Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526918 times)

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Getting punched out by an imaginary tropical waitress
« Reply #7545 on: October 08, 2012, 06:03:25 pm »

"Oh Come On Guys, It´s Not Omnious At All, What´s On Level 13 Anyway Eh?"
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: October 09, 2012, 10:12:22 am »

Oh god why are you sending me on spore-boy watching duty.

Well he should be waking up or dying soonish, so it might not be completely uninteresting. Of course, you're probably worried about the interesting parts.

(Because I know what I'm doing - apparently - due to working in maintenance while your only useful skill in this situation is shooting things, and that will be better utilized by guarding James than standing around watching me do whatever it is I need to do while Taric continually tries to grope you?)

I'd have given the roll to Taric or Tarran if they'd made better than a three on their first observation check. I'm not going to start completely boxing out rolls based on class, you just happened to be the lucky one.

((Spore boy watching duty? :())
Sighing, James did as the shadow recommended, increasing the chemicals.

BUT THAT MIGHT KILL YOU!

Anyway, running turn.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7547 on: October 09, 2012, 11:27:33 am »

@Draig Re: Atmopheres and Weapons. Ahhh as a catch all term to denote that a weapon might not work in extreme conditions it makes sense. Though the pedant in me thinks it might have been better termed "Earth Like Conditions" since atmosphere isn't the main point. But it matters not. :) I am content that even though detailed stats are impractical common sense would be in full effect if and when such situations arise since you seem to have a handle on the factors that would make a difference.

I say your narrative leans toward hard sci-fi in general because you always at least have an idea for how the stuff in your story works. e.g. the ORS aren't fantasy health potions, you bothered to explain the mechanism in some detail. You're also the only author I can think of at the moment who explains telepathy as microscopic electric field manipulation. In most sci-fi works it's completely hand-waved.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: October 09, 2012, 12:30:45 pm »

I'd have given the roll to Taric or Tarran if they'd made better than a three on their first observation check. I'm not going to start completely boxing out rolls based on class, you just happened to be the lucky one.

(We both know I'm the only person who would actually act on that knowledge, though. Taric might as well not even exist in this RTD and Tarran would have been all 'my character doesn't have any background in maintenance, he wouldn't know that.')
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:29:42 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: October 09, 2012, 01:19:18 pm »

Tarran Smith

"Sure, whatever, I have no idea what this stuff is anyway."

Go back to James. Stand 30 feet away from him at least.

Dominique has a decent point. Aside from a single security robot, and that thing went down pretty easily when you pulled it into a straight up fight, there isn't much for your gun to do here. [Luck 2] The water here has drained away, making the ground wet and smudged with oily grime, but unfortunately free of the trail you were hot on.
   You shrug and agree with Dom, turning back the way you came. You can pick the trail back up later, somehow. And all the better if you can pick it up while Taric isn't leering at you.
   The bottom floor of the restaurant is mostly as you left it. The water is gone except for puddles, and Jake is now sitting awkwardly across from James, bouncing his loaner gun on his palm, but those are really the only changes. The other door is still closed, and no horrors have decided to infest the room while your back was turned. Jake jumps a little and points a gun in your general direction when you make enough noise for him to hear you, but you identify yourself quickly and he lowers the gun abashedly. Being blind in here can't be easy.
   [Gather Information 4+1] You lean against one wall, keeping a watch on the room. Nothing happens except for Jake glancing at you occasionally. Sometimes he looks like he's about to speak, but he always stops, tongue held out of fear or uncertainty.   

---

Dominique Wakeman

"Boss, would you or Taric - if he'll stop flirting - go watch James for like two minutes while I fix this?" Dom asked, annoyed at the empath, while she traced the line back to where it came. She wasn't sure if she actually could fix it, or even get to where she needed to go to fix it, but at least attempting it was better than standing around and doing nothing.

Tarran volunteers to head back and check on James, leaving Taric to peer around the empty bay and leaving you to follow the line. Taric volunteers to stay behind and take a look around, maybe check out some of the other rooms. You don't stop him. More information is always good, and he can take care of himself well enough. Besides, his mood seems to have gone from bored but reasonably helpful to crudely joking. You might kill him if he followed you and kept that mood.
    You walk out of the small bay, tracing the line as quickly as you can. You pass back in front of the broken door to the restaurant and continue past. A couple other ridges join the first, snaking in from halls. Nothing tries to kill you, and so you ignore the halls and focus on your target. You walk for more than a couple minutes, taking a couple turns that lead you generally away from the restaurant. You'd estimate that you're about halfway back up the V-split in distance, if a great deal lower.
    [? Mind Bend 3 Vs Dom P.Empathetics 3] You stop, suddenly confused. You had a good reason for being here, you were doing something... Something that was important. [Will 4] You look up at the ridges in the ceiling, confused at their existence for a moment before you remember what you were doing. It isn't easy, like remembering a dream you had while drunk, but it comes back gradually. You remember something of this feeling, something that reminds you of your limited mind duels with Trol. Someone is trying to make your forget what you're trying to do. [Empathetics 2+1] The feeling, however, is too weak and unfamiliar for your to do more than that.
    The door to the local power control is visible, marked by a warning with crossed lightning bolts, but another decent length of hallway separates you from it. Plenty of room for another attack against you.
   You suddenly feel very alone.

---

Aaron White

"Oh Come On Guys, It´s Not Omnious At All, What´s On Level 13 Anyway Eh?"

Cale and Henry shuffle in apprehension, remaining silent to your question. Paula, however, continues to be a font of useful information about everything not related to the inside of a maintenance shaft. "Growth labs, where we clone tissue for various different things," she explains, never taking her eyes off the elevator's rising floor gauge. "Some of the other researchers said it was bad luck to be on floor thirteen, but that was just maintenance talk." She winced suddenly, as if just realizing what she'd said. "No offense, old habits, but the labs were all normal. We didn't have anything dangerous, not like the Hotlabs, but it was still well equipped. They even had an ORS mother, it might even still be alive. Those things can live a lot longer than they're supposed to, even without the treatment they're supposed to get."
    Paula continues to talk, mostly unimportant things about the level. You know she's babbling, and she probably knows she's babbling, but it's better than screaming. The elevator actually arriving at floor thirteen cuts off her monologue as if it had never been.
   The doors open slowly. No grenade slips through, no hail of bullets reduces you to a bloody sponge, no shafts of burning light boil your brain in your skull. The hallway outside is empty. There are only two other elevators here, the others running out of shaft somewhere deeper. The hall splits ahead of you, laying out into three paths. According to Paula, straight ahead will bisect the entire level, with turnoffs to most parts of the labs, and will eventually take you to another set of elevators that run higher in the complex. The left half, and thus the left path, is supposed to be reserved mostly for the growth itself, and the right half is mostly for genetic engineering of the tissue. Paula does admit that she didn't spend a lot of time here.
    A wallscreen catches your eye, glowing with a blue error message, but you'll be damned if it's any error message you've ever seen before.

You are not alone. Tell the strangers that I'm still waiting for my book. Get to maintenance. Do not expect my help again. Thirteen fourty-seven eighty.
-N

---

James Evan

Sighing, James did as the shadow recommended, increasing the chemicals.

You've got two sources that are telling you to do something, at least for the increases. The cube isn't telling you to decrease anything, so you're going to leave that alone for a while. You open the first tab you ever looked through on the cube, hunting for the chemicals listed. They're there, and with only a moment of hesitation, you max them out.
   Nothing seems to happen for a long, long moment. But it does happen. The black tendrils that cut the sky into ribbons slow their course, their flowing motion congealing and eventually freezing. They don't stop, but you're facing glacial drift where you once faced an avalanche. As for yourself, you feel... lighter. Buoyed and warm. Temperature never seemed to matter before, but you definitely feel hot now.
   Bloodied and almost broken, the fallen waitress strikes in the moment of seeming salvation. [Acolyte Will 4+1 Vs 3+1] She seems unhindered by her injuries, or by the intervening space, as she leaps for you. [Acolyte Melee 1] [James Melee 1] The maneuver is poor and desperate, and on a better day you'd have caught her like a rambunctious kitten. But now your feet slide in the sand, slipping out from under you as her shoulder connects with your ribs. Both of you slip off the beach and roll into the water, just yards from the nearest black pillar. Something tells you it isn't going to be less dangerous, no matter how frozen its appearance.
   The woman's hands reaching for your throat tell you that she has unpleasant plans for your head and that pillar.

---

Turn Recap
Tarran guarding
Dominique getting bent
Aaron has arrived on floor thirteen
James is wrestling in the water with a topless woman

Relevant Items
Memory Stick (Dom)
Security Card November (Dom)
Broken Pad (Taric)
Ident Badge -Pyotr Ivanov- (Taric)
Ident Badge -Kira Masse- (Tarran)
Ident Badge -Naomi Weiss- (Tarran)
Unpowered Pad (Tarran)
L1RF Key (Tarran)

Spoiler: Aaron White (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Taric Sizier (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: October 09, 2012, 02:03:46 pm »

There was nothing for it but to press on. "Taric, would you come here and do a psychic sweep of the area to see if there are any little bastards around that might be interested in a pride parade?" she shouted back to him as she continued to move forward.

(Edited as requested.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:45:30 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: October 09, 2012, 02:38:05 pm »

There was nothing for it but to press on. "Taric, would you do a psychic sweep of the area and see if there are any little bastards around that might be interested in a pride parade?" she asked as she continued to move forward.

Taric is a long way behind you, he volunteered to stay behind and search rooms. His action kinda got shuffled into yours. You should still be able to shout at him, but he's not right there with you.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: October 09, 2012, 03:09:49 pm »

"Jake, unless it's something that is vital to save our lives or save other's lives, you don't need to tell us immediately. Take your time."

Wait and talk with Jake.
(unless there's something else I could do?)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:01:53 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: October 09, 2012, 04:23:42 pm »

"Did they do any of those fancy scmancy bio-medpacks up here or what kind of engineering, anything useful, at all?,
 And FYI, Im the stupid Reddie here remember, whats an ORS Mother?"

"...N?... Strangers, he mean someone is stupid enough to enter?.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:26:44 pm by Ahra »
Quite fucked indeed.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: October 09, 2012, 06:05:09 pm »

James beat at her with the butt of his shotgun. He had unpleasant plans for the shotgun butt and her head, and would rather like to avoid her plans.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:08:52 pm by Powder Miner »

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: October 11, 2012, 08:42:51 am »

I just noticed this, but the team has been carrying around james, and james apparently is incredibly smelly. Maybe the water?

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: October 11, 2012, 03:02:13 pm »

I just noticed this, but the team has been carrying around james, and james apparently is incredibly smelly. Maybe the water?
That falls under "Too much of a bother" like actually checking his mind you´re telepaths for christ´s sake
Quite fucked indeed.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:14 pm »

Even if we checked his mind, what could we possibly do to help him?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: October 11, 2012, 04:27:22 pm »

In addition to that, Tarran is a passive kinetic; he can't actually do anything psychic on command. Dom is an active kinetic and only deals with destroying stuff. Taric, although an active empath, is both not here and all he can do is make people feel things, not actually read their mind or anything. As far as I'm aware.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: October 12, 2012, 09:09:07 am »

"Did they do any of those fancy scmancy bio-medpacks up here or what kind of engineering, anything useful, at all?,
 And FYI, Im the stupid Reddie here remember, whats an ORS Mother?"

"...N?... Strangers, he mean someone is stupid enough to enter?.

Oh, i checked the Wiki and found out what ors:s are, is this O.R.S Mother something that they "Grow" from like an bush?
Quite fucked indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 602