, and if they insist, scummy.

You, sir, are full of shit.
You, ma'am, are even fuller.   ;-P
Jokes are never welcome. Not only do I intend to make this serious business, I will use that as evidence against you.
Bite me. We've had this conversation before: I do not subscribe to the notion that "MAFIA IS SRS BUSINESS!" I like to have fun when I'm playing a game, and I'll continue to do it. Don't make me break out the limericks.

like painting town to be the bad guy for doing something else. Like what [Toaster is] doing here. [about MBP]
So, Toaster is painting town to be the bad guy? What makes you think MBP is town? Do you know something we don't? Or is it that you want us to believe "wait and see" is something only town does? Mighty suspicious of you, Jokerman.
The irony is that you yourself are voting for Toaster at this point. And yet you're defending him? Either you don't believe Toaster is acting scummy enough to agree with him, or you believe Toaster isn't doing that, but either way, that's Toaster's concern. Not yours. Why are you protecting the player you're voting for?!? Why are you attempting to calm down a player you yourself stirred up?!?
A vote at that stage doesn't mean I am sure the person is scum, we're stirring discussion, and things may go either way. I wasn't defending Toaster, I was dissecting Jokerman's objection. And if I wanted to calm him down I wouldn't have FoS'd him to begin with. Instead of dragging it out, I asked the direct question, which he answered. This doesn't clear him, the slip and his correction stand for people to read as evidence as they wish, but I didn't see a point in dragging it out further.

I, however, like how you say it is both a null tell and making them people of interest. That means that you believe they are in someway more likely to be scum or something. [...]Also, you've managed to backtrack slightly. You claimed earlier that claiming Kook is a null tell.
Interesting =/= scummy. It certainly is interesting, and attracts attention, which I'm happy to provide. Also, there's no backtrack. Kook claim in itself is a null tell, but nothing happens in a vacuum. The timing, circumstances, reactions and so on provide valuable insight which may tip the scales one way or the other. I think Toaster is scum, not because he claimed kook (null tell), but because how he claimed it (scummy). The rest of his play also reads scummy to me, so it fits better with the fakeclaim scenario.

But the problem is that they don't want them to be considered more likely to be Town. I do. They are more likely to be Town. [...] It is a slight town tell, if only because the statistics prove it is. [...] And it's due to simple statistics. I'll use the last three games as evidence:
Two points:
a) your calling them town is precisely why it's a viable tactic. Nothing better for a scum than to be called "likely town" by the likes of you.
b) your statistics are bunk. There's nowhere enough data points for your results to be statistically significant, and you know it; the weights in Meph's script are unknown to us, could in principle result in a game with zero or four kooks, and the "evidence" you cite is Gambler's Fallacy at its finest.

At most what you can say is that there's likely to be "one or more" kooks, leaving the door wide open for either a second one, a scum fakeclaim, or a townie kook who hasn't claimed by now, and won't since if he's the third to claim he'll be lynched for sure (which is why a scum fakeclaim needs to get in fast).

Question for you: if you were a townie kook, and hadn't claimed by now, would you claim as third kook?

Focusing on the Kooks is a nowhere road, as at least one of them is Town. You've got better odds of hitting scum by shooting randomly into the crowd of non-Kook-claimers.
Again your statistics are bunk. If at least one of them is town, and you have independent scummy reads on the other one, you have better chance of hitting scum by lynching the possible-fakeclaimer than randomnly lynching one of the other dozen players.

I haven't made many arguments on Toaster yet, mostly because it's intuition-based on his tone & timing, but there's [1], [2], and I'm still surprised by how fast his claim was: twenty minutes and six posts into the game. Too eager for my tastes, really seems designed to preempt a counterclaim.

As I said, not much, but he's a cryptic fellow.
Right. That means he had no chance to confer with any possible scummates he'd have, which is what I'd do if I were fakeclaiming Kook as scum. Ottofar following it up means he ALSO had no chance to talk.

SO, REMEMBER WHEN YOU SAID IT WAS A NULLTELL?!?

Yeah, I didn't think you did. I think it is now acceptable to call you a hard-headed idiot. And scum.
Bullshit, getting the claim in preemptively is more important that consulting with your buddies. It's not like you would seek permission from your team before making a bold decision that was time sensitive. You'd get it in right away. So would I. Buddies can catch up later. That's the right way to play the fakeclaim. For the null tell part, I address that above.

The hard-headed idiots are you. You're voting Toaster at this very moment! You've got little more evidence against him other than he claimed Kook. So, idiot, how hard-headed will you remain?
I find interesting how important it is to you that I move my vote. Why are you so concerned about Toaster? Why do you want so badly for me to unvote him? How blatant a chainsaw are you prepared to do about it? I find your concern for his fate scummy, webadict.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2011, 02:33:32 pm »

Dariush:
Jim, Toaster:
At the start of the game I find it more useful to wait for someone who slips while responding to someone else and focus on him than randomly sling questions around. And Toaster, I find your overreaction not only to someone who claims to play passively, but to someone who defends this playstyle (i.e. me) pretty suspicious. Why are you so jumpy?

How (and where) am I overreacting and being jumpy?  I don't like people being passive and never have.

Web: If Janus hadn't made the joke, who would you be voting?  Also, I don't see your case on Argembarger.

Ottofar:  If you know you're being scummy, why are you still doing it?

Also, go read Para11 to see Web hang the first day.

Janus:  Do you think Web is scum?  Your answer on him was noncommittal.   What is the best use of the D1 lynch?

Book:  How is claiming kook in my first post scummy?  What would be the non-scummy way to do it?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2011, 02:47:52 pm »

My answer was noncommittal because I'm not sure. My gut feeling says that he's scummy, but that's tempered both by the fact that I'm annoyed with him right now (thus not necessarily looking at it objectively) and that he always does this. Also he tends to either get nightkilled or attract inspections during the early nights, so he's usually better to deal with later in the game.

I think Day 1 (particularly in a role heavy game like Paranormal) is a time to basically feel out people's playstyle and learn a bit about new players. With 1 lynch and 1 nightkill, plus any nightactions there's a lot more information to go off during Day 2 and a lot more pertinent questions to ask.

If there's anyone being spectacularly scummy, then lynch them--with the annendum that new players should usually get a Day 1 excuse otherwise they're not likely to come back. Then, if there's not anyone jumping out as overly scummy and there's anyone being particularly annoying or unhelpful, lynch them. Right now, we have a few mislynches to spend. Later, we won't.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40