Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Vushcuggan Geshud Moshnun Succession game  (Read 7518 times)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Vushcuggan Geshud Moshnun Succession game
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:56:44 pm »

"Hotsand the Fortress of Suicide"

Player List:
/Y1: Tolkafox-Expedition leader/self proclaimed miner
/Y2: Sindain-Appointed stockpile manager
/Y3: Ale Explosion-Exploding gear lover
/Y4: Jusman-Crafter of stones/broker
/Y5: Ahasver-Culinary extraordinaire
/Y6: Plissken-Wrestler of Minotaurs
Y7: Crazy Cow-Slayer of Goblins
Y8: Infiltrator-Sitter of Tables
Y9: Darkrider2-Rider of Warlions
Y10: Tolkafox-Party Miner
Y11: Plissken-Biter of Goblins
Y12: Jusman-Broker of Magma

Oddly enough, the name fits.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now for the story: ^.^

And there you have it, year one. No, there is no dates as I didn't keep track of them. The screen shots are all taken spring of the next year. Yes, I'm a mediocre story teller. No, I didn't think naming it would make it more fun, but it did.
But from what I've gathered: There are no trees. All the wood is used, 5 bins and a bunch of barrels and beds. You don't have enough barrels, no where near enough. You have plenty of beds for 50 dwarves easy.
The fortress design is not walking efficient, in fact it's the most egotistical design I've come up with. The dwarves are split into four guilds: Masons (miners,smithies,whatever) guild, Farmers guild, Crafters guild, and Fighters guild. There's more than enough room to fit as much as you want, as well as a few glorified stockpiles. If you put them all in their respective rooms (not set up yet) they should work efficiently, but it's the first design so moving products between guilds is most likely not.
As far as I can tell there is no caverns. No water. No trees. Limited plants, mostly just berries and flour. I could be mistaken, of course.
A caravan hasn't come yet. The 16 dwarves that are here are most likely all there will be, I've yet to see if humans/elves will come but I'm not counting on them. If they do this should be easy, if not this should be fun.
There is no, I repeat, NO ANVIL. This games anvil was traded en route for a cow and some magical beans. There are no traps. There are no weapons outside of a wooden training sword. There is no armor outside of what leather you can make and a wooden shield. There is a kobold thief in the farms. (heads up) I have no clue what to do for defenses, I'll leave that up to whoever.

Soooo...sound like a game? Anyone up for a fun challenge? I haven't played for long, but this has got to be the worst case scenario I have ever encountered. I've had fun the first year setting it all up, but now that I realize how much **** these poor dwarves are in I decided to share it. I do apologize for the lack of screenshots, but I didn't realize I was going to be sharing the game until winter :/ The whole fortress is dug out, farms are set up, some workshops are in place, kitchen/still are up and running, dining room has some tables and chairs in it, nobles are in place, most basic jobs are covered, and beds are waiting for people to be assigned to them.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:25:28 am by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Ale Explosion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vushcuggan Geshud Moshnun Succession game
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:57:51 am »

Seems interesting. Dorf me as 'Urist McExplode' the 'Gear Lover' (mechanic, engineer or such), please. I wouldn't mind giving it a go but probably not as the second turn as I'm not sure how I'd go about solving the dehydration problem.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:31:02 am »

Sounds Fun, so i guess ill take a turn somewhere in the 2nd to 4th turns.

P.S lots and lots and lots of stone fall traps for defense?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:34:39 am by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:29:05 pm »

Great, that's two people! I'll put Sindain down for the second year and Ale Explosion can take year 3.

The dehydration problem isn't from a lack of plants, it's more the barrels. Cutting all barrels from all non-booze stockpiles should solve it to some extent.

Also, I didn't bother paying attention to the embark screen, but there is a chance that humans or elves might come. Maybe.

Should we decide when to start, or wait for more? O.o
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:31:40 pm by tolkafox »

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:06:39 pm »

Well I just got on break so i don't really care when we start, but i wouldn't say any later than Sunday. (If we don't get more people.)

Also, are we going to use email to transfer saves?

Email: Yellowboy7@aol.com
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:32:35 pm by Sindain »

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:12:25 pm »

Considering I haven't gotten any, I would say that's a no. I would like to as it would make things easier, but I can always upload it to DFFD or something.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:51:57 pm »

I'll sign up for year 4, hopefully my fps won't be too bad. If possible I'll be your stonecrafter/ broker. My email is on the side
First succession fort too  :D
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Ahasver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 12:22:51 pm »

Sounds fun. Sign me up for year 5, and I'll be Ahasver, the culinary extraordinaire. (Brewing included if needed)

Email is jhnobes@gmail.com in case we're using them.

Also, this is my first succession game. When .31.18 came out I just started a new world, but when the next release comes out will we be able to carry the save file over? There's nothing like honey in the desert.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 12:34:31 pm »

Since my other succession game's turn is a long time coming, I'm down for Y6. PM me when my turn is up and, if possible, dorf me a soldier and either give me a crossbow or don't give me a weapon so that my wrestling goes up. Spell it "Plissken."

This is my first succession game too and I've never embarked in such a hellhole as this, so this should be Fun. If it hasn't happened already by the time it's my turn I'm heading down until I hit either water or magma.

I'm faux.german at the gmail dot com.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:01:20 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 01:21:05 pm »

Alright that's five people ^.^ I'm sure that's enough to start so I'll send the fort to Sindain, and when he's done he can send it back to me and I'll pass it on to the next person. No one has mentioned the time, so I'm guessing the game starts today if Sindain is here, or tomorrow if he's not. Each turn is a year and you have no more than a week per turn (if that's acceptable to everyone) Stop when the spring save comes of course, although I went a few frames in by accident :/

Anyone else that wants to join can feel free to do so, I'll probably take year 7 to see what fun has happened firsthand.

I don't know if the save will carry over to the next version, it should but there has been one case where it didn't.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:55:22 pm by tolkafox »

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 03:45:32 pm »

Ok just loaded into the fort...

And you are right when you said this fortress isn't efficient, i have no clue whats even going on here...

Eh, The barrel situation isn't as bad as you made it sound, as long as we make sure the food piles don't steal too many we will be fine.

And before i actually start playing, one quick nooby question, how do you take screen shots?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:50:21 pm by Sindain »

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 04:16:23 pm »

Printscreen key to take a whole screenshot, or alt-prntscrn to just take a picture of your active window.
Oh, and if you have windows vista or 7 you have a nice snipping tool that's fun to use. Just search for 'snipping'

Upload them to an image hosting site, like photobucket.

Now for the fortress....I had already tested decentralized staircases, but I wanted to see if decentralizing dwarfs would work just as well. Each dwarf falls into one of the four guilds:

Each guild has it's own logo, own working area, own stockpile, and own shared sleeping halls. I theorized that if each dwarf slept and worked in a centralized area, and they all came to eat in a fortress area, that they might become better friends with like dwarfs but still be sociable. Outside of that, it's completely useless unless you split the farmers guild into all of the other guilds.

What you see before you is a product of that theory: a complete mess. Feel free as the new ruler to make any changes to it.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:18:49 pm by tolkafox »

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 07:00:36 pm »

I'm guessing a lot is going to fall by the wayside in this arid hell.

What alignment is the embark zone?
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 07:09:52 pm »

Well things may have just got a lot more interesting!

Here i am, the new ruler of this dirt hole. After the old ruler had a mental breakdown (he ran around the fortress screaming something about no hope and caverns) I seized control of this hole.

The first two months of my rule went by pretty uneventful, our dogs breed like cats, still no caravans, and our militia commander demanded we started calling her Plissken and started punching camels to death.

During this entire time i had our miners dig down in hopes of finding magma or caverns. In the third month of spring we finally hit warm stone. Not wanting anyone to die a fiery death, I had our miners go up a few levels and continue digging, in hopes of getting on top of the magma. And then on the 14th of Felsite...

And that isnt all our miners found down there...

Well we have mining and woodcutting to do now!

*EDIT* *UPDATE*

Just got a elvish caravan! someone does know we exist!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:14:35 pm by Sindain »

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 11:56:42 pm »

That was a fast. Desert biomes really pay off with their low elevation.

I guess they were Bedouinelves, because I can't imagine those forest pansies hauling ass through a blasted Mars-like landscape such as ours.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9