Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526737 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2: Getting punched out by an imaginary tropical waitress
« Reply #7485 on: September 14, 2012, 11:02:30 pm »

(Powder, no offense, but if James dies and Tarran mentions he had brain fungus to her - since I'm pretty sure he told Tarran that, at least - Dom's Fuath'ing your body into an unrecognizable mass. >.>)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: September 14, 2012, 11:31:42 pm »

Oh, you don't need to worry terribly about that. Even if things got really bad, James died, and the fungus flowered, you wouldn't get the same brand. His was empathetically programmed to not kill him, yours would have no such compunctions.

Actually, never mind, worrying terribly about that might be a good idea.
Oh dear god.

"Simple approach" means that you should probably break the door down.
You put that in Taric's turn, and you didn't mention Taric saying anything to my character afterwards.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: September 15, 2012, 02:16:02 am »

"Simple approach" means that you should probably break the door down.
You put that in Taric's turn, and you didn't mention Taric saying anything to my character afterwards.

He is, for all intents and purposes, an NPC. Since it makes you happy I'll put something in magical quotation marks, but since you can spontaneously cause him to run down stairs and do your bidding, we can safely assume that you can actually talk to him.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: September 15, 2012, 02:30:45 am »

He is, for all intents and purposes, an NPC.
...Which means nothing for my concerns.

we can safely assume that you can actually talk to him.
Dude, that's completely unrelated to the problem I brought up. I never complained about not being able to talk to him.

"I know that it's closed already, dude. I was asking about if you've managed to find a way to open it."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:21:01 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: September 15, 2012, 02:32:49 am »

(Read the turn again. He told you how to open it.

EDIT: And if you want a Slam I'll be down there next turn, I just wanna check the men's bathroom first and see if I luck out a second time. :D Also I'd offer you this assault rifle but you got too much crap on you to carry it...)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:35:34 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: September 15, 2012, 02:51:00 am »

(Read the turn again. He told you how to open it.
I read it again. How else would I think of a response?

He told me it was closed and to open something closed the brute force way to open it is to blow it up. But my character is asking something completely different. My character is asking if he made any progress on opening the door by messing with it, not how to open the door.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: September 15, 2012, 04:39:23 am »

Charge, i love this bone spike
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: September 15, 2012, 10:41:34 am »

He is, for all intents and purposes, an NPC.
...Which means nothing for my concerns.

It should. I don't do all the lines for NPCs and they act pretty much as extensions of the players. It means something because there is some amount of assumed dialogue, detailed below.

we can safely assume that you can actually talk to him.
Dude, that's completely unrelated to the problem I brought up. I never complained about not being able to talk to him.

Again, no, not at all. Feel it safe to believe that if I specifically quote a statement of yours and reply to it, I am probably replying in a related manner. When you called him over I didn't put a single bit of actual dialogue in your turn, and the dialogue in your action only went as far as telling him you had a job for him, and yet, somehow, he came over there and did what you wanted. He didn't come down and spend twenty minutes asking what you wanted.

This follows the law of assumed NPC-PC dialogue. If two PC's are performing an action that generates public details (Something I write) then the amount of assumed dialogue is nil, otherwise it robs the PC's of their RP opportunities. However, if an NPC and PC are together and the NPC performs on action with public details, then we have some assumed dialogue. This to avoid the restatement of what has already been said, otherwise I have to A. Copy every single detail into everyone's different turn blocks, B. render every single detail anyone ever sees into dialogue instead of describing it, or C. double up and simultaneously describe everything while also having every PC/NPC in the game describe everything they're doing 24/7.

But, just for you, instead of you spending a turn doing something useful and advancing the plot, I'll humor you and you can spend a turn talking to Taric.

Charge, i love this bone spike

You're too close to charge, just a plain old melee attack okay?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: September 15, 2012, 12:13:26 pm »

(How big a Slam do you think it would take for me to knock it down? I'm thinking about twenty points when I get there.

EDIT: That's a rhetorical question, just something to talk about until I actually do it. ^^^; For those who forgot and don't feel like looking it up on the wiki, one point in a slam is two hundred pounds of force.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:17:39 pm by SeriousConcentrate »

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: September 15, 2012, 12:32:06 pm »

plain old stabby stabby then?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: September 15, 2012, 01:32:15 pm »

(How big a Slam do you think it would take for me to knock it down? I'm thinking about twenty points when I get there.

EDIT: That's a rhetorical question, just something to talk about until I actually do it. ^^^; For those who forgot and don't feel like looking it up on the wiki, one point in a slam is two hundred pounds of force.)

I would actually bump it up into the thirties, thirty to thirty-five. I seriously need to refine some of these calculations, my original force calculations were off by about an order of magnitude... But that's a discussion for another time.

plain old stabby stabby then?

Unless you want to go for an aimed attack, yes.

---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: September 15, 2012, 01:34:25 pm »

(35? O.o Well, I suppose I could manage that...)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: September 15, 2012, 03:14:18 pm »

I don't do all the lines for NPCs and they act pretty much as extensions of the players. It means something because there is some amount of assumed dialogue, detailed below.
This follows the law of assumed NPC-PC dialogue. If two PC's are performing an action that generates public details (Something I write) then the amount of assumed dialogue is nil, otherwise it robs the PC's of their RP opportunities. However, if an NPC and PC are together and the NPC performs on action with public details, then we have some assumed dialogue.
The problem is you didn't give me any reason to assume Taric told me anything. No "Taric relays his ideas to back to Tarran", just "Maybe the simple approach would be best here" as if it was self-pondering.

This left me with two opposing choices: Assume Taric told me nothing and I should wait for him to speak to me, or assume Taric told me something and react however to that. The latter, to me, seemed more sensible, so I picked the latter.

But, just for you, instead of you spending a turn doing something useful and advancing the plot, I'll humor you and you can spend a turn talking to Taric.
Hey, don't blame it all on me, you're the one who chooses to respond to dialog inside turns rather than outside. If you responded outside of turns, neither I nor you would have to wait several turns for a conversation to get done. In addition, it's your fault for making Taric respond mostly inappropriately to a simple question.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:27:04 pm by Tarran »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: September 15, 2012, 03:43:41 pm »

Hey, would you have prefered me making a snarky comment and actually misleading you about the door? :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: September 15, 2012, 03:59:42 pm »

Yes, because then you would be doing something rather than being an NPC.

More seriously, also yes. Then we wouldn't have had trouble with assuming what you've said.
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 602