Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: King of the Beasts Tournament  (Read 3388 times)

thplonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Beasts Tournament
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 08:01:20 pm »

Aaand here we are for the Elephant Match, audience! The long anticipated match between the two domestics is about to begin. They've met on the slopes of the Arena of the Mind, and all labours have been turned off for civilians who want to watch the match. The crowd is electrified.

The Cows start with a strong offense, raining a hail of blows down on the horses, but the horses seem to dodge every attack and-

Gut shot! That's GOT to hurt! And an eye gouge! Civilized cows, my royal agak!

Yes, first blood to the bovines and one of the stallions is looking the worse for wear. But each steed can give as good as he gets, there are pained grunts and bellows all over the field. And the first head blow goes to the horses. A cow is dead.

But they're hurting so bad! Kidney shot! Spleen shot! It's cows all the way! Kick 'em in the head! Ah HA HA! Get that sick one! YES, MY MINIONS! BEAT A DEAD HORSE!

Ah... yes, that wounded stallion has left a trail of green as he stumbles back, he's unconscious, and he's dead. Another wounded horse is down, and another. One is clearly nauseous, winded, and wounded. Two of the cows have organ damage. It can't be long now.

Boom! Headshot! BOOM! Headshot! Unstoppable!

And the last mare is fighting hard but... no, team Horse has lost. It will be Cows versus Elephants for the final.

--- 1 dead cow, 2 wounded cows, 4 bruised cows, 7 dead horses ---

The final match in the Grazing Division will be Elephants versus Cows, for the title of Prince of the Plains. Of course the Elephants are the strong favorites here, but the cows are undefeated since the qualifying round.

Where they fought four deer.

Ah, yes. But won without injury, remember. Anything can happen in the Arena of the mind.

I think you just like cows.

The match has started! The cows open with the One Charges Ahead ploy, perfected in the Marmot versus Groundhog match, although it usually works better when your opponent is smaller and weaker than you. The bull's charge is dodged! The counter is dodged!

And he's GORED from behind! Gut shot! Never saw it coming!

Yes, the pachyderms certainly don't mess around. They've kicked off both of his hooves, and he's down. It's degenerated into a melee now, kicking and goring.

This is how you use a tusk! TUSK TUSK TUSK!

Yeeess... The cattle seem to be unable to damage the elephants, while the elephants make every blow count. Broken backs, shattered spleens, severed hooves. It's not pretty, folks. And of course, the cows were down one from the start.

--- 1 wounded elephant, 6 bruised elephants, 7 dead cattle ---

It's over, and we knew it would be. Let's have a cheer for

The Elephant, Prince of the Plains!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 08:04:04 pm »

Cattle and elephants are near equals? o.o

thplonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 08:16:40 pm »

Cattle and elephants are near equals? o.o
I don't think Elephants HAVE near equals. I think that the horses got lucky against the muskoxen, and then the cows got lucky against the horses. In general, large plains animals are really quite deadly as they can stove in a head with a single blow - but elephants are in a league of their own.

On the other hand, deer, hoary marmots, gazelles, goats, and groundhogs are all the pansies we would expect to find in HERBIVORE league.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:41:22 pm by thplonk »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 08:40:13 pm »

Elephants have near equals, but not in the herbivores. Once you will have finished with the monkey and ape division, will these three winners fight for the title of kings of the herbivores? And after you will have finished with each league, will there be finals to be REALLY king of the beasts?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 08:42:52 pm »

I bet the best mega will be the dragons.

Well, yeah, I'm biased, but their flying and fire will let them melt bronze colossi and burn hydras at their leisure while the enemies shake their fists and...some appendage that hydras have...in fury.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 08:53:10 pm »

A generic MegaBeastFight (MBF) will be that A kills B, but then A dies of whatever symptom B had. MBFs between nonsymptom ones may be more interesting as long as none of them are made of fire, dust and the like.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 08:55:59 pm »

Titans and Forgotten Beasts have the tacky tendency to be made of gasses, it seems, which makes combat all-but laughable.  On the other hand, megabeasts like dragons and hydra can get interesting.  It mostly depends on if that first burst of flame is lethal.  If it's not killer, then the opponent can get in close, and then it gets Fun.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:58 pm »

Titans and Forgotten Beasts have the tacky tendency to be made of gasses, it seems, which makes combat all-but laughable.  On the other hand, megabeasts like dragons and hydra can get interesting.  It mostly depends on if that first burst of flame is lethal.  If it's not killer, then the opponent can get in close, and then it gets Fun.

What? Dragons are too dumb to fly out of their enemies' reach? Clearly these are not true dragons, and are no more than large, flying (occasionally), firebreathing animals.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 10:31:11 pm »

Dragon's can't fly.  :)

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 11:07:33 pm »

Dragon's can't fly.  :)
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
LOSING IS FUN!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 11:49:41 pm »

Very well executed display of dwarvenly entertainment!  (pun intended :D)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

thebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 07:02:59 am »

I really enjoy this concept. Keep it up! I'm looking forward to a match somewhere down the line between elephants and grizzly bears.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 07:59:46 am »

*applauds*
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

thplonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 02:30:07 pm »

Well, hello once more. I'm Urist McPhilosopher and this is my co-announcer, the lovely - who the heck are you?

Oh, I'm Catten Pleatedblossom, sir. Miner and Stonemason. Only they all calls me "Strikes," sir. On account of how I strikes the earth, like. The Baroness, she couldn't make it today, sir.

She's the Baroness. She can do what she likes, and she knows it.

Right you are sir, but, well...

Out with it, man!

Well, the sober truth is, there's no gabbro in the mountain. We've looked and we've looked. And everyone knows what that means.

No garnierite, of course.

Yessir, we've got copper, and we've traded for zinc with the humans, sir, before the seige shut down trade, sir, but there's not a speck of nickel above nor below. And the Baroness, well, she did want those nickel silver cabinets. The nobles, well, saving your Philochoper's presence of course, they've got this way about 'em. She threw a fit, like. Was talking about hammers and all - not that she meant it of course.

Of course.

And the short of it is that she's walled herself in her room and won't come out for nothing, nohow.

But you're a mason. And a miner.

Best in the castle, sir, if I do say so meself.

So you could take down the wall, and let her out.

Oh no, sir. I'm on break.

What, all day?

Very important thing, sir, a break. Keeps you limber. Keeps you focussed. Couldn't interrupt a break, sir. Wouldn't be right.

*cough*

So what's your favorite gibbon, Strikes? Some people like the black-crested gibbon, but the white-browed gibbons have nice coloration.

Well, sir, when I was just knee-high, I did like silvery gibbons, but now I do prefer those Pileated gibbons, sir. They've got this white ring on their heads, and it's the darndest thing I've ever seen. They travel in pairs, they do.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Of course not, sir. All the gibbons travel in pairs. And Bilous, what ever those are.

Oh, they're a type of gibbon. It all makes sense if you think about it. To be honest, I've started to think I should change the Divisions a bit. Perhaps we should condense the primates into a single Other Primate division of the ones that don't travel in pairs - not that it makes them better, of course. Orangutans, gorillas, siamangs, and the like.

Siamangs, sir?

Oh, they're basically a gibbon, but bigger. And they travel in groups of ten. Hardly a gibbon at all, really. But it would not be sporting to make the gibbons fight the other monkeys and apes, who mostly travel in great big bands.

Shall we throw them all in a pit, sir, and see what happens?

An excellent idea. From the north corner of the central pit of the Arena of the Mind, audience, and going clockwise around, we have black-crested gibbons, black-handed gibbons, bilous, gray gibbons, pileated gibbons,

Just look at 'em, sir. They've got rings on, sir. All white, on top of their heads, sir. Grand. Just grand.

...yes. I, ah, see the pileated gibbons. Then the silvery gibbons, white-browed gibbons, and finally the white-handed gibbons for a full circle.

And they're off.

Most of the teams are still in pairs, sir.

We mustn't judge them just for that, Strikes. But yes, the fighting seems to have split into the northern and southern brawls, with the WhiteBrow team splitting to attack either side. They're dodging mostly.

The Crests aren't doing well, one's been bit! Cor, look at that blood...

Yes, gibbons can scratch, but they seem to be focussing on biting attacks, biting and then tearing. So far Whitehand and Crest teams seem to be under heavy attack, there's a lot of blood. Tendons have been torn too, and that's going to make it hard to, yes, one of the Crests is down.

They're all hurting, sir. Not one is looking well. The Crests, Silvers and Greys are all down an ape, and the Whitehands are out entirely, sir.

--- 2 dead white-handed gibbons ---

Mostly from exsanguination, of course. The biting attacks damage organs, but it's the artery tears that do it. The floor is slick with gibbon blood, and I see a lot of gibbons prone and trying to get up.

Go Pileates! Go, you little sons of monkeys! Oh, Armok, one of 'em's down.

--- 2 dead grey gibbons ---

Oooh, the last pileated gibbon's enraged! Best not to get the Pileates mad, boys... 'er mate's dead and she's taking names. She's got that Silver by the leg and she's worryin' 'im about! She's got a bilou's foot - nearly took it off! Shredded the arteries and nerves! Got a tendon too. White fur all wild like some crazy *marble coronet*! Beautiful!

--- 2 dead silvery gibbons ---

Last five teams each have one gibbon still standing, but the Bilou is winded and the Crest has lost a lot of blood... The southern brawl is over, with the Pileate staggering north on her two good legs to join in the northern brawl. Whitebrow and Crest are both looking faint...

--- 2 dead bilous ---

--- 2 dead black-crested gibbons ---

And the Crest is down. Whitebrow is pale and Blackhand can't put weight on his front paws. Looks like he's in pain.

--- 2 dead white-browed gibbons ---

Whitebrow has bled out, Blackhand is pale. He's taken a kidney shot...

Go for it, girl! You've got this one!

--- 2 dead black-handed gibbons ---

--- 1 wounded pileated gibbon, 1 dead pileated gibbon ---

Is she going to bleed out... no, her wounds are not mortal! Audience, I give you the Great Gibbon!

the Great Pileated Gibbon

Amazing!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:43:39 pm by thplonk »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 04:15:53 pm »

*Applauds*

You, sir, are a true dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3