Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunters...  (Read 1247 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunters...
« on: February 10, 2011, 07:07:45 pm »

So, one of my Dwarves decided to start hunting. He isn't hunting just anything, though. He wanted to prove himself as a true hunter. So, he grabs his crossbow, and his bolts, and walks towards my staircase. The cavern entrance has been temporarily opened for web harvesting. He takes advantage of this, and starts his hunt. He spots his quarry. A Giant Cave Spider. He shoots it, and is immediately webbed, then poisoned. I have to send in the military to kill it, before it kills the other idiot who went to collect Urist Mchunter's corpse.

WHY?! Why did he have to attack the spider?! I didn't even know anyone even had hunting enabled! Can't you hunt something less dangerous?!
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:13:01 pm »

It is well known that dwarves will flee in the stupidest direction possible when unarmed, and that the addition of a mere cow bone crossbow changes this entirely, resulting in the fiercest, most cut-throat dwarf who ever lived.  This is why my Legendary+5 Armorsmith saw a babysnatcher at the front gate, and proceeded to shoulder his way past aforementioned babysnatcher and directly outside, where a waiting ambush caught him, and also why with a squad of 10 men, one will see an entire siege approaching and rush in, copper short sword a-swinging into the fray.  Granted, he almost WON that one...

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:35:24 pm »

Never underestimate the stupidity of dwarves.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 07:52:10 pm »

THis should be sigged...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:55:21 pm »

They're not stupid. They're advanced!

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 09:10:19 pm »

I can one up that stupidity, just several hours ago.

I am forming a deep moat around my fortress, currently the depth is 3 floors, and I just defeated a siege, so one of my miners goes to grab some of the loot, but he spots the most horrifying creature in all of dwarf fortress a mere 20 tiles away, a ground hog, seeing this terror his only possible course of action was to jump head first into the dry moat and instantly die....

I wish dwarfs would not be deadly afraid of anything that moves.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »

I am forming a deep moat around my fortress, currently the depth is 3 floors, and I just defeated a siege, so one of my miners goes to grab some of the loot, but he spots the most horrifying creature in all of dwarf fortress a mere 20 tiles away, a ground hog, seeing this terror his only possible course of action was to jump head first into the dry moat and instantly die....

Was it the kind that shoots lazers from its eyes?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:16:47 pm »

Was it the kind that shoots lazers from its eyes?
No, you're thinking of the sharks.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:26:41 pm »

Blindness makes a dwarf fearless.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:40:52 pm »

maybe it was one of the old bugged groundhogs with abnormal teeth
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:00 pm »

It's a weird fact. If a groundhog is being pounded by your Armok's Chosen Legendary Warriors and their war elephants, your woodcutter will flee, even if he's a retired axedwarf. However, a green hunter with a cruddy groundhog bone crossbow (courtesy of the aforementioned Armok's Chosen) and a half-dozen wooden bolts will gladly shoot the local wildlife, even if it's the wild cousins of those war elephants. This gets messy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 10:03:37 pm »

Indeed, I can live with the dwarfs getting themselves killed, I think of it as natural selection, the worst part is having to constantly individually resume all those constructions from monsters/wildlife that poses the masons/architects/mechanics 0 actual danger.
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 02:40:28 pm »

Indeed, I can live with the dwarfs getting themselves killed, I think of it as natural selection, the worst part is having to constantly individually resume all those constructions from monsters/wildlife that poses the masons/architects/mechanics 0 actual danger.

Normally I am a strong believer in natural selection, but he was an important Dwarf. I will build a grand temple in his honor.