Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Microcline  (Read 4066 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Microcline
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »

I like the color, it reminds me of a certain metal.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 04:48:51 pm »

I think it's a hold over from when striking microcline and other cluster stone would pause and zoom to the dwarf who'd struck it by default.  It was unspeakably obnoxious when you were digging a downward shaft and got interrupted ever few floors, or when your mega-housing project got interrupted every so often by the same.  Microcline just stood out from other rocks that caused the same problem (orthoclase, mica, et cetera) due to its rather distinctive color.

Yes! This! This so damn much!
Thank Toady for annoucements.txt and preserving the newcomers' sanity.
Also microline was everywhere. EVERYWHERE
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 06:08:56 pm »

Maybe I just need to recalibrate my monitor, but I can't play DF without using one of the alternate color profiles they have on the Wiki. I'm ruining my eyes trying to read that dark blue.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 07:55:23 pm »

Microcline stands out as the most visible representative of all cheap and otherwise unremarkable stone, kind of like how bauxite is still loved by many although it has become redundant.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 08:32:05 pm »

Personally the standard colour of microcline is a bit like eye-rape. Cobaltite isn't much better, I tweak the colours of both of them slightly.

Microcline stands out as the most visible representative of all cheap and otherwise unremarkable stone, kind of like how bauxite is still loved by many although it has become redundant.

Don't listen to the mean man bauxite. We still love you for your magma stopping awesomeness. So what if now loads of rocks have stolen your thunder, you'll always be the original.

*Sways back and forth, crooning to the chunk of bauxite clutched closely to his chest*

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 11:21:58 pm »

Personally the standard colour of microcline is a bit like eye-rape. Cobaltite isn't much better, I tweak the colours of both of them slightly.

Don't listen to the mean man bauxite. We still love you for your magma stopping awesomeness. So what if now loads of rocks have stolen your thunder, you'll always be the original.

*Sways back and forth, crooning to the chunk of bauxite clutched closely to his chest*

*Bundles you off to an asylum*
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 11:36:52 pm »

The color isn't dwarfy. That all.
All the time, when i mine tombs for my fortress founders. I found damn microline in one or two rooms. I use these ugly rooms for cheesemakers corpses.

I abandon some forts because of this ugly stone. It everywhere, it annoying and ugly. Like cats.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 11:53:55 pm »

Sometimes I like to color-code my forts, and I build all of the workshops in a certain industry-branch out of the same distinctively-colored stone, and so in those cases I really like to find microcline.

When I'm not, I don't really care about it one way or the other. One color is pretty much the same as another to me, in this game at least.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 12:00:09 am »

I put microline block floors around the outer edges of my farm plots, so it looks like they're irrigated.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 12:03:59 am »

Sometimes I like to color-code my forts, and I build all of the workshops in a certain industry-branch out of the same distinctively-colored stone, and so in those cases I really like to find microcline.

When I'm not, I don't really care about it one way or the other. One color is pretty much the same as another to me, in this game at least.

... I'm going to have to do this, now.

Hell, when I make my next three-dimensional fractal fort, I can color-code the different branches of the fractal...

... I need graphing paper.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 09:23:26 am »

I think that microcline looks really nice when it's smoothed, especially with granite furniture and clear glass windows. My living quarters, meeting halls, dining rooms, and tombs are built in microcline deposits when possible.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 10:24:11 am »

As has been said earlier, it is a leftover from the 40d age when you couldn't change the announcements. Every time you would find a cluster of microcline, which was often, the game would pause and the view would automatically zoom to the microcline cluster. If it were bauxite, native gold or another useful stone, I wouldn't mind as much. But when you are monitoring your dwarves and every few frames the zoom skips to your exploration layer, telling you you have once again struck that completely worthless stone, it gets annoying. It made exploratory mining a complete pain.

I still prefer using bauxite as my magma-safe stone, but mostly because it is the only stone I can remember is magma-safe. Otherwise I have to go on magma-wiki and check for each of the magma-safe stones how much of them I have.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 10:53:22 am »

I looked it up on Wikipedia. Turns out it's actually quite pretty in real life, especially variants like amazonite. And the cyan doesn't look too bad on my screen.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 11:27:00 am »

*Bundles you off to an asylum*

Bauxite is red, the color of blood, magma, and fire. Therefore it is better than all other regular stone.

Kaolinite doesn't sound as cool, before you ask.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 11:29:35 am »

Kaolinite doesn't sound as cool, before you ask.
Yeah, but it's a decent substitute.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4