Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526961 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Getting punched out by an imaginary tropical waitress
« Reply #7560 on: October 12, 2012, 03:10:34 pm »

I would assume an ORES mother is a base colony for the ORES bacterium. Sorta like the Starter yeast culture you keep when you regularly make sourdough bread.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: October 12, 2012, 05:15:03 pm »

Fun fact: Yeast is probably a sore topic with james right now.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: October 18, 2012, 10:50:07 pm »

Fun Fact #2: Despite the fact Draignean hasn't been around in like five days, I'm still bumping his thread. :P I mean, page four? Really?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: October 20, 2012, 05:05:53 pm »

Fun fact #3: This game has been running for 620 days

Fun fact #4: The page/day ratio is now 0.8145161
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: October 21, 2012, 01:06:21 am »

I would assume an ORES mother is a base colony for the ORES bacterium. Sorta like the Starter yeast culture you keep when you regularly make sourdough bread.

Yes and no. An ORS mother is capable of stable production of standard ORS. Standard ORS, the kind that is used medically, is engineered to only be able to replicate for a few hundred generations, for obvious reasons. Clone mothers are designed to produce usable clone cells, but clone cells are rarely designed to produce other viable clone cells, at least, not sustainably.

Fun fact #3: This game has been running for 620 days

Fun fact #4: The page/day ratio is now 0.8145161

Somehow this fails to improve my mood.

I just noticed this, but the team has been carrying around james, and james apparently is incredibly smelly. Maybe the water?

Indeed, the water he fell/waded into. Interesting how it managed to develop such horrendous odor in a very nearly sealed environment.

Fun Fact #2: Despite the fact Draignean hasn't been around in like five days, I'm still bumping his thread. :P I mean, page four? Really?

Eleven days, but the hoops that need to be jumped have been jumped. I'm sorry to have kept you all waiting. Now, assorted announcements.

Taric, I'm going to start actively attempting to kill you. It has been too long since I've killed anyone, and I'm rather beginning to think people have grown complacent. I have waited for you, and you will be sorely missed, but it's time for another to step up to the plate.

Tarran, it's probably a bad thing to have to ask me for advice. Explore the other door, patch up your armor with bits of debris, practice your abilities, have Jake carry James around and explore further, etc, but always have a goal in mind.

Wolfchild, Taric's message goes just as well for you. I will be slower with you, you have not been gone as long and I don't know your present situation, but remember that I will still replace you if necessary.

On the subject of turns, there may or may not be one tonight. At the very least I'll have a dialogue segment for Jake, but it's one AM here, so that might be all you're getting.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: October 21, 2012, 01:52:52 am »

Taric, I'm going to start actively attempting to kill you. It has been too long since I've killed anyone, and I'm rather beginning to think people have grown complacent. I have waited for you, and you will be sorely missed, but it's time for another to step up to the plate.
((This made me laugh. Sorry Taricus. XD))

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: October 21, 2012, 02:00:36 am »

Tarran, it's probably a bad thing to have to ask me for advice. Explore the other door, patch up your armor with bits of debris, practice your abilities, have Jake carry James around and explore further, etc, but always have a goal in mind.
Yes, I know having a goal is good, but the problem is I really am starting to get detached from this RTD, so I can't for the life of me think of any.

Anyway, new action:
"Jake, unless it's something that is vital to save our lives or save other's lives, you don't need to tell us immediately. Take your time."

Attempt to patch up my armor.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: October 21, 2012, 02:41:16 am »

Tarran Smith

"Jake, unless it's something that is vital to save our lives or save other's lives, you don't need to tell us immediately. Take your time."

Wait and talk with Jake.
(unless there's something else I could do?)

[Diplomacy 4+1] You talk calmly to Jake, trying to put him at his ease while you fiddle with your armor. Taric may have started your relationship with Jake out bungled, though you sill have no idea how or why, but he's the only person here who has more than a 'that looks like something I saw once' knowledge of this place. For a wonder, Jake actually seems to respond well to the calming words. He nods slowly, relaxing visibly as he tries to puzzle something out in his head. He remains silent for a little while longer, but eventually he raises his eyes, trying to focus on where he last heard your voice.
  "Sir," Jake begins finally, clearly unsure of how to address you, or how you'll take what he's about to say. "Why are you here? You wear the uniforms, but I know you ain't 'Crats or priests, and I haven't been deaf... You all are rebels, Unchained, not that there's anything wrong with that, not saying there is, but," Jake pauses only to take in a long breath, wringing his hands together, seemingly unaware of the pistol he's white-knuckling. "But there don't seem to be any more of you, and you don't even seem to know what you're looking for. The woman who found me, she seemed as spooked to see me as I was to see her, so I know you aren't here to save us... So... Why?" The speech, seemingly all of a piece except for that one breath, takes most of Jakes willpower. His voice, never loud, drops off towards the end, finally trailing off into a barely audible whisper.
  [Mechanical 3] You sigh and look down at the patch you were trying to pull back into place. It doesn't seem any worse for the treatment, but at least it doesn't seem worse. Small comfort.

---

Dominique Wakeman

There was nothing for it but to press on. "Taric, would you come here and do a psychic sweep of the area to see if there are any little bastards around that might be interested in a pride parade?" she shouted back to him as she continued to move forward.

Your call back to Taric echoes hollowly in the empty hallway, but no reply other than your own warped voice comes back to you. Maybe he can't hear you, though you doubt it considering the way these hallways carry sound. Whether he answers or not doesn't really matter though, his heads up might be useful, but you don't even know if he could find what tried to stop you. You take a deep breath and keep walking.
    You cross the intervening distance at a quick walk, trying to keep alert for... whatever tried to confuse you. [P.Empathetics 3] You sense nothing, however, and your thoughts seem to remain your own even as you reach the door to power control. That, though, is not normal. The odd glow, like you saw on James, and on that door back in the primary staff quarters, is here too. It crisscrosses the door at odd angles, making your brain hurt and your stomach shift uncomfortably when you try to look at more than a small part of its structure. [P.Kinetics 4+1] It looks... tense. Like something under tremendous pressure, just waiting for an excuse to explode. The only good thing you can see is that the door appears to be unlocked.

---

Aaron White

"Did they do any of those fancy scmancy bio-medpacks up here or what kind of engineering, anything useful, at all?,
 And FYI, Im the stupid Reddie here remember, whats an ORS Mother?"

"...N?... Strangers, he mean someone is stupid enough to enter?.

Paula shifts uncomfortably as she reads the message, but she answers your first question while she considers. "They might have some ORS in packs here, but most if it was stored in an active state and it doesn't keep more than a week if it's not made dormant. If the mother is still alive... The mother is like, like...." Paula frowns, her attempt to find a suitable comparison momentarily distracting her from contemplation of the wallscreen's message. "It's like an automated factory, except that instead of making things, it makes other factories that make things, but the little factories can't make other factories."
   Cale stares at her blankly for a moment. "Who the hell cares?! If there's supplies here, let's grab them, but I don't want an academy lecture about things that I don't understand and don't care to understand." Cale's outburst tapers off a little at the end, but he still looks almost irrationally defiant. "This... message," he continues, flinging a hand at the wallscreen, "feels like a trap. How do we know that upper maintenance isn't crawling with... things?"
   "We'd already be dead if it was a trap. The elevator would have flattened us, or we'd have been gunned done the instant the doors opened, or we could have just been held like a box of kittens until we starved to death," Henry says, his voice pained but emotionless. "We're probably still dead, but that message doesn't make sense as a trap." 
   Paula snorts as Cale's feet shift defensively. "If the message can be trusted, the important part is certainly the strangers. If anyone else got in, it means we can get out. Maybe it's the maintenance hangar they got in through, maybe somewhere else, but what matters is that people could get in."

---

James Evan

James beat at her with the butt of his shotgun. He had unpleasant plans for the shotgun butt and her head, and would rather like to avoid her plans.
Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

The waitress grabs for your throat, [Acolyte Melee 5 Vs Melee 3+1] seizing you in a chokehold and trying to force you closer to the black pillar. [Acolyte str 1] Her attempt succeeds only in giving you an opportunity to break her hold, [Melee 4+1] which you do with alacrity.
   Your shadow [Dex 3] splashes awkwardly down into the water, losing his chance to help you attack the woman in his sloppy advance.
   You suffer no such delays yourself. [Melee 3+1 Vs dodge 2] Losing no time, you bludgeon the woman in the head repeatedly with the butt of your shotgun. [Brawl 4+1] (Acolyte shadow -30 HP and kill) The weapon connects solidly twice, but the third stroke reduces the woman to a drifting haze. The severed arm, however, does not dissolve. It drops out of the place where the woman's back used to be, plopping down into the surf.
    [Blight Str 4+1, End 5+1, 4+1, Will 4, Luck 4. 60/50] A section of air, located roughly where you entered, slides open. Blight, looking like she'd just been beaten with a couple headless chickens, practically falls out. The fury in her eyes should have knocked a strong man dead at ten paces.
    The frozen pillars seem to crack for a moment, swelling before the harden again. [Luck 4] The expansion is enough to make you roll away from the nearest pillar, but not enough to actually hurt you.

---

Turn Recap
Tarran is not a mechanic
Dominique seems fine for now
Aaron is having a nice chat
James has beaten a topless waitress to death

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Security Card November (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge -Pyotr Ivanov- (Taric)
Ident Badge -Kira Masse- (Tarran)
Ident Badge -Naomi Weiss- (Tarran)
Unpowered Pad (Tarran)
L1RF Key (Tarran)

Spoiler: Aaron White (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Taric Sizier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: October 21, 2012, 02:41:38 am »

Yes, I know having a goal is good, but the problem is I really am starting to get detached from this RTD, so I can't for the life of me think of any.

You are free to leave if you like. I swore to see this through. You did not.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: October 21, 2012, 04:25:50 am »

((My memory is fuzzy, please correct me if I'm wrong or off a little))

"We're here because somebody stole our ride and our best guess is somebody here took it. We're here to take it back."

If possible, manually move rounds from my current Jormungandr clip and put it in my 25-round clip. Then, regardless of the result, reload my Jormungandr with the 25/29 round clip.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: October 21, 2012, 08:04:34 am »

"Were going after the ORS, jamie looks like i could punch him out in one hit and you dont look like your best day either Paula"
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: October 21, 2012, 12:00:25 pm »

That door was making Dom nervous. She'd seen one like that before, back in that locked room where Taric had been messing with a computer... and now Taric had disappeared, meaning it was just her. Although she didn't particularly want to, she advanced forward and tried the door.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: October 21, 2012, 12:11:25 pm »

James attempted to fish the arm out of the water without touching it, so he could shoot it.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: October 21, 2012, 01:33:08 pm »

Toss it into the black stuff! TOSS IT IN!!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: October 21, 2012, 05:13:44 pm »

Toss it into the black stuff! TOSS IT IN!!

But... that might end up being like dividing by zero. Fungal arm + harmful, reality-breaking fungal effect...
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 602