Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526927 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Death of a Thousand Cuts
« Reply #8565 on: January 25, 2014, 07:15:58 pm »

"I've been training this on him just incase-and ensuring all possible possibilities are met. Just that you're astute enough to fill in the...holes in some, thanks."

...Ngh? Addendum to probable action of firing an aimed(?) gun at the marksman: Train gun on the alleged technocrat and aim to disarm if any hasty moves are done--put in the [unsure] dice modifier or stuff like that thanks.

"I...just don't want to kill an innocent. It's not that complicated..Also some of us aren't that psionic to know that.."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: January 27, 2014, 12:17:51 am »

"Enough of this," Feuer shouts, his warning tone aimed at Tyrin and Anna in addition to the Technocrat. The Marshal's eyes are hard, and he stares at Damien's raised rifle with an intensity that could start fires. Quite literally. "At this moment, I don't care who you are. You've shot at 'crats, and you're still trying to shoot at 'crats, which is generally something that I'm okay with, but you need to put the gun down for me to even consider taking you alive. Captain Witheld believes you're a Technocrat, and I'm inclined to agree. You're trained military, you're wearing a technocrat uniform with no fatal looking holes in it, and you're wearing a suit of shield armor that might as well have been on goddamn parade duty, so I know you aren't one of us. Now, as to whether we're just going to kill you if you drop that gun, consider it like this," Feuer growls, his voice taking on a dark humor. "Worst case scenario if sensibly decide to drop the gun and deactivate your armor: we put one through your skull. You're dead, but it's quick and clean. Now, best case scenario if you keep holding that gun: we fight. You get shot, bludgeoned, psychically mauled, and generally fucked. In short, we ensure that pain, blood, and terror fill the rest of your life. Both seconds of it." The Marshal's face takes on a rictus smile as he finishes, the expression cruel and pitiless. "So, what's it going to be?"
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: January 27, 2014, 06:40:13 am »

Damien's face takes on a deep scowl, and for a moment it seems like he's going to refuse them outright. Then the moment passes, and Damien sighs deeply and gently places his rifle on the ground. "Well now, I guess I don't have much of a choice now, do I?" He looks around at the assembled Unchained. "Now, I heard y'all talkin' about somebody needin' a medic? 'Cause I got a field surgery kit right here."
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: January 27, 2014, 10:05:52 pm »

Dominique Wakeman

Dominique thought fast, then assumed a commanding tone. "Get up and come with me! I want you to explain to these men exactly what happened," she said, indicating Moore and his team. Maybe she would luck out and he'd follow her orders. If he didn't, though, she would open fire with the shotgun and try to dive out of the way so her allies could shoot too.

[Diplomacy 8 Vs Intuition 4]  The gibbering man nods vigorously, completely oblivious in his all-consuming desire to please you. "Of course, of course," the man whispers as he scrambles to stand with you. "I know what I did. I know I did it. I can tell you it was wrong, and I'm sorry... I was just so, so hungry. I'm sorry..."
   He follows you back to the Lieutenant, constantly uttering apologies for what he did. The more you hear of his apologies, the less you want to hear about what this man did. Despite his constant assurances that he's still sane and not a "Freak", you're fairly certain that the main is operating with a couple screws loose and the rest missing.
   When the gibbering man reaches Moore he immediately begins telling his story from the beginning, or, at least what he thinks of as the beginning. "I did it, I'm not going to deny it anymore. You were right, and I'm so sorry. I was hungry, and I was getting old, and she was just so... ready. I know I was supposed to watch them, to protect them, but there were so many, and I thought that... that it was fair." The man's tone grows desperate and pleading, his eyes trying to dig some kind of approval or vindication out of the matte black masks of the HazRec team. "I had to guard them, and I was starting to grow old. I hadn't eaten in days, and she... she said she wanted to help. I know it was wrong, but I had to eat her. I was going to die! I'm sorry I lied to you, I'm sorry I did it without asking, but I had no choice! You believe me, don't you?"
  The lieutenants gauntlets flex audibly as he forces himself to ease the death grip on his sidearm. You can't see the man's face, but you can feel the edges of his thoughts. A very great part of Moore wants to shoot the gibbering stranger on the grounds that he's an insane cannibal, but there's also... pity. It's strange, you can sense Moore's surface feelings, and the surface feelings of the rest of his team, much more easily than you could Taric's, Tarran's, or even James'. You're not sure whether it's the second round of orientation, or just because these are the first non-deviants you've been around in a long time.
   "Okay," Moore growls slowly, "I think I can understand what you had to do, but what happened before that? What happened here, why were you hungry?"
   [PL Gather Information 12+1 Vs Intuition 19]  The gibbering man looks at the Lieutenant as if seeing him for the first time, his expression transforming from pitiable to furious in moments. "You... I don't know you. Any of you! You're not one of us, I can feel it! NOT ONE OF US!" The gibbering man's volume rises steadily, building into a deafening roar. [Dominque Reflex  7][Moore Reflex 9]
   Neither you nor Moore react in time when the gibbering man's throat expands, bulging grotesquely until the sound of his raging is beyond human. [Howl 13 Vs Moore Soak 1, Dom soak 5+1, Squad 1 Soak 16, Sci Soak 3, Eng Soak 7] [Squad 2 Will 8] Blood flecks the man's scream as the effort necessary to create the sound tears the gibbering man's throat to shreds. (Gibbering man HP -50) Moore catches the full force and direction of the scream, reeling backwards and clutching his helmet in a futile effort to keep the sound out. His squad takes it a little better, but you're caught right next to the screaming... thing. Your ears ring and your eyes water, the howl disorienting you with sheet, impossible, volume. The scientist and the engineer, both of whom are wearing much lighter technical helmets, are affected just as severely despite the distance.

(Moore is Stunned, pending a soak throw and cannot take combat actions. Dominque, Tech Scientist, Tech Engineer are disoriented pending a successful soak throw, and take a -3 penalty to actions requiring coordination or focus.)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

---

Ashley Fey

Take stock, look to see if there are any other routes to where I need to go

You make a quick recheck of the situation, evaluating in light of the fact that your main exit is extraordinarily heavily guarded. [Intuition 13] Well, you have yourselves, a lot of booze, Dominique's I.S, and, importantly, a shuttle. There might be a set of emergency supplies secreted somewhere on the shuttle for unplanned repairs, but you have no idea where that would be. As to other routes, the only way out of the shuttle is through the dock that's currently occupied holding a Technocrat beachhead. At least, as long as the shuttle is still in this dock.

Spoiler:  Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)

---

James Evan

Well, damn. James couldn't kill a man like that. And more importantly, he'd been warned by Iscariot. For now, he had a brief reprieve, and he would use it to check up on the man he'd taken pains to save.
Look around and see if I'm being charged at or something. If not, check up on Tarran.

[Hidden] You don't see anything approaching you, and Iscariot doesn't appear to clarify his warning. [Wight Soak 16] The Technocrat's seizures appear to be getting less severe, and you take that as your cue to high-tail it out of here. He may have begged you for mercy, but it might not be a good idea to count on him extending you the same kindness.
    [Mobility 14-2] Injured as you are, you barely manage to get through the flaming wreckage surrounding the Virtue and clamber back up onto its hull. You make your way to the breach in the hull that leads to engineering with significantly more ease, and drop down to check on Tarran. Now that your concussion has faded into little more than a throbbing headache, you think you can make the climb back out much more easily.
    [Medical 9] Tarran is alive. That's really all you can say for him. You're no doc, and you can't tell whether his condition is stable, degenerating, or on the upswing. [Luck 21] The chest itch that's been plaguing you redoubles, with points of pain gradually resolving across your battered ribs.

[P.Empathetics 18+1] Before you have a chance to do anything else, a wave of... bleakness hits you. You throw it off instinctively, keeping it carefully on the outside of your thoughts, but it's like nothing else you've felt before. It's another psionic, but... you don't have enough experience to judge anything else. They're strong, they don't seem to be friendly, and they're getting closer. That's about all you know.

(Next damping field check, round after next)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

---

Tyrin and Anna

"Feel free to shoot him sir. He's pretty much done for as it is." The collective remarked as the rested.

If the Destroyer isn't dead by the time others have shot at him, he commits suicide by slicing his own throat. Otherwise rest until it's safe to disengage the link, then do so.
Fire.

Jenna..

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

Anna attempts to force the destroyer to cut his throat once more. [Control (Abi) 13+1] [Destroyer Brawl  7] Her control is firmer this time, and the Destroyer obediently draws his combat blade across his throat. (15 x2=30 HP damage) Anna cuts the control link the instant it's clear that the Destroyer isn't going to make it. The death of a controlled entity isn't as bad as a death in a link, but it's still not a pleasant experience. The Destroyer drops to his knees, clutching his slashed throat and looking more surprised than scared.
    Wigs continues to crawl his way out of the ditch, [Mobility 18] slipping out and collapsing behind the cover of the ruined colonist structure.
    Marshal Feuer moves over to support Wigs as soon as the Destroyer is down, kneeling beside the wounded man and helping him get stable.
    Damien takes the shot. [Marksman 7+1-1] The heavy rifle slams another bruise into his shoulder, and the sabot tears a hole in the fire a few feet to the left of the Sniper's position. Slowly, reluctantly, Damien lowers his weapon. He'd hoped to kill the man. Well, no man can have everything he wants.
   The sniper [Mobility 6] flattens down after the near miss, crawling away while trying to present a minimum target profile.
   Tyrin lowers his rifle as the Destroyer dies without his assistance. With the exception of the newcomer who was also shooting Technocrats, there is no one left to kill.

After the Destroyer dies, Anna, Tyrin, and the Marshal, collectively argue with and eventually convince Damien to drop his weapon. It is a negotiation in the loosest sense of the word, and it skirts bloody battle by the width of a sigh.
 [Hidden Roll] With everyone else dead or running, and the shield armored technocrat seeming non-threatening if non-compliant. The three minds brace themselves as one, and dissolve the link together. Their hearts slip out of sync as the link ends, the glorious pool of energy that animated them dissipating. The wave of exhaustion is crushing, but Anna takes it better than the other two. [Psionic Stamina 20] Hickie keeps his feet, barely, but the other Psionic drops down onto all fours, gasping for breath. He'll be fine if he can stay conscious for the next couple minutes.
     [Damien Diplomacy 17+1] Feuer's expression turns into an honest grimace when Damien offers aid, but he nods. "Take your pick of the wounded. But you reach a hand towards a weapon, or threaten any kind of harm, and I will kill you."
    [Feuer Mechanics 4+1] Feuer grabs the Destroyer's discarded helmet and begins rooting around inside of it. After a moment there's a spark and a puff of smoke, and Feuer throws the helmet away, cursing.

[Hidden Rolls] Damien feels something dark and familiar tickling his mind, but, with the damage the other psionic inflicted, he can't quite pinpoint what it is. Tyrin, however, feels the sensation much more acutely. Anna was the stronger psionic when it came to heavy lifting, but Tyrin had his strengths in more... subtle fields. At the borders of his perception, somewhere to the north, he could feel something approaching. It felt... heavy. Bleak and empty.

(Tyrin gets a double action next round)

Spoiler:  Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Anna Witheld (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Damien Smith (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:38:05 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: January 27, 2014, 10:10:45 pm »

((With regard to the temporal shenanigans. Damien's dialogue was contingent on already firing his weapon, which means that Anna's dialogue (and therefore all others) was contingent on the same conditions. So, essentially, all of the dialogue that happened before this turn was partially contingent upon the events of this turn. Hence the partial turn.))
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: January 27, 2014, 10:14:01 pm »

Dom grimaced and fired the shotgun at the man; not aiming anywhere specifically, just going for a general torso shot in the hopes of stunning or downing him. If this guy could do that, she had no idea what he was capable of.

Should've killed the fucker the second I had the chance. Damn it.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: January 27, 2014, 10:22:55 pm »

(Tyrin gets a double action next round)
((And I don't know what to do with it, specifically xD
Argh. I can't see the Marksman. Hmph.
*reads*
...))

Tyrin looked at Anna and gave a quick glance at Damien. "We have to run. I have a bad, bad feeling about staying cooped up here. And by run, I mean south, and by that, I mean I...sense a void coming."

He looked at the Marshall. "We have to run. I have a bad, bad feeling about staying cooped up here. And by run, I mean south, and by that, I mean I...sense a void coming."

Something clicked in his memory. Something he overheard on the snatches on his mind's eye, when he was busy bleeding out in the abdominal cavity.
"The Major is.. north, dueling ...They are flattening anything... the Technocrats have been burning our bacon at every turn."
...you have a goddamn bleeding hole in your stomach."
"Marshall Feuer, sir. What happens if the...officer to our left loses the battle?"
He indicated the Major by gestures. He hoped they would get it-sans the Technocrat.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: January 27, 2014, 10:47:04 pm »

The Marshal looks perplexed for a moment, then his eyes widen. "That's," he stops and shakes his head. "What you're talking about is impossible, and if it did happen, then there isn't any point in running." Feuer stares north through the smoke, his expression unreadable. "There will be nowhere left to run to. How fast is this thing approaching?"
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: January 27, 2014, 10:56:34 pm »

Tyrin gave the Marshall his best confused face-under-control.

"...Heavy. I don't really know, sir. It feels..like a plod. Something like strong, yet slow-encompassing..a large field in size. I'm unsure sir. But whatever it is, it feels empty--I am rather unsure if it is like a wave or just a sensation from some reaction or trigger, sir."

Action1: Maintain focus, try to hone in on that feeling and determine what, in more definite exacts, it may be-in size, strength and nature--am I hurt by feeling it and is it malevolent?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: January 28, 2014, 12:02:24 am »

Tyrin gave the Marshall his best confused face-under-control.

"...Heavy. I don't really know, sir. It feels..like a plod. Something like strong, yet slow-encompassing..a large field in size. I'm unsure sir. But whatever it is, it feels empty--I am rather unsure if it is like a wave or just a sensation from some reaction or trigger, sir."

Action1: Maintain focus, try to hone in on that feeling and determine what, in more definite exacts, it may be-in size, strength and nature--am I hurt by feeling it and is it malevolent?

((We can do this now if you want, considering that you have a free action.))
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: January 28, 2014, 01:32:11 am »

((...That is my free action.
Argh wording. Let it be so!))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: January 28, 2014, 02:18:08 am »

Anna looked over at the exhausted psionics next to her with a small smile. "Sorry guys. I think you can agree that it was needed, but I should definitely work on pacing myself in the future... You guys did great, by the way."

She then looked over at Tyrin and the Marshall and grimaced.

"Sir, I sure hope you got a plan or an idea for this... Maybe we can do something with the technocrat ship to help? Where was it last?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: January 28, 2014, 03:22:37 am »

"I...don't think there are any other ships rather than the gunship, and we all know what happened to that." Tyrin said. However, he had an idea, and whispered to Anna, "Suppose we ask this 'technocrat' for his help, huh? He somehow had the thought to help us, maybe he'll do so again?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: January 28, 2014, 04:30:04 am »

"Yes... Maybe he does know something that could help... I suppose asking couldn't hurt..." Anna quietly replied before turning to the recently captured technocrat.

"You! Do you know anything about what is approaching, or if you have any support or vehicles?"

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: January 28, 2014, 06:20:13 am »

Damien shakes his head. "No, not really. I have a feeling that if someone hadn't gone rooting around willy-nilly in my head, I might be able to actually know what it is. And as for support, that gunship was the only thing I had like that." He shrugs. "Not that I care. Bunch of idiots anyways." He looks at the Marshall. "Who's hurt worst over here?" Wait for an answer, then go over to the indicated man.
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 602