Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 602

Author Topic: Deviation-22. The End of All Things.  (Read 526246 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Deviation-22, Ch. 2 Why Tarran should not give lessons in morality.
« Reply #7290 on: August 17, 2012, 11:47:58 pm »

"Thanks, Tarran. Be a damn relief to get off my feet for a minute." Dom sighed as she sat down and closed her eyes. "I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack, Boss, but I'm gonna hazard a guess. Think the reason these people got gunned down was because they didn't wanna get crammed in those fuckin' suits?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: August 17, 2012, 11:54:28 pm »

"Subject... Status? Sample... 18? ...I'm the ...subject ...aren't I?"James watched "Subject Status" and "Sample 18 Status".

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: August 18, 2012, 12:59:12 am »

"Sounds about right, but couldn't they have just knocked them out if they didn't want to get put in those suits though?"
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: August 18, 2012, 01:26:40 am »

"Hell if I know. Probably to 'make an example' of them." Dom spit on the ground. "I never did like politics in the first place, tried to keep clear of it, and then the fucking Technocracy kidnaps my husband right out of our home while I'm at work, then kidnaps me out of my bed and I get shipped off to some distant fucking planet or moon or whatever the hell we're on with a terrorist and two insane yahoos because I have 'psychic potential' or some such horseshit, which, I wanna add, I never would have found out about and learned how to use if they hadn't pulled this bullshit, I get press-ganged into some rebel group I really don't share the beliefs of, and I've been fighting for my life for however long it's been since we woke up on that fucking shuttle, and all I wanted out of life was Jeff, some beer, an idiot to punch, some crates to stack, and maybe a pair of sons a few years down the road, but all this shit..." Dominique finally wound down with a sigh, rubbing her forehead with both hands. "Is that too much to ask, Boss? Just a man who could put up with me and a steady job?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: August 18, 2012, 01:43:15 am »

"'Terrorist'? That hurts, you know. I'm trying to fight against the Technocracy's methods of terrorism and oppression and as a result I'm a terrorist myself? Bah."

"...Anyway, yes, that's too much to ask for apparently, based on you being here."
Tarran joked. "More seriously, most people don't always get what they want, and others even less than that. Everyone here that isn't here by choice likely falls in the latter category."
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: August 18, 2012, 03:38:27 am »

"Yeah, you're an alright kid, now that I know you Boss. But hell, I was a normal citizen. Members of the Unchained had a certain... romance about them, I guess, but that was still what we were told and I never thought no different." Dom ran a hand through her hair. "Well... maybe Jeff was shipped here too, and I'll stumble across him. Probably too much to hope for, but it's something, and you gotta have something to keep you going. Like you and the rebellion." She thought for a few moments. "What do you think about that Ash chick? What's she here for?"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: August 18, 2012, 03:45:45 am »

"I don't know, I seem to recall her saying something about a 'mission' back whenever I tried to do diplomacy with the diplomacyless, so I think the reason she's at this base is because she's got a mission. But as for why she's on this godless moon in the first place? I have no idea."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: August 19, 2012, 01:17:16 pm »

Tarran Smith

"Goddammit, I really wish I had that flashlight we lost in that big room right about now. Goddamn immortals shooting our shit. Go ahead and sit Dom, we're not going to have much luck until we get Taric's flashlight back here or find a light switch.

Also it doesn't look like these guys had anything on them. No guns, grenades, knives, or anything else. Just more damn IDs. Whoever gunned down these guys is a merciless SOB."

Check the walls for a light switch.

You walk carefully away from the railing, resolving to find some way of getting the lights on before you end up killing yourself. You talk with Dominique as you search the walls for anything useful, your topic of conversation ranging from life's general non-cooperation to the reason for Ashley being here.
 [Observation 4] The walls that you can see are mostly clean, grooved to house ambient lighting strips, but not featuring any obvious way to turn them on. [Intuition 5] This is, you remind yourself, a restaurant.  Restaurants usually don't have switches out where a disgruntled or inebriated patron can "accidentally" flick them off and darken the place, and even if they did, all the hallways are out as well, strongly hinting that primary power has been cut to this level.
   If there is a way to bring any lighting up, whether the main lights or emergency lighting, it would probably be in the authorized personnel part of the restaurant.

---

Dominique Wakeman

"Ugh... Boss, can we stop for a moment? Something... weird is going on with my eyes, I think I need to shut them for a bit. I can barely see anything." Dom looked around for a chair or, preferably, some sofa-like seating that she could lie down on and rest her eyes momentarily.

You stop and shake your head, trying to make your eyes stop playing tricks. It doesn't help. You look for something to rest on a while, [luck 5] finding a padded waiting bench set into the wall near the destroyed door. Part of it was annihilated by the bulk of the door careening through it, but there's enough left for you to lie down and stretch out a bit.
    You lie down and close your eyes, talking with Tarran as you try and rest a little. You really aren't all that tired, despite your recent exertions, [End 3] (+9 stamina) but the rest is fairly nice. You don't manage to drift off to sleep, rooms filled with bodies and the smell of slightly burned metal have that effect, but you do feel better for having gotten off your feet for a moment.

---

James Evan

"Subject... Status? Sample... 18? ...I'm the ...subject ...aren't I?"James watched "Subject Status" and "Sample 18 Status".

You pull the Subject Status tab while She watches from over your shoulder. You have excellent reason to believe that you are the subject here, and things about you that are pulsing and red are the kind of things you like to pay attention to.
   The screen shifts slightly as the new page tiles out. It's a basic report, a little difficult to read thanks to the bright tropical sun and the paleness of image, but you can manage.

Spoiler: Subject Status (click to show/hide)

[Intelligence 2] Uh... Well. It seems that... Maybe it... ... No, you don't really have any idea.  A few things are pretty obvious, like Heart rate and blood pressure, but you have no idea whether a cerebral activity of 93Hz means that you're thinking hard, or if it means that part of your brain is about to explode.
   There is a single additional tab on this pane, "Control Options".

---

Aaron White

You slump against the side of the maintenance shaft, catching your breath and hoping the burn on your leg feels worse than it is. You knew running the blockade would be dangerous as hell, even with perfect timing and the element of surprise, but you weren't prepared for this. The only consolation is that the former sek who was supposed to be leading this expedition wasn't prepared either, at least not enough to avoid losing a chunk of his skull in the first thirty seconds. You exhale slowly and wish you had something to smoke. Baron's death had left you in charge of finding a way up an out through this hell of concrete, dirt, metal, and hate.
   Paula is on the other side of the duct, trying hopelessly to stop the constant flow of blood from a six inch tear in Henry's stomach. Cale is standing guard at the entrance, desperately doing something other than watch Henry bleed out on the floor. Baron should have been giving some form of quietly inspiring speech about carrying on, but that was difficult to do when your brain was playing hide and seek with your skull. You grimace and unscrew your helmet, the lowlight filters switching off the instant it leaves your head. You can still hear Henry dying, but it's a little better than being forced to watch it. 
    This seemed so much more possible when there were five of you, Baron a guard, Paula a former scientist, Cale and Henry both second-tier maintenance workers, and then you, the red maintenance brute. With Baron dead, Henry dying, and everyone else sporting some kind of a wound, things ain't rosy. But it isn't like there's much point in turning back. You need to make it out, or die trying. You need to find the hangars, a usable emergency exit, or at least a goddamn crack in the ceiling.
   [Cale Observation 5 Vs Immortal Dex 3+1] "Shit," Cale curses, stumbling backwards and running back to the rest of you. "I can hear 'em behind us. They're still coming."
    You grimace and screw your helmet back on. Of course they're still coming, wouldn't be like them to cut you a break after almost butchering you. This isn't your homefield, but it's close enough that you've got a decent enough lay of the land to know the three major routes out of here that won't deadend. The first is an up'n'up ladder a ways down this corridor, service for the air processors on the testing field above you. From there you should be able to bypass the field itself and get up onto the nineteenth floor. The nineteenth floor is the high-military checkpoint, and supposedly one of the Shifting man's strongest points, it's also where your knowledge of the maintenance systems end.  The second path is a sloping part of the the chute that's used to transport large pieces of machinery down from the primary maintenance floors and into red maintenance. There's a lift at the end of the slope, and you suppose it leads all the way up to the primary maintenance floor (you've never actually been, you and the other workers from the Red just made the pickup at the bottom of the shaft), but the chances of the lift being there -or working- are minimal. You might be able to repel up the shaft, but that's a bit of a long shot. The last option was to keep going straight for as long as you could outdistance the Shifting Man's goons, and then exit the shaft and head up onto the main floors.There would at least be light in the main corridors and the possibility of a normal stairwell. That, however, would make you a lot easier to track.
   "We can't leave him," Paula protests. She's looking at Cale in a stricken way that makes you realize that you missed part of a conversation. You'd guess that the subject is Henry.
   "We have to, he can't walk and we can't stay," Cale says, not actually looking at her as he speaks.
   They both turn to look at you, reminding you that you're one who has to make these decisions now. You or Cale could probably carry Henry for a little while, he wasn't exactly a big guy, but there's no way in hell that you could climb a ladder or repel up the lift with him, slimming your three bad options to one bad option.
   You grunt and stand up, buying yourself a little time to think. The makeshift bandage that Paula put on him is already soaked red, and odds are he's going to die in pretty short order, but he's still alive for right now. Moving him might aggravate his injuries, but leaving him behind to those... things definitely will.

Spoiler: Tarran Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dominique Wakeman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  James Evan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aaron White (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:23:55 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: August 19, 2012, 02:45:56 pm »

Feel around for a set of stairs.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: August 19, 2012, 03:22:32 pm »

`Sigh... nothings ever easy here huh? 6 months and this is what happens outside the main floor, Christ this sucks.`

"I Dont know what you guys think but if we are to get the hell outta here with Henry, We gotta get moving NOW, I can probably
haul ass with him piggyback for a couple of minutes, but i pray to god you can stop the bleeding now, beacause were not stopping until were out of these shafts and in the corridors or with 5 Inches of steel between us... and them, got it?"

Edit: HELL YES, IM IN, and with good timing, school starts tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:26:23 pm by Ahra »
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: August 19, 2012, 04:19:50 pm »

James began to show the display to Blight, but then decided not to, figuring she wouldn't understand either, deciding to look at "Control Options". "I... don't really understand what this is saying. Wait a minute. ...Control Options?"
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:29:15 pm by Powder Miner »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: August 19, 2012, 05:19:20 pm »

Hey, might James finally get his mind back under his control? THE SUSPENSE!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: August 19, 2012, 05:41:02 pm »

Dom got back up and looked around to see if her vision had gotten any better.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: August 19, 2012, 07:08:10 pm »

Hey, might James finally get his mind back under his control? THE SUSPENSE!

Probably not from that particular menu.

In other news, corrected an error in Ahra's companions, corrected an error in HP values (probably sprung up with the weight errors when players gained stats), and PM'd Wolfchild in a bad Italian accent. Because Italian accents solve everything.

And, DEAR GOD YOU BASTARDS ARE POSTING FAST NOW! It's kind of freaking me out. Just for the record, since we started running by timelocks instead of by blocks, we have now covered seven turns (Hopefully eight by the end of today) in three days. Granted, that isn't with everybody posting, but it's still a wee bit better than we've been doing.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: August 19, 2012, 07:14:30 pm »

Hey, we love this game. Give us moar and we'll post moar. :D
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 602