Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Population to millatery ratios  (Read 3382 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Population to millatery ratios
« on: February 09, 2011, 06:48:03 pm »

Hey, i have my fort wich is on its 8th or 9th year, population 221 and 70 of them are millatery, whats your fortress millatery ratios?
am i just very millateristic? or do some of you build the equivalent of the slayer keep in warhammer fantesy?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population to millatery ratios
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:51:19 pm »

I usually have 30 soldiers for my whole fort. Not too many, yet enough so I can split them up to deal with different threats and not get butchered.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:51:52 pm »

I usually let my traps do the work, just about 1 military dwarf for 40 cililans

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:54:25 pm »

realy?

mind, i tend to like the idea of marhcing out to goblin seiges with equal numbers on eather side and watching the pitched battle as my dwarfs rip them limb from limb. though, i do have the trap corridor of doom that closes at the entrace with a drawbridge so i can compartmentalise my opponents forces and preform trainning/mop up opps with my millatery dorfs.

i guess ill be ready for the army arc at any rate ^^

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:55:35 pm »

I...

I'm beginning to wonder if you're truly a dwarf.
realy?

mind, i tend to like the idea of marhcing out to goblin seiges with equal numbers on eather side and watching the pitched battle as my dwarfs rip them limb from limb. though, i do have the trap corridor of doom that closes at the entrace with a drawbridge so i can compartmentalise my opponents forces and preform trainning/mop up opps with my millatery dorfs.

I usually use my soldiers to deal with FBs/stragglers/wild animals.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:58:24 pm »

I...

I'm beginning to wonder if you're truly a dwarf.
realy?

I usually use my soldiers to deal with FBs/stragglers/wild animals.

So, it's undwarvenly to watch and laugh as a goblin stumbles through the trap chamber, getting arms shaved clean off by steel disks and being impaled by spikes as you laugh to yourself sadisticly?

Thought so.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:11:37 pm »

Population : 85. Military : 32.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 07:12:22 pm »

My current fort has no popcap and has 44/86 dwarfs enlisted. It's the easiest way to keep idler numbers reasonable. It keeps things moving without having lots doing nothing.

Currently 24 are full armed and armoured, 10 axe, 10 hammer and 4 crossbow. The other 20 just arrived in a 27 man migrant wave that also brough an expert bone doctor. They are currently doing a couple of years wrestling to keep them busy and just provide some information on how militia commanders affect training speed.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 07:16:01 pm »

The most I've had was 45 in a 200+ fortress. In squads of five, so I could split them up strategically (that fort had a lot of vulnerable points in order to maintain freedom of dwarf movement -- I hate watching a dwarf go out through one draw bridge and march all the way around the fortress to pick up a sock that he left out there when he immigrated).
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 07:20:05 pm »

I'm trying to set up a "civilian defense program" correctly. My conclusion so far is that I need to divide dwarfs into following castes:
1) Females don't get danger room training or "recover wounded" jobs. They get some armor and crossbows. I assign them bone and wooden bolts for training, not metal. During sieges they rain bolts on enemies trying to get through traps. Some ranged training on captured goblins behind fortifications is ok too.
2) Important males (legendary crafters, doctors usefull nobles, and the like) are in squads set to inactive all the time. They don't have "recover wounded", "haul wood", and whatever else might get them into trouble. They have some hauling jobs, but mostly do their main job, and train during some breaks. Same goes for important females. 
3) Males with no important skills get full DR training, and melee weapons. They are set to train untill multiple +5 legendaries and double up as haulers. They also all have jobs that don't influence quality, like furnance operator, milker, ets. My problem is, multiple +5 soldiers seem to get their civilian jobs disabled. These guys get the best equipment and are sent to combat first.
4) Maybe I should keep miners, woodcutters and hunters out of the military, to avoid "equipment mismatch" spam but I didn't have  much trouble with that.

Proportions of military to civlians should resolve themselves.

Cons:
Lots of equipment needed.
Lots of micromanagement.
Some unhappiness.

Pros:
Everyone has a chance to defend from minor threats.
Dwarfs train rather than idle.
Armor replacing cloth gives them better survivability, so random hauler won't die from DR spears when hauling away cat corpse.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:21:05 pm »

10-20, no matter the fort size.  Usually a group of 10 axes, and then the militia commander with 1-3 spears and the sheriff with 1-3 hammers.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 07:23:28 pm »

i have to say, i have yet to use the DR. and i dont find any problems with uniform missmatches so long as i assign a specific weapon to the dwarf, ie a pick or a axe. My millatery commander has mining enabled and dual weilds pickaxes. hell, one of her pickaxes has a name/is a pesudo-artifact.

then again, she was one of the origonal seven and can kill ellete goblin soldiers 1 on 1 without getting a scratch.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:28:09 pm by Karakzon »

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 07:24:59 pm »

Vanilla
18 military to ~40 dwarfs.

Fortress Defense
36 military to ~80 dwarfs.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 07:28:05 pm »

Sometimes 1:1 ratio.
Have all the unskilled migrants drafted.
Train them up in the art of war.
Turn them back into civilians, and get them started with labors, boosted by the secondary skills they got from learning to dodge.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 07:30:05 pm »

another thought for the basket:

whats your male female ratio?
all my best fighters are female dwarfs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5