Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526567 times)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Killing brain cells and giving guns to Teenagers
« Reply #8670 on: March 13, 2014, 01:24:09 am »

Keep watching, especialy dom
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: March 16, 2014, 12:39:20 am »

((Eep, realized I didn't post an action!))

"I have a feeling that thing you're carrying, any explosives we have, surprise attacks, concentrated fire and quick thinking are going to be how we could win this. We need to hit him hard and with overwhelming power, so that he has to divide his attention between attacking us, defending himself and fixing any damage. He may be powerful but he still has a human mind, which means he won't be able to multitask perfectly and he'll slip up eventually if we keep the pressure on. What do you think sir?"
Tyrin added his opinion to the matter.
"You mean overwhelm the senses? Isn't there any kind of psionic thing which attacks the nervous system directly?"

Inquire!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: March 22, 2014, 12:51:33 am »

Dominique Wakeman and Ashley Fey

Try to let go of it again, in any way needed.

Keep watching, especialy dom

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

Dominique looks at her hand, her glassy eyes focusing momentarily. [A.Kinetics 16+1] A ripple forms between her fingers, a warp in the air that flashes out to connect her to the gibbering man's back. The warp deepens, the curvature bending until it looks as if Dominique is holding a cylinder of spun glass. Then the curvature reverses; the line of warped air exploding in a wave of blazing light and concussive force. (Gibbering man HP -84) (Lieutenant Moore Armor -25, Hp -12, 5 negated) The explosion tears the Gibbering man and the lieutenant apart when it hits, stripping away the majority of the gibbering man's skin and throwing the marine into the wall.
   Lieutenant Moore [Soak 5+1] struggles to stand up, and only barely manages to make it up onto his knees.
   Alonso and Basilio [Luck 14] note your hostility and open fire on the gibbering man synchronously. (Gibbering man -23 HP, -16).  Alonso's burst goes wide, but Basilio tears into Dom's target, blazing new holes into the gibbering man while he's still trying to regenerate from Dominique's attack. The gibbering man stumbles, his flesh twitching as it tries to fill in the fresh rifle holes. His flesh is noticeably translucent now; a greyish gelatin through which you can make out stark white bones and the darker grey masses of pulsing organs. The man mouths something, but the words are lost as his throat falls apart. His stumble turns into a collapse, his body degenerating into a pile of grayish goo.

Within moments, the only thing left of the gibbering man is a broken skeleton lying in a puddle of unidentifiable gray gel.

---

Dominique Wakeman

Your mental state begins improving the minute the energy surge leaves you. You feel cold, shaky, and a simultaneous mixture of concussed and hungover, but you can remember who you are and what you're trying to do. Not the best timing, considering that you just blew up a Technocrat officer.
   Moore manages to regain his feet, which probably means that he'll be fine. Alonso and Basilio are as impassive as ever. The Haz-Rec marines and the support personnel are all looking at you with expressions ranging from wariness to fear. Not exactly unexpected since you just exploded the air using abilities that are probably not what they're used to seeing from technocrat brass. Not that you're used to seeing that kind of an ability either... What you did was unintentional, and probably not repeatable. You note that Ashley joined the group at some point, her purple hair standing out among the grey and black hazard armor.
   "Fall back," Moore growls into the command comms, his voice a mixture of pain and anger. "All units, return to the docks and dig in. Harlequin, you and I are going to have a talk." 

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

---

Ashley Fey

[Observation 14] You observe the tail end of the firefight, paying special attention to Dominique. She seems... injured. There isn't a scratch on her, but they way she looks at things, the way she moves, it's as if she's still recovering from some major trauma. You don't know if that's a natural side effect of that... attack she used, but she's definitely weakened.
   Which is unfortunate, since the strength of her ruse is the only thing capable of keeping you alive now that you're off the ship.

Spoiler:  Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

Toomas Amk

You open your eyes, blinking at the Wax covered ceiling. Sleeping was strange now, unnecessary to the point that some of the others had abandoned the practice entirely, but it still makes you feel... calmer. Even the rising, and completely paranoid, suspicion that there is something sharing your dreams hasn't made you quit quite yet. For now, there is still something to be gained by having a few hours where you can let your mind rest, and too much of a risk in staying awake and keeping your mind in the moment 24/7. You've seen some your fellows slowly descend into madness, losing all humanity along they way. You'd rather avoid that, or at least stave it off as long as possible.
   You swing out of the guard bunk, hitting the wax covered floor with a ripple of light. There was a time when you thought of the Wax as beautiful and strange. Turns out it's easy to get sick of an endless sea of the same beautiful and strange. There are a few others of your kind bunked up here, sleeping for their own reasons. Some, like you, do it to hang on to the little things about humanity. Others do it to escape reality. The latter waste away, aging and dying as they succumb to the allure of dreams. It isn't a bad way to commit suicide, given the limited alternatives for your kind.
   Raised voices from the equipment room get your attention, and you pad slowly over. Once upon a time, you would have thought that breaking out of Technocrat incarceration would have made life easier. You don't hold to that illusion anymore. Sure, the constant torture is gone, but that's been replaced by the threat of madness, the danger of being eaten by a Freak, and the further worry of being killed by a power struggle between former prisoners.
   "What are you suggesting? That we let the refugees fend for themselves, or worse; that we butcher them and have done with it? We aren't animals yet, Murnau, and we have a duty to be better than our captors. That means sparing lives, not taking them." You sigh, stopping before you make it to the door. You recognize Wakeman's voice. The man was something of a minority leader, the speaker for those who still advocated saving as many lives as possible. He led by virtue of being the most vocal, and by being one of the few willing to stand up to Murnau. Murnau himself was... different. Wakeman, like you, had been made into a test subject for political reasons. Murnau had led a mite gang with a rep for careless sabotage, rape, and murder. Now he styled himself as the majority leader of the Cellburners who still remained sane enough to lead. He was forceful, brutal, and didn't tend to think about pure humans beyond breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    "Thing are different, Wakeman. We need to move quickly, and we can't do that carrying a caravan of Freak-bait. You can sit on your high-horse and condemn all you like, but things need to be done if we want to get off this station. I'm going to get things done, and I don't need to discuss them with a pretty-boy who's only a short fall from Tech." Murnau's tone was utterly derisive. The man really only had three emotions; derisive, enraged, and gleefully sadistic. Arguments about the guests/prisoners/refugees/talking MREs were common, and they typically revolved around how they locked the Cellburners into one place and attracted Freaks. Considering that nobody was actually getting off this station in the foreseeable future, the argument was academic. You're about to turn and put some distance between yourself and the argument when Wakeman speaks up again.
    "Yes, Murnau, you'll get things done. If all goes to your plan, we'll all get to the docks and have a nice chat with the Technocrat reclamation team. I think that chat will end rather quickly when they discover that we're all prisoners who killed and ate everyone else on the station. Keeping the fugitives may attract Freaks along the way. Your plan will get us killed."
    "Not if we kill the 'crats first."
   You freeze for a long moment, then slowly turn and walk back to the door that separates the bunks from the equipment room. This didn't sound like the usual philosophic argument. This was real, which meant something had happened. You peer through the transparent section of the door, gauging sides. Wakeman is at the far end of the room, with three other Cellburners. Murnau is closer to you, with five Cellburner's lounging around him.
    Murnau is smirking, his goons exuding the same aura of confidence. He looks flush and young, fresh from feeding. "You underestimate our abilities Wakeman, and you fail to see the advantage that consuming our former captors will give us. They provide enough meat to make us all whole and strong," Murnau said, cocking his head slyly at Wakeman. "Which is something that I think you dearly need."
   Wakeman grunts, but says nothing. Murnau's quip is accurate; Wakeman's face is beginning to line, his body starting to show the signs of accelerated aging.
   "More importantly, when we have taken our fill, the only major source of food left will be the reclamation team," Murnau continued. "You saw the ship that docked, there has to be a platoon on board, and they don't know how to hide."
    You watch as Wakeman sucks in a breath, a pointless and now completely emotional reflex. "You want to lead the Freaks right to them."
    "You'd rather walk into their guns personally? The Technocrats meet the Freaks, the Freaks do what they do best, and our two enemies kill each other to the point that we can mop up whatever is left."
    "Murnau... This is insane. We don't deserve what happened to us. We were made into worse than guinea pigs, but that does not give us the right to murder people who are just doing a job. We can still use the staff as leverage, buy our way off the station." Wakeman's voice is hard, but you catch a current of desperation there as well. He's not on the popular end of this fight and he knows it.
    "Oh yes, there's that option, I wonder why I didn't think of that?" Murnau said, putting his middle finger to his temple in parody of thought. "Oh yes; because it still ends with us under the thumb of the Technocracy. I'm tired of being under them, tired of having to crawl like a bug when they walk by. You may want to go back to being their bitchboy, but I'm ready to be free. And that omelet requires that I break a few eggs."
     Wakeman's hands clench at his side, and the Cellburners with him tense. "I'm not going to let you do this Murnau. Whatever it cost us, we cannot become the murderers that brought us here."
    Murnau throws his head back and laughs. "Become murderers? Wakeman, I've been a murderer for years now. It's really not as bad as you're making it out to be. Besides," he adds, his derisive smiling twisting into something crueler. "What are you going to do to stop me?"

The tension coming from the other room is palpable. If you don't intervene, you'd give it fifty/fifty odds of degenerating into bloody violence. If you do... Your strength added to Murnau's will make the odds completely impossible for Wakeman, and may force him to back down until he can marshal more Burners. Siding with Wakeman will significantly lessen Murnau's advantage, and Murnau isn't one to fight personally unless he's sure he can win. Of course, siding with either will break your current platform of neutrality. Now, with a potential way off the station, siding with anyone early could be very dangerous.
    Of course, 'very dangerous' has been par for the course for a long time now.

Spoiler:  Toomas Amk (click to show/hide)

---

Tyrin Laveros

Tyrin added his opinion to the matter.
"You mean overwhelm the senses? Isn't there any kind of psionic thing which attacks the nervous system directly?"

Inquire!

Feuer nods. "Several, and its a good idea to hit the bastard with them, but he'll undoubtedly expect that kind of attack and be ready to block it. What we're talking about is making his reality confusing, disorienting, and overwhelming. He can block an attack, the worst he can do to reality is close his eyes, hum, and stick his fingers in his ears until we're done killing him." Feuer shrugs. "I'm generally against killing helpless people, but I'm still okay with shooting this 'crat if he takes that route. Not that I expect it to happen."
   [P.Empathetics 13+1] Any further conversation with the Marshal is cut short when you're struck by the sudden and acute realization that you can no longer sense the void region with your mind. The edge is on top of you, and the range of your senses has been cut to a fraction of what it was.
   Feuer looks at your face and grimaces. "It's happening, isn't it? He's closing in?"
   You can only nod.

(You will have to save against the Damping field next round)

Spoiler:  Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)

---

James Evan

James makes some uncomfortable noises for a few seconds.
Try to find out why I'm so itchy

This new group of rebels doesn't seem to need your help at the moment, and, aside from Amos looking at you curiously, you appear to have a moment to yourself. With Tarran apparently stable, you finally have a minute to check out what the hell has gotten under your armor.
    You unbuckle and strip back the majority of the light body armor you're wearing, peeling the bloody fabric of your stolen uniform away from your skin to get a look. What isn't covered in blood or half-scabbed gouge marks from the synthetic looks... irritated. The majority of your skin looks red and puffy, [observation 12] with barely visible traces of white lines showing deeper in your flesh. You search with your fingers for one of the incredibly itchy spots, and you touch something hard and sharp. With a quick flash of stinging pain, you pull it free so that you can get a look at it. It's a shard of amber glass. A very familiar looking shard of amber glass.
    "Jesus..." Amos says, appearing over your shoulder. "Evans, you need a medic. You look like you were thrown to the lions and doused with acid. What the hell happened to you?"   

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

---
Anna Witheld

"I have a feeling that thing you're carrying, any explosives we have, surprise attacks, concentrated fire and quick thinking are going to be how we could win this. We need to hit him hard and with overwhelming power, so that he has to divide his attention between attacking us, defending himself and fixing any damage. He may be powerful but he still has a human mind, which means he won't be able to multitask perfectly and he'll slip up eventually if we keep the pressure on. What do you think sir?"

Feuer shrugs. "I think we've got a chance, and I think that we need to take it. Get set up, we don't have much time and we need to be ready."
  [Talking 14+1] The two of you talk shop about positions and firing waves. Together, you come with a plan of staggered attacks that should hopefully provide the right mixture of distraction and lethality. The only things left to be decided are the exact positioning of the team, and who's going to be 'playing' dead for the trap. Feuer doesn't think you can get away with more than half the team faking dirt naps, and you can't do it with anyone that the Presbyter is likely to see first, but those are the only conditions. If Tyrin is any indication, you have no more than a few minutes to finish making a specific plan of attack.

(Thanks to your tactics, Attacking from a radically different angle, with a different type of weapon, or with a different type of weapon, will yield a stacking -(8/6) to the Presbyter's defenses. Chaining multiple differences will increase the penalty)

Spoiler:  Anna Witheld (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:36:49 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: The Calm Before The Storm
« Reply #8673 on: March 22, 2014, 02:48:56 am »

Negotiating with Technocracy - unthinkable. Neutrality - formerly useful. Wakeman - slightly deluded, weak. Murnau - unpleasant, strong. The path is clear.

Shuffle over to Murnau's side, give Wakeman stern glare. Hope that works.

"Freedom."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: March 22, 2014, 08:41:57 am »

Dom turned to Moore and growled. "What is it?" she asked, going on the offensive to try and buy herself a little time to let her head recover before the lieutenant could get after her, likely with questions she couldn't answer.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: March 22, 2014, 11:50:14 am »

Looking over his wounds and grimacing as he sought for the itchy spots, James replied to Amos rather grimly, eventually seguing into babbling that the others could not possibly understand. "Fought a Technocrat synthetic. Sliced me up, but I sent... him, I think, into a seizure with his own grenades. ...I spared him, but I doubt he's in fighting condition anymore. As for the rest of this, God only remembers what's happened to me. These last few days have been... a blur of basically Hell. Pretty sure some of that might be from the ants, some from the Immortals, some maybe from the brain fung..."
James pulls a small piece of amber glass out of his body.
"Oh. Oh shit."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: March 22, 2014, 12:35:21 pm »

Dom turned to Moore and growled. "What is it?" she asked, going on the offensive to try and buy herself a little time to let her head recover before the lieutenant could get after her, likely with questions she couldn't answer.

"What is it? You know damn well what 'it' is," the lieutenant snarls, walking over to you on legs that look as unsteady as you feel. "My brief included information on a research station that had gone dark, with a possible containment breach for hazardous materials. Quick and simple search, rescue, and reclaim. Nearly invincible cannibalistic lunatics was not part of my package. We're going back to my ship, turning off all records, and getting this straightened out. If that can't happen, I'm going to send a very sincere recommendation that this station be blown to hell. Your orders be damned."

Negotiating with Technocracy - unthinkable. Neutrality - formerly useful. Wakeman - slightly deluded, weak. Murnau - unpleasant, strong. The path is clear.

Shuffle over to Murnau's side, give Wakeman stern glare. Hope that works.

"Freedom."

The attitude in the room changes when you enter, all ten Cellburners watching as you side with Murnau. You only say one word, but it's the only word that really needs to be said. "Freedom."
   Murnau's cruel smile deepens. "Couldn't have said it better myself," he says, clapping you on the shoulder. "You see, Wakeman, this isn't about becoming a 'murderer' or a 'monster', no point in fighting either of those at this point. This is about getting free. You still willing to fight so that you can remain a slave?"
   Wakeman's fists clench at his sides, his jaw locking. He's not a stupid man, and he can do the math. Four against seven is stupid odds, particularly when his group is the least nourished and least inherently vicious. "This isn't over," Wakeman says at last, working his fists loose. "We may have been forced to do a lot of things, but we have choices now. If freedom requires that I betray everything that I believe in, I think I prefer slavery." Wakeman turns after he finishes, walking out of the equipment room with his compatriots trailing.
   "Wakeman," Murnau calls just before the other Cellburners exit. "One piece of free advice from a survivor: grow up. Beliefs, ideals, morals, those are for children who believe that 'moral goodness' every influenced a fly. All that matters in this life are the things you need, and the obstacles you have to remove so that you can take what you need. Don't make yourself an obstacle for me."
   Wakeman stops long enough to listen to Murnau, but doesn't reply before slipping out of the room with his supporters.

Murnau looks at you curiously after Wakeman leaves. "I'm surprised... Toomas, isn't it? Didn't peg you for one to take sides. I take that you've heard the good news?"

Looking over his wounds and grimacing as he sought for the itchy spots, James replied to Amos rather grimly, eventually seguing into babbling that the others could not possibly understand. "Fought a Technocrat synthetic. Sliced me up, but I sent... him, I think, into a seizure with his own grenades. ...I spared him, but I doubt he's in fighting condition anymore. As for the rest of this, God only remembers what's happened to me. These last few days have been... a blur of basically Hell. Pretty sure some of that might be from the ants, some from the Immortals, some maybe from the brain fung..."
James pulls a small piece of amber glass out of his body.
"Oh. Oh shit."

Amos steps forward, looking at the piece of glass you're holding. "Aside from the fact that you probably shouldn't be pulling that shit out of your own chest, what's the problem?"
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:35:30 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: March 22, 2014, 12:53:22 pm »

"I have heard no good news. I would remember. Unless it is the arriving Technocrats."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: March 22, 2014, 12:55:44 pm »

"This glass shard came from a bottle that I was told had a cure for..." James sighed. He really was sounding insane, he bet. "Well, from the technocrat fungus stuff that used to be eating my brain."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: March 22, 2014, 02:58:30 pm »

"This glass shard came from a bottle that I was told had a cure for..." James sighed. He really was sounding insane, he bet. "Well, from the technocrat fungus stuff that used to be eating my brain."

"... Okay," Amos says slowly. The explanation may be insane, but the person who's receiving it happens to be a psionic deviant. Insanity is relative. "Now, I'm no doc, but is it supposed to give you a rash? That seems like a problem if you were intending to drink it or inject it."

"I have heard no good news. I would remember. Unless it is the arriving Technocrats."

"Arriving technocrats indeed. The burners up in the array were able to patch it enough to spot a large technocrat vessel. Couldn't get a lock on what it was due to the interference they couldn't clean up, but the timeline is right for a Recon and Reclaim mission to be sent down. As you heard, we intend to take it." Murnau nods to you, his brief flash of curiosity about you seeming to dim. "You picked a side when you didn't have to, which tells me that you're motivated enough to be of real use. Now, business." Murnau claps his hands together, his sadistic grin returning. "Varic, Chan, Mia, take a look at the guards for the 'refugees' and gather our supporters. Make sure we can do this quick and clean without Wakeman fussing it up."
   Three of Murnau's five Cellburners nod and depart. They may lack something of Murnau's enthusiasm, but they seem obedient enough.
    "Rotter, you're going to be working with me," Murnau continues, earning a grin almost as humorless as his own from the taller of the two remaining Cellburners. "As for you, Toomas, you're going to be working with Rob if you want to play for our team. You're going to hit the surveillance substation and get it marginally operational. I don't give a damn how you do it, but I want some sort of eyes out in the halls by the time you're done. Understand?"

You never spent a lot of time talking to Murnau, not that you spent a lot of time talking to anyone, and he's not what you expected. For someone who led a gang of homeless fugitives in his former life, he seems surprisingly well spoken and controlled. Curious.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:07:12 pm by Draignean »
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: March 22, 2014, 02:59:43 pm »

"You saw what I did. That's why they sent me. Your men can't handle this on their own, and to be honest I can't either. What I did was very draining. Now, together, we are going to clear this place out." Even though she wanted to know what had happened herself, there was no way she was going to risk Moore saying that a Harlequin was here when she knew damn well one hadn't been assigned. "I know you don't like this, lieutenant. I don't either. But we keep going and we eliminate these freaks and we find out what's going on here so we can deliver a full report."

She turned to Ashley. How was she going to work her into this? "As for this, this is an experimental AI that was supposed to be off. I suppose it turned itself on when it heard gunfire and attempted to respond to the threat. It can be of use to us as well. There's a male model on the ship as well but it seems to still be in hibernation." She hoped to God that Moore was buying her lies.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: March 22, 2014, 03:07:09 pm »

Murnau - less unpleasant than thought. Decision - slightly validated. Chances of survival - fluctuating! This is worrying!

"Where will you be? In case Wakeman or other parties interfere with unfavorable numbers. Do you have means of distant communication?"

Once the questions are answered, turn to Rob and probably follow him. Do I happen to know anything about him?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: March 22, 2014, 03:13:15 pm »

"...it probably would have presented a problem, yes. The man who gave it to me was my ally, but... I don't even know. Maybe I was tricked?"

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: March 22, 2014, 04:15:53 pm »

"You saw what I did. That's why they sent me. Your men can't handle this on their own, and to be honest I can't either. What I did was very draining. Now, together, we are going to clear this place out." Even though she wanted to know what had happened herself, there was no way she was going to risk Moore saying that a Harlequin was here when she knew damn well one hadn't been assigned. "I know you don't like this, lieutenant. I don't either. But we keep going and we eliminate these freaks and we find out what's going on here so we can deliver a full report."

She turned to Ashley. How was she going to work her into this? "As for this, this is an experimental AI that was supposed to be off. I suppose it turned itself on when it heard gunfire and attempted to respond to the threat. It can be of use to us as well. There's a male model on the ship as well but it seems to still be in hibernation." She hoped to God that Moore was buying her lies.

[Lie Hidden] Moore stares at you, his expression unreadable beneath his helmet. "My report, Harlequin, is that things are pretty well FUBAR," Moore continues to snarl at you. "I've been at this for a while, and I've seen Kineticists and Wights before, so don't give me any bullshit. I don't care what you can do, or how many of them your Wight can slice, we are going to run out of bullets if there are many more of those things. One of them, unarmed, nearly dragged me to God knows. What if others have the brains to use body armor and guns. Fuck, what if it's just a mob of ten that are equally insane and carrying pipes? We all know our odds of dying in a bed are pretty slim, but I'm not going to let you walk us to the slaughter. If it gets too hot, I will pull the plug."
   Static crackles through the comms as the lieutenant lets out a breath before switching channels. "All squads, re-tool with two flamers to a fire team when you get back to the beachhead. I'm going to get my armor patched, Harlequin, and you're going to join me. And somebody get a sample of that Goddamn glop!"

Murnau - less unpleasant than thought. Decision - slightly validated. Chances of survival - fluctuating! This is worrying!

"Where will you be? In case Wakeman or other parties interfere with unfavorable numbers. Do you have means of distant communication?"

Once the questions are answered, turn to Rob and probably follow him. Do I happen to know anything about him?

Rotter grunts and tosses you a small piece of raw metal and wiring. "Scrapped helmet mic, plate goes right above your ear. Has to touch your head or it won't work. No fuckin' clue why."
    You nod and look at the amputated piece of tech. Bone mic system, designed to transmit vibrations from the plate into your skull, and from there into the bones of your ear. Useful when you don't want to make any actual noise.
   "Signal is still shit thanks to the Wax everywhere, so don't expect to get anything intelligible unless you're close," Murnau says after you pocket the mic. "I don't expect Wakemen will make trouble for you, since you'll be doing him a favor too by getting sensors up, but the Substation's atmospherics aren't part of the military grid. You might have some fun with that problem. Do your job, then meet back in military admin office thirteen." You notice that he fails to answer your question about where he's going to be.

The news that the substation isn't on the military grid is... worrisome. The main reason that the Cellburners stay in the section designed to hold the Station's token military force is that everything, except for the tie-in to the core generator, runs on an independent, and full closed, system. Freaks that had lost all semblance of humanity tended to like air ducts, more circulating particulates, and they'd treat you just like any other large biomass if they sensed you.

"Don't worry the new blood over it, Murnau," Rob cuts in, "I've got a plan to deal with the Freaks. I just need him so I can get through dual control security."

You look at Rob, gauging him. You know that he was a repair technician, before he had an affair with a Technocrat's wife and helped her kill said Technocrat so that they could run away together. His story goes that she got cold feet within a few days of murdering her husband, and turned him in exchange for a sentence that she could serve on earth. Rob found out before the Peacemakers could take him, and used his former lover as a suicide bomb in order to buy himself some time. It worked, killing most of his pursuers, but buying time is a losing battle in the spire cities. He was brought in after another week of running, and sentenced to live out the rest of his life as a scientific test subject.
   You've judged him as emotional, impulsive, reckless, good at what he does, and entirely convinced that any idea of his is a good idea.

(You can keep your action as it is if you'd like)

"...it probably would have presented a problem, yes. The man who gave it to me was my ally, but... I don't even know. Maybe I was tricked?"

"Or it really is medicine, just not the kind you're supposed to get on your skin." Amos looks over to where his officers are talking strategy. "You'll go crazy if you second guess your allies. Though, when we're done here, you really should get that looked at."
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: March 22, 2014, 05:34:47 pm »

"That one merely got the drop on us. We know what we're dealing with now." Dom attempted to wave away his concern. "Once we have flamers we'll deal with the rest of them easily. Now let's go back. That one touched you and I'm not letting you out of my sight until I'm sure he didn't do something to you." That was spur of the moment, but she really didn't want to let him get away from her where he could get to a radio and start running his mouth about things she didn't need him to be saying. If necessary she could try to go over his head with her rank. Fennec might be on her side if she did. She couldn't be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 602