Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Vushcuggan Geshud Moshnun Succession game  (Read 7537 times)

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
Re: Vushcuggan Geshud Moshnun Succession game
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 10:16:57 am »

Now we're getting somewhere! Maybe we'll even have some steel cotton candy equipment by the time Eightleggedeyelessdeath and pals come rhythmically undulating up our collective dwarfy ass.

Suggestions: If you've got the time, plant some of those menacing glass spikes down in that pit for extra measure. Murphy would dictate that our fort will be rich enough to attract hordes of darkness while migrants book caravan tickets for Fluffyblankets in The Gentle Diapers, serene forest. And I like the juxtaposition of green glass traps against the red sand. Strikes me as old-school sci-fi somehow.

Also, cage traps. Lots of cage traps. I'm in the mood to piledrive some goblins in the pit.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:36:17 am by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 10:31:48 am »

Yaaaaaaaayyyyy anvils :D. we can finally do make use of all that damn admantine sooner or later! you could make a set of admantine armor for Plissken and see if those damn camels can get through that!
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 03:03:24 pm »

Wow, I'm surprised you made use of my burial area, I thought I was the only one.

I would've taken the anvils from the humans though, how dare they make us wait for our anvil! That or force them to work for us.

Whipgoblins, the first ambush for us.

So we have water and trees, plenty of food and drink, the elves are bringing us wood, plissken didn't die in the hospital, and the humans brought us an anvil. Unfortunately, we lost the cow. We traded the anvil for a cow, and now the cow traded it's life for the anvil. Dwarfs will engrave that cows bold sacrifice for ages to come.

I had the same problem with the graphics pack when I loaded it into my phoebus DF, the default for the save is curses_square.

It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 05:53:12 am »

I've had to suddenly head off to a remote site for work, so it'll be 3 days or so before I can get around to autumn and winter. So in the meantime, let's build up the to-do list. Let's see, so far:

*deploy the green glass spikes to the bottom of the pit-o-doom
*'candy' armour for plisskin
*cage traps for later arena usage (i'll let the arena itself be someone else's project)
*profit!

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:44 pm »

*devise death trap that drops invaders into the 3rd level caverns and feeds them to the giant slug with wings.

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 10:29:33 pm »

Hmm, first idea I came up with for that (without the invaders becoming meat explosions upon impact) is to drop them in stages. For that to work there needs to be a push to the next stage. Water under pressure can provide a push, so each 'landing' will have a pressurised water reservoir, a landing area, a drop zone and a drainage system. Certainly doable given time but as I'll only have half a year I'll instead help out future work towards it by making a bunch of green glass blocks and pipes (as wood is of limited availability), rock gears, grates and floodgates. With what wood is available I'll do the beginnings of a power station.

So in summary:
*make lots of green glass pipes and blocks
*make lots of rock doors, floodgates, grates, gears
*build starter power station of waterwheels

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 11:26:50 am »

Did we roll well on glass damage, or does it even pierce cloth? It looks like it'll be our primary building/trap material and all.

The multi-stage Goblin Disposal Unit looks appropriately ambitious for 16 dwarves to carry out. I'm having a hard time visualizing it, though. Will there be a single pump stack that blasts water through a series of reservoirs descending down through each Z-level to the caverns? Will the deluge keep flying FoBees from rampaging back up it?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:08:42 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 11:36:35 am »

I shall take a turn, if you don't mind. This seems like quite a challenge.

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 07:49:28 pm »

Not sure on the glass damage. The spiky glass balls bruised the victim through clothing but the setup was primarily to induce dodging into the pit so I wasn't worried about direct damage. We'll have to wait for the cage traps to net some subjects for experimentation. Depending on the found damage the Science! chamber will either be set up for executions or for danger room training.

The reasons that I won't be seeing the multi-stage pusher built yet are: we still need a water source, I don't think magma pressurises in the same way (and magma would bake the victims anyhow), we lack sufficient wood to build a big enough power station (until further trading is done). It'd be easy enough to setup an execution chute (especially as the great chasm goes from the lower cavern almost all the way up to the surface, but that's not as much fun. I'll do some sketches of my design idea though later on.

Oh, will floodgates stop a flying FB?

Hang on, would retracting bridges be a suitable way to control the fall? If so then I think I'll be able to rig up the multi-stage gobbo disposal unit :D It'll just need a bit more manual control with the extra levers required. What's the most intuitive lever setup?

So more to add to the to-do list:
*Construct mini-Science! chamber
*Setup multi-stage retracting bridge goblin disposal unit

note: I should be able to resume DF in about a day and a half.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 08:30:46 pm »

Building destroyers can take down floodgates IIRC. They can pretty much trash anything except for walls and fortifications.

Retractable bridges would definitely do the trick, and the lever setup can be done simply by carving out a control room and building the levers down the left or right side of the room as they correspond to the appropriate Z-level.

comme ça:

X = Wall
L = Lever in hideous beautiful microcline
+ = Floor

XXXXXXX
XL++++
XX++++
XL++++
XX++++
XL++++
XX++++
XL++++
XXXXXXX

The top "L" is the surface-level bridge, and each one "down the line" opens the next one below it. Make a burrow in the room and have Urist McLeverpuller yank them one by one from top to bottom. A fall of two to five Zs per retractable bridge should ensure enough twisted ankles and bonked heads by the time they land in the caverns.

Or you could try to get the top retractable bridge set up using pressure plates, but those things are a bit wonky. I've never gotten them to work right, and a couple of goblins would need to get in first to trip the plate that damned their brethren. Having someone assigned to the Control Room burrow as soon as an ambush or siege occurs would likely be the better choice.

Oh yes, and add some notes by the levers letting everyone know which is which for full clarity.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:39:59 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 12:59:47 pm »

From what I've read, glass varies in damage from useless to cotton candy grade and beyond, but the variable is set based on what you have in your fort. In other words, as long as we just have that wooden training sword that'll be the most glass traps do, but when we start forging swords from metals glass might take their property. I don't think anyone knows what exactly decides glass traps damage variable.

Do we still have 16 dwarfs? I once pumped magma up 90 something Z levels with just 50 dwarf powered pumps, but I had 100 dwarfs as well.

The new DF makes these dwarfs look like vin diesels. My 31.19 fort is sitting on dirt chairs eating at dirt tables and exporting dirt crafts. Their buildings are made out of dirt. I think my manager just shoved all of the iron in his room demanding it be turned into steel and nothing else. We went from hardcore pillagers of the earth to peasants living in mud.

igh master beekeepar, at yer service!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:45:47 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 07:11:21 pm »

The new DF makes these dwarfs look like vin diesels. My 31.19 fort is sitting on dirt chairs eating at dirt tables and exporting dirt crafts. Their buildings are made out of dirt. I think my manager just shoved all of the iron in his room demanding it be turned into steel and nothing else. We went from hardcore pillagers of the earth to peasants living in mud.

High master beekeepar, at yer service!

I'm not even going to try .19 for now since I was just getting used to this version. Once I'm satisfied with playing .18 I'll try out Cavedwarf Fortress™: Histories of Bee-stings and Skiffle.

I can't wait for Toady to implement playable instruments and dwarven bards playing the jug.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:10:36 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 08:49:29 pm »

We still have 16 dwarves (and now they're all fully functional again). I'm guessing that now the elf and human caravans have arrived that the dwarf one should arrive in Autumn (hopefully) and the liason will then trigger migrants in the following year.

Anyhow, I should be back at home tonight and I'll get stuck into some DF craziness then :)

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 06:25:58 pm »

Yeah, the new version would screw us over even more, since (I'm assuming) we don't have any grass for our animals
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 08:50:56 pm »

Yeah, the new version would screw us over even more, since (I'm assuming) we don't have any grass for our animals

There are shrubs all over the god damned place, but im not sure if those work...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:13:35 am by Sindain »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9