Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can someone give me a few starting tips?  (Read 1245 times)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can someone give me a few starting tips?
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:34:54 pm »

I've looked all over the wiki and read most of the pages but I still can't survive past the first night/fight in adventure mode.

I have no idea how I should allocate my points when creating a character. I tried in Strength/Agility and then Spear/Dodge/Shield/Fighter (this is with a demigod btw). I spawned near a house, got a few quests, used the map to travel but didn't make it to a quest before getting my ass kicked by the monsters of the night. Other times I make it to a quest and the thing there kills me after a small struggle (I get a few hits in but often I lose my weapon as it gets lodged in a wound).

I also have no idea how to find more food/water, how/when to eat/drink/sleep. This modes all a little overwhelming.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone give me a few starting tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:53:20 pm »

I've looked all over the wiki and read most of the pages but I still can't survive past the first night/fight in adventure mode.

I have no idea how I should allocate my points when creating a character. I tried in Strength/Agility and then Spear/Dodge/Shield/Fighter (this is with a demigod btw). I spawned near a house, got a few quests, used the map to travel but didn't make it to a quest before getting my ass kicked by the monsters of the night. Other times I make it to a quest and the thing there kills me after a small struggle (I get a few hits in but often I lose my weapon as it gets lodged in a wound).

I also have no idea how to find more food/water, how/when to eat/drink/sleep. This modes all a little overwhelming.

You don't need to eat or drink in this version, but you did in past versions and you will in future versions.  You need to sleep approximately 8 hours out of every 24, but the only penalty is the "drowsy" status and a speed penalty.

Do not travel at night until you are at least "High Master" in several skills.  Bogeymen have extremely high dodge and striking skills, so you're not likely to be able to kill them with a fresh adventurer.  Make sure that you make it to a hamlet before dark, and sleep inside the houses.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:01:34 pm »

How do I sleep, how do I find a hamlet? The world map looks very confusing. I'm using the phoebus graphics pack if that matters.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 05:34:38 pm »

How do I sleep, how do I find a hamlet? The world map looks very confusing. I'm using the phoebus graphics pack if that matters.

You sleep by pressing shift-Z and choosing "sleep".  I don't know what hamlets look like using that graphics pack, but they're collections of white rectangles in the default one.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 06:44:08 pm »

Put as many points into toughness, recuperance, agility as possible. Strength will go up on its own.
Spam lots of points into a single weapon, put some in fighter,shield,armor, and swimming. Always put points in swimming.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 07:54:40 pm »

Your world-class Minotaur-slaying adventurer still has a chance of being kicked in the head by a donkey, so never get too comfortable or take big chances. Bogeymen won't attack you if you have companions. My advice for training is to wander the wilderness and fight animals. The ones that ambush you, that is. Oh, and never choose spear as your weapon.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:29:02 pm »

Never sleep in the wilderness.

Never underestimate the power of goats Anything!.

Always carry a backup weapon.

If you want to travel at night, hire some peasants. They're stronger than you might think.

If push comes to shove, disembowelment is always an easy/quick death.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 05:35:56 pm »

If it has hooves, fear it. Keep a healthy supply of meatshields companions. Octo-wield shields and a couple weapons. Throwing is OP, use it.

charcharmunro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:20:23 pm »

And, once you're strong enough, aim for a head of a Bogeyman/Night Creature/Something that doesn't breathe, hope to tear the upper spine's nervous tissue, grab throat, strangle forever, laugh at their feeble attempts to push you.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 10:11:42 pm »

Give yourself lots of Social Awareness if you want alot of followers.
The rest are exactly what they claim to be, and if anything, put a point in all of them if your too lazy to think through it
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.