Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Monument to a Dragon [Capturing a Cave Dragon]  (Read 4967 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Monument to a Dragon [Capturing a Cave Dragon]
« on: February 09, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »

On the 25th of Malachite, mid-summer, in the year of Armok 149, the dwarves of Akathdomas, "Winterguild", caught within their cage traps, a cave dragon. She is skinny, but gigantic. She now sits in a masterwork bloodthorn cage.

So, gentlemen, the question is: what do I do with her?

The dragon should have a mate that will eventually wander into my biome. The dragon will outlive all else. In light of these events, plus my excess thousands of sandstone and all flavors of metals, I have decided to make a temple to the dragon(s). I want ideas for buildings. The land is flat with a small hill in the corner. It is in a cold biome, and half the map on the right is a lake that is frozen all year long.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:50:42 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing a Cave Dragon
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 08:59:53 pm »

Do those breathe fire? If not, then... not much you can do. Arena matches or such...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:07:12 pm »

Catch a male.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »

Zoo centerpiece or Invader-remover?
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:14:45 pm »

Do those breathe fire? If not, then... not much you can do. Arena matches or such...

No, but is immune to fire (not magma).

Catch a male.

Will do...

Zoo centerpiece or Invader-remover?

I am thinking temple? I have fireflies on the map, so maybe a giant temple, that leads underground with caged fireflies as guides and statues lining the walls on the way to the dragon. I will tame it and chain it/pit it in this temple and sacrifice goblins to it.

For Armok.

(Or maybe !!elves!!)
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:23:22 pm »

There's 2-5 per biome, in vanilla, and they're PET_EXOTIC.  Let the breeding begin!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:24:41 pm »

I will have to catch another. And vanilla. Pft. I am not worried about modding it to [PET]...

Also... After checking the raws, I learned It doesn't age. Cave dragons never get old.  :o

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:30:11 pm »

I'm not referring to that, simply that you may have changed yours in some way.  PET_EXOTIC can breed in wild, so I would highly suggest keeping two wild ones, and then breeding some children while training soldiers/goblins on the wild.  That's too good of an opportunity to pass up! They also mature in 4 years, vanilla.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 09:37:07 pm »

I'm not referring to that, simply that you may have changed yours in some way.  PET_EXOTIC can breed in wild, so I would highly suggest keeping two wild ones, and then breeding some children while training soldiers/goblins on the wild.  That's too good of an opportunity to pass up! They also mature in 4 years, vanilla.

I had not thought about that. It has [BUILDING_DESTROYER:2], which means it can punch through a lot.

Designing a breeding temple and a way to capture them again will be hard...

I NEED IDEAS!!

Yes, 4 years to mature to adult, but 1,000 years to reach their full size.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 09:46:45 pm »

You can mod that, make it 20-50 if you want some remnants of realism, or 5 if you want quick draggy.

Breeding building destroyers is tough, because the newborn will destroy the chain holding the mother, so chains aren't an option.  The best method seems to be using a bridge, so that you can retract it and leave un-crossable empty space, leaving the dragon in a small pit.  On the other side of this disappearing bridge are 2+ cages and a dog on a chain.  When the bridge flattens, then the dragons run across to kill the dog, and in the process get caught in the cages.  Just be away that normally, your dwarves will refuse to chain the dog if they can see the dragons.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Monument to a Dragon [Capturing a Cave Dragon]
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 09:51:28 pm »

That works. It will need some planning to get it to work. I need monument/temple designs and ideas.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 09:56:35 pm »

Statues, lots of statues, with a steel (or blue) chained dragon (perhaps the original capture) on an altar surrounded by its own statues.  Long, firey hallways, use bauxite for red and perhaps gem windows for color effects make a full display for a proper cult.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 09:59:13 pm »

In like a ziggurat-like structure?

Or some kind of tower?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:53 pm »

Construct the temple to be a three dimensional dragon head complete with working firebreath (magmafall.)
Use a raising drawbridge rather than a retractable because this will prevent "ahhh! dragon!" spam.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 10:12:41 pm »

No, underground temple, think "arcane shrine to the demon" type, very occult.  This is a cave dragon, a decrepit, rotten beast forced underground, where its eyes went dull, its fire died, and the wings went tattered.  This deserves a dark, echoing underground cavern, not an opulent temple.
Pages: [1] 2 3