Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526105 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Dammit, James didn't have any real firepower on him and if he didn't have something serious, the bleakman here was just going to punch another hole in him. ...Well, on second thought, James did have something...
Get into cover and create 10 Shrike blades.

((Your derived passive kinetics is 8, so you can only have a max of eight shrikes stored.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

((Ah, eight it is then. No real significance to ten anyway, just a large round number.))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Dom waited for everyone to finish what they were doing, "Let's keep moving." She went back to following the designated path, albeit at a slower, more cautious pace now.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile

THe woman, if she is still there at all is probably suffering, run the tapping through a morse code translator later just in case, but end it, quickly, then continue back to the ship
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Sorry guys, was struck by inspiration on another field, and used most of my writing time working out a different concept. I'll finish Dom's, Ash's, and Toomas' set tomorrow.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Anna turned to look at Tyrin after nodding at the medic for his help.

"Tyrin. Link with me. We're going big, all or nothing. I just hope we've got enough between us..."
"L-Link? Alright."
Tyrin saw the efforts becoming futile, as far as his confidence went. Yet he knew the enemy in front of them was beatable.

Emphatic link w/ Anna//Let her link up!

Switch to the weapon most suitable at range to fire upon the Presbyter (unsure if its the Kapre or the Broadbeam :x) and aim//fire, if able.

Heh, Kapre. Philippine mythology memory there :P

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Toomas Amk

Keep up my enhanced strength and drag the scientist away down the hall as rapidly as I can - turn the corner and move further away. Keep an eye out for vents along the way.

[mobility 22-1 (Mitigated)] The scientist is slick with blood, and this, in conjunction with your own enhanced strength [Restructuring 21] (-20 Health) and burning desire to not be eaten, provides you with enough mobility to initially outpace the Abomination. You swing wide around the corridor, casting about for anything that might help you. [Observation 21] Your quick eyes note an area where the wax has expanded the seam created by a partially open maintenance hatch. Not only will the door slow the Abomination down a little, but you'll definitely be able to get access to the ventilation system from inside the maintenance tract.
   You can only hope that it isn't hungry enough to follow you into the vents. In that kind of space... Well, fighting wouldn't be much of an option.

(Rolled three natural 22s AND got more than 101 points in five rolls. I really expected those  to be different achievements. Choose your perks )

Spoiler: Perk Choice (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toomas Amk (click to show/hide)

---

Ashley Fey

THe woman, if she is still there at all is probably suffering, run the tapping through a morse code translator later just in case, but end it, quickly, then continue back to the ship

You [Systems Manipulation 20+1] actually have a Morse code translator running through your head. It didn't seem like a thing you'd ever need when you left Avira, but it didn't take up much space either, and you thought it might come in handy.
   The time of its handiness, however, is still yet to come. The Morse code translation of the tapping comes out as gibberish, without any relation to words grammatical structure. [Intuition 6] You're not sure if it's a secondary cipher or just meaningless taps, but you are sure that you have no idea what to do with it. Regretfully, you unsheathe one of your duelist blades an make a short, powerful cut across the woman's neck. Crystal reinforced alloy severs throat, spine, and vocal cords in a single blow. Some of the blood that was trapped in her obliterated chest cavity seeps out through her neck-stump, but nothing else changes. Nothing. Her chest still rises and falls rhythmically, creating an even more hideous sucking sound now that you've decapitated her, an the mouth of her severed head continues trying to form words.
   You watch, somehow more revolted than before, as the motions continue, losing a little intensity each time. After several minutes the motions have subsided to little more than twitches, and you shake yourself out of your morbid fascination with the woman's corpse. You can't help but think there was something else you should have done, but there's nothing else you can do now. You jog off to Dom's shuttle, trying to put the decapitate woman out of your mind.
   Harry greets you the instant you back on the shuttle hatch, throwing the door open and dragging you inside. "About bloody time, what were you doing out there? Picking imaginary space flowers?" Harry's tone is frustrated, but also shot with more than a little worry. He's used to being the shock trooper, and probably didn't appreciate being left on the shuttle all this time."
   "Please be calm Mr. Nakamuno," Emily breaks in, her voice a fair approximation of soothing. "Ashley Fey is well and there is no cause to be perturbed, in addition there are many health benefits to remaining calm. You will die less quickly if you remain calm."
   "And you'll die less quickly if you shut up!" Harry roars at the nearest speaker.
   You rise an eyebrow at Harry, and he seems to remember that you are his superior, and that he's yelling at what is, for all intents, an inanimate object. He takes a few deep breaths. "Sorry-"
   "Apology Accepted," Emily interjects immediately.
   "Not talking to you," Harry growls between clenched teeth, keeping his tone level with an effort. "I've been working with Emily for some time, and she is... stressful. I apologize for my actions, it was out of turn to question your timing. Still," he adds, his voice hopeful, "do we have a plan now?"

Spoiler: Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dom waited for everyone to finish what they were doing, "Let's keep moving." She went back to following the designated path, albeit at a slower, more cautious pace now.

The group is back in formation and moving in less than a minute. The tension of the first part of your journey was defined by having no idea what to expect, and, despite the fact that what you faced was horrible and came quite close to killing on of the group, the soldiers seem more confident. They know what's out there, and they're confident that they can kill it now.
   The cadet continues to covertly provide you with guidance, and despite slowing down to carefully inspect even the most slightly suspicious of objects, you're able to keep a good pace.
  Taiya, in an unprecedented move, breaks the silence of your helmet. "How are you doing it?" Her voice is a whisper, despite the fact that she's on a private channel. "I've never seen a bar that effective, so much like it's a part of you... Whe-"
   Whatever she was about to ask is lost as Arbiter Fennec's signal cuts over hers. "Harlequin! We have a serious problem!" Fennec's breathing is heavy, and is channel is laden with static and distortions. "Darts are effective, but a lot of these bastards are wearing, or they can generate, armor!" You can hear sporadic gunfire, yells, and several familiar shrieking roars over the Arbiter's end. "Double time to the rendezvous, we'll be coming in the west entrance. Get there and get ready to scrub us as we come through!
    Taiya flicks through several screens on her pad, charting the distance to your rendezvous against the predictions for Fennec's position and speed. "We can make it ahead of them, barely, if we can manage a constant pace of thirteen miles per hour and encounter no obstructions."

Not an incredible pace for short distances when you weren't carrying anything, but a grueling one for armed and armored soldiers over dim and potentially hostile terrain.

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Allies (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:23:08 am by Draignean »
---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Rolz.org is rigged.
« Reply #8887 on: July 29, 2014, 04:23:08 am »

((Well, if there was a good time to spend my good luck, this was probably it, on the bright side.))

Perk Choices: Two Thirds of the Beast and Inconceivable!

The food in his hands, tempting. Survival, probably more important.

Keeping up the enhanced strength, slide the body of the scientist down the hallway as far as I can as a distraction, then into the vent I go (closing the hatch behind me if possible - if time allows, try the bypass kit), trying to find the way into the ventilation system.

((Also, what's my actual health right now? Am I still devouring the scientist and regaining health, or is my sheet just out of date?

In addition, does Inconceivable! mean that you can choose to screw me over at any one time you wish, any time you wish, or one time you wish per time I've used it to critically succeed?))
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:31:37 am by Harry Baldman »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: July 29, 2014, 06:48:01 am »

"I'll tell you later," Dom replied over the private channel before broadcasting to all. "You heard the man! Pick up the pace, people!" With that, she started moving ahead - faster than a jog, but not a sprint, either. A good pace for covering distance, but hopefully slow enough that she could stop should something jump out at her.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: July 29, 2014, 08:23:39 am »

((Well, if there was a good time to spend my good luck, this was probably it, on the bright side.))

Perk Choices: Two Thirds of the Beast and Inconceivable!

The food in his hands, tempting. Survival, probably more important.

Keeping up the enhanced strength, slide the body of the scientist down the hallway as far as I can as a distraction, then into the vent I go (closing the hatch behind me if possible - if time allows, try the bypass kit), trying to find the way into the ventilation system.

((Also, what's my actual health right now? Am I still devouring the scientist and regaining health, or is my sheet just out of date?

In addition, does Inconceivable! mean that you can choose to screw me over at any one time you wish, any time you wish, or one time you wish per time I've used it to critically succeed?))

((Your sheet is out of date, updated Dom's stamina but forgot to shift your health. Fixed.

One time per time. It's basically the extended, non-combat, version of your other perk. Difference being present so you can't manipulate it to succeed at important things and fail at inconsequential things.))
---

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: July 30, 2014, 07:33:35 am »

((Shit, holding things up again... Sorry...))

"Just stay calm. We can do this. He can be beaten, just keep focused."

Initiate the link up with Tyrin. Once linked, Energy Drain at -4 on the presbyters psionic shield! Use the energy in a -2 surge on him.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: August 11, 2014, 08:29:19 pm »

Dominique Wakeman

"I'll tell you later," Dom replied over the private channel before broadcasting to all. "You heard the man! Pick up the pace, people!" With that, she started moving ahead - faster than a jog, but not a sprint, either. A good pace for covering distance, but hopefully slow enough that she could stop should something jump out at her.

You order your group forwards, trading caution for aggression as you make full haste towards the rendezvous. Fennec's team is in trouble, and, while they may be Technocrat loyalist through and through, they don't deserve to die to a circus of mutated test subjects. Well, they might, but your chances of getting to Jeffrey slim dramatically if half of the armed forces you have are dead.
     [Stamina 18+1] [Taiya Stamina 13+1][Marine Stamina 17][Scientist Stamina 14][Engineer Stamina 4] Most of your group adapts to the hard pace rapidly, military training and bioarmor proving themselves effective. The engineers, however, laden with equipment as they are, show signs of strain almost immediately. They don't slow down, but the exertion is going to cost them.

You keep a fairly steady lope across the pulsing wax, but you're not foolish enough to let your momentum get you killed. [P.Kinetics 19+1] You don't, however, detect any movement ahead of you. Adrenaline brings all of your senses to a peak, including your psychic ones, but nothing stirs in the path ahead besides the subtle vibrations of the wax itself. And yet... Every time you cross an intersection, you could swear you feel faint movement in the darkness. Once or twice you're sure that you feel the outlines of humanoid shapes that keep pace with you, staying just out of the wave of light generated by the soldier's pounding feet. The shapes never manifest, and they never seem to move closer, yet it makes you more than a little uneasy.

You reach the rendezvous area ahead of schedule and without incident. The rendezvous should be an amphitheater for formal address, hearings, and whatever functions of law need to be carried out without moving the offending parties off station. The double doors that should lead inside, however, are clearly damaged. Designed to slide open and shut from the base in a scissoring motion, something huge has been smashed repeated against their metal and polymer surface. The door is dented, and stuck a few inches into the start of the opening scissor. One of the exhausted engineers pounds the door release, but the trickle of station power that's still active is barely enough to make the doors creak. The warps in the metal of seized the mechanism in place, preventing it from sliding back into the wall.
     [Taiya Observation 14 Vs Freak Concealment 6+5] "Contact behind," Taiya says, giving the darkness behind you a sweep of your pistol. "More than three, but not advancing."

(Engineers are exhausted, scientists are fatigued)
(Dom -15 Stamina) (Taiya -25 Stamina) (Marines -20 Stamina) (Scientists -25 Stamina) (Engineers -55 Stamina)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Allies (click to show/hide)

---

Toomas Amk

[Restructuring 16] (-37 health) [Brawl 19+4] You sling the body of the scientist out ahead of you, her corpse leaving a bloody skid mark as she tumbles across the glowing wax. You drop to the wall hatch as soon as she's away prying the small door open with your knife and slipping down below as quickly as possible.
    You slam the hatch back closed behind you [Mechanics 22] and use the tools in the bypass kit to sabotaging the hatch's internal lock. It isn't as solid as if you'd welded it closed, but it should buy you some time without wasting your resources.
    The resonance of the Abomination's constant scream still hammers away at you, but it's easier to bear when separated by an alloy and polymer wall. [Luck 1] That small victory evaporates when you realize that this maintenance section has been cordoned off. A blast iris has closed off the rest of the tunnel, leaving you twenty feet of roaming space between a biological catastrophe that wants nothing more to kill you, and a barely mobile wall that's designed to contain medium sized explosions. There is access to the ventilation, but it looks as if it were designed for drones, not direct human interaction.  Your head and shoulders would fit through, but the rest of you would have to be putty in order to get in.
Worse, the access port is locked down by the same protocol that closed the blast iris.
   Unless you can turn this around, you're looking at a very spacious coffin.

Spoiler: Toomas Amk (click to show/hide)
---

Tyrin, Anna, James

Emphatic link w/ Anna//Let her link up!

Switch to the weapon most suitable at range to fire upon the Presbyter (unsure if its the Kapre or the Broadbeam :x) and aim//fire, if able.

"Just stay calm. We can do this. He can be beaten, just keep focused."

Initiate the link up with Tyrin. Once linked, Energy Drain at -4 on the presbyters psionic shield! Use the energy in a -2 surge on him.
Dammit, James didn't have any real firepower on him and if he didn't have something serious, the bleakman here was just going to punch another hole in him. ...Well, on second thought, James did have something...
Get into cover and create 8 Shrike blades.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

Wigs gives James a quick nod and takes up the position that Jeremiah used to occupy, striking out at the Presbyter with another strong psionic lance. [Blade 8+1-2 (D.Bonus lost, Damage -6)] [Control 2, +35% cost]  (-41 Stamina) The pile shaped blade slams slightly askew into the Presbyter's shield, but the bad angle does not prevent it from striking with devastating force. (Presbyter Shield -74, 5 absorbed)
   The Marshal takes aim again with his heavy cannon, exposing himself only to the degree he needs to line up the shot.
   Hickie remains on his back on the roof, performing self-triage on the hole running through his side. [Medicine 3+1, 20,13,8+1. Luck 4. 50/70] It isn't easy work to patch your own holes, and, with the everyone else occupied in their own task, Hickie is forced to glue himself back together as best he can. 
    James disentangles his hand from Jeremiah and takes the side of the door opposite Amos, priming the peculiar potential that had he'd used to puncture the Wight earlier. [Control 19] (-19 Stamina, Eight shrikes added)
   Tyrin discards the empty railgun and draws the Kapre, sighting only briefly before firing. [Quickshot 13+1-1] [Quickshot 22+1-2] [Finesse 21 Vs Soak  2] [Quickshot 11+1-1] [Luck 14] Three rounds whip through the remaining scraps of fog surrounding the Technocrat, and all connect with a series of bright flashes. The second flash, however, seems to strike a harmonic with the ebb of the first's flash and the beginning of the third, creating a disproportionate ripple in the Presbyter's shield. (Technocrat Shield -12, -55, -10. 15 Absorbed)
    Anna grabs Tyrin in a link, [P.Empathetics 1] (Bonus negated) failing to establish a tandem connection and completely overwhelming the young man's mind as their bodies synchronize. The power gained should, theoretically, be worth the temporary loss of Tyrin's autonomy.  With power of the Stimulant flowing in her veins, and the raw surge of Tyrin's untapped energy burning in her mind, Anna takes the offensive once more. [Energy Drain 21-4] [Presbyter Reflex 11+1] The Presbyter reacts slowly when Anna begins siphoning energy off of his shield, too slowly. (Presbyter Shield -68) (Anna gains 51 points of temporary stamina)  Anna tears into his shield, stealing the strength in order to fuel another attack. [Surge 13+6-2. (No Effect: Immune to Pain. No Effect: Immune to Pain. [Presbyter Soak 15] Woozy negated) Stolen memories coalesce in Anna's mind, their incredible psychic mass becoming a tool rather than a burden as her energy surge takes shape. She knows, as instinctively as though it had been drilled into her for years, that the Presbyter's mindbar is weaker than it should be. What he is does not lend itself well to psychic defense, and if she strikes at just the right points... Anna releases her primed surge, knowing its effect even before she sees the Presbyter recoil. The same trick that lets him ignore his hideous wounds allows him to endure much of the surge's more vicious effects, but the chaotic electric warp is still physically and mentally draining for him to keep at bay. (Presbyter -20 stamina, -20 Health)
    The presbyter shakes his head and snarls at the Unchained, finally losing the calm that he's maintained throughout the battle. "Why can none of you believe in a greater purpose beyond yourselves? Killing me preserves nothing! Defying the Technocracy may destroy everything!" Those fighting the Presbyter cannot help but notice that his psychic voice, while no less earnest than it was when he first spoke, is substantially weaker than it was. [Blade 13+5-4-2] (Presbyter Stamina -30) [Feuer K.Parry 64, not activated] [Feuer I.S 34, activated] [Feuer P.Kinetics 14+2, 80 point shield] (Feuer Shield -16, Armor -13, HP -95, 2 negated) Blood sprays out of the Marshal's back as a massive column of psychic energy tears directly through him, lifting the officer off his feet and depositing him on the fungal soil a good five feet back from where he started. "You must serve or die. Anything else jeopardizes the lives of every other citizen!" [Acceleration Beam 6+5-6] (Presbyter Stamina -20) A small circle of metal by Anna's foot goes white hot for second, then explodes upwards. Considering that the Presbyter shouldn't even be able to see her, the miss is surprisingly narrow.

(Marshal Feuer has been Killed)
(Tyrin is in a subsidiary link, -4 to taking individual actions. Taking individual action may disrupt Anna)

Total Damage Dealt to Presbyter's Shield: 800
Total Stamina Lost by Presbyter: 231
Total Health Lost by Presbyter: 20

Spoiler: James Evan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Anna Withheld (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Allies (click to show/hide)

---

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Stop fighting the inevitable.
« Reply #8892 on: August 11, 2014, 08:54:20 pm »

((what the hell was I doing anyway?))
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: August 12, 2014, 07:15:56 am »

Dom looked at the scientists and engineers. "Squads 1 and 2, form up. Squad 3, work on the door. Alonso, Basilio, take aim at the hostiles but do not fire until I give the command. Taiya, I want you to tell me what you're capable of... unless you want to take the reins and form a plan, in which case I'll tell you my abilities. Either way, I'm going to buy us a little time." She was sure the cadet would know she meant psionic abilities by 'capable of'.

Make a 200 HP wall (counting the difficulty step) that blocks off the corridor so the freaks can't reach us.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:19:07 am by SeriousConcentrate »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: August 12, 2014, 08:34:03 am »

((what the hell was I doing anyway?))

((...

You make me sad.

You're trying to get to the communications array for this station so you can hijack it, find your station, drive to your station, deliver your report, have your mind briefly reabsorbed into the collective intelligence of the motherless, etc.))
---
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 602