Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A Community/Economy Fortress!  (Read 2874 times)

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Community/Economy Fortress!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 08:03:20 pm »

The HEAL guild currently throws its support behind the establishment of the farms, and advocates the creation of a decent bedroom that can be shared by all dwarves who have the need.

-Caevin

I expect to step into the territory of other guilds as this fort progresses, after all, our guild is concerned about a wide variety of things. Try and stop me!

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 08:05:27 pm »

Journal of Ereth Tombsattack, Overseer of Laboredglades
14th of Opal, year 571

Winter is boring.

Not only that, it's downright deadly sometimes. Of course, I know better than to run out of drinks when there's not a drop of water to spare, but still, the cold months announce nothing but boredom and numb extremeties. I'll keep my spirits up, and my fingers warm, by writing my thoughts down. If it doesn't help stave off the boredom, at least it'll help me keep organized.

I should've known that the nobles back at the mountainhomes had ulterior motives for sending us here... Not long after we've dug ourselves into the mountain, we've gotten 'migrants'. I'm putting these little marks around the word because... well, I think they've been sent here for a special purpose.

Not even a day after they settle in, they're already all up in my business, following me around and asking me questions. "Where's our hall?" "Where's my workshop?" And when I pointed them towards the dining hall and work area...

...they just looked at me like I was a refuse hauler that dumped a rat corpse in their bed! They were furious! They said they were expecting me to have built their Guild Halls already. I asked them what a Guild Hall was, and they just stormed off ranting about poor work conditions.

Our liason is still in the guest room, enjoying a bit more warmth before taking the trip back to the mountainhomes. I'll give him a visit tomorrow morning and see if I can glean a bit more information about this mess...

Map of the fort as it stands

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:19:15 pm by ElthMysterius »
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 10:23:55 pm »

the cage, was a possession? cuz if we got a legendary somethingsdwarf, that might be important

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 08:02:19 am »

the cage, was a possession? cuz if we got a legendary somethingsdwarf, that might be important

It was secretive, so we did get a Legendary Clothier. It's pretty useless to me right now though, until I can get a proper cloth industry running. Right now, Askot is taking care of trade goods, since he's a pretty good stonecrafter.

Also, I might as well post the goals for tonight:

1. Build a hospital. It will consist of a communal resting room, a small operating room, an office for the Chief Medical Dwarf and the beginnings of the HEAL Guild Hall, which will be built around the hospital.

2. Build a proper barracks. I'm thinking of building something over the entrance, sort of like a mini-castle, that will also house the soldiers. They'll be able to spot thieves and ambushes during training, and will always be nearby when needed. The castle will include a drawbridge and a moat, of course.

3. Build an Overseer's office. I need a nice room to make all these important decisions, damnit! It'll be the start of Central Control, my own 'guild'. Or in this case, the government.

Player projects, however, will be top priority.

The HEAL guild currently throws its support behind the establishment of the farms, and advocates the creation of a decent bedroom that can be shared by all dwarves who have the need.

-Caevin

I expect to step into the territory of other guilds as this fort progresses, after all, our guild is concerned about a wide variety of things. Try and stop me!

Building a Homeless Shelter (or Migrant Greeting Area) as part of the hospital sounds like an awesome idea. Ideally, everyone should have at least a hole in the wall with a bed in it, but I've always been bad at building large amounts of bedrooms. It'll certainly add flavour, at any rate.
"Strike the earth!"

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 08:57:37 am »

a clothier made a cage?! :\ i didn't know it was possible... this must be engraved!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 09:11:05 am »

ATTENTION STEEL WORKERS

I believe our guild hall should be built around our magma forges by the magma. All who agree?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

ShadowZane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 11:21:12 am »

Name: Zane
Gild: Outpost Defenders, Captain of Sharpshooters
Character: Sarcastic, cold, still always open for a drink.
Appeareance: You will never find him without his beloved crossbow named Sarcizz, which in his home language means "Eyepoker"
Skills:
Crossbow
Leadership
"Never discuss with an idiot,
first he brings you down to his niveau and then he beats you there cause of his experience"

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 01:15:36 pm »

Outpost Defense needs a barracks and practice targets!
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

ShadowZane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 01:18:57 pm »

Yes indeed! Otherwise my sharpshooters wont be able to shoot anything but a 5m big target in the right foot!
first he brings you down to his niveau and then he beats you there cause of his experience"

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 02:54:33 pm »

The guild hall had better be a monument to the Magma Forges! Speaking of which, are the miners even looking for magma? They should really bet on that. I need to make more steel! we need to have ten full suits of steel armor done by summer of year three! that includes a breast plate, a chain shirt, gauntlets, grieves, chain pants, high boots, cap, and helm!
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 04:18:55 pm »

The guild hall had better be a monument to the Magma Forges! Speaking of which, are the miners even looking for magma? They should really bet on that. I need to make more steel! we need to have ten full suits of steel armor done by summer of year three! that includes a breast plate, a chain shirt, gauntlets, grieves, chain pants, high boots, cap, and helm!

Valrandir of the Miner's guild is still on its way to the Fortress among with other migrants.

Now, what about legging?

ShadowZane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 04:23:20 pm »

I heavily aggree to the plans of TALLPANZER, its very good that the magma forges do care about our military!
Very much thanks to our fellow smiths

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 05:40:14 pm »

Outpost Defense and the Steelworkers live and die with each other! We'll have to talk about weapons...
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »

a clothier made a cage?! :\ i didn't know it was possible... this must be engraved!

A cape, not a cage :P

It's worth 20360¤, but nothing really special otherwise. A Legendary Clothier isn't really much to sneeze at either.

As you can see, the steel industry isn't doing too bad even without magma. I'll be digging down pretty soon, both to look for caverns and to find some delicious magma.

I wanted to experiment with magma pump stacks, but a guild hall/forge built above the magma sea sounds pretty ridiculously badass.

Valrandir of the Miner's guild is still on its way to the Fortress among with other migrants.

Now, what about legging?

Oh, you're in the fort, happily digging into the magnetite and bituminous coal. Also, I'm 99% sure you can't put leggings and greaves on at once. Greaves are much better anyway  8)

Also, hooray for Friday! I have weekends off, so I'll be able to advance the fort quite a bit. Expect an update sometime tonight!

Elth, you got the guilds wrong on the OP. Shadowzane is with the Outpost defenders but in the Sharpshooter section. Which means he's just a crossbowdwarf in the Outpost Defense guild. Also, weapons shall be forged! All shall beware this fortress' military!

Woops! Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:05:00 pm by ElthMysterius »
"Strike the earth!"

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 07:03:13 pm »

Elth, you got the guilds wrong on the OP. Shadowzane is with the Outpost defenders but in the Sharpshooter section. Which means he's just a crossbowdwarf in the Outpost Defense guild. Also, weapons shall be forged! All shall beware this outpost's military! Also, what is the fortress's name?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:06:11 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3