Poll

What do we do?

Abandon and Reclaim
Tough it out
Abandon and start a new community fortress elsewhere
I don't know, I just like answering polls
Bacon

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Community Fortress - Here thar be dinosaurs!  (Read 3583 times)

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
Re: Community Fortress - Here thar be dinosaurs!
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 05:48:53 pm »

Granite 4
Today I personally gave Deviled a pair of War Velociraptors.  I think he nearly died from happiness right there.

Granite 19
Today I ordered the digging out of a crypt and a hospital.  I don;t like to think about it but I think we might be needing both in the coming year...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Granite 22
A couple redstripe wasps are just hovering over the ocean to the south, watching us, one of them has a small injurary from on of Muldoon's hunts.  I asked him to go finish them off but he said his crossbow can't reach that far.  This doesn't bode well for us.

Slate 1
I was on the surface witha couple of the baby velociraptors today when I head someone start screaming.  WHen I looked up I saw a large band of migrants and one of them was just poiting at the raptors and screaming.  It took me nearly an hour to calm him down but after I did he told me his name was Azuram, turns out he's terrified of the raptors.  I didn't ahve the heart to tell him that we had well over a dozen of them around the fortress.  It turns out the caravan had reached the mountainhomes safely and this group had decided to make the trek out here to try and make a living, I say they're nuts but more hands never hurt.  The other migrants were Zulgar the engraver, Sakzul the cheese maker, Feb the woodcutter, shorast the seige operator, Doren the bonecarver, Ingish the miller, Zefon the ranger, Sodol the Tanner, Lobram the Herbalist, Baron Baconeer the Fleshsmith(Note to self, ask what a fleshcrafter is.  Post script: Give him room far from me.), Bomek the fisherdwarf, Urist the Animal Trainer, Likot the seige engineer, Momuz and Cerol both children, Goden the leatherworker, Likot the mechanic, Sakzul the glassmaker, Limul the threasher, and Mistem the bowyer.  Some of them will definetly prove to be useful, others not so much.

Slate 13
I was talking about the possibility of a frogman seige with Sir Kibble when he started frothing at the mouth and gibbering about the will of Queen Mab and ran off.  I'd heard about dwarves getting fits like this but had never seen one before.  Oh well, I'm sure it will turn out okay.

Felsite 2
Sir Kibble finally started making his masterpiece, he kept telling us he needed rock bars.  Took me a while to figure out he actually meant METAL bars.  Those fey may know how to make fancy things but they can't communicate very well.

Felsite 7
Sir Kibble finished his masterpeice, Lolummeng, "woodlashes" the tetrahedrite harp.  Beautiful instrument, not very useful but beautiful nonetheless.

Felsite 16
Elves have showed up to trade with us!  No doubt they'll make shot jokes and complain about our loggin industry well I won't have any of it!

Felsite 17
A thief attacked Zuntir today and stabbed him in the hand and foot.  He should recover without any problems though...
THREE MORE THIEVES!  Three more skulking bastards showed up today!  We've barely had any trouble with them and now they all show up at once, it's the elves, it has to be...

Felsite 18
Disaster... I was stupid, impatient, I underestimated the ocean and it has taken almost everything!  I tried to open the canal to the irrigation pods more so it wouldn't take all year to fill up and.... and....  dear armok.

Felsite 20
I've been trapped here for two days... Not sure how long I can last.  I've been thinking it over, when the miner opened the door to get away from the water too much must have followed him through, I underestimated the water pressure it's all my fault!  ALL MY FAULT!

13 Malachite
WHY!  WHy did it happen!  I'm a genius I don't deserve this!  WHY WHY WHY!?!?!?!?!?!  I'LL KILL YOU ALL I'LL TEAR YOU APART WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME? WHY?!?!?!?

16 Malachite
So weak, I can barely stay awake... I hope the others are alright... I hope they can get a pick to get to safety... I hope... I...

So end the notes of Rentorian, The Architect.

Okay right now we got 10 dwarves on the surface witha  caravans worth of stolen elf crap.  They can survive for a while, there are logs on the surface they can use to make an axe, plants to gather for food and to make booze.  The real problem is all the miners are dead and their picks are underwater.  The main problem is that there are 14 dwarves downstairs, most of them are trapped in the food storeroom, meaning that we'll be at the point where we can be seiged and we'll only have 10 dwarves and a few animals to hold off invaders, things are looking REALLY bad.  Sir Kibble is the only named dwarf that isn't trapped underground, the others are a thresher, a miller, a glassmaker, the broker, two mechanics, a farmer, an herbalist, and a bonecarver.  It is now midsummer, what do you think we should do now?  Answer via the poll up top when I figure out how to get it running.

Quick Edit:
The dinosaur raws can be found here.  I'll also add them to the original post.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:57:18 pm by Rentorian »
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 06:11:38 pm »

this will be fun  :o

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 08:09:52 pm »

Muldoon's going to get cabin fever, that much I can tell you.

I say tuff it out.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 08:14:32 pm »

Tough it out! Also, Bacon. Mmmm... bacon...

Seriously though, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to get another pick made to dig out the survivors. Erm, I hope. :D
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 02:10:55 am »

Boy, I do wonder what to vote on the poll.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 09:29:11 am »

Poor Sir Kibble, stay strong, you'll get over this.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 09:32:31 am »

Onwards dear sir!
if all else fails, earlyer save. :)
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Derp Sandvich

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes paperclips for their attachments ಥ‿ಥ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 12:10:45 pm »

At least Kibble was able to create an artifact before things started to go downhill.  :P
Maybe we can fight it out, if it doesn't work, we can always start anew.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:14:43 pm by Derp Sandvich »
"He's blind, but he was still able to find the way to the hospital, he vomits, and his lungs are going numb. So what? I don't get why you always want a diagnosis even though they're all doomed. Even a kitten can see it. He got sprayed by a monster's bodily fluids, that should be enough diagnosis. There, he has lupus. Happy? He's going to die. Like everyone else. I know it because I'm better than all of you, because I know how to use a goddamn crutch. Where the hell did you put the sunshine?" ಠ_ಠ

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 12:16:51 pm »

Looks like toughin' it out wins.  Hopefully we'll be able to survive long enough to get a pick.  Wish me luck!

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 01:41:04 pm »

Good luck fine sir!

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 02:27:55 pm »

Here are the highlights of what happened up to mid autumn.  Sieges, two of them, not at once but in succession.  In their wake they left one heavily bleeding dwarf, his pet war giant beetle, and a lot of corpses.  Tantrums, the people trapped in the dining room finally snapped.  Apparently losing almost all their friends, sleeping in the mud, and general dwarfiness caused tantrums, which made people die, and their pets avenged them, making MORE people die, you can probably guess how this turns out.  That leaves two insane dwarves stuck underground a hairs breadth away from killing each other (who also have pets), and one guy on the surface who isn't going to last the month.  I'm calling this a loss right here.

Now the million dollar question is should I try and do another community fortress?
If so do you want it to be near a volcano?  A river?  Or should we try for the ocean again?  I will probably go for a temperate or tropical savanna or forest just so we can be sure to get some dinos though.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 02:33:46 pm »

i would suggest, a volcano near an ocean or mountain.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 02:51:24 pm »

Oceanside volcanos are fun. And I have to join the next fort too, the writing's too good to pass - obviously as the same dwarf.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 02:53:44 pm »

same urist.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Derp Sandvich

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes paperclips for their attachments ಥ‿ಥ
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »

Also the same character for me, but we better have velociraptor pets again. Lest I throw a tantrum.
"He's blind, but he was still able to find the way to the hospital, he vomits, and his lungs are going numb. So what? I don't get why you always want a diagnosis even though they're all doomed. Even a kitten can see it. He got sprayed by a monster's bodily fluids, that should be enough diagnosis. There, he has lupus. Happy? He's going to die. Like everyone else. I know it because I'm better than all of you, because I know how to use a goddamn crutch. Where the hell did you put the sunshine?" ಠ_ಠ
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4