Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Leather Goods?  (Read 2678 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Best Leather Goods?
« on: February 10, 2011, 07:52:43 pm »

I recently tried to freeze an aquifer...but failed to consider that it would also freeze my miner with my only pick. Oops.

The upshot is, no stone. Only wood. I decided to use my war grizzly bear and his owner (a Legendary fighter, Master wrestler, Skilled biter, Legendary striker, Talented kicker, Professional armor user, and Novice dodger due to failing to kill a camel before I had the bear trained) kill a camel to turn its assorted parts into assorted products, because I need wood for my bedrooms.

Anyhoo, I need to know what to do with the leather for the best value when the traders come. What do you suggest?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Best Leather Goods?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:54:27 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Value

All leather gives the same armor value, so if you're making armor just go by personal preference, or use cheap leather if you want to trade the expensive leather.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 08:07:35 pm »

Ideally, you'll make a robe out of the leather. Robes have a base value of 33.

Of course, since your idiots dwarves might decide that they like the look of that fancy new robe, preventing you from selling it, it might be more beneficial to make waterskins instead. You always get 3 waterskins per piece of leather, and at a base value of 10 each, that's a total of 30 base value.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:13:47 pm »

Ideally, you'll make a robe out of the leather. Robes have a base value of 33.

Of course, since your idiots dwarves might decide that they like the look of that fancy new robe, preventing you from selling it, it might be more beneficial to make waterskins instead. You always get 3 waterskins per piece of leather, and at a base value of 10 each, that's a total of 30 base value.
Any way to stop 'em from taking it, short of forbidding the robes?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:43:43 pm »

Since it's early in the fort, everyone should have unworn clothes. They're less likely, at least, to claim clothes if they're already wearing things on those body parts. There's no certain way of stopping them from claiming the robe, though.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 09:47:08 pm »

Since it's early in the fort, everyone should have unworn clothes. They're less likely, at least, to claim clothes if they're already wearing things on those body parts. There's no certain way of stopping them from claiming the robe, though.
There should be some way to prevent it though, an order to the effect of "The clothes we're making are for the traders, you morons, so don't claim them," or else a designation for individual clothes.
Sig

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 09:52:22 pm »

give the starving hobo what he wants. its not like hes gonna get any more clothes for the next 50 years
LOSING IS FUN!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:58:46 pm »

give the starving hobo what he wants. its not like hes gonna get any more clothes for the next 50 years
If this happens, the "starving hobo" (actually the fort's inhabitants are eating well; a farm of aboveground seeds and a dedicated herbalist, along with a fisher, a river, and plenty of alcohol are keeping 'em well fed) is hurting himself and the fort and therefore may be given "Station yourself here until you fall a few Z-levels to your doom" orders.
Sig

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:03:10 pm »

I recently tried to freeze an aquifer...but failed to consider that it would also freeze my miner with my only pick. Oops.
If you get a new pick, you can dig out the corpse and retrieve the one frozen in the ice.  Oh, and you will be able to bury the body of your dwarfsickle too.  (And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience there ...  ::)).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:11:57 pm »

If you get a new pick, you can dig out the corpse and retrieve the one frozen in the ice.  Oh, and you will be able to bury the body of your dwarfsickle too.  (And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience there ...  ::)).
I don't know if I'd do that, I bet he'd make for an.. interesting decoration. Dig around the dwarfsickle, but leave him there in his cube of ice as a sort of monument/warning - an engraved slab next to him is a must.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »

I don't know if I'd do that, I bet he'd make for an.. interesting decoration. Dig around the dwarfsickle, but leave him there in his cube of ice as a sort of monument/warning - an engraved slab next to him is a must.
Yeah.  I had this happen back in .14 (or was it .12?) so I didn't have to worry about ghosts.  Unfortunately, the first dorf to try to dig out the body pick, hit some water that instantly refroze, making it a double-dwarfsicle. :(  The next miner, however, was able to recover both picks so I could continue my much needed expansion (stupid 20+ migrant waves).

As for what leather goods to make ... if you've gotten a visit from teh Mountainhome, you might luck out and have them request a particular type of item that can be made of leather. (e.g., boots, shields, water skins, etc).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:41:17 am »

If this happens, the "starving hobo" (actually the fort's inhabitants are eating well; a farm of aboveground seeds and a dedicated herbalist, along with a fisher, a river, and plenty of alcohol are keeping 'em well fed) is hurting himself and the fort and therefore may be given "Station yourself here until you fall a few Z-levels to your doom" orders.
you know, random clothing claiming is inevitable in vanilla. every dwarves will lay claim to more clothings then they can wear eventually.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 07:43:54 am »

It's unfrozen now, but I can't see any trace of the pick. Uh, or the miner either.

you know, random clothing claiming is inevitable in vanilla. every dwarves will lay claim to more clothings then they can wear eventually.
Crud.
...Wait, in vanilla? How do you change that?
Sig

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 08:04:15 am »

You make all [LAYER:UNDER] into [LAYER:ARMOR] so that all articles of clothing are considered armor, and thus never rot or get claimed.  You have to make squads for your people to wear anything.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 11:15:36 am »

You could make a "trade goods pit" directly above the depot, and create a custom stockpile that accepts only your preferred types of trade goods.  The process would be:

(1) Start production cycle, crank out a few dozen leather robes.
(2) Leather robes of Fine-or-better quality get moved to the trade stockpile
(3) Designate the entire stockpile for dumping
(4) Haulers/Dumpers drop the now-forbidden items onto the depot
(5) At caravan time, unforbid the items and select them for "Move Items to Depot".

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.
Pages: [1] 2