Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Combat Zone - Forum Strategy Game  (Read 5101 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Combat Zone - Forum Strategy Game
« on: February 09, 2011, 01:15:58 pm »

Prologue: The Gathering Storm

The year is 2006 - ever since the end of the Great War, ideas like 'nationalism' and 'independence' have spread through the colonies like wildfire. While the puppet governments installed by the great European empires still remain in power, all kinds of power-hungry rebels and warlords have emerged, most likely backed up by your enemies.

You have been assigned to support your Dutch allies in the Middle East. Their government suspects a large-scale insurgent attack is on the way - their informants have told them about several charismatic warlords that have been gathering support in the countryside.

Syrian Countryside.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The highlighted units are under your command. Use them well and turn back the rebel attack!

((Ie, just say what you want your troops to do. Don't worry, you can't really fail yet. You'll get more troops to command as the game goes on. If anyone wants me to name an unit after them, just pick one. And before anyone asks, I'm using a game called Combat Mission: Shock Force+expansions for this.))
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:26:29 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Atilliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Combat Zone - Forum Strategy Game
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:30:28 pm »

what exactly are the 'binocular' and 'flag' men?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:31:45 pm »

I am going to have to request details of what all the symbols mean.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:40:05 pm »

Ah, sorry.

The Binoculars icon is basically you, a radio operator and a soldier. Flags are platoon leaders and such. They give nice morale bonuses when near their troops. The 'human' icons are normal infantry squads/light vehicles. The vehicle is probably self-explanatory, it's an APC.

The attack is coming from up the road, if that was unclear.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:53:40 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Atilliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 02:33:40 pm »

I would say:

Bring the APC further to the southeast, and let it destroy the light rebel vehicle and squad that are stationed there with it's machinegun, at the same time
send the leader and one of the captains to the squad on the roof of that building and join them there. When they are all there, try shooting the men of the vehicle to the north-west of their position. Make the other squad and captain get on the roof of the building opposite to the one I just talked about and let em face to the north and west.
Send the light vehicle to the middle of the road between the two buildings ready to drive away into the north-west direction.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 03:34:09 pm »

Name the apc after me

I would say:

Bring the APC further to the southeast, and let it destroy the light rebel vehicle and squad that are stationed there with it's machinegun, at the same time
send the leader and one of the captains to the squad on the roof of that building and join them there. When they are all there, try shooting the men of the vehicle to the north-west of their position. Make the other squad and captain get on the roof of the building opposite to the one I just talked about and let em face to the north and west.
Send the light vehicle to the middle of the road between the two buildings ready to drive away into the north-west direction.
and this

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:40:33 pm »

The pics look reminiscent of Mount&Blade actually.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 03:47:21 pm »

What did you use to make this ?

Atilliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 05:33:36 pm »

The pics look reminiscent of Mount&Blade actually.

Yes, I know, I thought so the first moment I saw the pictures.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 06:05:19 pm »

What did you use to make this ?
Really? did you read the whole of the opening post (not to be rude or anything)?
((Ie, just say what you want your troops to do. Don't worry, you can't really fail yet. You'll get more troops to command as the game goes on. If anyone wants me to name an unit after them, just pick one. And before anyone asks, I'm using a game called Combat Mission: Shock Force+expansions for this.))
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 08:16:29 pm »

Oh I skipped that part sorry  :(

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 08:39:58 pm »

Doesn't this technically fit into a Let's Play if you are using a game?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 12:55:12 am »

I thought so first as well, but then I'm playing my own scenarios and have my own story, so it's not really a Let's Play. I've used games for screenshots before in forum games.

EDIT: And about the mount-and-blade-like graphical look... well, I'm actually having a pretty annoying problem. Everything looks fancy and detailed in-game, but whenever I printscreen+CTRL-V a pic into paint, it looks like shit. All the detail, textures and far-away trees, troops, etc disappear. Anyone know what might be causing this?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:51:20 am by Digital Hellhound »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 06:31:37 am »

I confused everyone earlier, so I'm trying to take clearer pics now. Your troops and your allies are red, the enemy is blue. Why? Don't ask. I still tried to follow your orders.
---

You issue your orders into the radio, and watch with satisfaction as your men hurry to fulfill them. Even the Dutch troops granted to you follow their orders expectionally well. You head up to the roof of the nearby building and begin scanning the horizon for movement. Car engines roar in the distance.

You don't have to wait for long - the fireteam of the keen-eyed Sergeant Fernandes opens fire, claiming the first shots of the engagement. You make a mental note to congrulate him later. Other guns follow his lead soon enough, cutting apart the woods ahead like paper. Some attackers come down, but the rest of the horde keeps coming.

As the mass of human bodies advances, you can't help but to wonder about the full size of the rebel army. Even if they get slaughtered in the wide open fields surrounding the town, their numbers alone could guarantee victory. You hope these men aren't fanatical enough to ignore their comrades falling en masse.

Should you hold your ground and hope the rebel advance falters in time, or fall back to a safer position? What are your orders?

---

Commanders
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((I decided I'll be going with a larger 'claiming' system for units. If you take an unit, you can give orders and receive upgrades/more troops after each battle. So choose your troops today!))

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 06:46:17 am »

I'll take an infantry section.

WE HOLD THE LINE!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6