Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Danger room Fun  (Read 1354 times)

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger room Fun
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 11:43:44 am »

Also man I hope you put a door on your danger room.
So you can select a squad, station it in the room then make the door forbidden or not pet passable.
In this way you will see that no one that is not supposed to be there we'll randomly walk into the room while it's functional.

Anyway with traning spear I never had a problem. What the dorf cannot block with his shield is going to be blocked by armor or simple clothing.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 02:43:39 pm »

Also man I hope you put a door on your danger room.
So you can select a squad, station it in the room then make the door forbidden or not pet passable.
In this way you will see that no one that is not supposed to be there we'll randomly walk into the room while it's functional.

Anyway with traning spear I never had a problem. What the dorf cannot block with his shield is going to be blocked by armor or simple clothing.

Does this work for you? Pet-impassible doors are perfectly pet passable when a dwarf walks through it. Then the pets sit outside the door until someone opens it. They're really pretty suicidal. A better option is to let your cats be slaughtered on the spikes, and keep all the pets you want to save on leashes or in cages.

I honestly don't see the problem of having babies/pets be slaughtered once in a while on a spike. It gets the dwarves to stop caring so much about death, leading to better and more ruthless fighters.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 03:45:17 pm »

I had one guy fall asleep in the danger room while he was Station'd in there... I've never seen that happen, but at least his armor protected him from any damage.

... Didn't wake up, either, until I unlocked the door a couple minutes later and let everyone else out.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 04:51:50 pm »

I had one guy fall asleep in the danger room while he was Station'd in there... I've never seen that happen, but at least his armor protected him from any damage.

... Didn't wake up, either, until I unlocked the door a couple minutes later and let everyone else out.

thou shalt trust thy armour! it's spartan dwarven!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 06:26:16 pm »

This is how I made my danger room:

1) I mined 3x3 room out of the way, with 3 tile long 1 tile wide entrance, and 2 tile deep, 1 tile wide alcove. I also made sure, I had lots of wood.

2) I opened Dwarf Therapist, checked the lowest skill of my active carpenters, and set that to be the lowest acceptable on both my carpentry workshops (making bins and barrels and beds). I made sure, there were no scheduled carpentry jobs in manager.

3) I built another workshop, then set its profile to only accept dabbling carpenters. I ordered all my 90+ training spears there. I enabled carpentry on all my peasants in Dwarf Therapist.

4) I build armor stand and door in alcove. I set door in alcove to internal, forbidden and tightly closed. I also installed 3 door in entrance corridor and set them all to tightly closed. This proved to be ineffective, so in future fort 1 door will be enough. I made barracks out of the armor stand to cover the 3x3 room.

5) I built a lever, and started installing 9 tiles of 10 no quality wooden spears connected to the lever by no quality mechanisms. This took some time.

6) With spears done, I removed my new carpentry workshop, and disabled carpentry on peasants. I hope they don't start mooding out making wooden items.

7) I hand-picked male only first squad to train in DR. I outfitted them in full "Munchkin" armor (see armor on the wiki, basically I gave them full metal armor, 2 mail shirts, and leather dress, 6 leather cloaks, and so on)

The result was fairly impressive. I got legendaries quickly, and they were not injured in any way.  They were some downsides also:
- Trainees sometimes passed out of exhaustion, when in danger room, so I didn't keep it on repeat all the time. They all got inexhaustible quickly too.
- Some Dwarf went inside, probably to take out a dead cat or something, and died.
- Lots of dead pets, mostly cats and dogs. Injured elephant and big cat.

My multiple legendaries killed the next siege with relative ease. A speardwarf managed to stop 2 squads of goblins until 2 of his buddies showed up, and finished the slaughter. Only 2 dwarfs died this time rather than 20. Maybe I should give them melee weapons rather than wooden crossbows with not enough ammo. Oh well.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 08:30:24 pm »

10 spears per trap. they get hit 10 times more than a 1 spear trap.
LOSING IS FUN!

Cameo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 08:39:48 pm »

Oh I see, use training spears not upright spikes, lol. I'm not so worried about babies and children dying, everyone's happy enough. And everyone's armoured, so don't needa sort all that out. I also only used one as it's the first time I'd done this and wasn't certain how well my dwarves'd hold up. Probably would've been a lot more deaths had I used 10, and would've taken far far longer to make (would've had to move something like 600 spears from the workshops next door.

Am planning on moving my entire fort into my tower sometime soon though, so can remake it all better next time, and to try and combat the very low FPS I've made something like 12 butcher's shops outside and designated all my animals to be sent to them.
Dwarf fortress... The only place where it is a viable economic alternative to use silver for bulk storage of random trinkets.
Pages: 1 [2]