Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527260 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Disease of the Mind
« Reply #8505 on: December 28, 2013, 03:52:43 pm »

Dom looked over at Ashley. "So... you're coming with? If so, remember to call me Ayleen while we're here and not Dom. Things might get pretty tense if my cover is blown." She rubbed at the side of her nose. "Uh, anyway... want me to keep calling you guys by your names, or make something up, or what?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: December 31, 2013, 05:14:56 pm »

((Ookay. Well, I think we've waited long enough for Wolfchild to say something, so we're going to move right along. Turn is going to be later if it's going to be today at all, so here's something shiny to look at until then.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

))

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:21:22 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: December 31, 2013, 07:47:44 pm »

The lower example there would be in line with James' luck, yes.

Nunzillor

« Reply #8508 on: December 31, 2013, 09:48:21 pm »

Cool.  What did you write it in?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: January 01, 2014, 02:16:42 am »

Cool.  What did you write it in?

Visual Basic for Applications. Not a glamorous language, but I'm not actually good enough with anything else to generate a program with sufficient reliability. VBA I've played with for long enough to get it mostly right after a thorough debugging.

The lower example there would be in line with James' luck, yes.

You are actually stunningly hard to kill with ranged weapons when the attacker is within 10RI, and still quite difficult to deal with beyond that range. I used you to stress test a couple things, and, from a full proverbial tank, it took ten troopers each firing a five round burst from a Jormungandr assault rifle simultaneously to bring you down.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: January 01, 2014, 02:53:15 am »

...Holy shit. James' actions may seem thick-headed at times, but having that convert into near invulnerability? Damn

Though you don't need that many bullets to incapacitate someone psychologically :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: January 01, 2014, 10:17:18 am »

Excellent, that'll compensate for my tactical incompetence IC and OOC!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: January 03, 2014, 02:04:07 pm »

James Evan

James frowned, heavily. He didn't have much choice but to try and kill the guy, did he...? Well, he could try otherwise, maybe with a hit to the legs.
Punch the wight, Simone's Song included, in the legs.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

You lunge, jabbing down for a quick strike on the Technocrat's legs. [Melee 5+1-2 Vs Dodge 2+1+4-4] [E.S 22, Triggered] [Brawl 20+1+5] Your fist smashes into the Wight's leg, metal knuckles crushing flesh even before the punchgun triggers. (Wight Armor -3, HP -55*1.1 = 60,  1 negated) [Wight Soak 22+1] Incredibly, though flesh is torn and blood flows freely, the Wight's leg appears to still be functional. It begin to stand, and, if it wasn't trying to kill you, the act of endurance would have been heroic.
   The Wight slashes at you before it's even finished standing, [Melee 9+1+4, 18+1+4 Vs Dodge 14, 3] [Luck 4] [Brawl 1, 19] and the first blade seems to be deflected a hair before it cuts into your face. (Shield -8) The second blade, however, drives into your ribs. (Shield -7, Armor -5, HP -26 1 negated)

(Wight Charge -45)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)

---

Anna and Tyrin

"This is for Jenna and everyone else you cheesy, technocrat b-"

Loose that shot on that sharpshooter.

'Got you, you little bastard. Let's see how you like a taste of that!' the collective Anna thought to themselves in satisfaction, before doing the sensible thing in the situation.

"Enemy psionic in the rear!" The linked psionics reported simultaneously to the Marshal before focusing back on the immediate challenge. It was time to mop these guys up, without ideally having to go into exhaustion, which meant that it was time to get nasty...

The Destroyer will throw aside his main weapon, quickly take off his helmet and commit suicide with his blade.

Wait for the neural feedback to weaken Damien further before hitting him with Shatter Mind! While waiting, use an Override on the fleeing sniper to make him misstep and fall flat on his face. Then use a level 4 Surge (no mod) on the trooper.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

The kineticist turns his borrowed gun on the fleeing sniper, [quickshot 3-1] missing wildly with the new weapon.
   The trooper recovers from his surprise enough to give action to the few brief instructions that basic training gave him to handle this situation; Point your gun at the enemy, switch to full-auto, then pull the trigger and pray. [Fire Control 21+1+1 (-2 for wigs and Feuer), 48% of rounds hit (42% for Wigs and Feur), 12 rounds hit the destroyer, 6 rounds hit Wigs, 3 rounds hit Feuer] The trooper's aim is good, and rounds slam into the enslaved Destroyer, Wigs, and even the Marshal. (Destroyer Armor -5, -4, -11, -2, -11, -4, -8, -2, -4, -4, -5, -8.  60 negated) [Wigs I.S 61, no shield] (Wigs Armor -9, -6, -4, -3, -2, -2. HP -4, -1, -3, -9, -11, -12.   12 Negated) [Feuer I.S 96, no shield] (Armor -4, -6, -12. 12 Negated)  Bullets scar the Destroyer's heavy armor, but fail to penetrate the reinforced ceramic and steel. Wigs, however, is a far softer target. Bullets tear through his already weakened armor, bringing him bloodily to the ground. He's not dead yet, but he's getting there. Feuer takes a couple rounds, but the battered armor he's wearing absorbs the punishment.
    The Destroyer struggles with his own body [Will 13 Vs Anna P.Empathetics 2+1+1], and manages to successfully wrest control of his mind away from Anna's collective will.
    The Marshal drops the disruptive field that he's been maintaining, and throws his energy into a psionic attack. [Razor Bloom 18-4+2] [Control 1, +35% cost] [A.K 18+2] (Feuer Stamina -33) A bloom of psionic energy erupts from the Technocrat sharpshooter, tearing into both the destroyer and the trooper. (Destroyer Armor -5, Hp -41. 1 negated) (Sharpshooter Armor -9, HP -34. 2 negated) (Trooper 2 Armor -9, HP -45. 2 negated) Fine wires of psionic energy blaze as they burn through armor and cut flesh, sending the three effected Technocrats staggering away from the origin.
    Faced with a rather untenable situation, Damien changes tack. He raises his pistol, points it at the fleeing sniper's back, and pulls the trigger. [Quickshot 12] The soldier staggers as heavy slug smashes into his armor, but keeps going. (Sniper Armor -23, HP -7, 5 Negated)  [Diplomacy 14+2+1] Feuer locks eyes with Damien, and gives a very bare nod. It's not a friendly nod, but it acknowledges that Damien just shot a Technocrat soldier.
   The threefold Anna, however, is in somewhat less of a live and let live mood. [Shatter Mind 22+1+1+2, Mindbar Penetrated][Control  8+1] (-16 Stamina) (Damien Will -5) She tears through Damien's psychic barriers and attacks his mind, crippling his psionic ability and clouding his will with a single massive surge of energy. [Override  17+1+1-2] [Control 1, Cost +35%] (-14 Stamina) [Sniper Mobility 18+1-3] The sniper's legs jerk, but the soldier keeps his feet and keeps running. [Surge 22+1+1, Two effects, Woozy, Woozy] [Control 5+1, +10%)] (-20 Stamina) The trooper reels from the attack, the empathetic surge tearing his already tired mind apart. (Trooper Health -8, Stamina -8)
   The Technocrat Sniper [Morale 7] keeps running, [Mobility 16+1-3] making good time despite his mental injuries.
   Tyrin pulls the trigger, [Marksman 20+1] striking the Sharpshooter dead in the chest. (Sharpshooter Armor -16, HP -20. 4 Negated. dead) The soldier's armor explodes where the beam strikes, plating turning to plasma in an instant and burning a hole through the sharpshooter's chest.

Spoiler:  Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Anna Witheld (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Damien Smith (click to show/hide)

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dom nodded before realizing the man couldn't see her over the radio. "Noted. I'm docking now. We'll speak again in person." Dom deactivated the com system and addressed Emily next. "Emily, take us in to 3B, please." Now all that was left was waiting to move out...

Your shuttle docks with Teras station half a minute after your conversation with Moore ends. You wait by the shuttle doors as the locks cycle, Alonso and Basilio flanking you. A first impression of strength is a good thing, particularly if the odds are as stacked against you as Moore described.
    The shuttle doors open automatically when the pressure between your shuttle and Teras station normalizes, revealing the retractable bridge that links the two. You step forwards calmly and carefully, trying to keep your false face serene in spite of the fact that the only thing separating you from hard vacuum can be detached and breached without warning.
    The door at the other end of the bridge opens for you as you approach, letting you step through into the receiving bay. It’s a large room, designed to run cargo and personnel for five docking ports. It's pretty busy right now.  A half-dozen soldiers appear to be working with scientists to set up a field medical station in the center of the bay. More are setting up barricades and firing positions, all turned to face a group of engineers that are cutting through a pair of blast doors in the opposite wall. More individuals come and go in a steady stream from the pair of docking ports that service Moore’s ship. A number of soldiers look at you as you enter, but they go back to their work after one glance. You’re a Harlequin, and they’ve been told you were coming.
     A short man, barely your own height, detaches from the group setting up the medical equipment and strides toward you. He’s not wearing his helmet, but there are bars of rank on the shoulder plates of his armor. This is the Lieutenant, but he’s not exactly what you expected. He’s mostly bald, and the half tonsure of hair he has left is mostly gray. Has a sharp nose, a bony face, and appears to have only one eyebrow. A heavy knot of scar tissue where the missing hair should be suggests the condition is permanent. If it were not for his eyes, he would have looked comical. He has eyes the color of ice, and they look at you just as warmly. He is the smallest man in the room, and, with exception of a few of the scientists, the oldest, but his eyes leave no doubt of his command.
     “Harlequin Ayveen, welcome to Teras station,” he says as he approaches your dock. “I am Lieutenant Nathan Moore.” There isn’t any insolence in the man’s tone, but there isn’t any great respect either. Despite the fact that you outrank him, he’s treating you as though he were your equal. “Engineers are almost through the door, and medical will have triage facilities set up shortly thereafter. Fortifications are being prepared as a precautionary measure. Now that those details are out of the way, I can introduce you to my officers. Unless, of course, you have something you want to add to your earlier statements regarding this mission,” he adds pointedly.
     You notice that he pays very little attention to the Immortals. Evidently he’s seen soldiers like them before, and he isn’t afraid of them. You don’t know if that speaks for his bravery, skill, or stupidity.

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

---

Ashley Fey

Ashley sighs in relief good they bought it

"although walking into the situation that seems to exist there is going to make this harder"

Prepare to dock

You wait for the shuttle to dock, and then you sit tight inside. In some ways a problem on board the station makes your life easier, but if the trooper numbers that the Lieutenant relayed to Dominique are accurate, it also means that there’s a force out there that’s quite capable of tearing Harry and yourself apart. You need a plan… Dominique may have been given a cover to get her through the Technocrats, but you have no such luxury. Your hair and eyes already mark you as deviant, and that’s a very bad thing in this crowd.
    Dominique leaves the shuttle with her Immortals, leaving you and Harry as the sole occupants of the shuttle. In your favor, you have a shuttle, Dom’s makeup kit, Harry, and a vast quantity of booze. Against you there is a full platoon of Technocrats, and a station full of unknown something that may or may not have killed everyone aboard.
    The booze may be an important part of this plan.

Spoiler:  Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:31:42 am by Draignean »
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 3: Death of a Thousand Cuts
« Reply #8513 on: January 03, 2014, 02:25:18 pm »

Mindbar is currently undergoing rule changes. The short version is that it now adjust the rollover number necessary to succeed on an empathetic attack based on the defender's skill with empathetics, willpower, and current stamina.

Marksman and aiming will be tweaked soon.
---

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: January 04, 2014, 03:05:03 am »

((I'm seeing that there's still an open spot, when will the player for it be chosen? At the end of this mission? At the end of the chapter? Just curious.))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: January 04, 2014, 03:23:45 am »

[From what I remember, it's a 'only if needed' slot. So if people are in a bad position, someone will get picked and sent to bail them out. He should probably add that clause by the empty slot really.]

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: January 04, 2014, 03:30:41 am »

((Ah, awesome. OI YOU PLAYERS. FUCK UP AND FALL INTO DEEP SHIT SO ONE OF US WAITLISTERS CAN PLAY!))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: January 04, 2014, 08:14:00 am »

((Ouch! Shatter Mind is NASTY. That just put Damien's psionics out of the fight in one go, right through his mindbar. Daaaaaamnnnn...

Also, dat roll. :o))

"The heavy is loose! Finish him quickly! Tyrin, if you're going to do something special, NOW is the time!" The collective Anna shouted as they prepared one final barrage of attacks. Hopefully this would be the last needed, as they were reaching their limits.

Use Control on the Destroyer and force him to drop his weapon, followed up by Energy Draining some of the surrounding fires with -4 for brakes and unleashing the stored power into a Surge on the Destroyer, no matter if he's under control or not. If I cannot get at least level 3 with the stored energy, supply enough to make up for the cost from my own personal stamina.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: January 04, 2014, 11:24:33 am »

[From what I remember, it's a 'only if needed' slot. So if people are in a bad position, someone will get picked and sent to bail them out. He should probably add that clause by the empty slot really.]

((Or if I have special plans for it. Or if I see a character I REALLY like. Or I decide that I need to give Serious a partner more responsive than Wolf. Or it helps me keep things moving. Or or or or or.

It may come into play soon.))
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: January 04, 2014, 12:18:16 pm »

Dom quickly glanced over the man's face and took it in. Huh. Looks like a veteran. Must be used to Immortals or something, didn't even flinch when he saw 'em. Jesus. I wonder if Harlequins have like personality quirks or something to set them apart from everyone else, and if I could use that to explain why I'm running with two of these things. She felt endlessly out of her depth. "These are my personal guard, Alonso and Basilio." She pointed them out with a thumb over her shoulder. "Now that you've met my soldiers, it is time to meet yours. And a question. What are you expecting on the other side of this door?" Dom indicated the one the engineers were working on.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 602