Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 528220 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: And then it exploded.
« Reply #8055 on: August 08, 2013, 10:10:12 pm »

Anna held up a hand, palm forward, towards the two families in a gesture of peace.

"Relax, I'm not going to do anything to any of you. I just need to move past you to check the other side of the building through the doors and windows."

((No windows. Those are denoted by + signs. Pretty much all metal buildings in a small colony like this would have been made from cannibalized parts of the colonizer itself. Hence, no windows on metal buildings as a rule of thumb.))

"Like hell you are," the leader of the colonists growls. "You can leave the way you came, but I'm not going to let you waltz through here. Get out, and take your war with you."
 [Intuition 13] There's something distinctly odd about the way he's acting, but, in the heat of the moment, you can't quite put your finger on it.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: August 09, 2013, 12:42:31 am »

"Listen, I'm not trying to hurt any of you, but if we don't figure out a way to deal with those technocrats then we're all dead. Or worse. I just need to check what's happening on the other side of this building and that's it. I swear."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: August 09, 2013, 01:43:42 pm »

"The woman's right. She--and in that way, we--are not trying or have any note on hurting any of you. See, we've worked amongst you all for years, and yet you worry only now."

Tyrin looked at the man who first pointed a gun at him. "See, fear is another factor. You say you were all afraid to shoot me because I would retaliate and kill a few of you. Lose-lose. Guess what happened when you didn't: is anyone dead now?"

He raised an eyebrow in response for the expected revelation. "We can take our war with us, as you please, and I'd be loathe to harm the families we'd be collateral to, but if we don't end this now, there's no saying they wouldn't."

Diplomacy/convince the people to be on our side! Or at least remain at cordial relations with them.

Also, check for motive/lying.

"Tell me, do any of you really want to kill us?"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: August 09, 2013, 04:07:48 pm »

(...aaand now it officially seems to be PvP for me. Goddamnit. >.<)

Dom wavered for a second. Did Ashley go through red maintenance, or did she just open the door to throw her off the trail? Likely the former; she hadn't had that long to run away, she felt. But still... "Alonso, search Section A. Basilio, search Section B. Both of you, if you spot Ashley, shoot to kill her and contact me for back up. Also, stay alert as I may need to contact you for back-up if I find her first," she ordered as she moved for red maintenance. She didn't know all of the cyborg's capabilities or even much of how she would react in many situations... who knew how cunning she was? Or how far she had planned ahead? Dom sighed and pushed forward...

Enter Red Maintenance, attempt kinetic sonar again.

(Can't remember when it last was that I was trying that. Chasing Shiren, maybe?)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: August 09, 2013, 05:41:21 pm »

James kind of just writhed on the ground, trying to regain any conscious thought.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: August 09, 2013, 06:02:17 pm »

Yea pvp is not my favorite passtime, but needs must. What this means however is that we are now no longer playing a game on the same side as eachother, because while we are in eachother's games, this is the only game where we are both players
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: August 09, 2013, 06:41:05 pm »

"The woman's right. She--and in that way, we--are not trying or have any note on hurting any of you. See, we've worked amongst you all for years, and yet you worry only now."

Tyrin looked at the man who first pointed a gun at him. "See, fear is another factor. You say you were all afraid to shoot me because I would retaliate and kill a few of you. Lose-lose. Guess what happened when you didn't: is anyone dead now?"

He raised an eyebrow in response for the expected revelation. "We can take our war with us, as you please, and I'd be loathe to harm the families we'd be collateral to, but if we don't end this now, there's no saying they wouldn't."

Diplomacy/convince the people to be on our side! Or at least remain at cordial relations with them.

Also, check for motive/lying.

"Tell me, do any of you really want to kill us?"

[Diplomacy 7+1] "No, we aren't dead now, kid, but what happens when the Technocrats see we aided you? They won't split hairs over the details of 'aiding' and 'not hindering'." The leader of the colonists glances over to where his family is huddled. "They'll convict us of treasonous acts, execute some of us, then let the others live out the rest of their days in misery on the most godforsaken rock they can find. We fight you, we lose. We help you, we lose. You walk away, we break even. Those are the odds I see." His gaze leaves his family and returns to Tyrin, his resolve clearly freshened.
     "As for wanting to kill you, your corpses would do a lot to convince the 'Crats that we were never part of any group that helped a rebellion." [Detect Lie 17] There are weird holes in his argument. He claims to be trying to protect the lives of his people, and yet he seems to be getting ready for a confrontation with you. The way you see this, the smart thing for him to do would be to pretend he never saw you. It might not stop a probing Technocrat psychic, but it would save lives in the here and now. If there's nobody here to see him aid you, what immediate difference would it make? 

((Everyone else is here. You can have one more round of dialogue (or two if I feel it necessary), then it's action time.))

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: August 09, 2013, 08:24:58 pm »

"Alright, that's it."

Tyrin quickly shifted his hand towards the grip of his pistol, keeping his eye on the armed colonists and their reaction. Since he wasn't filled with lead at the moment of contact, he drew it out slowly, not breaking eye contact with the leader and flipped it in such a way that the grip was facing the man.

"Your notion of peace is sincere. Protecting your family is the most honorable thing a father can do, but backing it up with, and forgive me for this, illogical threats isn't helping. You see we're a problem to you, and we see they're a problem to you. So I want to settle this in the best way possible."

He lowered the firearm and shoved it along the ground towards the man.

"Just help us three get out, and we never saw each other. While it would sate your anger to just kill us here, we'd act in turn on self-defense. We aren't the enemy here, just.." his eyes shifted to the children and he felt his voice falter for that moment, "-...just so you know.

"If they can't see you aiding us, then there's no downfall. If you fear aiding us will bring you into contempt, then just leave us be. But people are dying, and I would hate it to see my best friends d-..well, you know what I mean."

Pacify, hopefully. Activate Suggestion and Emotion Sense in Passive Empathetics(? - is this considered a passive thing when you roll or should I state it?)

Oh, and try to sway them to help us in the meantime. And that gun was intentionally given as a gesture towards him.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: August 09, 2013, 09:34:48 pm »

Pacify, hopefully. Activate Suggestion and Emotion Sense in Passive Empathetics(? - is this considered a passive thing when you roll or should I state it?)

((They are always on, for now. Once I get around to implementing abilities globally you may have to buy them, but for now I consider them automatically. Too much of a pain in the ass for you to have to say it every round you might need it.))

((Now it's all on Zako/Anna's forthcoming action. Will she support Tyrin's heroic and foolhardy attempt to win the hearts of the colonists? Will James ever stop having things happen to his head? Will Dominique beat the cyborg menace? Find out in the next... Deviation 22.))
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: August 09, 2013, 09:35:39 pm »

Will she support Tyrin's heroic and foolhardy attempt to win the hearts of the colonists?
((Oh you. XD

I love that hang-on.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: August 09, 2013, 10:28:24 pm »

The gun slid across the floor towards the colonists... And was promptly stopped by Anna's boot as she stepped on it. She sighed and shook her head. This was the reason that Tyrin wasn't supposed to be one of the heads of diplomacy. He was just too idealistic and rash in trying to get people to his side.

"Ok, let's all get a grip here. Tyrin, you're being overly emotional about this but that's kind of expected when being shot at. Get a grip on yourself.

Sir, I'm not asking you to fight for us, help us or even acknowledge us right now. You and your families can keep hiding out of sight and we won't have a problem about that. All I just want from you is for you to turn a blind eye and say you never met us in this building since you were all hiding from the gunfire. It's that simple and easy. If you need to, you can even say that we threatened you to let us pass if the technocrats start pushing on you and they would believe you.

All I want is to walk past you, then head back to my team and we'll be out of your hair. That's it. If you let me do this, we won't come back to bother you. I promise. What do you say?"

Time for diplomacy and a little mental pressure with my powers to help him see things reasonably. If he says ok, head right past him and check the other side of the building for doors or windows, and then peek outside to get a look on what's going on. If he says no, then head back to the others and put some fire on the closest obvious trooper with the light rifle. Make sure to slide Tyrin's pistol back to him before either of these.

((Dude, you just got shut down! Anna is NOT as idealistic or openly emotional as Tyrin, which is why she's in the diplomacy and social business. Poor Tyrin is just making a mess in her eyes. Sorry dude.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: August 09, 2013, 10:31:59 pm »

((I don't mind and fully understand the personalities of our characters may clash at times.

That's why I love RP'ing with you guys. :P Because you make it reasonable.

...Err, modifying this post later. Going off to work
. I believe that was being shut down by a good leader. :P))

"R-right." Tyrin said lightly, glad that he had something to turn his eyes and hands to--Jenna's health was one thing, and he made sure her aid was alright. His palms were sweaty and tingles spread about his body as his thoughts muddled through what Jenna said.

That's why she's our leader. That's why she's the figurehead. Do better than that..

Continue past action of hoping the colonists would be swayed to reason.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:51:44 am by Tiruin »

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: August 10, 2013, 02:04:44 pm »

And here I thought there was nothing interesting left on B12, nostalgia hit me a few weeks too late apparently  :P
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: August 11, 2013, 12:50:45 am »

James Evan

James kind of just writhed on the ground, trying to regain any conscious thought.

[Soak 14+1] The pulsing in your brain recedes slightly. Moving your head quickly still makes you feel sick, but you have enough of cognitive functions back that you're capable understanding what's happening around you. This leads you to the realization that your cognitive functions have also been restored enough to feel panic.
   "EARTH. TO. JAMES!" Hoke yells without looking up from his work. "Where the fuck is Tarran?"

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

---

Tyrin and Anna

Time for diplomacy and a little mental pressure with my powers to help him see things reasonably. If he says ok, head right past him and check the other side of the building for doors or windows, and then peek outside to get a look on what's going on. If he says no, then head back to the others and put some fire on the closest obvious trooper with the light rifle. Make sure to slide Tyrin's pistol back to him before either of these.

Continue past action of hoping the colonists would be swayed to reason.
Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

[Trooper soak 9] The collapsed trooper remains unconscious, but he begins to recover from Anna's psychic attack.
   The sharpshooter sits tight and continues to actively call up reinforcements. [Hidden Roll]
   The nearest trooper, lacking the ammunition to run another full automatic sweep, fires a burst into the corner Jenna is hiding behind. [Quickshot 19-1-3+1] [Fire Control 1] [Weapon Stability 8+1] The first bullet clips Jenna's exposed shoulder (Armor -3, HP -8 (1 damage negates), but the Trooper's rifle jams badly as it chambers the next round.
   Jenna, despite being hurt pretty badly, keeps the pressure on the trooper. [Quickshot 17-1-3, 1 shot at full power, 3 shots at -1 power, 1 shot at -2 power] (Armor -4, -3, -3, -2, -2  Hp -17, -7, -5, -7, -1) The trooper screams in pain as Jenna's lasers sear his flesh. His weapon is jammed, his armor his burned to near uselessness, and he seems to be on the losing end of a gunfight. Retreating until the reinforcements arrive seems like a good idea. 
   Tyrin makes a valiant (and foolish) attempt to win over the colonists, but Anna puts a very pragmatic end to it. Officially ousted from diplomacy, Tyrin turns back to support Jenna [p.empathetics 6+1]. She's gotten herself hurt again, and there's only so much good that bandaging can do.
   Anna, meanwhile, takes over negotiations. [Diplomacy 22+1] [P.Empathetics  12+1] It's always difficult to pull off a gentle empathetic push, and harder still to tell if its actually doing anything, but Anna never really needed it here. There's something in her quiet, matter-of-fact assessment of the situation that does more to the colonist than Tyrin's youthful passion. He closes his eyes and shakes his head. When he looks at Anna again his expression is torn and his eyes are wet. "I can't..." he whispers quietly, glancing again to where his family his huddled. It's not a lot of warning, but it's enough for Anna to avoid being caught completely flat footed by the psionic's attack.
   The older woman huddled with the unarmed colonists tenses, and both Tyrin and Anna are hit with heavy psionic assaults. [Technocrat Manipulator Surge 15-1-1-2+2 Vs Anna P.Empathetics 5. Two effects, Severe Pain, Double effect {Nothing, Nothing}] [Control 1, Cost increased 20%] (Manipulator -30 stamina)  [Technocrat Manipulator Slam 20-1-1-2+1, Tyrin No Save Due To Surprise] [Control 1, Cost increased 20%] (Manipulator -30 stamina) The fleeting warning the colonist gave Anna isn't enough. [Anna soak 2] Pain overwhelms Anna, a feeling like every bone in her body is being bent to the point of splintering inside her flesh. (Anna stamina -20 [3]) Tyrin, meanwhile, is slammed against the far wall of the building. (Armor -9, 8 Negated).

The older woman's face shifts subtly. The family resemblance that connected her to the other colonists disappears, her hair darkens, and her eyes turn icy blue. "Boris," she purrs, "I honestly thought better of you than that. Did your really think these ragtag fools could stand a chance?" She sighs, feigning reluctance. "I made the terms of our arrangement perfectly clear, and now I have to waste a bullet culling another member of your family."
  The leader of the colonists lowers his gun, his eyes pleading. "No, please, I didn't say anything. I was just weak-"
  "Yes," The technocrat says simply. "You are weak." The Technocrat grabs the hair of the teenage girl beside her and twists her head back. The girl squeals and struggles to get away, but the psionic casually punches her in the throat. An act that triggers the high caliber pistol concealed in her right sleeve.
  "NO!" The leader of the colonist screams as his daughter falls, bringing his pistol to bear on the Technocrat.
   The woman, however, expected this. In the time it takes for him to swing his pistol up and around, she disentangles her left hand from the dead girl's hair and snags the youngest girl by the throat. "Careful now, haven't enough lives been lost?" The Technocrat smiles in bloody glee, her tone more than mocking.
   [Colonist Leader Morale 12+2-4] [Armed Colonist Morale 4-4] [Armed Colonist Morale 2-4] [Armed Colonist Morale 4-4] [Armed Colonist Morale 12-4] The act clearly breaks the will of the remaining colonists. The father of the dead child lowers his gun and takes the rifle out of the hands of his son, his body wracked with a mixture of sobs and snarls. The other two adults simply seem to deflate, giving up all hope. The two armed teenagers simply stare in shock, unable and unwilling to believe what just happened was real.
    The Technocrat beams at the colonists, then turns her attention to Anna. "Now, how do you want to do this? You can surrender now, or you can surrender after I've broken your mind and tortured your companions to death. Your choice."
    Anna's mind is hazy with pain, but she recognizes the woman now. The presbyter's personal secretary. A woman who'd been written off as nothing more dangerous than a private assistant for a corrupt Technocrat's privates. A mistake, and one that will cost dearly.

Spoiler:  Enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Tyrin Laveros (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Anna Witheld (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

---

Dominique Wakeman

Enter Red Maintenance, attempt kinetic sonar again.

You split your flying monkeys up, sending one into each of the other maintenance sections. Thankfully, even their stripped minds are able to process the simple orders without issue. Ashley will probably be able to kill any one of them alone, but the sound of the firefight should pinpoint her location for you. You watch to make sure the immortals are actually following your orders, then jog over to the red maintenance door and open it the rest of the way.
   You slip through into the red maintenance section. Within spitting distance of the maintenance hub, Red maintenance isn't so bad. The air is barely caustic and it hardly smells at all of heavy metals. [A. Kinetics 16+1] You push your mind out ahead of you, feeling along the hallways with invisible hands. The corridors branch and re-branch, moving through a maze of replaceable parts and maintenance panels, but the only motion you detect is repetitive and mechanical. Oddly, you feel something stir behind you.
   You turn around just in time to see the heavy red maintenance door slide shut.
   Should've trusted the more paranoid instincts.

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

---

Ashley Fey

You wait in the maintenance locker, smelling year-old unwashed worksuit and trying to breath as shallowly as you can. Which, considering your anatomy, is pretty shallow. Dominique displays surprising control of the Immortals that follow her, ordering them to search the different sections of maintenance. You have no idea how she got into this mess, but she certainly doesn't seem to be on your side. Though, honestly, you don't know if she's really on the Father's side either.
   You relax slightly when Dominique goes into red maintenance. It has the strongest door, and the best chance of keeping her contained until you can figure out what to do. As soon as she's all the way in, you pulse a brief signal into the maintenance door systems. The heavy door responds immediately, closing and locking before Dominique can do more than turn around. You sigh in relief and step out of the locker. Jordan Grey did his wiring work well, you'll have to buy him a drink when he gets born out again. Assuming, of course, that you ever make it back to the conclave.

((You're up. Feel free to use all the systems I described to you by PM. Map is also in your inbox.))

Spoiler:  Ashley Fey (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:34:31 am by Draignean »
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Good Job Breaking It, Hero
« Reply #8069 on: August 11, 2013, 01:10:02 am »

And here I thought there was nothing interesting left on B12, nostalgia hit me a few weeks too late apparently  :P

Sorry, Ahra. Aaron has a part to play still, but it's an NPC part.

Feel free to get back on the waitlist. I'm not going by first come-first served anymore, so you may not have to wait however long it takes before I kill someone.
---
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 602