Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527635 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Way to take a hint.
« Reply #7860 on: January 25, 2013, 02:43:39 am »

Depends who's the recipiant :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: January 26, 2013, 02:29:25 am »

"Well then mister... suitthing, lead the way to our ride please."

Follow the Immortal to the shuttle.

"... you realise we have gone up over 10 floors of devilry, and lost the security guy on our first floor, and everyone wants to get out,
I would be over-damn-joyed to get a ride out Mr."

AAANNDDD you two are done. Ish. Tarran is done. Ahris is Ish.

Now we've got James, who, as luck would have it, has been abandoned by Tarran without so much as an attempt at contact. I don't think Tarran would be given command of a wet sponge if he gave an honest debrief to the Unchained at this point.

Anyway, to the James.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: January 26, 2013, 02:38:18 am »

James, now a bit stunned, stares at the Immortal for several seconds before: "...Guide me where?" James probably would have figured it out from the immortal's earlier talking but he had just taken an elbow to the head- and was not thinking too clearly.

The immortal loops through its original statement immediately. "We have been sent to guide you.The Dominique is safe. The father has agreed to let you take your craft and go. We have been sent to guide you." It stops there, watching your confused expression intently. Its face shifts slightly, an inhuman expression without mouth or eyebrows, when it realizes that the restatement hasn't cleared up any of the cobwebs. I seems lost in thought for a long minute, then it speaks again, its rustling voice slow and halting. "The place where we will guide you.... will allow you to take your craft and go."
   The immortal sways with the effort of crafting an original sentence.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: January 26, 2013, 03:13:18 am »

Now we've got James, who, as luck would have it, has been abandoned by Tarran without so much as an attempt at contact.
I assumed that Tarran and James would get together again and talk to another and so and so outside of roleplaying, considering both these immortals are here to do the same job and we aren't all that far from another.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: January 27, 2013, 12:24:51 am »

"What about the others? Are they coming? Tarran? Dominique? Taric?" James wasn't about to follow an immortal. He'd had problems with following immortals before. He wasn't about to repeat that mistake. Why would he trust an immortal anyway? James basically waited to see if the immortal was distracted by making another sentence, and then if it was, he obstinately attempted to punch it again while it was.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: January 27, 2013, 02:23:51 am »

Now we've got James, who, as luck would have it, has been abandoned by Tarran without so much as an attempt at contact.
I assumed that Tarran and James would get together again and talk to another and so and so outside of roleplaying, considering both these immortals are here to do the same job and we aren't all that far from another.

((I see.

Well actually I don't. Your action talked about following the immortal and not a lot else. "Follow the Immortal" is not usually, by implication or exactitude, taken to mean "Go back to James, tell him everything is all right, and then follow the immortal."))

---

James Evan

"What about the others? Are they coming? Tarran? Dominique? Taric?" James wasn't about to follow an immortal. He'd had problems with following immortals before. He wasn't about to repeat that mistake. Why would he trust an immortal anyway? James basically waited to see if the immortal was distracted by making another sentence, and then if it was, he obstinately attempted to punch it again while it was.

The immortal cocks its head to one side. "The Dominique is safe. The Tarran has another guide. The Taric...." The hissing voice stops, sliding into one its pondering silences. You don't waste the opportunity. [Melee 5+1 Vs Dodge 2] [Brawl 5+1] (Confirm Critical 4 Vs 3, Critical confirmed) The punch strikes the immortal in the center of the forehead, interrupting its already poor thought processes with the destructive power of supersonic lead. (Damage 64x4=256 Immortal Armor -40, HP -216x1.1=237, and kill) The armor itself doesn't seem too badly damaged by the hole, but you just drilled the host a new pineal eye. For some strange reason, you feel a slight twinge of guilt at killing an unarmed creature that had offered you no hostility.
    The guilt doesn't last long. The immortal said Tarran had a guide, which probably means another immortal or three are already with him. You sprint out of the scanner offices at top speed, skidding along the corridors at a run, but you needn't have bothered.
    You find Tarran outside the clerks office, chatting with another immortal, and another human. Tarran doesn't even seem particularly on guard, ready as ever to shoot something, but not particularly ready to shoot the immortal in front of him. You stare at the situation blankly.
     Tarran nods to you. "Good timing, James. James, this is a survivor. Survivor, this is James. He's one of my crew." He sees you staring at the immortal and elaborates. "This... immortal, has graciously agreed to return as to our ship, and this guy and his team," Tarran jerks his head at the direction of the new human, "need a ride."
    "Ah," you say, not quite conveying the depth of your surprise. "So... we aren't shooting the uglies right now?"
    "No."
    "Oh."
    Tarran looks at you for a long moment, then casually walks over to you, massaging his temples all the way. "You shot one of them didn't you?" Tarran asks, his voice pitched just above a whisper.
    You wince. "A little."
     "You shot it 'a little'," Tarran repeats dubiously. "Is it all right?"
     You wince again. "It might need a new, uh, brain."
     Tarran buries his forehead in his hand. "Oookay. Plan, follow ugly quickly. Grab Hoke and everyone else we can round up, then get out of here and get a couple miles between us before they start counting bodies. Can you follow that?"

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: January 27, 2013, 02:46:52 am »

((I see.

Well actually I don't. Your action talked about following the immortal and not a lot else. "Follow the Immortal" is not usually, by implication or exactitude, taken to mean "Go back to James, tell him everything is all right, and then follow the immortal.")
Okay, whatever. If it really matters so much to you, I edited it.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: January 27, 2013, 11:19:52 am »

((I see.

Well actually I don't. Your action talked about following the immortal and not a lot else. "Follow the Immortal" is not usually, by implication or exactitude, taken to mean "Go back to James, tell him everything is all right, and then follow the immortal.")
Okay, whatever. If it really matters so much to you, I edited it.

*Sigh* Tarran, my problem here is that you have issues if I attempt to interpret your action, and you have issues if I don't interpret your actions. It is somewhat frustrating. It matters because I want to keep you slightly happy, and that is difficult when I must take your actions and face value, and I must interpret your actions to actions to do what you want. Hopefully you see the issue here.
---

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: January 27, 2013, 12:50:13 pm »

"Yeah, I can. Where is Hoke? The ship, right?"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: January 27, 2013, 01:49:36 pm »

*Sigh* Tarran, my problem here is that you have issues if I attempt to interpret your action, and you have issues if I don't interpret your actions. It is somewhat frustrating. It matters because I want to keep you slightly happy, and that is difficult when I must take your actions and face value, and I must interpret your actions to actions to do what you want. Hopefully you see the issue here.
If you have a problem with understanding what I'm doing or what I want to do, just ask me in a neutral tone about the specifics.

Don't insult and/or mock me like this:
I don't think Tarran would be given command of a wet sponge if he gave an honest debrief to the Unchained at this point.

Because it seems like every time I do something wrong you set out to mock me. That might not be what you intended, but it always seems like that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:52:59 pm by Tarran »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: January 27, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »

If you have a problem with understanding what I'm doing or what I want to do, just ask me in a neutral tone about the specifics.

Don't insult and/or mock me like this:
I don't think Tarran would be given command of a wet sponge if he gave an honest debrief to the Unchained at this point.

Because it seems like every time I do something wrong you set out to mock me. That might not be what you intended, but it always seems like that.

I mock everyone. You, Serious, Powder, Myself, everyone. (I could have sworn that we've gone over this before) Considering that you made just about the same statement about yourself earlier, I was pretty sure you already realized the depth of your situation, which is, in all honesty, funny. Or it would be if you saw it as such.

It's a joke. I am not petty enough to spend my free time mocking people simply for the sake of being mean. Tarran is not you, you are not Tarran. Mocking him is not belittling you personally.

As to the asking you for clarification "in a neutral tone", no. Just no. I told you earlier that I was reaching the end of my Tarran-centric concessions, and this is it. If something is genuinely ambiguous, sure, I'll ask, but I do that for anybody. I am not going to give you special treatment because you might take something personally and become offended. I treat you the same as I treat everyone. I don't want you to be unhappy, but this is getting ridiculous.

As a rule, you have disliked assumptions. (Notable instances: You disliked me assuming that Tarran knows about ORS despite earlier proximity, and you disliked me assuming that he knew what Taric was doing to the Restaurant door while he was twenty feet away.) So, and I ask this in all hopes of an honest and amicable answer: Do you think it is reasonable, in light of your earlier sentiments about assumptions, for me to read "Find James, inform him of the situation, and (if he agrees to go), follow the immortal to the shuttle" into "Follow the Immortal to the shuttle"?
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: January 27, 2013, 05:46:45 pm »

Tarran is not you, you are not Tarran. Mocking him is not belittling you personally.
I agree. But I see this specific mock as mocking my action, as it was made only after I posted my action, rather than after my character failed to do the action I wanted him to do.

As a rule, you have disliked assumptions. (Notable instances: You disliked me assuming that Tarran knows about ORS despite earlier proximity, and you disliked me assuming that he knew what Taric was doing to the Restaurant door while he was twenty feet away.) So, and I ask this in all hopes of an honest and amicable answer: Do you think it is reasonable, in light of your earlier sentiments about assumptions, for me to read "Find James, inform him of the situation, and (if he agrees to go), follow the immortal to the shuttle" into "Follow the Immortal to the shuttle"?
The ORS was a case of me forgetting that my character knew of them.

The door case if I recall correctly was a case of me not knowing that you assumed more NPC-PC dialogue than what you type and me not knowing that my character was watching him. An issue that I believe I felt at the time that I, as the player, wasn't getting enough information. I don't believe the relation to assumptions of what my character knew was the main issue.

I... don't recall getting upset about you assuming minor details of my actions. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So on minor stuff relating to keeping the group together (especially on railroading sections, which I feel like this is), unless I sound like I want to leave James behind (I don't sound like that, do I?), or I explicitly say so, then yes some assumption is reasonable because I have far less problems with that kind of assumption than pretty much any other kind.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:54:34 pm by Tarran »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: January 27, 2013, 06:19:38 pm »

Tarran is not you, you are not Tarran. Mocking him is not belittling you personally.
I agree. But I see this specific mock as mocking my action, as it was made only after I posted my action, rather than after my character failed to do the action I wanted him to do.
Tarran, it is unfortunate that you feel offended, but honestly, what in the world do I have to gain by mocking you personally?

The ORS was a case of me forgetting that my character knew of them.

The door case if I recall correctly was a case of me not knowing that you assumed more NPC-PC dialogue than what you type and me not knowing that my character was watching him. An issue that I believe I felt at the time that I, as the player, wasn't getting enough information. I don't believe the relation to assumptions of what my character knew was the main issue.

I... don't recall getting upset about you assuming minor details of my actions. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So on minor stuff relating to keeping the group together (especially on railroading sections, which I feel like this is), unless I sound like I want to leave James behind (I don't sound like that, do I?), or I explicitly say so, then yes some assumption is reasonable because I have far less problems with that kind of assumption than pretty much any other kind.

You didn't remember that Tarran knew about ORS several times, over the course of several pages, and with three people giving reasons why you would. That's a bit more than not remembering.

Now, as to the minor details. The one that pops most readily to mind is when you were fighting immortals in the corridor outside security station november. Your action pretty much explicitly stated aiming, and yet, when I aimed you in, you were upset that I had done so. I realize that, on the internet, everyone is as cool as a cucumber and completely chill in hindsight, but you fairly well seemed upset at that time.

Leaving James behind... It's not a question of whether you sound like you want to do it, it's a question of whether you sound like you don't. There's nothing there that tells me you want to grab James, and, from the way the rest of the team has been going, leaving him alone seems pretty par for the course.

On the note of railroading... It was a turnoff. If you agreed with the immortal, you get to go to the next chapter. (because 5 turns of walking through hallways and riding elevators is about as much fun as reading soda bottles) If you disagreed with the immortals, or if James disagreed with you... then everything keeps spinning. Dominique would be shoehorned into her next section, and you'd probably end up helping Ahra's people fight their way to the hangar.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: January 27, 2013, 07:14:42 pm »

You didn't remember that Tarran knew about ORS several times, over the course of several pages, and with three people giving reasons why you would. That's a bit more than not remembering.
Regarding Zako, that was me not remembering.

Regarding SeriousConcentrate, he was not talking about ORS specifically.

Regarding you, yes I was being petty. You really should've given me the link that I requested if you don't appreciate that. But even then it was not even nearly the exaggerated "several pages", it was just part of one. Unless you're including an entirely separate incident or I continued later?

Now, as to the minor details. The one that pops most readily to mind is when you were fighting immortals in the corridor outside security station november. Your action pretty much explicitly stated aiming, and yet, when I aimed you in, you were upset that I had done so. I realize that, on the internet, everyone is as cool as a cucumber and completely chill in hindsight, but you fairly well seemed upset at that time.
More of a case of you interpreting my action incorrectly and/or me writing it wrong rather than you assuming me doing something. It was less minor than this, because it was during combat where the lives of our characters were on the line.

And then the rest of our argument was about different stuff that you said which lasted all of a couple more posts.

Also, I've been wrong about you being upset before.

Leaving James behind... It's not a question of whether you sound like you want to do it, it's a question of whether you sound like you don't. There's nothing there that tells me you want to grab James,
And nothing telling you that I don't.

It's an either/or, but I definitely understand what you're getting at.

from the way the rest of the team has been going, leaving him alone seems pretty par for the course.
Wolf left us without warning us much if I recall correctly, Taric was with Dom and I had to protect Jake, Dom forced herself from me twice... I only (ironically) recall abandoning James. But he was only recently in a coma at the time if I recall correctly.

On the note of railroading... It was a turnoff. If you agreed with the immortal, you get to go to the next chapter. (because 5 turns of walking through hallways and riding elevators is about as much fun as reading soda bottles) If you disagreed with the immortals, or if James disagreed with you... then everything keeps spinning. Dominique would be shoehorned into her next section, and you'd probably end up helping Ahra's people fight their way to the hangar.
Ah, okay.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:17:52 pm by Tarran »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7874 on: January 27, 2013, 10:25:09 pm »

Point on the pages. I remember it being longer, but it was just a page +/- post or two. 

More of a case of you interpreting my action incorrectly and/or me writing it wrong rather than you assuming me doing something. It was less minor than this, because it was during combat where the lives of our characters were on the line.

And then the rest of our argument was about different stuff that you said which lasted all of a couple more posts.

Also, I've been wrong about you being upset before.

As to emotions on the internet, well, it's always difficult to tell, hence the reason for my cool as a cucumber comment. Look, how about we try this. You, assume that I'm not insulting you unless I add brackets to the end of the comment that say [I AM INSULTING YOU]. I'm an aggressive aggressive person, not a passive aggressive, if I go after you there will be no ambiguity. You do that and I'll ask a few more questions about your actions if there is an obvious flaw with the explicit logic.

I'm not going to stop mocking your character, or your really bad ideas for that matter, that's just part of what I do. I believe I once had a [Prefstring: gentle omniverted mockery] in my avatar text a while back.

"Yeah, I can. Where is Hoke? The ship, right?"

IF YOU FOLLOW TARRAN IN HIS PRESENT STATE, YOU WILL LEAVE THE CHAPTER.
ARE YOU SURE?

Y/N
---
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 602