Poll

What do we do?

Abandon and Reclaim
Tough it out
Abandon and start a new community fortress elsewhere
I don't know, I just like answering polls
Bacon

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Community Fortress - Here thar be dinosaurs!  (Read 3590 times)

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
Re: Community Fortress - Here thar be dinosaurs!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 10:55:57 am »

Name: Kazak
Skills:axe, grower, wrestling
Job Title: guardian
Personality:Werner the crazy big game hunter.
needed: well an axe?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Derp Sandvich

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes paperclips for their attachments ಥ‿ಥ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 11:05:32 am »

It's been a while since I've been on the forums.

Name: Sir Kibble
Skills: Swordsman, stone crafter, mason
Job Title: Cutter Knight
Personality: Chivalrous and brave, will sacrifice himself to save his friends from the dinosaur menace.
Items: Sword & shield

If we had mounts implemented, I would want one of those velociraptors as my steed and name it Yoshi. :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:04:34 pm by Derp Sandvich »
"He's blind, but he was still able to find the way to the hospital, he vomits, and his lungs are going numb. So what? I don't get why you always want a diagnosis even though they're all doomed. Even a kitten can see it. He got sprayed by a monster's bodily fluids, that should be enough diagnosis. There, he has lupus. Happy? He's going to die. Like everyone else. I know it because I'm better than all of you, because I know how to use a goddamn crutch. Where the hell did you put the sunshine?" ಠ_ಠ

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 11:16:27 am »

Personal Notes of Rentorian, Architect of Oceanshells.

1 hematite
Muldoon has bee bugging me about making a small cabin up on the surface for him, says it'll give him somewhere to rest when hunting.  I don't understand why he'd want to live on the surface but he's been an asset to our outpost so why not?

10 hematite
I've had our miners start digging out the farm blocks.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know some fortresses are happy with just carving out a large farming area and flooding the whole thing but dammit I'm an Architect and a dwarf!  I don't do simple and easy!

16 Hematite
Today our cage traps finally bore fruit!  We've managed to catch several velociraptors.  When I told this to DevilEd he took off at a dead run for the cage traps.  He came back a minute later after the captured raptors friends chased him away from the cage. It might be a while before we can actually recover our prizes.

1 Galena
Muldoon's cabin is finished.  It isn't big but it has a bed, cabinet, table, and chair .  I figure that if Muldoon is going to stay on the surface he should at least live comfortably.  Also we caught what I've been told are Red-Stripe wasps.  All I know is that they are very big and look very dangerous.  They've been added to the list of animals to be tamed.

2 galena
A group of Migrants arrived today!  They were Random the historian, Ducim the Ranger, Sir Karakzon, Endok the Weaponsmith, Vabok the Fisherdwarf, Monom the Farmer, Rovod the Butcher, Kazak the Guardian, and Zulban the Brewer.  I was asleep when they showed up and woke up to find Sir Karakzon introducing himself and demanding a room larger than what we've been making.  I told him I'd look into it but for now he'll have to settle for a standard room.  I managed to get everyone working pretty fast, this many more people will really help keep our fortress growing strong. When I asked hem why they came to our outpost they got real quiet and sort of just shuffled around a bit until Karakzon spoke up.  "We were part of Urist's expedition.  He decided to stop us in the middle of a zombie infested wasteland.  We didn't last the season, everyone who survived ran, we're not sure how many of us survived or where any other survivors are."  We all got sort of quiet, after all the largest and most prepared expedition had already been destroyed, sure it wasn't it an advisable location but they had the best of the best!  What can we do?  Things were sort of... subdued after my meeting with the migrants.

18 galena
Apparently raptor training has been going pretty smoothly, to be honest I hadn't really been paying attention to it until I saw a pack of the suckers run right into out camp towards everyone on break.  I ran outside of the fort brandishing my pick before I noticed that they weren't attacking anyone and the DevilEd was petting one of them.  I should pay more attention to these sorts of things in the future.

24 galena
A kobold thief almost got into the fort today.  By almost I mean it got noticed by the dogs and raptors.  He managed to stab two of the dogs, but when the raptors entered the fray he was torn to shreds, I'm glad they're on our side.

21 Sandstone
Pye finally got around to training Muldoon's hunting dog.  I'm not sure how Muldoon convince Pye but it will definitely help Muldoon in his hunts.  Also I jsut realized that although in dwarven out fortresses name means Ocean Shells, you can easily read it in common as Oceans Hells.  I don't think I should mention this to anyone.

27 Sandstone
I was on break today when more migrants showed up!  They were Sir Kibble the Cutter Knight, Zuntir the Woodcutter, and Ducim the Peasant.  Since the farms aren't up yet I had Ducim start working on gathering plants, out booze stocks aren't looking their best anymore and any brewable plants are better than none.

17 Timber
The trade caravan from the mountainhomes arrived today!  Apparently they had some trouble finding us, the map the king had given them was apparently pretty inaccurate.  Unfortunately they didn't bring as much food and booze as I would have liked, or rather they brought about 25 things of meat, 5 plump helmets, 10 fish, and one barrel of booze.  Then since they couldn't carry all the crafts we had traded to them on account of their wagon being full of bins of leather and silk we also took a cow.  I am VERY disappointed in them, who brings ten bins of fine silk and leather to such a young outpost!  Outposts this young NEVER need that much silk and leather, they need FOOD and BEER!

14 Opal
We finished a high quality room block today, Sir Karakzon was put into his room as soon as the furniture was ready.  Good thing too, he had been getting more irate everyday.

16 Opal
Theo the Brewer had a meeting with the liaison today, he made sure to forward my requests for the next caravan to bring some more fish, plump helmets, meat, and LOTS more booze.  The liaison also gave us a list of items that are in demand in the mountainhomes, I'm not sure how he can accurately figure out what they're going to want so much that they'll pay double for some of things for a year in advance but since rings and crowns were on the list at almost double price I'm not complaining.

25 opal
The irrigation system is in place above the farming blocks now.  When the floodgates at the entrance of each pod closes it contains enough water to muddy the underlying farmland without there being so much that it takes forever to evaporate.  Now we just have to dig a tunnel of to the water and fill them up!

17 obsidian
Today could be the best or worst day in our outposts history.  Today we trained our first war velociraptor.  They already tore a kobobld apart before being trained for war so I'm not too sure it's a safe idea to make them better at killing things.  Although the benefits of being able to have such monsters fight side by side with our military is too good to pass up.  I can only hope they don't turn on us.

That was the last thing of note that happened in the first year.  Looking at the entry I made for it it looks more than a little but ominous.  Fort's still alive though but we'll be ready for the inevitable sieges to come.  Well the ones with stranglers, tigermen, and frogmen anyway.  Also my younger brother came up from IU bloomington yesterday which is why I didn't manage to post this last night despite finishing the year yesterday.  He'll be here for the weekend so the next update might not be until Monday.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 11:34:15 am »

A quick thing about my guys personality is he's a secret ninja and is terrible at hiding it.

Derp Sandvich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 01:48:52 pm »

24 galena
A kobold thief almost got into the fort today.  By almost I mean it got noticed by the dogs and raptors.  He managed to stab two of the dogs, but when the raptors entered the fray he was torn to shreds, I'm glad they're on our side.

17 obsidian
Today could be the best or worst day in our outposts history.  Today we trained our first war velociraptor.  They already tore a kobobld apart before being trained for war so I'm not too sure it's a safe idea to make them better at killing things.  Although the benefits of being able to have such monsters fight side by side with our military is too good to pass up.  I can only hope they don't turn on us.

Clever girl.
"He's blind, but he was still able to find the way to the hospital, he vomits, and his lungs are going numb. So what? I don't get why you always want a diagnosis even though they're all doomed. Even a kitten can see it. He got sprayed by a monster's bodily fluids, that should be enough diagnosis. There, he has lupus. Happy? He's going to die. Like everyone else. I know it because I'm better than all of you, because I know how to use a goddamn crutch. Where the hell did you put the sunshine?" ಠ_ಠ

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 01:56:01 pm »

24 galena

17 obsidian

Clever girl.
That's my line!
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 02:56:41 pm »

Karakzon is pleased, he admired a knightly room lately.

Thank you Rentorian, you are turely a leader of the dwarves!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:26:15 pm by Karakzon »
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Derp Sandvich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 05:07:28 pm »

I can't wait to introduce our velociraptors to our goblin "friends".

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 08:44:43 pm »

MUHAHAHAHA GO MY RAPTOR FRIENDS SLAY ALL WHO APPOSE US!!
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »

YAY PET RAPTOR

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 11:56:10 am »

Name: Azurum
Skills: Any kind of smith really, be it weapon-smith or armor-smith.
Job Title: Blacksmith
Personality: Scared shitless of them raptors.

This seems interesting. Heh.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:01:23 pm by Dbuhos »

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 02:54:39 pm »

A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 03:51:44 pm »

I don't think anyone knows what Muldoon is a direct reference to... :p
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Baron Baconeer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:horrifying features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 04:46:27 pm »

Name: Baron Baconeer
Skills: Doctor or a butcher. Preferably both.
Job title: Fleshsmith
Personality. Enjoys blood, excessive violence, blood, dinosaurs and blood. Runs around with a mad grin and makes mittens out of kittens.
Yes, mother ****ing walruses stormed in through my well room, fatally gored my expedition leader, and danced off into the frosty tundra to sing happy walrus songs about oysters.

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 05:07:23 pm »

Is there any chance you could post the raws for these updated dinosaurs?
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4