Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Vushcuggan Geshud Moshnun Succession game  (Read 7539 times)

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vushcuggan Geshud Moshnun Succession game
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 10:03:30 pm »

1 Limestone

I've ordered the placement of what green glass spikes we have to the bottom of the pit but can only cover the projected impact zones of the first half of the spiky ball traps (which I'll install a few more of at the front now I think). While the spread is only 1 spike per square for now that can always be added to by later overseerers and if they get near the end of the ball traps it's enough simply to knock them into the pit for now. I've also ordered adamantine thread extraction while we wait for the forges to be built.

3 Limestone

A smelter is operational so the order has gone out for adamantine wafer production. With so many tasks in so many different areas we almost always have 0 idlers, which is good, but it also means most tasks get done in a scattered slow fashion, which isn't so good. Some of my comrades have expressed a desire for watching blood sports, others desire to conduct 'SCIENCE!'. Both of which need vic ... er, volunteers! Thus I'll have some more cage traps placed around the surface. Then we ran out of mechanisms, so I've ordered more of those to be made (by myself most likely, got to get them done right after all!). There's a hole in my bucket, dear liza!

For reference, here's where the mechanics and masons go to work.

13 Limestone

What!?! 2 Idlers!? Outrageous. Anyhow, we have a magma forge up, so the first production we shall have will be an adamantine axe, sword and spear. This way our camel-foe Plisskin can have her pick of weapon. I've had some exploratory tunnels designated too, as I'd like to determine the true extent of the pit that seems to quite a way up from the cavern floor as it could be a good site for a goblin disposal unit.

14 Limestone

Damp stone has been found!

Finally, a source of water. This warrants further, careful exploration. The multi-stage goblin disposal unit must be put on hold for now, as water projects shall demand attention, such as wells, underground farming, dwarf-baths, dwarf-waterfalls, and much much more. Oooh, if we get a big enough powerplant later, maybe a dwarf-o-matic goblinite extractor!

Oh, now we've found another cavern ... and a winding passage ... and another cavern beyond that!

For now this calls for bricking up of breaches while we search for an easy water extraction point.

17 Limestone

Yet another bizarre occurance, it is raining! If only there were some murky pools so that we could siphon them off into cisterns. I'll have a few pits dug as an experiment to see if we can channel it productively. No migrants this season as well, but I'm confident that next year when they hear of our successess they'll come flocking.

11 Sandstone

With all the huge number of varied tasks that are continually being needed and the excitement of the water / cavern discovery we have been quite distracted. However, with the first adamantine weapon finished, a battle axe, I feel that soon we'll be able to secure a small part of the cavern long enough to wall it up and create a reservoir. First though, I'll add some adamantine armour to the order list so that Plisskin can be decked out properly. While I'm at it, I'll put in an order for rock floodgates, grates, doors and more mechanisms to allow for easier construction of a water system once we get a good setup, as I desire to set up an underground tree farm.

24 Sandstone

Blasted vermin keep swiping bits of food here or there. Sure we've got heaps, but it's an insult, I'm placing a temporary moratorium on kitten culling until the problem is resolved. With rope reed production in full swing we now have a reliable source of thread and cloth so I've had a bunch of rope made and am setting up some dogs in some spots around the surface as an early warning / distraction system for ambushes. The tree farm / cistern project keeps running into annoying caverns, so they get bricked off. I'll use a gravity fed tunnel pipe system to set up a well, but I'm unsure of the underground river pressure so many floodgates will be established first (with so few dwarves here we can't take as many risks as normal).

25 Timber

So many tasks going on but at least we're getting there. Oh, looks like the dog sensor network has paid off.

Battlestations!

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2011, 01:17:59 am »

25 Timber (cont)

After the long process of assigning an addition burrow for the purposes of allowing the metalworking to continue (but to be separate from the 'inside' burrow incase an underground attack requires the forges to be isolated) I hit the alarm bells, pull the dining room lever and activate the two dwarf militia.

27 Timber

Goblins almost got to the main gate because the assigned lever puller got lazy. Thankfully the sacrifice of the sensor dogs distracted the goblins long enough for me to bash the sod over the head and to get him back into action. The adamantine process is taking far too long as we only have a few weapons of it currently, so I've ordered some iron to be smelted to at least get some quick basic armour done sometime this decade.

28 Timber

After killing another dog, the goblin leader stumbles into one of the volunteer-collectors, mwa ha ha ha!

7 Moonstone

Now they're just sitting outside, waiting around, I think because their leader is in a cage (as are a couple of others) that they are not going to leave, hmm, maybe external cage traps weren't such a good idea. I'm going to see if we can lure them elsewhere.

9 Moonstone

Pulling the lever and creating an easier path for them didn't seem to work, time to try putting the militia at a visible point at the battlements.

15 Moonstone

They're still just staying there and I'm very reluctant to send out our two troops to fight directly while they don't have full coverage with at least some sort of metal. This may take a while. Life in the fort though is largely continuing as normal, we didn't really need to go out much anyhow. I've just told the militia to grab some ranged weapons (after making some dog bone crossbows and wooden bolts) and to use the goblins for target practice.

24 Moonstone

Gah, lazy sods won't make any ammo for the crossbows. I'm going to cancel the alert so some will go out to bring in the cages, get scared and run back in, luring the goblins into the traps.

25 Moonstone

Success, the gobbos gave chase!

Crunch! Although the glass spike didn't seem to do much extra, maybe we need more spikes?

Another goblin went forth and got progressively more and more bruised and fractured and eventually lost grip of his whip. Time for the militia to get some live target melee training!

27 Moonstone

This is silly, you can tell who is doing the real work here. Plisskin is running back from having grabbed more gear and the recruit is being lazy again. The spiky ball traps mangled one goblin to death, 3 are in cages, one is crippled and trying to crawl away and the last just spotted a civilian and is running towards the traps.

Here you see the sixth goblin, now in mid-fall, and his crippled mate trying to crawl away. I give the crawler even money to escape from our lazy military.

1 Opal

About bloody time, finally one of the military strikes down a crippled goblin. Wardogs are mauling the other.

3 Opal

That injured final goblin got mauled a bit then was enraged so strangled one dog to death. Then the pack of dogs and a war lion attacked. He got mauled some more but injured the lion and tore up another dog so that it bled to death. Our military is back to laziness, realising that our waves of dogs will eventually do the job.

Not long after the goblin finally got munched enough to die. Time to reload the sensor units with some puppies.

13 Obsidian

Things have settled down again and the well system is ready to fill up. I have placed two levers to control the two floodgates here (the waterlock system was mostly to prevent any overpressure from drowning the dwarf who carved the fortification in the rock).

and here's the well level. The well itself is still under construction but should be done soon. The level on this floor connects to a floodgate to allow drainage via the fortification (where the yellow X is) and into a cavern.

The well setup is out of the way, but at least it is a safe source for medical water and any bucket brigades to fill ponds elsewhere (perhaps for dwarf baths for example).

The well got finished just before the year end. I think it was a fairly eventful and successful year, considering the limitations of 16 dwarves, and I hope that I've further built up the fort so future overdwarves can continue along nicely. The elf and human caravans have come but not the dwarf one. No dwarf migrants or even emissary arrived so this is a bit troubling, looks like it's procreation time to build up numbers! Anyhow, here's the status.

The next player now needs to pm to me their email address so I can send the save file onwards.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2011, 07:43:05 am »

Looks like glass is about as deadly as Christmas fruitcake. But who cares, we have cotton candy weaponry.

If we keep playing with our candy, we'll get migrants. It's our luck that the fortress hasn't had too much Fun yet with such a skeleton crew. Just how far are we from dwarven civilization?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2011, 09:36:33 am »

The next player is Jusman, and his e-mail is in his msn.

We are very, very far from the dwarven civilization. So far that they might as well be dead O.o
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2011, 10:10:53 am »

So will it be a delayed migration / trade, or none at all?

Anyhow, save has been emailed onward.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 11:10:24 am »

This game could get very interesting if we have a FB infection problem.

Think John Carpenter's "The Thing," but in the desert with dwarves.

Tolkafox, did you take a screencap of the region/world before embarking? I'm curious exactly how isolated we are.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:43:58 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »

I'll get started on this sometime tonight probably, this should be interesting... at least with our low population I know I won't have any problems with low fps  :P
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »

I started a few minutes ago and uhh... let's just say it's a little more messy than my usual fortresses. I've figured most of it out now I think, so I'll check the to-do list for where to get started. One thing I have done already is set some tunnels to be dug so I can access a couple of the caverns. I'll be chopping the trees down inside, any suggestions on what to build? We're obviously lacking in barrels though it really doesn't matter too much since we have so much food and so few dwarves. I'm thinking maybe a few barrels and some cage traps, I'll see how many logs we have left over after that.

The next update will probably be a more traditional journal entry, once I actually get started. (I've barely unpaused the game so far :P)
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2011, 08:07:04 pm »

I hope your not going into the third level caverns.... and better watch out, in our state a GCS or something of the ilk could probably take down the entire fortress.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2011, 10:45:09 pm »

I hope your not going into the third level caverns.... and better watch out, in our state a GCS or something of the ilk could probably take down the entire fortress.

QFT.

I'd suggest focusing on trapping all areas that connect the fort to the outside world and caverns, buffing our wealth for attracting migrants, building a pit for prisoners, forging some backup weaponry and trying to keep your head low in hopes that some rubes survive the trek to Bugger-all Nowhere, Population = us.

If you brick off an area for tree harvesting right away and make sure it has no leaks we should be safe from any FBs, but they like to show up at the most Fun times.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2011, 08:45:45 pm »

Oh don't worry, the caverns I breached both have no connection to the outside, starting the game up now

edit: Wait can FB swim? I might have to put a wall around of the water.
edit2: Anyone know where our dump zone is at?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:14:09 pm by Jusman »

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 10:59:14 pm »

I set up a small little pit on the surface as the dump zone so that anything rotting wouldn't disgust our dwarves.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 02:04:56 am »

1 Granite
With so few dwarves around here we've all been pretty much doing any job that needs doing, rather than focusing on one job each. I'm fine with that I suppose however this also includes the role of looking after this mess, and it looks like it's my turn at bat. This should be interesting uneventful.

10 Granite
Now that I'm done looking around I think I'm about ready to start some minor projects, so far I've broken into two caverns to cut down the trees inside, I've finished lining the bottom of our pit with deadly glass spikes:

And I've ordered our captive goblins placed inside our barracks (sans weapons of course):

I was going to release them right away but I might have to postpone that since for some reason both our soldiers are ignoring my orders to equip themselves with swords, even though there's one sitting RIGHT NEXT TO THEM.

15 Granite
Production of iron has been cancelled, while I set the production of adamantine in full swing with the construction of two more craftdwarf's workshop.

Meanwhile Plissken's been pulling pranks on his fellow soldier, telling him about a demonstration he has planned later that day and then getting a drink or falling asleep while Fath waits patiently in the barracks:

(This has happened multiple times now already.)

I go into the barracks to tell the poor dwarf he's been had, and I notice that the adamantine shortsword that was laying on the floor a few days ago is gone, but neither soldier have equipped it. I've no idea what happened to it, and I'm not walking around this place searching for a weapon's stockpile.

23 Granite
I've been noticing the rate at which our animals are giving birth. I've set up a cage where I'm going to stuff pretty much our entire animal population in, except our war animals and the random puppies chained up around the fortress.

26 Granite

>:( Is no one tough enough to make it out here? *sigh* I'm beginning to wonder if there's anyone left out there at all.  :-\

2 Slate

Yay finally the soldiers decide to start using weapons. Next time they're both in the barracks I'll let them test the swords out on goblin flesh.

13 Slate
I've set up another magma smelter.

21 Slate
Plissken has been doing a lot of demonstrations for Fath (real ones now), and their skills are improving rapidly. I've been trying to get someone to set up some levers outside their room to open the cages but everyone's been busy for awhile.

13 Felsite
The levers have been built and linked up and I've set them to be pulled. Now we wait...

15 Felsite
The first lever has been pulled, with the first strike cutting the prisoner's hand off the fight was over in no time.

Giddy as a schooldwarf I waited for the two other levers to be pulled when suddenly
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:12:58 pm by Jusman »

Infiltrator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 06:55:39 am »

Is it still possible to sign up to this madness (assuming anything's left by year 8)?
GENERATION 25:
The second time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 2 to the generation. (Slight mutations allowed)
Sociopathic experiment.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 09:57:54 am »

I was testing his sense of responsibility and duty, like one of those trollface Shaolin masters.

Gobbos! Lemmie at 'em!
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9