Poll

What do we do?

Abandon and Reclaim
Tough it out
Abandon and start a new community fortress elsewhere
I don't know, I just like answering polls
Bacon

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Community Fortress - Here thar be dinosaurs!  (Read 3594 times)

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
Community Fortress - Here thar be dinosaurs!
« on: February 10, 2011, 02:50:00 pm »

I was bored waiting for my next class to start today so I figured why not start a community fortress!

Pointless made up back story:
250 years ago the humans discovered a new continent and surrounding islands far to the west.  Since then the elves, humans, and dwarves have sent colonists to this new strange world.  Today there is only one small dwarven colony that has managed to survive on this harsh new land.  In the interests of expanding the dwarven foothold they have started sending out groups of dwarves to establish new outposts and prove that their efforts were not in vain.

List o' mods:
Fortress Defense(Challenge Mode)
Savage creatures taken from Flora and Fauna
A couple (savage) creatures taken from Civilization Forge
Dinosaurs modified by me to fit the new version and a couple more added(most likely poorly)
General replacement of PET_EXOTIC with PET

The updated dinosaur raws can be downloaded here.

Fort Location:

The forest that we'll be embarking on is savage temperate conifer, has dolomite, and no aquifer layer.  If I did the dinosaur modifications right we should be seeing all sorts of scaly beasts.

Current Dwarves:
1) Rentorian "The Architect" : Mason/Architect
2) DevilEd "Secret ninja, don't tell": Miner/swordsman
3) Muldoon "Game Warden : Skilled Ambusher / Adequate Hammerman+Wrestler+Crossbowman
4) billybobfred "Stuff Tracking Guy Person" : Bookkeeping
5) Theo "Maker of Liquid Gold" : Brewer/Negotiator
6) Extol "Supertiner" : Mechanic/mason
7) Uber Pye ""Animal Freedom Fighter" : wood cutter/carpenter/animal trainer

If you want to be dorfed leave a reply with a similar format:
Name:
Skills:
Job Title:
Personality:
Items you need:

I'll be posting plenty of fluff whenever something happens but feel free to add fluff of your own if you feel like it!
Also if anyone wants to nominate a name for the fort or the group go right ahead and let me know.  Right now I'm leaning towards MigrurKerlig, or Oceanshells.  No ideas on the group name though.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:58:20 pm by Rentorian »
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
Re: Community Fortress - Here thar be dinosaurs!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:18:51 pm »

Name:DevilEd
Skills:Miner/swordsman
Job Title:Secret ninja, don't tell
Personality:Wants to have a pet dinosaur
Items you need:sword, pick.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:20:45 pm »

Name: Muldoon
Skills:  Skilled Ambusher / Adequate Hammerman+Wrestler+Crossbowman
Job Title: Game Warden
Personality: Keeps to himself. Spends a lot of time aboveground putting down dangerous animals as well as stopping reckless drunken attacks on animals by the military and such. Possibly has a cabin or camp on the surface.
Items you need: He should come with most of the gear he needs, so just a hunting dog. Extra crossbow bolts maybe?
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:06:11 pm »

Name: billybobfred
Skills: Bookkeepering
Job Title: Stuff Tracking Guy Person
Personality: Obsessed with useless details. Likes cats for their adorableness. Favorite metal is electrum.
Items you need: Uh, an office i guess?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:43:57 pm »

Okay, you three are in the list.  Not sure if I'll be able to get you liking electum and kittens though billybobfred, you might have to settle for an unofficial obsession with those things.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:40:14 pm »

That's fine, of course. o.o
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:20:51 pm »

Name: Theo
Skills: Brewer / Negotiater
Job Title: Maker of Liquid Gold
Personality: Loud, Brash, Loves to tell tall tales, Shrewd negotiater, Loves Gold and is secretly trying to figure out a way to make liquid gold drinkable.
Items you need: Brewery, Lots of Barrels, Plant seeds.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »

Name: Extol
Skills: Mechanic/Mason
Job Title: Supertinker
Personality: Likes platinum and black bronze. Enjoys drinking whip wine, eating whip vine flour roasts.
Needs: Stones

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:53:22 pm »

Any reson my job titles not listed on the person list.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 07:59:44 pm »

Any reson my job titles not listed on the person list.

Because I be easily distracted and don't always notice my mistakes.  I'll go fix it now.

On a side note I ran a quick test fortress in similar surroundings, savage temperate coniferous forest, and ran into sugar beetles, spike beetles, comsognathus, dicynodonts, pteradons, mastadons, and two rather large packs of velociraptors.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 08:09:28 pm »

Name:uber pye
Skills:wood cutter/carpenter/animal trainer
Job Title:animal freedom fighter
Personality:hate all things elf-like, beleves the animal trade is the slave trade
Items you need:axe

"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanshells Community Fortress - Here thar be dinosaurs!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 09:31:43 pm »

Sometime late winter, Mountainhomes of the Jade Bust

Rentorian strode confidently into the throne room, it had been two years since King Plankstirs had thrown him into the dungeon for the cave-in that had flattened his favorite cat and his sentence was almost finally up and he had been called for a private audience with the king.

"You summoned me Plank...  You aren't King Plankstirs."  Rentorian said as he noticed that someone new sat on the throne.
"You have been... out of touch with politics for some time, so I will forgive that slight.  I am Risen Claspeddwellers, the new king."
the dwarf sitting on the throne said sharply.
"Ah, no disrespect meant sire...  but what happened to Plankstirs?"  Rentorian said hesitantly.
Claspeddwellers simply stared at Rentorian for several seconds.
"Wait?  Killed by invaders?  Another one?  How long has it been since a ruler managed to survive for more than a year?!  I mean honestly-"  Rentorian quickly cut himself off when he noticed the look on Claspeddwellers face.
"N-not that I expect your reign to be ended so abruptly your majesty!  Long live the king and all that."  Rentorian added quickly.
"Yes I'm well aware of the perils of leadership and have decided that it may have to do with the fact that we have a negligible presence outside our mountainhome.  In response I have decided to send out a dozen colonization teams, you will be in charge of one of them.  Dismissed."  Claspeddwellers said, a savage glint in his eye.
"But-"
"Dis.  Missed.  Rentorian."
"Y-yes sire."
As Rentorian slowly made his way to the entrance to the fort he looked over the manifest he had been given, the warves he was going to be working with seemed a solid lot, if a bit eccentric.  And there had been plenty of booze stocked on the wagon, some dogs had been brought along as well as some weapons.  All in all things could be worse he though to himself as entered the forts massive antechamber.  He was suddenly awestruck by the wagon taking up the middle of the fort, it was laden with several years supply of meat and drink.  He thought he could see some steel weapons poking out of the top, and it was pulled by two large elephants and there were several war spinosaurs surrounding it as an honor guard.  It was bliss!
"Alright, you're ready to go Urist!" a voice shouted, and with the cracking of a whip the massive wagon trundled away revealing a much smaller, shoddy wagon, surrounded by seven dwarfs and the dogs he had read about in the manifest.
I wonder if it's too late to go back to that nice little prison cell? he though sullenly.  "There ya are!" thundered a voice, Rentorian turned to see the Hammerer standing nearby, "Well what are ya waitin' for?  Get over there and get a move on!  Unless ya want to serve out the rest of yer sentence."  He said with a chuckle, hefting his massive silver warhammer as he spoke.  "Right, just admiring the scenery!  On my way!"  and Rentorian took off at a sprint towards the wagon, shouting at the dwarves nearby to get it ready so we could get the hell out of here!

Thus began the story of Oceanshells!

I'll actually embark and start playing tomorrow, it's gettin' late over here (late for me anyway, friggen' annoying sleep schedule) and DF is being difficult right now and froze up when I tried to embark, and I didn't save the embark profile, go me.   Also, when I loaded up legends mode and checked out our civ's history (it's the only remaining dwarven civ by the way) I found that for as far back as I bothered to check, ~50 years we've had a new king or queen every year without fail.  something about that position just ain't good for people's health.  'Night!

RandAnima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 05:44:47 am »

I'd like in.

Name: Random
Skill: Engraver
Title: Fort Historian
Personality: anti-social, likes velocoraptors.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 08:34:49 am »

Im up for joinning.

Name: Karakzon
Skills: Put me in the millatery -melle preferd- or have me mining/mason. eathers good.
Job Title: Sir
Personality: think classical knight but dwarf life. Also: willing to throw kittens into lava for the funny side of it. Any other ecentric freekyness youde like to throw in.
Rooms you need: 5x5 room with armour stand and weapon rack. -bed room or whot not-
No pets. ever. if cats, kill it.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:04 am »

Early Spring
"We've been traveling for months now, how much long until we get to wherever we're going?" Extol grumbled sourly, as Rentorian turned around to reply there was a sharp crack and the wheels of the wagon snapped in two, landing the wagon on the beach with a  heavy thud.  "we're here."  Rentorian declared shakily, "Just like I planned, honest!"
"Sure, sure, an' the godmetal will come rainin' from tha sky."  Muldoon grumbled, climbing a sand dune with Uber Pye to try and figure out what kind of place we had been stranded in.  "Looks good, plenty of trees for beds and pissing of elves, OH I see some mastodons over there!  Aren't they.... they.... what is that?"  Pye said slowly pointing at the horizon.
"By Armok" Muldoon gasped as he noticed what Pye had seen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"There's another one over there!" DevilEd shouted pointing over to the west.
"What do you say to that Muldoon?"  Rentorian panted out as he reached the top of the dune to see what everyone was so excited about. "Bah, still ain't rainin' the stuff.  And ain't those things supposed to have demons in 'em?"
"Well they're already uncapped so I'd say any demons that were down there have already left"  Billybobfred said happily.  "Alright then!"  Rentorian cried out joyfully, "Let's strike the earth!".
Personal Notes of Rentorian, Architect of Oceanshells.
After the discovery of the godmetal we went back down to the beach, we're far enough back to be away from the waves and once we put up some walls this place will be easily defended.
The initial plans for the entryway include a place for the trade depot as well as an alcove to place a ballista we can use to repel anyone who tries to invade us, or give us a bad deal while trading.  Every little bit helps when dealing with merchants after all.

Sometime mid-spring
Apologies for not keeping track of the days but they seem to be flying past recently.  We finished the first apartment block and each of us have been assigned our rooms, they're small but we each have our own bed, cabinet, and doors.  After things have stabilized here I'll see to making more spacious rooms for the more worthy dwarves.
---------------------------------
Today DevilEd noticed a large herd of stegosauruses... stegasauri? whatever.  In any case he noticed a large herd of dinosaurs roaming around above ground.  They're massive beasts, and thier piked tails look quite dangerous.  He was quite intent on having one as a pet but we haven't set up any cage traps yet so he'd have to bring in a wild one with his bare hands.  When I told him that he got halfway there before I caught up with him and told him it was a joke.  I'll have to watch what I say around him.

Late Spring
Things have been running smoothly, our food stocks have been moved mostly indoors, the dining room and barracks are almost in full working order, what parts of them we've actually dug out anyway, no sense making a massive dining room for only seven of us eh?
We also finished the construction of our first two dedicated crafting areas.  Each one has a stockpile below it with the materials a dwarf will need to pursue his craft.
We currently just have stone and woodworking wings set up but more will be made in time.
-------------------------------------------------
In the last few days of spring DevilEd notcied a rather large herd of velociraptors porwling around outside.  I'm personally terrified of the things, too smart fort an over-sized lizard if you ask me, but he is set on making one of them him.  Maybe he'll get lucky and one of them will be caught in our cage traps, good luck convincing Uber Pye to tame it for him though. 

That's all for spring.  When I saw the adamantine pipes my first thought was AWESOME!  A close second was, "Wait, I can see the tunnel to hell in those things."  Luckily the demons are asleep or something.  Nothing much really happened over the spring though.  Mostly it was just me setting up the first frameworks of our base and making sure that things went smoothly.  Summer will be going up either today or tomorrow depending on how distracted I get by other things.
Also Karakzon and RandAnima you'll be dorfed either as soon as we get dorfs with the skills you want, or more likely dorfs that have useless skills that I'll repurpose to have the skills you want.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4