Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with RTD  (Read 1315 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with RTD
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:12:36 am »

Alright, I was going to start another Mass effect roll to dodge.

However I've never GMed a game before so I would like some help for this.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with RTD
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:50:36 pm »

Alright, what do you need help with, exactly?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:01:09 am »

The Mechanics, the storyline I'll just make up as we go along.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:27:52 am »

Any part of the system specifically? Wounds? Combat rolls? Inventory WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME

No really, what?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:30:06 am »

The class system, I want to avoid it however.

Then also shipping them world to world.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:39:31 am »

You can always avoid classes of your own volition; nothing says the players have to start out with a certain set of skills and equipment.  In the first couple of RTDs, you woke up with no clothes, no skills, and no identity.  You could always give your players a list of starting skills as well.

When it comes to traveling, nothing will slow an RTD faster than pointless traveling turns.  As a GM, they're boring to write, and as a player, they're pointless where you just try to get by without killing yourself through failure.  I recommend instant transport when a majority of players say they're ready to go (the rest need to fall in line or be left behind).  You could throw in a random encounter if you really feel like it, but otherwise, just let them jump from world to world as a free action (provided they have the ship and resources to do so).
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 12:50:50 am »

I was going only to travel the group once they were on the ship and give them a turn do things.

And for the classes, thanks.

Now weapons & attachments, I want the players to come up with their own if they want to, aswell as balance the attchments for them; Such as foregrips and Laser aiming modules.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:04:42 am »

Your combat stats in a traditional 1d6 RTD are resist_damage/dodge and accuracy/damage, or resist_damage, dodge, accuracy, and damage.

If you're only rolling 1d6 per player, then be very careful about gouing above +2 for anything (skills, buffs, and items together), or players can do nothing but succeed (Except in combat, where they're rolling against enemies, but it gets strange to have things like [1+5] vs [3+4]). If you want a more item and skill heavy campaign, then roll 1d20 or 3d6 per roll instead.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:13:35 am »

So keep the bonuses at +1, Right.

Finally, what do you think of an armour system?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:18:21 am »

I'm personally in favor of not having any plus-something bonuses. I just fiddle with the roll results depending on how skilled you are... think about the roll you get as a luck roll. Luck is all right (Misfortune is more entertaining to write tho, and you better make your ones and sixes as entertaining as possible), but if you are skilled, you can make the most out of not having any good luck, even if the results are not that good to begin with. However, it is not that easy on the GM :(
I do that because I do not like eliminating one or more elements of the roll table. You can however do as you please, as this is your RtD.

Also, a word of caution of a slightly more experienced GM. You better update regularily and don't postpone stuff too often. Also, don't underestimate the amount of work it is to host such a thing, a turn can take any time between ten minutes (if you are minimalist) and one hour (ouch ouch ouch ouch), although my average is thirty minutes. There are few things more sad than an abandoned RtD, doubly so if it never got out of the beginning phase where not much happens. Trust me, I did that way too often as well.

Brb, resurrecting RtD.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:22:41 am »

Updating won't be a problem, But I'm not experienced as a GM.

The positive bonuses will be at max +2 and thats with situational AND skill/equipment bonuses. OR use a 2d6-3d6 for the bonuses and choose the higher ones.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:28:26 am »

Oh, right. You should probably not spend too much time on the setting. The players in this forum love love love to derail your carefully crafted plot, intentionally or unintentionally, so you should be capable of making up stuff on the fly.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:30:12 am »

That's the plan.

Right, I should get started. Thank you all for the advice.