Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: newb help (post help here)  (Read 2520 times)

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
newb help (post help here)
« on: February 11, 2011, 04:57:31 am »

well i need help

what would be a good way to trap goblins remove weps and have crossbowdwarves completely safe (behind a fortification with a ditch or something?

im new and youtube didnt help

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: newb help (post help here)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:58:39 am »

Well, as you said, fortifacations and a ditch work well!

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 05:01:30 am »

oh ty

and what does the floodgate do exactly?how should i place/use it?

for all you farming newbs:a cave with an underground river <=!!!ALLOWS!!!=> a farm

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:04:46 am »

A flood gate is mostly used to stop water and magma. It is useful because it can close on water, and can span as wide as you want. Just build some at a masons workshop and place them down with the build command. They can also be used to act as long gates, but be careful: They will be destroyed by some creatures.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:05:12 am »

Go here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

All your answers are there, in a convenient, search-able form.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:15:18 am »

what would be a good way to trap goblins remove weps

First of all, have you considered the DF2010 Little Questions Thread?

Second of all, why did you make like three threads in a row?

Third of all, is English your native language? If yes, how old are you?

Fourth of all, cage traps in front of the entrance to your fort. Lots of 'em.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:17:43 am »

i avoid grammer when possible.....school i have to use it and i do and yes im english     

Rip goat, more loli

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 05:20:40 am »

i avoid grammer when possible.....school i have to use it and i do and yes im english     

They make you use it in school in hopes it will rub off. People have to use it, when they want to communicate coherently with others. ;)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 05:26:08 am »

You "avoid grammar when possible"? What kind of dumb shit is that? Being rebellious is that far, but there's nothing to be gained by typing like a lobotomized weasel.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 05:39:00 am »

As a general rule, people who use correct English are held in higher esteem than others. It is a sad truth that the value of a speech is weighed upon the charisma of the speeker. Well the same holds true on the incredible edible internet, and a well written post will turn heads long before a scrawl of letters will.

Although mislead, be not! Substance is critical.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 05:52:13 am »

Catch the goblins with cage traps near your front door. Toss the goblins down a hole into a room with no exits and one wall made up of vertical metal bars, and have your crossbow dwarfs on the other side of the bars.

Don't throw crossbow goblins down there though, because they can shoot back.

Rig one of the vertical bar sections to a lever, and you can make an opening for when the goblins are dead to go claim all that sweet goblinite.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 06:00:52 am »

As I recall, when a gobbo gets caught in a cage trap, he automatically drops his weapons, including crossbows. Most of his clothes too, for some reason.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 06:05:40 am »

Don't throw crossbow goblins down there though, because they can shoot back.
Sacrifice a tamed creature by building a restraint before releasing the goblins.

Or, above the dwarf side, build/designate a pit to drop tamed whatevers in.

Or build a pit with a floor hatch in the bottom so that you can drop several pitted whatevers at once, in cases of many crossbow gobbies.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 06:27:32 am »

As I recall, when a gobbo gets caught in a cage trap, he automatically drops his weapons, including crossbows. Most of his clothes too, for some reason.

I don't believe this is true. If you have a goblin in a cage, there's a few steps to get their stuff.

1) claim everything in the cages.  this is done through [d] -> -> [c] and then selecting the area with the cages.  if you want to claim only their weapons rather than all their stuff, you can go to the stocks menu, [z], and unforbid all weapons that appear on the stocks list.

2) dump the area with the cages, using [d] -> -> [d].  you'll want to put a nearby garbage dump using , so that your dwarves don't have to path all over creation with the stuff.

3) un-dump each of the cages *or* build the cages first.  if you build each one of the cages, dumping them won't be a problem, but if you don't, you need to loo[k] at each of the cages and un[d]ump it, so that they'll just carry off the stuff inside rather than the cage itself.

4) finally, create stockpiles for the weapons, armor, and finished goods you're taking from the goblins.  then loo[k] at the square where you created the garbage dump and either reclaim everything using [f] or mass reclaim everything on the square using [d] -> -> [c].  your dwarves will the retrieve what's in the dump and put it in the various stockpiles.

you'll notice, btw, OP, that my post is more helpful because I used "grammar", even if I'm pretty lazy about capitalization. if we don't respond to your question coherently, our responses aren't going to be very helpful to you b/c they're not going to make a bit of sense. all we're asking is a similar courtesy in return... kind of like the old adage, "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer."  you'd be pretty sad if we responded in kind. that said, I expect you're pretty young, so consider it a lesson... you're less likely to flag yourself as a kid on the internet if you use all that grammar they're giving you at school.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 06:33:10 am »

It may just be the version I'm playing, but whenever a goblin blunders into one of my cave traps, a pile of clothes, armour, and weapons appear there.

D'oh well. Probably just a hallucination, then.
Pages: [1] 2