Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Difficult Games  (Read 2197 times)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Difficult Games
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:13:30 am »

I'm looking for games that are genuinely difficult. Games that require you to use the game's controls to their fullest in order to really play them properly.

An idea of what I'm looking for:-
- Games that require you to have lightning-quick reflexes in order to block attacks etc. There's a theoretical RPG where, if you don't block your enemy's swing, they chop you down.
- Games that require thinking, strategy and pre-planning in terms of gameplay.
- Games that have big arse bosses that are hard.

An idea of what I'm not looking for:-
- Artificial difficulty. I Wanna Be The Guy is the king of artificial difficulty.
- Statistics inflation. Like when you turn up Oblivion's difficulty meter to full and every enemy requires a metric shit tonne of hits to kill for no apparent reason. I'd much rather those enemies merely had way more damage to do to me.
- Micromanagement in strategy games. I HATE micromanagement.

Almost all Shmups are genuinely difficult since they force you to use their controls correctly. Any game that requires repeated tries of the same level in order to work out what to do is not really genuinely difficult.

So, got any, gents? D:

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Difficult Games
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:17:57 am »

Monster Hunter

Demon's Souls
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:26:01 am »

As far as I know there aren't many RPGS like that out there.

Closest thing I know of would be The Witcher with the Total Combat Rebalance Mod which makes the game painfully hard.

Other games could include the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series which goes for the whole realistic shooter one-bullet-kill thing. Theres also some mods for that can also make the game harder.

As for planning and strategy I guess you could look at turn based strategy. Freeciv/Alpha Centuri are really good, they do contain a metric crap load of micromangement in them though. That can be lessened with the whole governor system though. If you want rts look no further than Age of Empires II which i still regard as the best. The first Empire Earth might also be good if you're into the whole military tactics thing.

Big boss battles? Thats really died in today's generation of games, sad really. Though you can always look at older console games like Banjo Kazooie, Zelda or what ever.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:35:40 am »

The Witcher is hard until you get one spell, and one formula. Knockdown + Blizzard = Instant kills in slow time. Then it's easy street. Still a good game. Just not what I would call difficult.

Devil May Cry 4. It's got the huge boss battles, a bit of re-playability, variable difficulty, and is one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" games that thrives on finesse and timing.

Fucking Credo on Devil Hunter Difficulty+. Now that is a fun fight. 

I'll second Demon's Souls, even though I've never played it. Just reading it about it, it sounds hard.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:38:07 am »

Monster Hunter

Demon's Souls
+1

Except in some cases, it is far better for you to dodge the attack instead of blocking it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:40:23 am »

Devil May Cry 4. It's got the huge boss battles, a bit of re-playability, variable difficulty, and is one of those "easy to learn, hard to master" games that thrives on finesse and timing. 
The whole DMC series(except 2, which was pathetically easy). Heck, the hardest difficulty was called "Dante Must Die", and they tried to make that happen.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 09:41:12 am »

Spelunky - not really difficult based on your reflexes, but still pretty difficult. And it's free.

Also, this one's multiplayer, so no bosses as such, but I'd say Mount & Blade Warband with the Mount & Musket mod. No shields, so you have to block manually in 4 directions. You may get shot, but the weapons are so innacurate that most kills come from melee.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 09:54:55 am »

+1 to spelunky try to beat my 798075 score.  :P

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:01:27 am »

Any of the early Rainbow Six games would qualify (up to 3, but not Vegas or Vegas 2). Hell, even with auto-aim on the highest difficulty will cause you to lose a big portion of your team on the first few levels if you're not extra careful. If that's not hard enough for you, try disabling auto-aim ;)

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 10:14:04 am »

Operation Flashpoint 1 not 2 is challenging on the veteran difficulty where enemies sniper you with pistol from several hundred meters away. The team system is also great.

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 10:34:22 am »

Stalker SOC with the SE Run and Gun3 mod.

http://stalkermod.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:44:45 am by Trappin »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 10:41:05 am »

I haven't played M&B Warband, but M&B itself with the difficulty notched up (and especially if you're willing to play with one of the mods that adds guns) can be frustratingly difficult, and also very fun. It requires the use of a lot of strategic thinking rather than the typical 'charge and kill' tactics that most games excuse and even encourage.

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 11:14:44 am »

AI War sounds like a good match for you.

Also...Risen is pretty tough, at least at first. Gets easier as you go on though.

If I could look at my games list, I could come up with more, but I'm not home...
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:18:13 am »

My proposition :  Iron man run of Operation : Flashpoint. (the first one, not the easy sequels)
I haven't played M&B Warband, but M&B itself with the difficulty notched up (and especially if you're willing to play with one of the mods that adds guns) can be frustratingly difficult, and also very fun. It requires the use of a lot of strategic thinking rather than the typical 'charge and kill' tactics that most games excuse and even encourage.

M&B itself can be beaten on any difficulty by using 'charge and kill' tactic called couched spear.
In warband it's balanced however, and the game is slightly tougher, although you can still win even these
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:22:39 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 11:28:31 am »

Contra, doeeetttt. 007 time to kill (find on abandonia). Streamed this yesterday, it is hard.
Pages: [1] 2 3