Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: The Lacuna Expanse  (Read 30667 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lacuna Expanse
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:18 pm »

I'm working towards an Embassy right now, just need another university level, so far it's fun, but i don't get the plot number, it says i have 12 left while i clearly have more than twice that number of emty pieces of land
It's not how many spaces are on the planet, it's just how many you're allowed to build on. Check a planet in the Starmap, it'll tell you how many plots you can build on(Size).
I think every planet simply uses the same grid.

EDIT: I have a Trade Ministry, but I cannot build any Dories. What gives?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:42:12 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2011, 12:48:46 pm »

EDIT: I have a Trade Ministry, but I cannot build any Dories. What gives?
Do you have space in your Space Port?

Also, yeah I didn't realize, but apparently you need an embassy to accept an alliance invitation too. 3 hours left on the upgrade to level 8 so I can invite 2 more people.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2011, 12:56:52 pm »

I just upgraded my Spaceport, and now I can't even build probes(at the Shipyard) anymore.
It says 3 docks available, but no build options

EDITBEFOREPOST: Huh, might just be not having the resources on hand to build it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2011, 01:26:38 pm »

Yeah, if you can't see it, you don't have the resources.

Learned this with colony ships.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2011, 01:32:12 pm »

Instead of Malcud farms, I'd highly suggest Algae Croppers. They give you a boost in both electricity and food (in fact, I'd say you could PROBABLY destroy an energy plant or two if you had them), so they're pretty damn useful. Nevermind the fact that they give you more food than Malcud farms do.

I've only kept one of my Malcud farms for purposes of the happiness bonus multiple food types gets you.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2011, 01:49:09 pm »

My only complaint about the algae croppers is they seem to give off a lot of extra waste compared to other food sources.

EDIT: Oh wait, no they don't I'm thinking of something else.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2011, 02:32:58 pm »

Waste is amazing. Get a recycler and all the sudden all that waste is any resource is your choice.

Also, many missions and some buildings need waste to be build.

You can also drop waste on anyone's world to cause unhappyness.

Edit: Thanks for the invite. Ill build an embassy once my university is done upgrading.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:38:24 pm by Rex_Nex »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2011, 02:37:03 pm »

Working on replacing my water Purification Plants with Production Plants now one at a time. If it goes well I should have enough happiness tommorow to get a colony going.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2011, 02:53:55 pm »

Yeah, definitely do that. I've already replaced the 5 or 6 Purification Plants with two Production Plants, and producing over 700/hr.

I've gotten my waste production down to 4/hr(unfortunately, the waste storage is full). Malcud farms reduce waste, and are needed for burger production. I'm not sure what Denton Root Farms are good for, maybe some secondary food production.

By the way, does trading require Essentia? It looks like it's currency for trades(you put something up for sale, and set an asking price in Essentia). There's something called "stash" trading for alliances, but I'm not exactly sure how it works.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2011, 02:55:57 pm »

Yeah, the algae croppers are nice, but Malcud farms will reduce waste slightly instead of producing it, which can be good to offset some other buildings. It's not really enough to be hugely significant (I have a waste power plant and something that converts waste to ore and they do the vast majority of my waste consumption) but it can be nice. The recycler's nice, but it takes a really long time...

I don't think you need essentia to trade in an alliance. Not sure, but I don't think so.

Edit:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:59:46 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2011, 03:00:07 pm »

Bluerobin, why in the name of hell would you want to get RID of waste? :p

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2011, 03:03:35 pm »

Yeah. At later higher university level you can turn waste into happiness by building waste monuments.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2011, 03:09:13 pm »

I kind of needed to because my recycler was so slow. Now that it's more under control I won't be upgrading the waste consuming stuff for a while.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2011, 03:14:18 pm »

Construction processes generate enough trash.

And if you need to dump garbage on someone or convert it into delicious ore, you can always just buy it.
I'll sell/stash all of mine if you want ;).

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2011, 03:15:11 pm »

I could actually use some now if you have extra you can stick in the stash. I'll take up to 10k probably. I went into negative waste production and now my people are annoyed that they're out of jobs because I have no waste to make into power/ore. :-\
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33