Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best Leather Goods?  (Read 2679 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Best Leather Goods?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 11:28:46 am »

Too much micro-managing.  Just produce a load of cloth robes until everyone's got one, then start the good leather robes that no one will claim.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 02:22:19 pm »

I *really* miss GCS chitin armor in the new versions
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 04:51:34 pm »

I recently tried to freeze an aquifer...but failed to consider that it would also freeze my miner with my only pick. Oops.
If you get a new pick, you can dig out the corpse and retrieve the one frozen in the ice.  Oh, and you will be able to bury the body of your dwarfsickle too.  (And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience there ...  ::)).
What if the ice melted and I can't find the corpse or pick?

You could make a "trade goods pit" directly above the depot, and create a custom stockpile that accepts only your preferred types of trade goods.  The process would be:

(1) Start production cycle, crank out a few dozen leather robes.
(2) Leather robes of Fine-or-better quality get moved to the trade stockpile
(3) Designate the entire stockpile for dumping
(4) Haulers/Dumpers drop the now-forbidden items onto the depot
(5) At caravan time, unforbid the items and select them for "Move Items to Depot".
That is a large amount of work and micromanagement for a small benefit. Kinda like DF in general.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 06:48:08 pm »

I recently tried to freeze an aquifer...but failed to consider that it would also freeze my miner with my only pick. Oops.
If you get a new pick, you can dig out the corpse and retrieve the one frozen in the ice.  Oh, and you will be able to bury the body of your dwarfsickle too.  (And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience there ...  ::)).
What if the ice melted and I can't find the corpse or pick?
That I don't know.  It was still the very first spring when it happened to me, so I rushed to get the pick(s) back so I could mine in the six months before the first caravan arrived.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 07:26:58 pm »

Leather robes are ok I suppose. I use most of my leather making boots and waterskins personally. Why? becuase they need more durability than cloth, but more comfort than metal. I mean, who walks around in cloth shoes? people with deformed feet, that's who. I make waterskins just for military completeness. They get thirsty sometimes, and I don't have the metal to spare steel flasks for everyone.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 07:30:33 pm »

I use silk, if available, or pig-tail if not.  Common dorfs don't care, they snag all the socks they can indiscriminately.  Why should the greedy, naked peons get special wares?  Leather, I usually use for my military though, as it's moderately tougher than cloth, so cloaks and hoods for everyone!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 09:06:55 pm »

I use silk, if available, or pig-tail if not.  Common dorfs don't care, they snag all the socks they can indiscriminately.  Why should the greedy, naked peons get special wares?  Leather, I usually use for my military though, as it's moderately tougher than cloth, so cloaks and hoods for everyone!
Neither is available. Silk requires caverns or evil areas, of which I have neither, and pig tails require underground mud. I also lack that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 09:10:12 pm »

Perhaps, but rope weed is surface friendly.  Collect some plants and some rope weed will turn up.  Process it to get seeds, and re-plant.  Cloth Industry Get.
Pages: 1 [2]