Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Vushcuggan Geshud Moshnun Succession game  (Read 7536 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vushcuggan Geshud Moshnun Succession game
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 12:10:17 am »

Well I'm done with my turn, I will email it shortly.

Usually I'm not too happy to see elves, but this time they brought almost everything we needed... wood, barrels, and even a tamed giant lion! pawned off a bunch of stone trinkets for everything interesting they had.

Miners finally hit the magma sea
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spring finished and onto Summer,
During summer Plissken decided to go punch more camels, one finally got her and broke her spine. But with no thread for a suture we have been unable to treat her. so she sits in bed all day moaning for water and food until someone kicks her out of the bed, and she goes and gets some food and booze like a real dwarf, she happens to be strangely happy with this routine.

Summer finishes, no human caravan D:

Fall passes uneventfully, no dwarfish caravan... no anvils >.>

Winter goes on like the other months for a while, until a fearsome beast is seen in the underground caverns!

A slug with wings.. odd and luckily for us it can't fly with those wings.

Winter ends and I think I am beginning to tire of leadership of this fort... I think I will take a break and pawn it off on some unlucky bastard for now.

Final stocks

We have plenty of food and drink, and enough beds for now, overall we aren't really in any danger from anything unless we get a flying FB or a giant eagle raid.
We don't have a military of any sorts (two under-equipped dwarfs, one of which is injured.) but all of our entrances are sealable and the top two are trapped. We also have lots of admantine mined out, but it isn't much we can do with it without an anvil.
If you don't want Plissken to die just periodically deconstruct the bed she is sleeping on, she will go get some food and booze and go back to resting. If you activate the squad they wont train because the one other squad member will sit there waiting for Plissken to lead a demonstration.
Also, make sure to get rope reed seeds from the elves if possible, we are in desperate need of thread for medical use.

"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 03:29:13 am »

Roger, I suppose I'll make sure to get all we need from the next caravan  ;D

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 12:39:53 pm »

My spiiiiiiiine

At least I'm capable enough to crawl to the stocks and stick my mouth underneath a keg with proper motivation. I should probably pick a successor if we ever get more migrants.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 02:15:15 pm »

Sorry, a bit busy. I'll mail the save to Ale Explosion now.

Ya, those camels get extremely lucky shots. I had one kick a dwarf in the head crushing it's skull into it's brain as both the dwarf and camel were running from goblins. Did you get Plissken to give up his wooden training sword that he had grown attached to?

Plissken is a hardcore dwarf, neither tide nor broken spine will keep him from his booze.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 02:25:47 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 02:41:02 pm »

Did you get Plissken to give up his wooden training sword that he had grown attached to?

I thought you did?!? But either way yeah, I'm pretty sure he hasn't been using the sword for awhile.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 03:00:15 pm »

No and I forgot to mention it :/ Honestly I don't know how he got attached to it, considering in his fight against 8 buzzards he either kicked their skull in or embedded his wooden shield in their lungs and twisted it until they suffocated or bled out. I cringed when I read those combat reports.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 04:48:15 pm »

It's symbolic of my soldierly pride! Much like how mysteriously positioned floodgates are proud symbols of dwarven nobility.

Oh yeah, how does one check the date in-game? And where do you guys normally upload screenies, Photobucket?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:00:08 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »

The date is in the upper right corner of the stock screen, and yeah I've been using Photobucket.

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 06:18:27 pm »

I think you can also see the date in the report screen. At any rate, I've received the save so if work is quiet I'll get onto it today, otherwise I'll get stuck into it tonight.

So what's the agenda thus far? So far I remember:
*deprive plisskin of sleep occasionally
*appreciate elven trade ('stay a while ... stay forever!')
*set up a variety of death-traps :D

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 11:35:57 pm »

Oh dear, I just know I'll be the death of the whole fort Plisskin
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 11:50:20 pm »

Oh dear, I just know I'll be the death of the whole fort Plisskin

I'd be the death of me, I'm terrible at micromanagement. Get some pee-pants recruit to come take notes at my bedside so that he can take my title in the worst-case.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 12:31:54 am »

Got a little time on my hands and after a graphics set problem it's good to go. Man, I've got no idea what most of this is set up to be like, no wood, no metal. Let's dorf it up!  8)

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 03:47:21 am »

ooc: I'm going to be a bit wordy to start with, mostly as I figure out what I'm doing.

28 Obsidian

Apparently it was time for new leadership and as I was the only dwarf doing a real dwarfy task at the time (drinking) I got put into command by default.

First thing I did (well, after looking around and having the chaos make me decide to have another drink) was to cancel a bunch of jobs set on repeat with items that are virtually endless (stones). No wood, no metal. There is however a magma channel set up for building forges it seems. If my pit of doom plans are to come to fruition then I must have some traps to encourage foes to jump!

I put in an order for 30 stone crafts to sell off to the next set of traders. As there seems to be alot of gems laying around I make a gem stockpile and make sure they all are to be cut. I'll need plenty of mechanisms for traps so an order of 30 for those too and as there are no jeweler shops I order one built (and assign an idler to that labour). I see a hole near the magma area so that is to be bricked up. There's another hole on the magma access stairs so for now I'll put a hatch cover there and will have to come back to protecting that area later.

Drat! No anvils. My downwards-flight-encouragers will have to be made of glass instead. There seem to be plenty of bags at least, so two magma glass furnaces are to be built and I've set up a sand collection zone.

I also sort out the plans for my pit-o-doom, which involves an extra outer bridge door to allow normal access, but when active forces the invaders to go around a big spiral to get in. That shall be built with stone walls so as to allow others to place more traps and also to protect dwarves fleeing to the interior from any bow goblins. Near the entry of the quasi-spiral is a big pit, with a ramp for in/out access (but only to the outside of the spiral) and a number of flimsy weapon traps to make them dodge into the pit. The pit shall be several z levels of depth, not enough to kill i think but it should maim so they'll be easier targets. It'll be alot of stoneworking so I've assigned another mason to get it done.

After planning another lever for door closing (to be near the main dining hall so it's easier to access in an emergency). Food and drink stocks seem to be fine for now, so let's go nuts!

12 Granite

Work is proceeding on the various projects slowly but steadily. Except when those blasted giant eagles come calling (cawing?).

One of the glass furnaces is done so time to exploit our most numerous resource: sand!

Oh, for future reference, here is the emergency door shut lever. It will close the main gate and the outer garden gate, leaving dwarves their escape path.

18 Granite

Plissken wanted a drink and insisted on booze not water, so she flung aside her bed and tromped off, despite a broken lower spine, to prove how hardcore a dwarf she is! I wish you well in your quest for booze.

We need more labour and have plenty of mechanisms and the tree-huggers can buy gems instead, so those tasks are cancelled for now.

26 Granite

Apparently Sindain was trapped behind the jeweler's workshop that she put up, pfff, just unbuild it you lazy manager I replied. Sure enough, my inspirational talk made Sindain unpack and rebuild it closer to the gem stockpile.

Aban also engraved a true masterpiece, the Harmonius Smut. Well, masterpiecely named anyhow.

16 Slate

The glass production is coming along nicely.

If dwarves idle too long I add more tasks types that they can do, no slackers allowed while we only have 16 dwarves! Thinking of which, no migrants this season, even with our apparent wealth, blast and dagnabbit!

3 Felsite

The wall is nearly done and the pit is progressing nicely but drew my attention was our recruit. You see, I had insisted that the stray doys be trained up and told the recruit to do it. Not only did the recruit train a pack, he convinced the lion to join in! As we had 11 war beasts available, I decided, that after our ultimate camel wrestler got one, that I'd assign a war dog to the first 10 dwarves I found. Might prove a lifesaver if above ground and caught out by goblin ambushers I reckon.

17 Felsite

Tree-huggers ahoy! Time to hurry up cutting those gems so we can trade for all they are worth. Normally I'd be of the more 'direct acquisition' mindset but I'm in a forgiving mood.

Thief! The war dogs chased away a filthy kobold sod. You can also see my spiral, pit and the weapon traps (which are starting to be set). Fear my giant green spiked balls!

ooc: well, that's spring done. The trade depot is being loaded as we speak and to keep you guys in suspence ...

ARGH, had an error while saving!! NOOOOOOOO! :(  :'(

well I'm still posting this because I put a fair bit of time into this. Might be a day before I'm not annoyed enough to try again. In the meantime, please add some suggestions or requests or such.

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 05:15:03 am »

Trying again, doing most of the stuff as similar to before as possible. Except the miners stumbled across a deep pit, leading from the bottom cavern almost all of the way to the surface. Will keep you posted.

edit: and with similar timing, the gobbos arrived not long after the elves did, albeit from a different direction. Luckily I managed to get things arranged a little faster this time so more traps are up. Watch this space for some action, folks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:59:55 am by Ale Explosion »

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 08:38:23 am »

21 Felsite

With the vile gobbos ambushing a poor tame warthog (great idea to have them as roving scouts though) I designated a burrow as Inside, set the alarm bells and pulled the lever. Our military just isn't equipped for this, but maybe those elves have something worth using, lets see.

The warthog leads them on a merry chase, giving us plenty of time to pull the lever and have the appropriate gates close. Now we hastily load the depot.

26 Felsite

The depot loading continues, and by booze the going is slow without bins to pile the goods into convenient groups. The gobbos are still wandering around outside, having finally killed the warthog and walked to the start of my traps. They waited and aren't doing much yet. While this was going on a kobold thief snuck in and got spotted by a miner, koboldchu I pick you!

1 Hematite

The depot loading *still* continues. The gobbos got distracted by a stray cow and chased it around for several days until they finally caught and killed it like the warthog before. Now they loom just outside the traps yet again.

Fear the spiky green balls!

Have a nice trip!

Ka-Crunch! :D

5 Hematite

That was enough to scare the rest away. Right now the victim is slowing limping away, passing out, then limping some more. Because our lazy recruit is sleeping instead of rushing out to finish the job! Damn gobbo got away, and the elf merchants are about to leave when we finally have the depot loaded so Sindain runs out there to strike a deal!

In the shopping list:
16 wood logs
4 rope
16 cages
7 empty barrels
7 barrels of booze
5 buckets
1 wood bow
1 wood spear (hey, we need whatever weapons we can get!)
1 wood mail shirt
1 wood breastplate (be picky after we get a damn anvil :P )
1 wood shield
1 wood buckler
5 bags of seed, including 1 of rope reed seed
1 bin full of cloth
125 arrows
8 sets of thread
5 splints
2 crutches

Glorious commerce! To avoid the tedium of that loading process I've ordered 6 bins be made, and then some charcoal to make sure we've a start for the coal / steel industry later. The rest I'll keep in reserve for the time being.

25 Hematite

I've commissioned some more glass trap components, this time giant spikes so I can have the waiting gobbos skewered if they linger. I've also placed cage traps near various entry points into the fortress (and I've noticed one that flyers could get in, so there too) and I'm also going to install some floodgates at a couple of these entry points as extra security. Oh, and I've modified the pit trap so that the expected impact zone is a little deeper for next time ;)

Also of note, plisskin has finally started to receive medical care! Will this result in a partial recovery (as we still lack plaster) or will it be an ignoble death via infection? Place your bets!

26 Hematite

Found that a kobold corpse that I had ordered dumped didn't actually go to the small out of the way pit I had set up for garbage, but instead to some old rock dump inside. After discovering the stink I then rectified the problem.

Oh, is there anything actually useful to do with adamantine before we have a forge? Oh wait, apparently it's great for surturing with (as they seemed to shove the hospital full with it)!?

9 Malachite

The doctor finally got around to setting the spine of Plisskin and then applied a bandage and instantly Plisskin leaped up and returned to business! Huzzah! Mind you, after this much investment of effort into her wellbeing, I'm having a squad of war dogs trained to be her meat shields.

23 Malachite

So many damn yapping puppies around, more than we can eventually train and use even. Well we have been mostly vegetarian so now it's time to get meat back on the diet. Plus a handy source of bolts. Dagnabbit, still no migrants.

13 Galena

A human caravan has arrived. After the previous reports I had not expected anything so I'm not sure how much crafts and gems we've restocked in between them and the elves. Anyhow, let's get loading!

17 Galena

It's amazing how much faster the loading was with some bins available. We bought a bunch of odds and ends, including a little bit of wood. All of it pales in comparison to the iron anvils, metal ahoy! Production of the forges and smelters shall commence immediately! Now we're cooking with magma.

28 Galena

Autumn has come and as the forges are getting set up I finally remember to arrange a burial area. Also shown is the set of stairs that leads down eventually to the magma forging zone. The lever is hooked up to two floodgates to block off the area in the event of an emergency.

ooc: alrighty, half way through now and have had some successes :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9