Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dual-Wield Shield  (Read 1342 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Dual-Wield Shield
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:36:05 am »

Is it possible?

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dual-Wield Shield
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:06 am »

Yes, but I've never tried to recreate intentionally. Misc Object user should rocket and they can do some damage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:45:44 am »

I've had plenty of dwarves kill when bashing with their shield, so I know they're lethal.  Should push up the wrestling skill as well, since they'll be using that a lot.  I just want to know if anyone's done it reliably and gotten results.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:57:24 am »

I think that if you assign shield twice to them it should work. I have a militia commander wielding 3 weapons and a shield, cause I assigned him all of the different types of swords, (short, long, 2-handed, scimitars) thinking that they would only equipped one and a shield. He ended up with a short sword in one hand and a scimitar + shield in the other. Later, I only assigned him an adamatine short sword, and he just through that in his other hand, on top of everything else...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:27:41 am »

Oh wow, I've been going easy on my guys then!  Dual axes and shield for everyone!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »

Nine spears in every hand!
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 12:31:43 pm »

Im surprised that hasn't been fixed yet, i wonder if this works with having a crossbow in one hand, and silver hammer in the other,   have a bunch of psudo-ash's  running around with shotgun (crossbow) and chainsword (hammer or other weapon)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:45:19 pm »

And one my dwarves quad wielded those.
Dude liked shields.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 12:50:29 pm »

I think that if you assign shield twice to them it should work. I have a militia commander wielding 3 weapons and a shield, cause I assigned him all of the different types of swords, (short, long, 2-handed, scimitars) thinking that they would only equipped one and a shield. He ended up with a short sword in one hand and a scimitar + shield in the other. Later, I only assigned him an adamatine short sword, and he just through that in his other hand, on top of everything else...
Did he invent swordchucks?

Nine spears in every hand!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:02:12 pm »

Spoiler: This one too! (click to show/hide)

Blummet Ler!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 02:16:24 pm »

In Adventure Mode, the only limit to the number of objects you can carry and use in your hands is your imagination. Dare to dream! I don't see why this should be different in Fort Mode.

That said, does carrying multiple shields increase blocking ability? I've heard conflicting things.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 02:18:10 pm »

This thread takes me back to one of my 40d fortresses. I had a military dwarf, wielding 1 artefact shield and a hammer in his right hand, and another shield in his left hand. He allowed me to disband my entire military, as he singlehandedly shieldbashed every siege to extinction.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 02:52:44 pm »

So, have I been a fool all this time to only assign ONE weapon to my dwarves?

This calls for...experimentation.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 03:59:34 pm »

So how many weapons and shields should I tell my dwarfs to equip to maximize their potential? I already maxed their armor.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 04:06:57 pm »

If you're going for a Misc Object User military, I suggest going with double copper shields. They have the highest density out of all the materials you can make shields out of (no silver). They won't be able to do shit to a bronze colossus or a forgotten beast made of steel though, so I suggest a backup squad with adamantine axes.
Pages: [1] 2