Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: newb help (post help here)  (Read 2517 times)

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: newb help (post help here)
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 06:35:32 am »

It may just be the version I'm playing, but whenever a goblin blunders into one of my cave traps, a pile of clothes, armour, and weapons appear there.

D'oh well. Probably just a hallucination, then.

Crazy. I've never seen that, and I've seen the claim/dump/claim sequence before, so I know that others follow those steps, but maybe there's a version or mod difference that's causing what you're seeing. The only piles I have lying around are when my military dwarves get assigned new uniforms and just strip naked and dump everything they own in the middle of the hallway/barracks/danger room.  Oh, you crazy kids!
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 06:36:58 am »

As I recall, when a gobbo gets caught in a cage trap, he automatically drops his weapons, including crossbows. Most of his clothes too, for some reason.

That hasn't been my experience. What I do is:

catch goblin/other foe (I usually play genesis) in cage.
once the cages are in my animal stockpile, I build (b -> j -> x, select "goblin cage") the cages all in the same room, surrounding a central 1-tile garbage dump.
Since part of my process is to reclaim the cage after the assault is over, most times I don't need to reclaim the equipment, but I generally do anyway, just to be safe (d -> b)
after reclaiming everything, I then go over them with the dump command (assuming you didn't press escape, just press d)
Once the dwarves are done swarming the cages and stealing confiscating all the goodies, I remove the dump order on the cages (d -> b -> D), and deconstruct them. They are now ready for execution.
To deal with tricksy thieves, I built this:
Upper level:
Code: [Select]
XX+XX
X.+.X
X.=.X
X...X
XXXXX
Middle Level:
XX+XX
X.+.X
X.O.X
X...X
XXXXX
Bottom Level:
XXXXX
XXXXX
XX.XX
XXXXX
XXXXX
Note: Central hole may be as deep as you like. I find 10 z-levels never fails to a-splode the gobbos.
Key:
X = Wall
. = Open Space
+ = Floor
O = Pillar
= = Floor created by pillar

To use:
1. (re)Build pillar.
2. Build goblin cage on top of pillar.
3. Link lever (not shown) to cage.
4. Remove pillar (d -> n) IMPORTANT: Wait until the mechanic is done linking the mechanisms to the cage, at least. I am sorry, Urist.
5. Pull the Lever.
6. Watch the gobbo disappear down the hole. I've had parts splash up 4 z-levels, after a 10 level fall.
7. Are there goblins still in cages? Then go to 1. If not, deconstruct the lever to recover all the mechanisms.

Can't remember who suggested this method to me, but I found it here on the Forum. Thanks!
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 08:11:31 am »

Fine then, i will use grammar.
And im not good with commas.

(Its a habit from a multiplayer game i play where 1 out of 500 or more people use grammar.)

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 10:20:58 am »

3) un-dump each of the cages *or* build the cages first.  if you build each one of the cages, dumping them won't be a problem, but if you don't, you need to loo[k] at each of the cages and un[d]ump it, so that they'll just carry off the stuff inside rather than the cage itself.
What about removing the dump order on the cages from the stocks screen?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 04:33:56 pm »

Fine then, i will use grammar.
And im not good with commas.

(Its a habit from a multiplayer game i play where 1 out of 500 or more people use grammar.)

I'll help you out, then.

You wrote:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It should be:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi.)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 06:50:47 pm »

3) un-dump each of the cages *or* build the cages first.  if you build each one of the cages, dumping them won't be a problem, but if you don't, you need to loo[k] at each of the cages and un[d]ump it, so that they'll just carry off the stuff inside rather than the cage itself.

That will work, too. d-b-D is fewer keystrokes, though, if you know where the cages are, and they're all clumped together.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 07:51:37 pm »

That will work, too. d-b-D is fewer keystrokes, though, if you know where the cages are, and they're all clumped together.
That removes the dump designation from everything, though, not just from the cages.

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 08:24:37 pm »

i avoid grammer when possible.....

This is where I stopped reading this thread.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 08:58:19 pm »

This is where I stopped reading this thread.

As a general rule, people who use correct English are held in higher esteem than others. It is a sad truth that the value of a speech is weighed upon the charisma of the speeker. Well the same holds true on the incredible edible internet, and a well written post will turn heads long before a scrawl of letters will.

Although mislead, be not! Substance is critical.
See, told you so! People do not care for what you have to say if your idea of rebellion is not holding the shift key.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 09:02:22 pm »

I think he's aware of the grammar issue now. I find poor grammar hard to read as well, but I think it has been said enough already.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 09:28:57 am »

That removes the dump designation from everything, though, not just from the cages.
Well, yes. That's why you do it *after* the dorfs are done stripping your prisoners.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 11:13:56 am »

Found this out myself lastnight. While gobo thieves will always escape when trying to move them from their cage to a different area, if you try to transfer them in a room with a single exit and put cage traps in that exit you can get the thieves moved quite easily.
The animal handler dwarf will go release them from the cage, the thief will run (scaring the hauler), get caught in the cage trap, and the hauler will then go grab the thief from the trap and lead them to their destination without incident.
I'm guessing cage traps stun victims temporarily as part of the caging process?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 03:03:55 pm »

I'm guessing cage traps stun victims temporarily as part of the caging process?
More like the Star Trek force field.

Mkombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 03:55:34 am »

shmelse thank you so much for telling me how to claim items in an area. I was using K and manually reclaiming items that way. Though, in my defense.. I don't always want to claim every object a corpse drops.. so it still has some use. In any case, thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]