Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526928 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Death of a Thousand Cuts
« Reply #8580 on: January 28, 2014, 11:31:54 am »

Anna shrugged and looked somewhat helplessly at the Marshal. "Well sir, I'm kinda skint on fresh ideas for the moment. Got anything on your end?"

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: January 28, 2014, 01:01:00 pm »

Tyrin gave the Marshall his best confused face-under-control.

"...Heavy. I don't really know, sir. It feels..like a plod. Something like strong, yet slow-encompassing..a large field in size. I'm unsure sir. But whatever it is, it feels empty--I am rather unsure if it is like a wave or just a sensation from some reaction or trigger, sir."

Action1: Maintain focus, try to hone in on that feeling and determine what, in more definite exacts, it may be-in size, strength and nature--am I hurt by feeling it and is it malevolent?

[P.Empathetics 16+1] It's... big, and moving quickly. The dead feeling spreads at the edge of your perception, eating into your ability to sense anything clearly beyond a certain distance. The field is spreading rapidly, as fast as (or perhaps faster than) a calm run. It's difficult to feel the edge of the field clearly, and guessing distances psionically is an imprecise discipline at best, but the encroaching field you sense has a radius of roughly 200 feet and is centered about an approaching point somewhere to the north.
  At it's current speed, it's a matter of minutes before it hits you. You have no idea what being inside a field like that would do to you.

Anna shrugged and looked somewhat helplessly at the Marshal. "Well sir, I'm kinda skint on fresh ideas for the moment. Got anything on your end?"

The Marshal shakes his head. "I had intended to lay low and recover strength before making another push, but if your man is right..." He shakes his head again. "If he's right, then we need to try and finish the job. We are out-classed in ways that you do not yet know, but it's the only way any of us are going to walk out of this alive." Feuer turns away from wigs, facing the still gasping medic. "Hickie, how many stims do we have left?"
   "One shot... sir. Not enough to... get us all back... in the fight," Hickie replies between gasps of air.
   Feuer grunts. "Well, captain, that leaves us with three of ours who are about to keel over, not including you, a couple decent rifles, a soon to be expat Technocrat who we probably should have shot, and our very own readymade shallow grave," the Marshal says, gesturing at the bloody trench. "You think we should demand surrender when the big bad 'crat shows up, or just kill him?"
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: January 28, 2014, 07:34:53 pm »

"Actually quick correction I believe we've minutes to spare instead." Tyrin quickly added. "The field is moving at a...an ordinary run, about that speed. It could cover our area though, and really is somewhere due north. Next, I really doubt that thing discerns friend from foe. I wonder if our Tech-buddy here can help?"

He shuddered involuntarily as he tried to remember that other feeling. "Though I felt...numb. Couldn't sense what was beyond it however. Mhh, Marshall? What if the Presbyter lost?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: January 28, 2014, 11:12:07 pm »

"Shit. Well, at least we have some time to prepare and recover." Anna replied, breathing deeply. "As to what I think we should do? I have no intention of dying so easily and if it is who we think it is, then we need to strike with as much surprise and strength as possible. He may be tough, but he still has his limits, and if we can catch him off guard then we might be able to overwhelm him quickly before he gets the chance to strike back too much. As hopeless as it seems, a bullet to the brain is still a bullet to the brain, no matter how powerful you are.

If possible, we should find other unchained and prepare an ambush with them. The more we have focusing on that incoming threat, the better our odds become, no matter how little they are."

As she slumped over in exhaustion, she looked over at the dead soldiers and then back to Tyrin.

"Well, we had best make the most of what time we have. Tyrin, make an inventory of our new equipment, the state of that armour and how much ammo we have available. We'll divide what weapons and ammo we now have amongst us and I'll get a new suit, since hiding visually isn't going to help right now. I'll try to get my breath back as fast as possible in the mean time, and we can check how injured everyone is.

Sir, perhaps some information on what you suspect we're up against would be good. How exactly are we outclassed? What can we do about it?"

Rest as best as possible. Think over what we could do to stand up to such a threat.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: January 28, 2014, 11:48:40 pm »

He shuddered involuntarily as he tried to remember that other feeling. "Though I felt...numb. Couldn't sense what was beyond it however. Mhh, Marshall? What if the Presbyter lost?"

The Marshal looks at Tyrin. "If the Presbyter lost, well, things would be different. Our Major would be rallying the forces and crushing 'crats with a sledgehammer made out of other dead Technocrats." He purses his lips, his attempt at humor lost even on himself. "I don't believe the Major could have lost, but seeing how things are now... I don't think she's won yet either."

Sir, perhaps some information on what you suspect we're up against would be good. How exactly are we outclassed? What can we do about it?"
   [Anna Gather information 17] The Marshal's face hardens in response to Anna's question. For a moment, it doesn't look like he's going to say anything. Then he looks away and starts giving orders. "Hickie, get the new boy's kit and patch up Wigs. Trade him one of yours so he can work on Laveros when the opportunity presents. Jeremiah, lay down and breathe through your nose. Wigs, see if you can't talk that colonist into doing something besides cower."
   Eventually, his gaze slips back to Anna. "Take a walk with me, captain."
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: January 29, 2014, 01:22:04 am »

Anna wordlessly stands up and walks over to stand next to the Marshall and follows him closely. Once a healthy distance away from the others, she quietly speaks to him.

"I get the feeling that you aren't supposed to tell me anything about this, so I appreciate you doing anything you can to help. If it's as bad as your actions seem to say they are, then rest assured, the only way anyone will know I know is if they pry it out of my brain.

So, with that said, lay out the facts for me. I need to know so I can help keep us alive as best I can."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: January 29, 2014, 01:26:59 pm »

"And they're off-leaving us all together to ponder this out."

Tyrin turned to Damien-who he did not know. "Since you're alive, I guess it'd be best to tell us your name? Much to do, but minutes to spare-and I'm not lying when I literally say minutes before that...thing hits us."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: January 30, 2014, 12:08:32 am »

Anna wordlessly stands up and walks over to stand next to the Marshall and follows him closely. Once a healthy distance away from the others, she quietly speaks to him.

"I get the feeling that you aren't supposed to tell me anything about this, so I appreciate you doing anything you can to help. If it's as bad as your actions seem to say they are, then rest assured, the only way anyone will know I know is if they pry it out of my brain.

So, with that said, lay out the facts for me. I need to know so I can help keep us alive as best I can."

Feuer nods but says nothing. He walks west, away from the still spreading fires. He stops roughly sixty feet from the main group, in the untouched ground between the two colonist structures. You feel a shift in the air around you when he stops, a subtle ripple, and when it's over the sounds of the blaze behind you are garbled and distorted.
   "The Unchained have few secrets, we make that a distinction between the Technocracy and our people, but we are not without them." The Marshal's voice is clear and hard, his eyes never leaving yours. "What I am about to tell you is information reserved to senior officers, and only in this situation do I make this exception. You will never make the same decision on your own. Take what I tell you and hide it where no dear friend or ally can come across it. Bury it in your mind, and use it only when you have need."
  "Most psionics are those like you and myself, our abilities with us since birth. Those who scored properly in academy were shuttled into special programs that would transform them into shackled weapons, those who didn't score well enough in aptitude or obedience... Well, you know the end of that story." Feuer finally breaks his gaze, looking back towards the ragged band of renegades before continuing. "That is what every psionic of the Unchained knows, but it is an incomplete explanation. We, psionics, are not anything close to a natural occurrence in the human race. The Technocracy altered the children of thousands of mothers under the guise of routine maternal screenings. We were all, since before we saw light, earmarked to be test subjects and foot soldiers. What we have kept hidden is that whatever makes us what we are, was brought back to Sol from here, from Eridani. It was bonded to us in a way that I don't even begin to understand, but it made us as biologically different from unaltered human stock as horses are from mules," Feuer's tone is still intent, but there's is an undercurrent of tired loss when he brings up that last point. "We keep this secret to avoid another break in the Unchained. If the common soldier stops thinking of himself as human, then he has very little left to fight for, and the Technocracy's attempts to cage us like animals gain a glimmer of justification. That, however, is simply an aside to the greater issue. The Technocrat gate has been revealed publicly for thirty-six years, though we have evidence that they were using it for five years prior. That means that the gate to Eridani has been operational for forty-one years, at most. Major Caine is forty-four years old." The Marshal stops for a moment, letting that sink in.
    "Those like you and me, modified to be born with the gift, are test subjects. Experiments in how the ability can work in a human being. Those like Major Caine, like the Matriarch, are the earliest prototypes of the project's culmination. They were not born gifted. Their capacity was surgically implanted, arranged to maximize their abilities and allow them to create far greater manifestations with far less effort. They are still human, just upgraded to have the perfected strengths that our kind died to test. We were created to test, they were created to use, and that makes them far, far more dangerous. Technocrats like the presbyter have undergone the refined version of the treatment, making them more than the equal of the strongest of the inborn in terms of raw strength. We are outclassed in this fight because every single one of us was just a stepping stone, a lab rat, and the presbyter has abilities that are the culmination of all of that testing. If the major, the only one of us who could even attempt to be his equal, lost... then things are very bleak, though not quite hopeless."
   "Those who had their abilities added to them after birth can never learn to integrate them into their lives as fully as we have. What comes as naturally to us as breathing takes an effort from them. Not a great deal of effort, but it still requires a conscious action on their part. We can tweak circumstances in our favor without even thinking, the legacy of a mind that grew up with the ability attached. It is a very slim advantage, but the only one that I am sure we have."

---

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: January 30, 2014, 02:10:49 am »

[You can put this on the waitlist, or just ignore it either way. It was fun to make none the less, and I've been meaning to for a while anyhow. I admit to having read "Black Hack" as "Black Hat" for the longest time. It never did change my understanding of it though.]
Spoiler: Van Noble, "Hat" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:13:15 am by Xanmyral »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: January 30, 2014, 02:20:35 am »

((Sorry, Had friends over the last coupple of days))

Check the supplies, and Comm Dominique

"I'm having trouble getting through, can you help in any way?"
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: January 30, 2014, 04:20:22 am »

Anna turned away for a moment and was silent as she thought this new information over, making sure to think over Feuer's personal responses to it. She sighed and turned back to him and gave him a small smile.

"Sir, the fact that you are worrying about not being human makes you more human in my eyes. I can see that it's a bit of a sore point for you, but I just want you to know that I don't think any of us as different from a normal human being and whatever we biologically are, and that includes you."

As she thought about what he said, something occurred to Anna.

"So, what makes us... whatever we are, came from here? Is that why we're here? To find and take this thing from the technocrats? I mean, why would the technocrats even let colonists come and live here in the first place if this is where they get their serious stuff from?

Anyway, getting down to business: You're basically saying that for all the sheer power the Major and others like him have, they cannot do anything passively and without thinking about it? I mean, for example, if the presbyter is focused on kinetically shielding himself then he won't have any defences against energy weapons or a mental attack or something, where as we would still have some form of defence, even if it is minimal? Is the treatment some kind of implant that we can remotely attack or something? Because if we can disable that, then he would be useless.

Otherwise, I am thinking some kind of multipronged ambush to constantly keep him off balance would be best, where he is getting hammered all around with kinetics and guns, then maybe we can throw him for a loop by attacking his mind? I mean, the more ways he has to defend himself, the more his attention is divided, so if we can attack him with ways that he isn't expecting then he won't be able to recover in time for the next strike and if he messes up once then we'll have him. What do you think?"

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: January 30, 2014, 11:24:52 am »

The Marshall seems to ignore your comment about being human. Either you missed your guess, or he's already made as much peace with it as he's going to.  "When I say that what makes us deviant came from 'here', I mean that in the loosest sense. It came from somewhere in Eridani, not necessarily this moon." Feuer sighs and shakes his head. "If we survive this and the major approves, I'll tell you everything I know. For the moment, it's not important."
   "Disabling the implants isn't an option. They're bonded in series along the central nervous system, and disabling them would almost require removing the presbyter's spine. Not that I'm opposed to that, if you have an idea of how to do it."
   "As to the issue of focus, you've got it right. Those like the presbyter must exert some amount of will to mount any kind of defense. This does not, however, prevent them from mounting several different kinds of defense and offense simultaneously. They can create a kinetic shield, attack psionically, and still mount a defense against incoming psionic attack. That amount of splitting is difficult even for them, but I've seen the major do it. A mindbar crafted by one of them is inherently weaker than one of ours, but not by much, and they can throw off psionic injuries much faster than we can."
   "When the Matriarch, the Patriarch, and the Praetors fought and died down to the last two, what they fought was an abomination with these abilities taken to the limit. Some of us will die in this fight, but if even one of us survives the Presbyter, it will be just as much a victory as Cassandra's was." 
---

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: January 30, 2014, 11:30:34 am »

Damien clears his throat. It's not particularly loud, but it is very clear. "Umm... Excuse me." He looks around at the gathered Unchained. "Now, I realize that y'all are have a bit of a moment right now, but I don't particularly appreciate being ignored." He sighs softly and pauses, as if unsure how to continue from this point. "I guess we should start with names. Mine's Swanson. Evan Swanson." Damien reached into his pack and brought out his field surgery kit. "Now, who here needs help?"
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: January 30, 2014, 06:04:27 pm »

Oh God. Something else was approaching, another psionic... and, if this impression were to judge, a psionic far worse than the machine of speed he had just fought. James was horribly wounded. Tarran was unconscious and doing God only knows how badly. They couldn't fight, there was no chance of it- James'd get slaughtered, and then probably Tarran too. James could only hope he could run. And maybe if he couldn't possibly run the way the bleakman was heading, maybe... he could run in a totally different direction. After all, if he could escape the psionic's attention and radius, maybe he could escape. As such, James slung Tarran over his shoulder and tried to get moving.
Pick up Tarran, get him to the top of the ship, move out of the ship, grab him again, and run perpendicular to the path of the bleakman.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: February 02, 2014, 07:49:41 pm »

((Curses didn't see this))
Damien clears his throat. It's not particularly loud, but it is very clear. "Umm... Excuse me." He looks around at the gathered Unchained. "Now, I realize that y'all are have a bit of a moment right now, but I don't particularly appreciate being ignored." He sighs softly and pauses, as if unsure how to continue from this point. "I guess we should start with names. Mine's Swanson. Evan Swanson." Damien reached into his pack and brought out his field surgery kit. "Now, who here needs help?"
Evan, huh? ...
I do like how we all talked and didn't say each other's name-well, except for the Marshall. That's my mistake. Anyway.

"I'm Tin. Tin Levrs." ...Nice. My one opportunity to bluff. And it has to be intentional. Woohoo. Bah, honesty is the best way. "And given that my friend said you're a telepath or whatever-those-are, you do know we're quite...lacking any much time, right? Minutes? Like, not enough to perform any surgery?"

Dear goodness I do not want to be backstabbed by a needle.

"Anyway, we need all the help we can get-do you know any places we can run to for help? Armored cars? Any vehicle inbound?" Tyrin said, still pointing his gun at the man.
There's no way he can pick that up while my allies are busy...recovering.
"Also...you're a technocrat, right? How'd you know how to operate that rifle?"

Me and Fr0stByt3 need to act soon, along with Zako. :P
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 602