Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Looking for nice slow games  (Read 3179 times)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for nice slow games
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 05:40:20 pm »

I wouldn't even call SE4 complex.  I'd say that it is really deep, has a lot of freedom/customization, but it's not complex in a MOO3 sort of way (where you have no idea what half the options even do).  An average player will be able to pick up the game after playing an hour or two.

Perhaps, but unless you play on very high initial tech / very fast research you won't know half your options for a very long time. It's hard to set yourself long-term goals when you don't know what these could be.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 05:41:26 pm »

LP of SE4 would take far too long, so i doubt you'll find anything usefull in it

It didn't last very long anyhow (one episode) and in it nothing happened except stuff the Letsplayer made up or cheated for.

I am trying to look into SE4, maybe there is a demo somewhere... but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:45:52 pm by Neonivek »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 05:41:38 pm »

Knights of Honor - moderately complex strategy game taking place in medieval Europe. The AI seemed relatively... well, rational at the time (compared to the Total War series).

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 05:47:15 pm »

LP of SE4 would take far too long, so i doubt you'll find anything usefull in it

It didn't last very long anyhow (one episode) and in it nothing happened except stuff the Letsplayer made up or cheated for.

I am trying to look into SE4, maybe there is a demo somewhere... but I doubt it.

There is a demo. Here

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 06:00:15 pm »

medieval total war 2 w/ Kingdoms and this mod: Rusichi Total War http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1117

It is fairly chillax, very solid gameplay, at least until the Mongols pop, then you can kiss your Russian ass goodbye as seen in history
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 06:01:58 pm »

Knights of Honor - moderately complex strategy game taking place in medieval Europe. The AI seemed relatively... well, rational at the time (compared to the Total War series).

Oh I have that one! Yes it is very slow paced.
So slow that I often use cheats to make things go faster.  :P

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 06:18:37 pm »

If not X-Com, I recommend MAX2. I think it's available on GoG.

And it is:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/m_a_x_m_a_x_2

MAX 2 was probably the strategy game I've put most time into.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 06:19:33 pm »

It's off-genre, but Everyday Genius: SquareLogic is nice if you like sudoku type stuff (it's not Sudoku exactly).  No time limit, just nice relaxing thinking.  Sometimes it's on huge sale on Steam; I find it nice to have around.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 06:20:19 pm »

I love GoG but it isn't an option for me right now.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 11:15:28 pm »

So, I have to ask, I just bought EU3, but have been seeing a lot of posts about Space Empires IV, and it sounds pretty sweet.  I did buy Star Ruler, but I haven't really gotten into it yet, but am looking at buying Space Empires IV?   I mean, hell, its only ten bucks right?

See, I've always loved the idea of the slow paced 4x type games, but god do I suck at them and haven't put forth enough effort to fully understand the gameplay to really get into them.  I don't know if I'm just retarded, or have ADD, or just suck at strategy.  But god damnit I'm going to brute force me way to be decent at at least ONE of these titles... so which one would you recommend I concentrate on?

EDIT :
MAX 2 was probably the strategy game I've put most time into.
sweet, looks a lot like Dune 2

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:20:27 pm by postal83 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 11:39:47 pm »

Ohh bow is Space Empires 4 slow...

Just to tell you how much so. The demo lets you have 100 turns.

There is a lot of micromanage.

I guess I'll look into Age of Wonders next. There is apperantly a sequel (actually a third too...)

Is there a reason why Age of Wonders was suggested but none of its 2 sequels (though one looks like sort of a mission pack) were? Is it like Space Empires where the 5th is bad and 4th is good?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:10:08 am by Neonivek »

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 11:50:00 pm »

So, I have to ask, I just bought EU3, but have been seeing a lot of posts about Space Empires IV, and it sounds pretty sweet.  I did buy Star Ruler, but I haven't really gotten into it yet, but am looking at buying Space Empires IV?   I mean, hell, its only ten bucks right?

See, I've always loved the idea of the slow paced 4x type games, but god do I suck at them and haven't put forth enough effort to fully understand the gameplay to really get into them.  I don't know if I'm just retarded, or have ADD, or just suck at strategy.  But god damnit I'm going to brute force me way to be decent at at least ONE of these titles... so which one would you recommend I concentrate on?

You sound exactly like me before I started playing SE4.  I played the MOO series and I played the Galactic Civ series, and even tried more modern titles like Sword of the Stars and Distant Worlds.  I could never really get into any of them.

I have always been a big fan of Civ 2.  Not Civ 3,4 or even 5.  I realized that the reason I liked it so much was because it was so easy to mod.  It didn't require me to learn Python or model in Maya or anything like that.  I just needed to Notepad and Paint to do anything I wanted.  SE4 lets you do the same thing.

Aside from modding, I also like that SE4 lets you play the game exactly how you want.  You can research any techs you want, in any order that you want, or you can simply not research anything at all and sit on your laurels waiting for the aliens to come to you.  There are a lot of events and techs that allow you to change the galaxy in huge ways, like destroying planets or even entire systems.  This makes the game feel pretty epic, especially coupled with multiplayer where you can smash your friends. 

I don't really see the point of 3D rendering in games like SotS, Star Ruler, SE5, and Galactic Civ 2.  They really do nothing for the game-play and I find myself getting distracted by it, rather than concentrating on the game at hand.  SE4 runs on any system (in fact, you can easily run multiple instances on one machine) and I've never had the game crash on me.  I can leave it for hours and come back later without worrying about a memory leak or overheating my computer as a 3D game might do.

The only part of the game that is relatively weak is combat.  It's pretty clunky, but it still gets the job done.  Oh, and the AI isn't all that great (although the TDM mod improves them), but at least there's multi-player to give you a challenge.

I think the Space Empires series is a pretty underrated game that has been overshadowed by the MOO series.  I personally like it more than MOO 2, simply because it does everything MOO2 does,  but gives you even more freedom and customization (and doesn't require DosBox).

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 05:20:40 am »

Ohh bow is Space Empires 4 slow...

Just to tell you how much so. The demo lets you have 100 turns.

There is a lot of micromanage.

I guess I'll look into Age of Wonders next. There is apperantly a sequel (actually a third too...)

Is there a reason why Age of Wonders was suggested but none of its 2 sequels (though one looks like sort of a mission pack) were? Is it like Space Empires where the 5th is bad and 4th is good?

I suggested AoW 1 and not sequels, because AoW 1 has six differend endings (strategy game mind you!) and both sequels are linear to boot. I guess you can try the never ones, there are alot of total conversions for Shadow Magic, LOTR one beign the best.

As for space empires. Number 5 looks much better for sure, but in my opinion they ruined the interface and research is greatly unbalanced.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 09:01:24 am »

I have to say unlike most I liked both SE IV and SE V, as they both do different parts well. Definitely pick up one or both if you are into 4x games.

For other laid back games, Eufloria, any of the Civilization series, Disciples II, Total War series.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 11:30:29 am »

I have to also recommend X-com 1-2. I've always found them relaxing in that you can take your time (turn based). I'm a great fan of TBS.

Maybe try Age of Wonders 1.
Pages: 1 [2] 3