Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Single-player games with marathon levels.  (Read 3213 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Single-player games with marathon levels.
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:27:54 pm »

Okay. I think this is the first time I've made a topic specifically looking for a certain sort of game. Or, rather, recommendations for a very specific kind of video games. To sum up what I'm looking for, see this elegant and finely crafted link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarathonLevel.

I love games with replay value. I also like games that have enjoyable core concepts. Unfortunately, not all enjoyable games have a lot of replay value, and that's where this comes in: a dungeon, or cave, or maybe a temple, or WHAT HAVE YOU in-game that is a massive timesink in the sense that it has a truly gargantuan amount of floors/levels compared to other areas in the game.

The only other real requirement I have is that the game is not an MMO of any sort. I know WoW and such have several variations of No Social Life: The Dungeon, but I don't enjoy doing that while inside an MMO.

To better refine my preferences (though not at all requirements):

Better: Each floor is at least somewhat different/varied. (The marathon levels that tend to crop up as bonus content in certain Final Fantasy games, for example)
Worse: All floors have similar layout, enemy type, etc. (Disgaea's item world comes to mind, even though the world depends on the item)

Better: The dungeon/level/whatever is 100+ floors long. (I love the idea of an insurmountable dungeon)
Worse: The dungeon/level/whatever is less than 50 floors long. (A lot of "bonus dungeons" in RPGs)

Better: If the floors are procedurally generated, they're at least interesting (think Unangband's dungeon generation, only with the "interesting" amp'd up several levels, as implausible as that is)
Worse: If the floors are procedurally generated, they're more of the same, just with increasing difficulty (think a lot of early roguelikes)

Better: The game is not a roguelike. (I already know most roguelikes feature this, but with undesirable results due to the example in "worse" just above)

I think that's about it, really. I wonder if anyone will actually read this. Oh, and I've skimmed through the tvtropes article -- I've played most of the ones that sound interesting enough (usually with disappointing results)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Single-player games with marathon levels.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:30:58 pm »

Disgaea is a marathon game. >.>

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:37:44 pm »

I remember Dark Cloud on the PS2 having some pretty long dungeons, though it's been a reaaally long time since I've played it so I can't promise anything.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 06:41:23 pm »

I remember Dark Cloud on the PS2 having some pretty long dungeons, though it's been a reaaally long time since I've played it so I can't promise anything.

I've heard a lot of good things about this game.

Disgaea is a marathon game. >.>

That's why I love it.
But the levels weren't actually all that great.
Phantom brave did a similar thing (since it even uses the same engine, by the same company) but with more varied and pronounced random level themes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:43:49 pm by freeformschooler »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:44:29 pm »

Dark Cloud definitely had a marathon dungeon. I never played through it, but I think it had somewhere around 100 levels(every other dungeon was around 10-15 levels).

Devil May Cry 2 and 3 both had a marathon level, with 9999 levels in it(you can skip 10 or 100 at a time though, but it makes it harder faster). Maybe DMC4 has it, but I haven't played yet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:44:56 pm »

Populus 2, a strategy game of sorts. The game features 1000 levels, but you're able to progress through several at once based on your performance in a level.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:46:33 pm »

I used to play a Nascar game in the old days. One that tried to be realistic, as much as games in that era could be. You could play a full race, which in Nascar terms is a marathon.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 06:48:43 pm »

9999 levels

what
i must try this

I used to play a Nascar game in the old days. One that tried to be realistic, as much as games in that era could be. You could play a full race, which in Nascar terms is a marathon.

Heh, I remember a similar game for the Sega Genesis (yes, with mode 7 graphics or whatever). It definitely had a full marathon length race.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 07:01:06 pm »

I think any dungeon or city in Daggerfall would qualify, or even the whole world for that matter.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 07:13:38 pm »

I was going to happily point out Disgaia!...but then I got shut down.  :(

That's okay, my ex didn't like me playing the item world either.

(...she was all about the story mode though)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 07:27:36 pm »

Heh, I remember a similar game for the Sega Genesis (yes, with mode 7 graphics or whatever). It definitely had a full marathon length race.
Was it a game with a car with a jet engine? If so, I used to play that game a lot when I was a kid. Some races were so long they even added the day-night effect. :)

Wurm is also a marathon game. I remember walking 2 hours irl or so to get to copperblazes in the old server. That and you have to grind waaaay too much. Just getting to level 50 in any skill means you will waste like a million clicks of your mouse through lil java menus.

Monday Night Combat has two infinite modes, but it doesn't really become a marathon, since you will most likely lose before that.

Anarchy online has a random dungeon generator and can make really huge dungeons that have multiple levels. So you can have infinite dungeons to play in. I had some that would take 20-30 minutes to complete fully.

Magicka's challenge mode could be considered a marathon, but I'm not sure how much time people put in them.

I think any dungeon or city in Daggerfall would qualify, or even the whole world for that matter.
Dungeons in Daggerfall are pretty quick to complete once you understand how the blocks are formed. (And you have stealth + Running past 50)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 07:28:07 pm »

DoomRL's Angel of 100 mode may count. It's a roguelike though.
La Mulana - HELL TEMPLE
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:32:34 pm by Blaze »

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:31:46 pm »

Recettear may fit the bill here, although it gets really repetitive and there's no point for all that money you accumulate.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 07:59:28 pm »

La Mulana - HELL TEMPLE

La Mulana is the best. I never got to hell temple so I'll attempt to do that some time.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 08:10:24 pm »

A good number of SNES JRPGs have these. Offhand I can remember the Lufia games and maybe Breath of Fire.
Pages: [1] 2