Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: King of the Beasts Tournament  (Read 3393 times)

thplonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
King of the Beasts Tournament
« on: February 10, 2011, 02:29:31 pm »

Hello, I'm Urist McPhilosopher. It's my job to think deeply so that other dwarves don't have to. To answer the important questions. Do goblins have souls? What are the metaphysical implications of olivine? Which is the King of the Beasts? Ahhhh! Now that one IS a problem, no mistake.

The world is full of wondrous and confusing animals, and sometimes one finds oneself wondering who would win in a fight - an opah or a shad? What IS an opah? Can I eat it? Will it eat me? I just don't know.

To answer these questions - and many others like them, I have organized one hundred and fifty eight creatures into four leagues, and each league into a number of divisions. Each animal shall fight in a team according to the maximum herd, pack, flock, or school found in nature, in a division organized loosely according to animal traits decided by me. Which is strongest of each type? Which is strongest of all?

Come on a magical imaginary adventure to the arena of the mind! We're off to find the king of the beasts!

HERBIVORE LEAGUE
 - Grazing Division
- Monkey Division
 - Ape Division     

- Gibbon Special Division
 - Primate Division

PREDATOR LEAGUE
 - Hunter Division
 - Feline Division
 - River Special Division

FANTASTIC LEAGUE
 - X Men Division
 - Beast Men Division
 - Mega and SemiMega Division
 - Cavern Division
 - Hill and Dale Division

AQUATIC LEAGUE
 - Shark Division
 - School Division
 - Lonerfish Division
 - Unusual Special Division

First Matches to commence shortly.

STATUS
HERBIVORE

HERBIVORE, Grazing Division
Failed to Qualify:
  Deer, Donkey, Gazelle, Mule, Mountain Goat, Two-humped Camel, Groundhog

Knocked out of Semifinals:
  Muskox, One-humped Camel, Warthog, Marmot

Finals:
  Horse - 3rd place
  Cow - 2nd place
  Elephant, Prince of the Plains

HERBIVORE, Gibbon Cage Match
In order of elimination: white-handed, grey, and silvery gibbons, bilous, black-crested, white-browed, and black-handed gibbons.

Winner: the Great Pileated Gibbon

Currently:
HERBIVORE LEAGUE Primate Division
Qualifying Matches
  Announcers
    Urist McPhilosopher
    "Strikes" Pleatedblossom, Mason

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:06:47 pm by thplonk »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Beasts Tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 02:44:54 pm »

Where do Dwarves fit?  Megabeasts, right?  When conducting this test, consider that dwarves naturally in groups of ~70

thplonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:30:18 pm »

Where do Dwarves fit?  Megabeasts, right?  When conducting this test, consider that dwarves naturally in groups of ~70

An excellent question. The purpose of this tournament is to determine the King of the Beasts, and as such dwarves, elves, kobolds, and goblins are all disqualified. But don't be discouraged! We plan to have special matches between the winners of each division and the Peasant, Soldier, and Zombie teams.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:47:02 pm »

An excellent question. The purpose of this tournament is to determine the King of the Beasts, and as such dwarves, elves, kobolds, and goblins are all disqualified. But don't be discouraged! We plan to have special matches between the winners of each division and the Peasant, Soldier, and Zombie teams.

That's no reason to disqualify the Elves, they aren't any more than beasts... (I can understand you think Goblins or even Humans to be dwarfanoids, but Elves?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:51:13 pm »

Elves don't use tools, and barely use animals.  They're fairly beastly.  Where other civilizations master fire, crafting rock, and the might of metal, elves just piddle about with the abilities nature gave them.  Quid pro que, animals.

thplonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:57:42 pm »

Hello and welcome to the KoB tournament. Today's arena segment is the long open slopes of the NW corner of the Arena of the Mind, perfect to simulate the open range where the deer and the antelope play.

And the buffalo roam?

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, but could the audience please join me in welcoming her Ladyship Imustistrath to our little cavern! Your presence makes us all feel a little closer to the Mountainhomes, your Grace.

Thank you, but we may dispense with formalities between nobles. Please call me M.J.

So, I see the pens are full to bursting with livestock. Who's fighting today, Urist?

The Grazing Division of League HERBIVORE is defined by the large herds of peaceful grazing animals who wander most of the overworld. When threatened, they usually run, fleeing the map if they suffer casualties and only fighting when absolutely necessary, though many of them are quite large and therefore dangerous.

So who is favoured?[/b]

Well, that's the thing, your La - ah, MJ. No one. They don't fight. I set up this division to demonstrate the concept of Victory through Peaceful Resolution, a most undwarvenly concept that we could all learn from. When at the end we compare the bloody chaos of the other divisions to the peace of the... sweet merciless Armok, they're KILLING EACH OTHER!

Oh.

I put some gutter cruor into their feed. I thought that it would help start things with a bang. I mean, livestock are boring, aren't they? And gutter cruor always makes ME want to hit things. Look at those cows and deer go at it!

Wow... I didn't... wow...

Are they supposed to be biting so much?

I didn't know a cow could shake a deer like that... but mostly those bulls are just kicking the skull in. Wow.

--- 7 healthy cows, 4 dead deer ---

Well, I hope the next matchup is more balanced, though I can understand getting rid of deer right from the start. They had four, but usually you get seven. But the other fights should be...

Those elephants sure are nimble, aren't they. The donkeys can't land a single kick.

--- 7 slightly bruised elephants, 7 dead donkeys ---

Watch out for those tusks! But the next matchup comes from the savannahs. Let's hear it for the Gazelles and the warthogs!

Tusk attack! Warthog tusk attack! Go for it, piggies! Go... no, don't kick them! Gore them! Gore them AAAAAALLLL!!!!

(aside) I'm starting to wonder about our fortress' leadership...

They're supposed to have tusks! Four sharp tusks - why are you just kicking those poor gazelles to death like that?

--- 7 battered warthogs, 10 dead gazelles ---

Size matters, not numbers or weapons, on these bloodsoaked plains. Next up, the gentle groundhogs take on the hoary marmot team.

Awww... they're so cute. Go Groundhogs!

Very different fighting styles from what we've seen so far MJ.

Urist, the marmots are biting my groundhogs until they bleed to death!

They bite, but they don't shake each other around like the cows did. and they aren't the blunt force machines the herd animals are, either.

--- 4 wounded hoary marmots, 4 dead groundhogs ---

And our next mismatch is four mountain goats and seven muskoxen. Urist, I think you're intentionally skewing the herd sizes.

Ah, no. They're really quite solitary. And I didn't want the legendary muskoxen disqualifying a potential contender right away.

--- 7 unscathed muskoxen, 4 splattered goats ---

A muskox can and will kick a goat's leg right off! And they shake 'em like a dog shakes a rat!

Yes... I should imagine that any animal of mismatched size that can bite would behave the same. On a completely unrelated note, muskoxen are much bigger than dwarves too.

Oh, these next two matches should be interesting. Horses vs Mules and the Bactrian Camel against the Dromedary. I think I favour the mules on this one. The expression is "kick like a mule," yes?

Are you asking me about human expressions, Urist? And mules don't travel in herds. Why are there seven?

Ah, yes. Well, for domesticated animals, I roughed up herd sizes to match the usual numbers. Later on we'll see some cats take on a jaguar, just like they did in that unfortunate Potash Maker incident.

...and we are seeing a return to usual Grazing Division tactics here.

Tactics? They're just forming a big mob and kicking each other to death!

Essentially, yes. The mules got off to an early start with a lucky head shot, but now the horses have equalized. We're seeing a little biting action, but as her ladyship says, the usual tactic is to kick until you hit the head. And now two more mules are down... mostly they just bruise each other as they maneuver for the all-important cranial takedown... all but one of the mules have died... and that's match, audience. A clear win.

And the humans are wrong again, Urist. All this thinking only distracts us from obvious common sense.

--- 2 healthy horses, 4 wounded horses, 1 dead horse, 7 dead mules ---

And now: Bactrians versus Dromedaries!

All I see are camels. This is a stupid match, Urist. A huge mass of brown, identical camels, beating each other with their feet. Two have died and I don't know which team they belong to... really the grazers are kind of boring, even hopped up on gutter cruor... But once one goes down, the others seem to follow. The two-humped camels are each being attacked by two humped camels... heh.

--- 2 healthy one-humped camels, 3 wounded one-humped camels, 2 dead one-humped camel, 7 dead two-humped camels ---

That's way too many humps, audience. But the qualifying round is over.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:04:57 pm by thplonk »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:15:36 pm »

For close fights, you may want to repeat arena testing, there's some variance in combat.  When it's 7 healthy and 4 dead, then that's a safe one to assume, but when it's close, it comes down to RNG values and needs a bit more data.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 05:26:47 pm »

For close fights, you may want to repeat arena testing, there's some variance in combat.  When it's 7 healthy and 4 dead, then that's a safe one to assume, but when it's close, it comes down to RNG values and needs a bit more data.
Try and say that at the Super-bowl. This is the same.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 05:31:14 pm »

So we're agreed that this is no feat of science or anything conclusive, just fun with arena mode

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 05:34:14 pm »

Hahaha, I can't wait till the tests with 10 giant cave spiders and/or giant desert scorpions on one side
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 06:08:36 pm »

I'm betting on the elephant.

For caverns, cave crocodile
Aquatic, hippopotamuses

thplonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 07:01:17 pm »

Well, here we are at the Grazing Semifinals. Welcome once again to our beautiful Baroness MJ!

Hi, everybody! Stop watching this stupid tournament and get to work on my bedroom! Ha, ha!

Ah, ha hah, that elegant humour we've come to love. Give her a big hand folks. And we're back on the northeast slopes for some more grazing action. With six contenders, how should we do this, MJ?

Oh, we'll match them all up, and then two of the three winners fight for the chance to take on the Elephants for the win.

Yes, it does seem like a forgone conclusion, doesn't it? Keep in mind that the Donkeys were no slouches and the Elephants took them apart. Each animal has just the one shot at becoming King, folks. After all, the gazelle never gets the chance to ask the lion for best two out of three, no. But I do think that the muskoxen are a very strong contender.

Here come the warthogs and the cows. Gore, little piggies! Tusk, tusk, tusk!

Oooh... a broken tail has one of the warthogs unconscious from pain! He's down... he's out! Another is down from a head shot. And one is being shaken like a rag, never a good sign.

NO! Piggies! Come on!

...and it's all over folks, a very one sided battle. One warthog bled to death and several cows kicked the hooves off the poor warthogs but now it's all over and the dwarven engineers are sending in the lava to sterilize the field for the next match.

--- 7 bruised cows, 7 dead warthogs ---

That was really disappointing. Now who's-

--- 7 elephants, 4 bloody smears ---

-up next, oh, never mind. Why even bother with the marmots? Oh, this next one is horses against muskoxen.

The muskox has horns and a thick hide. It's much bigger too. They're going to win! And they're off!

You're forgetting equestrian speed, MJ. The horses are much more agile too. It looks like the Horse team is the, aha, dark horse of the competition. Two muskoxen are down already. A good grazing tactic is to break the tail with an opportunity, and then smash in the skull once your opponent collapses from pain.

They're too fast! Dodge, you big oxen, or I'll have you hammered!

I'm afraid they're already hammered, your Grace. And only one of the horses is bruised. ...And now it's over.

--- 3 bruised horses, 4 healthy horses, 7 dead muskoxen ---

That was a huge surprise! Perhaps the camels will come from behind and pull down the elephants for the win.

...or maybe not. Those elephants ARE fast. In addition they only have to hit a camel once, and it's down with terrible wounds. They do not stop there, though. Oh no. Poor camels.

--- 7 elephants, 7 very dead camels ---

The cows and the horses are fighting for the chance to take on the elephants? That's... not right! I came here to see WILD animals, Urist. And my bedroom needs two cabinets! MADE OF NICKEL SILVER!

Do calm down, your Grace. They're setting up the finals as we speak.

I'm just saying that if things don't get better, Someone Might be Hammered. That's all.

baslisks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:27:12 pm »

Pure awesomeness. I am awaiting results.

Stelknecht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »

Supersweet! (magma on her ladyship!)
Urist McHauler cancels hauling-irradiated by nuke!
UristMcHauler cancels rest-mutating!
UristMcHauler has become a legendary mutant!
Urist McHauler has founded the X-Dwarves!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 07:50:55 pm »

THis is brilliant. I love the commentary.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: [1] 2 3