Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Population to millatery ratios  (Read 3375 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population to millatery ratios
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2011, 08:01:55 pm »

My forts need 60 dwarves to work as I like, consisting of these Dwarf Therapist profiles and 1 workshop of each skill for each dwarf :

3 Doctors
4 Cloth+Leather+Weaving+Tanner
9 Planter+Cook+Brewer+Butcher+Fish Cleaner
4 Glass+Jeweler
4 Mechanic
16 Metalworkers (one is usually a legendary miner since the fort began)
10 Masons (two are legendary engravers since the fort began)
10 Woodworker+Bone carver

All other dwarves ,including the king, get drafted into the military, get full legendaries thanks to a 1x1 danger room, and are then chucked outside to fight the numerous sieges from Fortress Defense.
I first read this as you had 4 people who all tanning and weaving and leatherworking and clothesmaking turned on. Even if you don't mean that, I like the idea, and I'm going to implament it right away. That would be so much neater than my current mix of micromanagement or undermanagement I'm currently doing.

Yeah, I find that guard duty is often active, posting militia to areas of interest where civilians are likely to be exposed instead of just patrolling halls or map edges.
In that fort it was impossible. They were continuously cleaning up ambush remains from all over the map, and I didn't have enough dwarf power to do that. I figured the main point of guard duty was actually sun exposure. If they ever finished cleaning up remains (hah), then I would have thought of it as actual guard duty, but really I'm kidding myself if I think that's what they were doing.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

casthewiz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2011, 08:37:28 pm »

I usually end up having two squads of champions, usually spears and hammers (Spears tend to pierce organs, Hammers tend to be awesome), equipped in full steel or cotton candy armor.

The rest of my dwarves are thrown into militia squads with minimal armor and weaponry and set on a schedule so that each squad trains once a year; tends to keep the casualty rate low during sieges/Forgotten fun.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2011, 08:49:59 pm »

1:1 ratio. ALL your Dwarves are potential recruits. They're just not always needed.

Are you sure you mean 1:1? Because that would mean half your dwarves, and you're saying all your dwarves are potential recruits?

And on topic:
I tend to make everyone who has gotten a mood, military. It's an odd way to select your soldiers, I guess. But it works for me.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:53:06 pm by Naros »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2011, 09:23:03 pm »

1:1 ratio. ALL your Dwarves are potential recruits. They're just not always needed.

Are you sure you mean 1:1? Because that would mean half your dwarves, and you're saying all your dwarves are potential recruits?
If all of them are "reserves", and also have civilian work to do, then yes, 1:1 is the correct ratio to list for it.   1:1 is also correct where half are full-time civies and half are full-time soldiers. :D

And on topic:
I tend to make everyone who has gotten a mood, military. It's an odd way to select your soldiers, I guess. But it works for me.
Myself, I pick between 1 and 4 from the first two immigrant waves to start off with.  Unfortunately I haven't had a fort last long enough (yet) to get above about 80 dwarves, and the one fort that did was my second, back before I realized what happens when you get hit by an eight-goblin ambush squad armed with mace and spear.

My use-to-be-current-before-it-crashed-on-save-a-few-hours-ago fort had 8 soldiers for 54 population (the dwarven caravan had just shown up for the second time) -- four two-dwarf squads on rotating train-train-guard-idle schedules.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:58 pm »

1:10 ratio. fortress defense is easy with danger rooms lol.
LOSING IS FUN!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2011, 12:47:13 am »

1:10 ratio. fortress defense is easy with danger rooms lol.
That's why you should play it with less exploits.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2011, 01:10:21 am »

I don't get why the danger room is called an exploit. I mean, it would work in real life pretty much as well. Throw a person in a room and force them to dodge and block various wooden implements of pain. If they don't dodge, they punish themselves. The main difference is that it would be harder to set up in real life, what with the lack of magical mechanisms that stretch across the map to operate things.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2011, 01:19:48 am »

I don't get why the danger room is called an exploit. I mean, it would work in real life pretty much as well. Throw a person in a room and force them to dodge and block various wooden implements of pain. If they don't dodge, they punish themselves. The main difference is that it would be harder to set up in real life, what with the lack of magical mechanisms that stretch across the map to operate things.
In DF, danger rooms are made sure to be non-lethal. Moreover, there're no drills as effective as real combat. Nobody become Rambo in their 2 years of service if they dont see the frontline and even most of those which do wouldnt. Danger rooms are clearly an exploit because it made dwarven combat skills trivival. If danger rooms are indeed intended to be a normal thing, all siegers would have legendary skills as well to counterbalance it.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 07:41:40 am »

I personally don't like danger rooms as they seem to make things far too easy and I never have to worry about being able to stop a siege.
That's why I use spikes.
All of my military are drafted from immigrants with no/little skill, so any that die aren't a big loss. Only the strong survive without being crippled. A steady stream of goblin captives ensures my select few will be ready when the time comes.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2011, 08:03:42 am »

I, myself don't use Danger Rooms

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2011, 08:12:35 am »

danger room makes training too easy, with a slight trade off of broken fingers.
and then current training mechanism is bugged, it's so hard to get dwarfs spar and training quickly, even with a great teacher with great skills.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 08:35:04 am »

In DF, danger rooms are made sure to be non-lethal. Moreover, there're no drills as effective as real combat.

Obviously, you haven't seen Zorro. Besides, they sure are lethal to all those poor Dwarven Babies.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2011, 09:34:43 am »

Obviously, you haven't seen Zorro. Besides, they sure are lethal to all those poor Dwarven Babies.
and cats and dogs.

I have no problem with the concept of training rooms btw, only that they are too powerful for what they do. A few tweaks would make them far cooler:

- Each trap should only count as one hit blocked (it takes ~equal skill to block one spear with a shield than to block 10 simultaneous spears coming from the same direction).
- traps in general should count as partial attacks for the purpose of training skills, as it would just take less effort since you can anticipate the direction.
- Spear traps should have a higher chance of hitting unarmored spots. My dwarves currently survive training rooms with a bunch of spikes spinning frantically, with nothing but pigtail fabric and a wooden shield.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2011, 09:40:47 am »

Cloistered wood has a Population of ~150.

The Standing Army is about 50 Strong. There are about 20 Fortress Guards. The Territorial (or Reserve) Army is about 60 strong, but they don't fight much, they're more to cover the retreat of the Standing army if the Goblins are too many to hold off at the wall, & then to fight a running battle with the Goblins as the civilians head towards the "Panic Room" and that nice shiny Red Lever....

No Traps, No Danger Room. I am a true Dwarf, and do not need such cowardly things.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2011, 09:43:40 am »

Depends on population and wealth , for example at 80 population I would have only 10 Military , Marks dwarves with axes (just would wish it could become true :< , when they were in the caves the animals had no chance , seems like ill have to switch to axes.... they didn't stood a chance to the clowns -.-)
Desu
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5