Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Looking for nice slow games  (Read 3178 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for nice slow games
« on: February 10, 2011, 05:17:02 pm »

So right now I am looking into a nice slow game I can sink my time into. (kinda sad Dungeons wasn't one of them)

Hopefully a simulation or turn based strategy.

Know any?

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for nice slow games
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 05:19:20 pm »

Define slow.

Turn based strategy-wise i would recommend Age of Wonders, Hearts of Iron (second part was the best in my opinion.) or.. Hell.. The slowest will be Space Empires, part IV was awesome in my opinion. If you decide to buy the last one, make sure to download mods like TDM and FQM. SICK amount of micromanagement, but also insane amount of options. A sandbox amongst sandbox 4x games

There is also Dominions 3, but iirc it's STILL terribly overpriced and thus i have a hard time recommending it

Regards
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:22:32 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:21:13 pm »

Rune Factory 3 for the DS is pretty slow paced!  Its an Fantasy RPG/Farming game.  Not terribly exciting though.  :)

Any of the Sid Meyers Civilization games are good slow time sinks as well.

Europa Univeralis(sp?) is probably a good strategy game that you might like, but I couldn't get interested in it. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 05:22:26 pm »

I've been playing a lot of Space Empires IV lately and have been loving it.  It's definitely become my favorite TBS Space game.  There's an amazing amount of depth and customization where just about every aspect can be modded.

It definitely qualifies as a time sink, as you can spend weeks on a single player small map, micromanaging every aspect of your empire.

I'm hosting a game that is about to start right now, in fact.  I still need one more player.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:17 pm »

Define slow

Relaxed pace

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:35 pm »

EU3? You can set how fast the game goes pretty well from mind numbingly slow to extremely fast and pause it at any time.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:24:03 pm »

X-Com. At least the first 3.

If you've not played them yet, the first two Fallouts, and possibly Tactics.

Otherwise, only other thing that comes to mind right now is Titans of Steel: Warring Suns, which is pretty fun.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 05:24:52 pm »

Define slow

Relaxed pace

Well then, my list remains unchanged. Depending on how much micromanagement you want, SE4 is the most complex one, AoW the least complex (or rather not at all)

What also comes to mind is X-com, but only the first part. Part two only after you beat 1st one and want something more challenging, Part 3 was disaster.
Speaking of X-com.. Jagged Alliance 2 is a very solid pick if you like these games

edit : All this talk about SE4.. I'll install it again.. See you in a few days!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:28:15 pm by Stworca »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 05:28:19 pm »

I am kinda off put by how ugly some aspects of Space Empires 4 is. (Why are humans so ugly?)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 05:30:00 pm »

I am kinda off put by how ugly some aspects of Space Empires 4 is. (Why are humans so ugly?)

Ah yes, the terrible, square graphics  ;) Well, but we ARE all playing Dwarf Fortress, ain't we?

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 05:31:27 pm »

Grab the "better portrait pack" mod by kwayne.  It greatly improves the pictures.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Also, make sure to get Fyron's Quadrant Mod (or a mod that includes it).  It adds hundreds of new images for greater diversity of planets, suns, moons, and other space bodies.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:34:02 pm by GaelicVigil »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 05:33:27 pm »

Sins of a solar empire is somewhat slow paced for an RTS, and you really don't do much micromanaging since most combat stuff can be put on auto, then you just point your doomfleet to where the enemy is holding his doomfleet and watch the fireworks go off :D
Also Sim City 4 is relaxing when you aren't piled upon by problems and fires and whatnots :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 05:34:40 pm »

I am checking a Letsplay of Space Empires 4 (which is surprisingly better reviewed then 5) and so far some of it is neat... but the person playing it is taking forever to seemingly do anything.

It is cheap though.

I don't know what parts of the game the Letsplayer is just making up, and what part is the actual game. Because right now he is looking at the government which are represented as an actual unit.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:36:49 pm by Neonivek »

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 05:35:11 pm »

Grab the "better portrait pack" mod by kwayne.  It greatly improves the pictures.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's this :
Kwayne's SEIV Stock Portrait Pack v1.2

And i never seen this before..  :o

Edit : LP of SE4 would take far too long, so i doubt you'll find anything usefull in it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:37:55 pm by Stworca »

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 05:37:15 pm »

Define slow

Relaxed pace

Well then, my list remains unchanged. Depending on how much micromanagement you want, SE4 is the most complex one, AoW the least complex (or rather not at all)

I wouldn't even call SE4 complex.  I'd say that it is really deep, has a lot of freedom/customization, but it's not complex in a MOO3 sort of way (where you have no idea what half the options even do).  An average player will be able to pick up the game after playing an hour or two.
Pages: [1] 2 3