Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 527050 times)

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Getting punched out by an imaginary tropical waitress
« Reply #7590 on: October 24, 2012, 01:01:05 am »

The Unchaineds base was in a prison... Right?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Getting punched out by an imaginary tropical waitress
« Reply #7591 on: October 24, 2012, 01:38:22 am »

"We're here because somebody stole our ride and our best guess is somebody here took it. We're here to take it back."

If possible, manually move rounds from my current Jormungandr clip and put it in my 25-round clip. Then, regardless of the result, reload my Jormungandr with the 25/29 round clip.

You set about merging two of your clips while you talk with Jake. There isn't a reason to hold anything back, but there really isn't any reason to go into detail with him. The fact that you stole the ship in question is irrelevant, and your knowledge of the Father holding Hoke goes a lot beyond best guess, but explaining that would probably lead into the Father's oddly personal desire to get one of you.
   Jake shakes his head. "He controls the Hangars, the Shifting Man, or the Father, whichever you prefer. They ain't guarded really, but they're sealed as tight as anything." Jake's fingers clench and unclench slowly before he continues. "Automated defenses still work too, it's where... It's where the rest of the people that got sent up with me died."
   The twenty-eighth iron slug hovers above the waiting magazine, frozen as you stare at Jake. Dominique's introduction of him was a little spare, just a random survivor, but "got sent up" doesn't sound random, and if he knows where the hangar is... Even if you can't leave you can still get aboard your ship again, with a full medical facility, quad barreled machinegun, and all the other amenities of a luxury transport. [gather information 4+1] "Jake, assume for a moment that I know nothing about you, then start at the beginning of everything."
   Jake looks at you, or looks roughly near you, then takes a deep breath and starts talking. You listen intently. His beginning is a bit close to the action for you, but he claims not to have noticed anything out of the ordinary before security started going haywire. Apparently the bulk of the facility's staff was attending a baby shower of all things when security turned on them, gunning them down and capturing as many as the deadheads and robotics could grab. His information on that event, however, is garbled, coming third-hand from another wrench jockey who heard it from a caterer. He realized something was up when a deadhead tried to club him into insensibility, nearly killing him before a friend of his took a prybar to its skull. After that he roved the facility looking for another rock to crawl under, keeping to the largest gang of survivors he could find. There are a few points he glosses over, usually where the maintenance gang ran into fleeing scientists, and you suspect those points were needlessly bloody. Eventually they caught up with what sounds like an army of survivors, led by a man named Harrison, and were assimilated into what Jake claimed was a force numbering in the hundreds. Jake talks about Harrison raiding armories for equipment, but it doesn't sound like something he was there for, just that Harrison had actual guns for his people. Jake's recollection of the events after focuses mainly on the constant attacks that harried Harrison's men into a corner, killing almost two-thirds of his forces and pushing them into the red-maintenance level. There they stayed, blockaded by the Shifting Man's children, and sending out an occasional group to slip through and try to find a way out. Jake and four others went out on that mission, and they were all killed, one by one, until it was just down to Jake, locked in a maintenance chute, starving to death.
   You ask a few question here and there, but mostly you marvel at the fact that nobody decided to talk to Jake before this. From what you've heard of Dominique's account it sounds like she skipped to the savage beating part of interrogation and forgot to ask any real questions. You aim to remedy that. "You mentioned passing through the hangar, where is it?"
    "There are two," Jake says, ridiculously eager to please. "The secure hangar is on the fifth floor, and the maintenance hangar is on the floor below it, but there's a system to lower and raise vehicles between the two."
   You're about to ask another question when James groans suddenly, the loudest sound he's made in a long time. You're halfway over to check on him when something explodes from down in the backworks of the restaurant.

---

Dominique Wakeman

That door was making Dom nervous. She'd seen one like that before, back in that locked room where Taric had been messing with a computer... and now Taric had disappeared, meaning it was just her. Although she didn't particularly want to, she advanced forward and tried the door.

Cautiously, infinitely cautiously, you reach out to open the door. The glow doesn't seem menacing, but it certainly doesn't look like anything natural. Despite that, nothing happens when your fingers touch the handle, and you breath a sigh of relief. Maybe it's just something to do with your sight, some weird psychic thing that only makes sense in ten-syllable latin. You tug the door open, and for a moment you can feel something pop loose, like pulling a suction cup off a wall.
  [Soak 3+1] A fist catches you in the stomach as the door explodes outwards. The shining lines, the sense of pressure, vanish as the door splinters along the glowing markings, sending out a wave of metallic shrapnel that overtakes you while you're still flying backwards from the initial shockwave. (Armor -18, -14, -11, -9, -7. HP -1, -6, -5, -3) Your new armor saves you from the worse of the blast, but more than one shard pricks through the soft sections of your armor or slides cuttingly across the unarmored sections of your body.
  You land on your back with a dozen small pieces of metal sticking out of your armor like a porcupine's quills, the force of your impact knocking the breath from your lungs. In spite of that, you really don't feel that unwell. Pissed off? Yes. Angry enough to kill whoever did that to the door? Probably. Wounded? No.
   You brush the shards of metal out of your hair and armor, then regard the offending door. It's still standing, the explosion seemingly limiting itself to the outer half of the door. It's thinner now, glowing at the edges, [Door Integrity 1] and it looks like it could fall over in a stiff breeze. You punch it instead of waiting for that breeze. The door topples, tearing away from its semi-molten sides.
   The room inside is pretty much what you expected, a plain circular chamber with a couple of chairs bolted to the floor in front of consoles. The lights of the consoles are dark now, but there's a set of heavy breakers on the opposite wall that should control power. The unusual thing is the armored corpses sprawled in one of the chairs. Its armor is scarred beyond use, showing enough burns and holes to make yours look new-made. The corpse is missing a chunk from his jaw, and his right arm ends in a splintered stump just past the elbow. Why he's dead is hardly a mystery, you're just curious how someone with his injuries could have survived long enough to reach that chair. [Observation 5] In the few places that aren't scarred and burned, you pick out a bit of grey and silver paint on the dead man's armor. If it was whole and made of cloth, the pattern would be twin to the uniform you're wearing.

---

Aaron White

"Were going after the ORS, jamie looks like i could punch him out in one hit and you dont look like your best day either Paula"

Medical supplies beyond what little Paula has would be immeasurably useful, and the more advanced the better. If you could load up with enough ORS... hell, the battle is more than half won if the Shifting Man can't keep you injured. You motion for Paula to lead, and you head into the growth half of the labs.
   [Observation 5] [Luck 3] Between the well posted signage and Paula's experience you're able to find the chamber that contains the ORS mother as if you'd been going there every day. The trouble is that you can see a trio of corpses lolling out of the room, each one of them equipped like you are now, in modified maintenance suits that mark them clearly as Harrison's men. Judging from the holes and they way they've fallen, you'd say they were shot out of that room.
   [Failed roll not shown] You've found the room, but the room could very well be occupied by something with a very big gun. Something that doesn't like your kind. You won't know until you check, but that means someone has to stick their head around that corner.

---

James Evan

James attempted to fish the arm out of the water without touching it, so he could shoot it.

[Will 4 Vs 2] The fungal arm, writhing and twitching, emerges from the water slowly. It strikes at you, twisting against your cage of will, but it is weak, and you are strong. You raise your shotgun, framing the arm against the black pillar in front of you. Then you pull the trigger, almost smiling as the recoil jars your arm. [Quickshot 4+1] (No armor, 71 total damage) The shotgun tears the arm apart at point blank range, flesh, bone, and moldy putrescence dissolving together. The impact of the buckshot tears the arm out of your mental grasp, knocking the fleshy slurry of its remains into the dead blackness. It disappears without a trace.
   You turn back to the beach, victorious for the first time in a long time. Your shadow, still darkly garbed, is holding the cube now, cradling it in his severed arm and manipulating it with the other hand. Blight looking at you in a vaguely irritated manner, undoubtedly for destroying that thing before she could make it pay for whatever it had done to her. You're about to ask your shadow what he's doing when he finishes and turns to look at you.
  "Keep your heart rate down, try not to get excited, avoid anything with fish oil in it, and for the love of God, do not have sex," he says calmly. "You still need medical attention, more even than you needed it before. And try not to get hit in the head too much." The last seems added in as an afterthought, with only a baring of teeth to name it a joke.
   You try and respond, to say something, but you feel strange... Fuzzy. Forming words takes more energy and knowledge than you can summon at the moment. You fall to your knees, staring at the cube that your shadow still cradles. You have enough time to wonder what he did to you before the effort of keeping your back straight overwhelms you. The last thing your remember is collapsing face down into the surf.

You open your eyes. Then you close them again. It doesn't seem to make any difference. Your head feels like someone just had a battle royal inside it, your tongue is wedged uncomfortably in the side of your cheek, and your mouth is as dry as paper. Wherever you are, it doesn't seem to be a big improvement. Then you hear something explode.

---

Turn Recap
Tarran Listening
Dominique is not so fine anymore
Aaron is Contemplating
James is... is waking up? Heresy!

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Security Card November (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge -Pyotr Ivanov- (Taric)
Ident Badge -Kira Masse- (Tarran)
Ident Badge -Naomi Weiss- (Tarran)
Unpowered Pad (Tarran)
L1RF Key (Tarran)

Spoiler: Aaron White (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Taric Sizier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Strange glowing doors 101: Don't poke them.
« Reply #7592 on: October 24, 2012, 02:34:51 am »

"...Well then."

"Uh, James? Are you finally awake?"
Tarran says, half looking at James, half looking at the direction of the sound of the explosion.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: October 24, 2012, 03:55:34 am »

Dom, not quite sure it was the best course of action to continue alone but doing it anyway, moved forward to see what she could do about fixing the breakers/getting the power back on.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: October 24, 2012, 06:01:20 am »

"Cale... on 3 we both try to get a glimpse, do a barrel roll away and hope to god its out of ammo or on a big ugly anger problemed thing that will get in range for my phoenix or your neuroflashes" what does a a neuro-flash do? flashbang? Biological EMP?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:04:20 am by Ahra »
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: October 24, 2012, 06:04:05 am »

Ahra, have you thought about using something shiny to poke around the corner as a mirror for you to look at instead of poking your head out?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: October 24, 2012, 07:50:47 pm »

James groaned, rolled over and promptly hit the floor, unleashing a small torrent of (half-understandable) curses. James's head hurt like... ... well, it just hurt. Not quite anything to compare it to. James halfway sat up, but then kind of just lay back down again. Why'd his head have to hurt so much? James tried to form a sentence, but it kinda came out as "Iem wa... wher splo..." so he in order, rolled back onto his back, and made the sentence slightly more able to be understood. "I'mm awaike... Ugh...." James stopped to put a hand on his head and try to open his eyes. "Wheire... where'sss that ecssplo..." Another pause, to curse and cough a few times, "explosion?"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: October 24, 2012, 08:27:03 pm »

"My god, finally. Welcome back to the world of the conscious and not-in-a-coma, James."

"The explosion was down there."
Tarran said, pointing vaguely in the direction of the explosion. "I suppose I should check it out. You go ahead and stay here, James. You're the only one not introduced to Jake, after all."

Trot off towards the location of the explosion.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: October 24, 2012, 08:33:15 pm »

In response, James made another pained groan. God, waking up hurt.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: November 01, 2012, 05:26:58 pm »

Do we have a fourthpage Dev-22 here?!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: November 03, 2012, 10:06:56 pm »

Yes, undoubtedly. I have just finished switching colleges for my next semester, (Accepted as of noonish today, semi-yay) and I'm currently yelling at my finaid people. A word of advice: If you want to go to college and NOT do it with a six year headache, don't get born into a family of goat farmers. Get born into a family of stinkin' rich people, it'll help a lot.

I'll get at least one turn out tomorrow, as well as my actions to any RTDs that I'm, by some miracle, still in.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: November 04, 2012, 12:08:02 am »

Very happy to see you back, Draignean. ^^^ I hope you get things worked out.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: November 05, 2012, 01:07:33 am »

Tarran Smith and James Evan

James groaned, rolled over and promptly hit the floor, unleashing a small torrent of (half-understandable) curses. James's head hurt like... ... well, it just hurt. Not quite anything to compare it to. James halfway sat up, but then kind of just lay back down again. Why'd his head have to hurt so much? James tried to form a sentence, but it kinda came out as "Iem wa... wher splo..." so he in order, rolled back onto his back, and made the sentence slightly more able to be understood. "I'mm awaike... Ugh...." James stopped to put a hand on his head and try to open his eyes. "Wheire... where'sss that ecssplo..." Another pause, to curse and cough a few times, "explosion?"
"My god, finally. Welcome back to the world of the conscious and not-in-a-coma, James."

"The explosion was down there."
Tarran said, pointing vaguely in the direction of the explosion. "I suppose I should check it out. You go ahead and stay here, James. You're the only one not introduced to Jake, after all."

James' first actions were clumsy, and, at least for him, verbally obscene. The level of obscenity is a little difficult to judge, however, as his first drymouthed words are more gibberish than english. "Iem wa... wher splo..." He rolls off his face slowly and sits up, trying again marginally better results. "I'mm awaike... Ugh...."  His voice is slurred and sounds like he's chewing his tongue, but it's understandable now. "Wheire... where'sss that ecssplo..." He clears his throat with a hacking cough, taking another deep breath before forming a single word with great deliberation. "Explosion?"
   Tarran welcomes James back into the world with surprised enthusiasm, helping him back up onto the couch. "My god, finally. Welcome back to the world of the conscious and not-in-a-coma, James. The explosion was down there," he continues, pointing off in one direction rather pointlessly. "I suppose I should check it out. You go ahead and stay here, James. You're the only one not introduced to Jake, after all." With that, Tarran trots away. A gait that is distinctly different from a jog, the detail seems odd.
   James continues to sit on the couch while Tarran's footsteps fade away. The ache in his head decreases by degrees, lowering enough for Tarran's last sentence to make it through about a minute after he's gone. "Jake?"
   "Here." Jake says from off the James' right.
   James squints for a moment, confident that his eyes are open, and equally confident that it isn't doing a damn bit of good. "No 'ffense, who are you?" The 'are' sounds a bit pirate-y, but it's intelligible.
   Jake sighs. "Long story." 
  "Not goin' anywherr..."
   There's a pause from Jake that might have been a shrug, but he gives his story in its entirety. A bit more cohesive for having already related it once, but largely unchanged from what he told Tarran.

---

Tarran Smith

You trot back into the restaurant's backworks, trying to pin down where that explosion came from.  [Observation 5] It isn't easy, networks of corridors and small processing rooms making it difficult to judge exactly where the noise came from, but you manage. You end up leaving the backworks of the restaurant, but you're confident that you've found the right path.
   One turn makes you slow down and raise your rifle. Splinters of metal litter the floor along with a few specks of fresh blood. Scorch marks scar the walls, and the end of the corridor consists of a collapsed door, still glowing with heat. You get a glimpse of Dominique doing something in the room behind the collapsed door, but a sudden flicker in the lighting gets your attention first. [End 3] You stagger as more than fifty pounds of extra weight hits you across the shoulders, going down on one knee before you adjust back to your full weight again. The lights are on in force by the time you get your equilibrium back entirely, somewhat dim due to the damage this part of the hall suffered, but definitely on.

---

Dominique Wakeman

Dom, not quite sure it was the best course of action to continue alone but doing it anyway, moved forward to see what she could do about fixing the breakers/getting the power back on.

The breakers on the far end of the room appear to be intact, just... off. Emergency power has been disabled manually, a bloody handprint still staining the release, but main power relay looks like it was tripped automatically in response to overload conditions. [Mechanical 5] You reset the overload trip easily, and pull a monkey flips the switch on the breaker for main power. The lights flicker briefly, charging back to full power after a very long rest. You don't really notice those, the power of fully gravity suddenly trying to drag you into the floor occupies the entirety of your attention. [End 3] You catch yourself on one of the chairs, but that's the only thing keeping you off your knees. Lunar gravity is not something you should quit cold turkey.
   By the time you get used to your full weight the entire room is lit up by holographic displays and ambient lighting, making you squint and blink in the sudden radiance. [Observation 4] This is a serious case of not-your-job, but it looks like you've just restored power to most, if not all, of this floor. The holographic power grid of this floor has more than a few flashing orange lines in it, circuits that failed to disengage properly when the power was cut originally. Atmospheric control, sectional grid power to parts of the housing complex, and a couple of lines dedicated to power something called APS all failed to disengage from the facility's main power.
   The power grid, in addition to giving you a great deal of unnecessary information, also provides you with a map of sorts. It's not much, very little in the way of designation, but it's enough for you to get your bearings. The v-split corridor you entered the restaurant from leads back onto the bright line of the main east-west corridor, and the other fork of the V leads into a larger room marked with the glowing letters RF. Further down that same path leads to the emergency stairs and, if you trace a dim line of power of the main path, a maintenance duct probably, a service lift. The rest of it you've already seen; the gardens, the throbbing red patch of broken circuits that used to be the chapel, a short set of blocky rooms beside the chapel, and the pulsing heart of the housing complex. You absently note that the housing complex has, by far, the highest percentage of orange lines.

---

Aaron White

"Cale... on 3 we both try to get a glimpse, do a barrel roll away and hope to god its out of ammo or on a big ugly anger problemed thing that will get in range for my phoenix or your neuroflashes"

Cale nods briefly and the two of you take a position on the near side of the door, waiting on your slow count of three to take a quick peek.
   [Dexterity 2] You preform a sliding, stumbling, and entirely graceless attempt at a sideways roll when you finish your count. It was meant to take you clear to the other side of the door and provide you a quick peek into the bargain, but it ends up fouling on a corpse and putting you square in the middle of doorway.
   A dual barreled automated turret stares at you from inside the lab. You stare back. The air is thick with tension. Gradually, very gradually, you ease up off your hands and knees and slide over to the side of the door opposite from Cale. The turret, clearly, is not going to fire on you without provocation, but that begs the question of why it shot down the batch of corpses you just crawled across. [Int 4] A glimpse of something shiny clutched in one of the corpse's fists catches your eye. A slim metal box, smaller and thinner than the body's hand. A container for ORS spikes.

---

Turn Recap
Tarran finding Dom
Dominique turning on the lights
Aaron is staring at guns
James is being brought up to speed

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Security Card November (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge -Pyotr Ivanov- (Taric)
Ident Badge -Kira Masse- (Tarran)
Ident Badge -Naomi Weiss- (Tarran)
Unpowered Pad (Tarran)
L1RF Key (Tarran)

Spoiler: Aaron White (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Taric Sizier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: November 05, 2012, 01:40:36 am »

"I heard an explosion over here, Dom. What happened?"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: November 05, 2012, 01:45:15 am »

"Takes care of that," Dom muttered to herself. Now that she had turned the lights on, though, she wasn't sure what she should do next. She settled on memorizing the map given to her and studying the rest of the room for anything useful... or at least Taric. Where had that boy gotten off to?

(Tarran ninja'd me, so I'm just going to leave that action as-is on the assumption that's what Dom was doing before Tarran got to her, and just reply to him now.)

"A booby trap, boss," Dom said absently as she looked at the map. "Hey, boss? A tip for future reference. You can see in the dark like I do, right? Then you might be able to see stuff the same way I do. So if you see a glowing door, for fuck's sake don't open it. That's how you know they're trapped." A thought struck her, and she turned around. "Hey, did you see Taric on your way here? He fucking vanished on me a moment ago and I have no clue where he went."
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 602