Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Monument to a Dragon [Capturing a Cave Dragon]  (Read 4968 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Monument to a Dragon [Capturing a Cave Dragon]
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 10:14:17 pm »

What do you propose? Undergrotto?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 10:21:55 pm »

Some 20-50 long hallway, 1-5 Z's tall, with a single-color "red carpet" effect, probably obsidian, with bauxite pillars every 5-10 spaces, making a grand walkway, where the dragon sits chained to an opulent altar, with statues of dragons, other cave creatures, and creatures being killed by dragons.  Bonus points for well-placed magma-falls.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing a Cave Dragon
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 10:29:27 pm »

I NEED IDEAS!
Pit of magma surrounding an island (artificial, of course; bonus points if made of ice!) on which the dragons are placed. Have a sacrificial pit a z-level or two above the island. Drop nobles and goblins down there. Maybe figure out some way to drop elven traders into the sacrificial pit without losing too much building materials.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 10:33:17 pm »

The island is a good idea too, certainly has its merit, but is a bit hard to reach without creative use of bridges.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 10:37:03 pm »

Hmm... Island... Long walkway. I think that I will make a ziggurat like structure... hollow on the inside.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 10:39:29 pm »

If it's stonesense-friendly, do post pics.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 10:41:39 pm »

Will do. I still want ideas, though!! I am producing blocks and melting metals. (Carved a temporary fort and harvesting minerals).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 10:44:18 pm »

Cave theme.  Lots of dark colors, standing water, magma, something-cap wood when available...  Perhaps even mod them to be carnivores, and eat kills, to give them live meat to devour, or kill and eat each other?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »

Hmm... Island... Long walkway. I think that I will make a ziggurat like structure... hollow on the inside.
make the ziggurat underground.  Meaning, carve out many z levels of large open space.  Make sure to leave the ziggurat intact as you do this.  Then, hollow out the zuggurat leaving a natural walkway leading to a small ramp that leads to a cavern (natural or simulated.)  Chain the dragon up in this cavern, or create a pit that sacrifices can be dropped down into instead of a ramp.  Allow for windows behind fortifications to spectate this slaughter and to observe the dragon. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 10:52:56 pm »

It will be hard to do underground because I have a lot of sand and the cavern is right below it... This will make it hard.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 11:18:39 pm »

It will be hard to do underground because I have a lot of sand and the cavern is right below it... This will make it hard.
or make the ziggurat have cavernous passageways through it and the bridge leads to the top of it.  You are allowed to cast obsidian to generate walls where needed but no constructions.  the entire exterior must be engraved and the interior muddied.
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 11:37:46 pm »

Engravings are unreliable, you'll get half of the engravings of cheese, the other half of the engraver himself, and one of the engraver engraving an image of the cave dragon eating cheese.  Thus, statues.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 12:00:41 am »

So! I am thinking about making a tower and carving out sand below it. I will build a ziggurat out of stone under a thin layer of sand (keeping the dark/underground tags). The dragon will reside in a hall within the underground ziggurat.

Code: [Select]
             ______
             |    |    <---Tower
             |    |
             |    |
===================================== <---Ground
   |                         |
   |                         |        <-----underground ziggurat and dragon

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 01:07:50 am »

I'd suggest a spire type of tower.  Like, a 5x5 footprint, and then two levels, and then take the corners and turn them into ramps, making it smaller for the next segment, and do this tapering to make a spike.  Looks great in stonesense, where ramps convert into smooth slopes.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 01:54:28 am »

So! I am thinking about making a tower and carving out sand below it. I will build a ziggurat out of stone under a thin layer of sand (keeping the dark/underground tags). The dragon will reside in a hall within the underground ziggurat.

Code: [Select]
             ______
             |    |    <---Tower (not really necessary but I recommend the spire if you do it.)
             |    |
             |    |
===================================== <---Ground
   |          ===-------==   |
   |         =====           |
   |        =======          |        <-----underground ziggurat and dragon (I added the bridge for access to ziggurat.)

This is like what I had in mind.  And the engravings content doesnt matter as much as the fact that it is engraved.  If you saw the great pyramids of giza completely engraved your face would be  :o thus, the ziggurat's exteriour should be engraved.  :D
[DWARFINEERING]
Pages: 1 [2] 3