Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Alligators in the sewers  (Read 4366 times)

rentheunclean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alligators in the sewers
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »

Would it be possible to drain the water, set up chains, tie tamed alligators to them, and then flood it again?

Or would they just die?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 08:31:48 pm »

Aligators are amphibious, I believe.  The problem is they'd need to be tame gators.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 08:53:34 pm »

When I read the title this I thought you set up a defence of aligators in your sewer.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 09:05:42 pm »

Obsidianify a several tiles, then carve one into a fortification, and dig out the rest.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 09:52:20 pm »

...why not just BUILD a fortification?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 10:55:30 pm »

God, this reminds me of the time an entire goblin siege got into my fortress.  I was built into a cliff, with a waterfall going through my fortress.  The sewer system was fairly complicated, having to deal with that.  Come winter, the lake it flowed into froze over.  A goblin siege arrived, and simply walked across the frozen lake, into my sewer system with the nice walkways for maintenance, and into my fortress.  Meanwhile, I was looking around wondering where the siege was when suddenly I got twenty "Urist McDwarf has bled to death!" messages.

Cue facepalm.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 12:30:54 am »

i like the chained gator idea.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 02:34:45 am »

God, this reminds me of the time an entire goblin siege got into my fortress.  I was built into a cliff, with a waterfall going through my fortress.  The sewer system was fairly complicated, having to deal with that.  Come winter, the lake it flowed into froze over.  A goblin siege arrived, and simply walked across the frozen lake, into my sewer system with the nice walkways for maintenance, and into my fortress.  Meanwhile, I was looking around wondering where the siege was when suddenly I got twenty "Urist McDwarf has bled to death!" messages.

Cue facepalm.

... :( ??? :o >:( :-\ :'( :'( :'(

this story in smiley form.

anyway, why don't you just dig out a resevoir, fill it then make the well. I never make a well connected to the outside.
What do you think? Yes? No?

VinWij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 04:38:11 am »

Make the passage drainable into some emergency reservoir or with pumps, build cagetraps in the water and you're done for catching crocs. Including grates is a much safer idea, though, in case of FB's. I usually line up 4 or 5 grates just to be sure, since flow can push things through. You can also include a floodgate and just fill up the reservoir every now and then when it gets empty, so you can do so when no FB is present.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 07:09:07 am »

How about placing your well not directly over the water but with one level of air between them? It seems rather undwarfy rational solution.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Mandango

• Bay Watcher
  • mayor cancels Destroy Building: Resting injury.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 06:02:14 am »

How about placing your well not directly over the water but with one level of air between them? It seems rather undwarfy rational solution.
did not know that would still work, thank you good sir
Don't forget to check that a live puppy not falling to his doom will also set off such a plate of course.
I'm not sure if I follow the logic here.  So... how do we kill the puppies?

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 06:05:12 am »

How about some kind of water arena. Sharks, Carps vs. Crocs if possible.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 11:16:40 am »

did not know that would still work, thank you good sir

Not only that, but it will work with any number of levels of air between the well and the water. On a map with no water on the surface, I dug a well with a direct 80 z-level tunnel down to the ceiling of a cavern with water and the well still worked.

Probably not that good of an idea though since flying cave creatures could still make their way up it eventually, but at the time I was more worried about just getting a reliable water source.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 02:34:23 pm »

I dug a well with a direct 80 z-level tunnel down to the ceiling of a cavern with water and the well still worked.

Probably not that good of an idea though since flying cave creatures could still make their way up it eventually, but at the time I was more worried about just getting a reliable water source.
And that'll take hell a lot of time also. A dwarf with a bucket covers 80 levels stair faster than a bucket lifting to a well. In one fort water was freezing faster than it was obtained thus forcing dwarves to start from the beginning. It didn't cancel job and thus there was a huge queue at the well.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 10:27:52 am »

Yea, that's true, it is very slow. I'll have to build stairs all the way down the shaft to see how much of a speed improvement there is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3